dual install PLinux with Windows 98 on Dell Inspiron 3000

Booting, installing, newbie
ecomguy

dual install PLinux with Windows 98 on Dell Inspiron 3000

#1 Post by ecomguy »

I have pieced together some step by step instructions from the Puppy forums and other Linux forms to try to make sure I get the installation right before charging ahead. I still have some key questions remaining though, so I wonder if the experts among you could comment on the proposed steps below for I partition and install on an existing Windows 98 hard drive for dual boot capability. In other words, when I

J_Rey

#2 Post by J_Rey »

Well, if you want to try Puppy out w/o resizing existing partitions, etc. you could try my Pup4DOS then install to Linux partition later....

ecomguy

#3 Post by ecomguy »

J_Rey,
Thanks for the suggestion. Your Pup4DOS solution worked beautifully, even though I loaded the lastest 2.02 version. As you guessed I wanted a "trial" installation of PL. If it works well enough, I may completely eliminate Windows 98 from my laptop PC and reinstall PL, giving it access to the entire hard drive. But, for now, this proved a quick and trouble-free way to get started giving Puppy Linux 2.02 a trial. I am now into issues of getting dial up connectivity to work, etc., but this probably has everything to do with my lack of understanding of PL 2.02, and nothing to do with Pup4DOS.

For the benefit of others who might want to try this solution, I followed the link provided by J_Rey in his post,
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pup4DOS
downloaded the zip file, and followed Pup4DOS directions on the Web site and in the PUP4DOS.txt file that came with the zipped download. Of course, I also had to follow directions for a regular PL 2.02 installation.

In the PUP4DOS.TXT file the only variation I had to make was with the files loaded. This txt file only talks about PL versions 1.xx, not 2.xx, and there has been change in the name and number of files to load for initial installation. The txt file says this:

"To install with Puppy Linux 1.x on hda1 (C:\):
* Copy puppy.bat from c:\puppy to c:\
* Extract/copy the Puppy Linux files (vmlinuz, image.gz, & usr_cram.fs) from the CD image (e.g. puppy-1.0.8-mozilla.iso) or from the actual CD/DVD to c:\"

And I modified my procedure as if it said this:

"To install with Puppy Linux 2.x on hda1 (C:\):
* Copy puppy.bat from c:\puppy to c:\
* Extract/copy the Puppy Linux files (vmlinuz, initrd.gz & pup_2xx.sfs) from the CD image (e.g. puppy-2.02-seamonkey.iso) or from the actual CD/DVD to c:\"

And off I went, right into the installation routine. As with most new users I was happy to see the Puppy desktop appear after jumping through a few hoops based on prompts that appeared during the PL 2.02 installation routine.

J_Rey

#4 Post by J_Rey »

Glad to hear Pup4DOS worked smoothly enough for you. Thanks for the reminder to update it, also. :oops: