How to install MPLABX IDE in Puppy?

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
mister_electronico

How to install MPLABX IDE in Puppy?

#1 Post by mister_electronico »

I had tryed install mplabx-ide-v1.run download for linux from http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en ... #downloads (Downloads tab)

but I I don't know how install binary files .run in puppy

Someone can help?

Thanks.

SFR

#2 Post by SFR »

Hey mister_electronico.

Definitely I'm not a hardware_guy, but out of curiosity I downloaded mplabx-ide-v1.10-linux-installer.run and it installs and seems to work (whatever it really does ;)) fine, at least in my Lupuplus-528.005.

.run files usually are kind of self-executable archives/installers.

First of all, make sure that the file is set to be executable - open terminal window in a folder where the file is and:

Code: Select all

chmod +x mplabx-ide-v1.10-linux-installer.run
and then:

Code: Select all

./mplabx-ide-v1.10-linux-installer.run
Windows-like installer should appear.

I've noticed that there's no menu entry.
After installation /usr/share/applications/mplab.desktop file must be edited:
line 8: Categories=Utility
and then fixmenus in a console, to get an entry in Puppy menu.

Or run it using mplab_ide in a console.

HTH
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

mister_electronico

yes I did it

#3 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi SFR thanks for you reply.

Yes I did it :

chmod +x mplabx-ide-v1.10-linux-installer.run

but when I did

./mplabx-ide-v1.10-linux-installer.run

nothing happens, gjves no message.

Maybe the problem is a frugal instalation and I am working with slacko puppy 5.31.

Or maybe I need some program for work .run flies.

Ok I'll checkit with puppy 5.28

Thanks SFR

SFR

#4 Post by SFR »

nothing happens, gjves no message.
Indeed! :shock:
Tried with Slacko, Wary and Saluki, and no go.
Sorry, but I've no idea what Lucid has those other Pups don't have...

BTW, I've noticed, that JRE-1.6 must be present in the system, too.

Good luck with this & Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

mister_electronico

I got to got to the end..

#5 Post by mister_electronico »

I got install MPLABX at last, I'd download Lupuplus-528.005 and I'd installed (frugal) , and later Install MPLABX but had problem with the size of pubsave, and then resize to 1024 Mb.

Install again like you did and then load the program perfect :

I made Icon_desktop for MPLAB with executable path like you said:

/usr/share/applications/mplab.desktop

The icon I used is in:

/opt/microchip/mplabx/mplab_ide/etc/mchplog48.ico

I not have any problem in load the program know so thank you very much SFR.

But when I run the program I have a problem, I can't build the project because the program said me no can't find the command "make".

I check in Google and nothing find so I think is difficult get works a big program like MPLABX in linux, because the same thing happen in Debian...

Anyway thanks againg SFR ... Greeatings|

SFR

#6 Post by SFR »

Hi, good to see there is some progress. :)
[...] the program said me no can't find the command "make".
If this is the same "make" I'm thinking of, the solution might be "developer tools" SFS:
lupu_devx_528-4.sfs
(download, then right-click -> sfs_load, to install it).
Worth a try...

Greetings!

mister_electronico

No is the make of the C compiler

#7 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi SFR, the problem the command of make in not the "make" belong to the C compiler, I think is a "make" of MPLABX command. I think so,
because the program can't find this command when have to build one project.

Anyway I'll try with lupu_devx_528-4.sfs.

I need take a rest because is hard install MPLABX in linux, and I had installed Kicad too and I have problems too.

The first problem is there aren't too much information about this programs in Internet.

Thanks SFR I'll tell you my progress when I'll get it.

Freddow

#8 Post by Freddow »

This thread is fairly old, but I thought I'd document my experience in case anyone is searching...

I am using a frugal installation of Precise Puppy 5.6.1.
I found that MPLABX IDE versions 1.85 and 1.90 both worked quite well in Puppy, with a bug or two.

These are the steps I went through:
1. Install the puppy development package. Puppy doesn't come with the "make" command, but it is included in this handy package. The file is called devx_precise_5.6.1.sfs. If you are not familiar with sfs files, have a look on the forum for how to download and install the one for your version of Puppy.
2. Download the Linux version of MPLABX from the Microchip downloads page (currently http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en ... #downloads).
3. This gives you a file like this: MPLABX-v1.90-linux-installer.run. You need to make this executable (right-click -> permissions), and then run it. The installer worked perfectly for me. The installation does take a lot of space, so you need to make sure your save file is large enough (from memory it probably needs a Gb or so).
4. You will need a compiler to suit your PIC. Microchip has a couple of free ones, I used the one called XC8. Again, this is a .run file, and it installed seamlessly for me.

I have been using the PICkit 3, and it works well - just plug it in and MPLABX recognises it.

I'll document the bug(s?) in another post, to see if anyone might be able to help me.

Freddow

Problems using the editor in MPLABX

#9 Post by Freddow »

Ok, now for my problem.
The MPLABX IDE has a very nice editor to help you write your c code. There is a problem though, which I will try to explain:
The editor works fine if I use the keyboard and don't use the mouse. If I do use the mouse, it also works fine, but then won't let me use the keyboard. So for example, I can type in the editor, but then if I highlight something with the mouse, I can no longer type. I can copy/paste etc. with the mouse, but the visible cursor disappears and I can no longer type.
There is a workaround, if I go to another file (the files are listed in tabs, so I click on another tab), then I can keyboard again. So after using the mouse, I click on another tab, then back to the one I was editing.
The problem also shows up in the occasional dialogue box. For example when I created a new project I could not give it a name, because I couldn't type in the box.

The website indicates that the program has been written for/tested on Ubuntu. Can anyone think of a difference that may cause this symptom?

Freddow

#10 Post by Freddow »

Just an update, I have now installed the latest version of MPLABX 2.0. The editor problem described above remains...

mister_electronico

This thread is fairly old

#11 Post by mister_electronico »

Yes this thread is fairly old, I put in another post

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91638

I do not have that problem, my keyboard and my mouse work together smoothly.

I use Slacko puppy 5.6.

Could it be that some file did not have execution permission?

Maybe some library is diferent, if you need some help abour this say me.

I use MplabX 2.0 with MpLab ICD3 working perfect.

See you.

Freddow

Re: This thread is fairly old

#12 Post by Freddow »

mister_electronico wrote: Could it be that some file did not have execution permission?

Maybe some library is diferent, if you need some help abour this say me.
Yes, some help would be good!
Is there anything I can do to give more information? I installed in /opt/Mplab .... I could try in /mnt/home/... like you did perhaps?
Thanks,

mister_electronico

Maybe is...

#13 Post by mister_electronico »

I have no idea, but I do not think that is the directory where you install the program.

I think the problem may be in the form the Java of MplabX interacting with your operating system.

I remember when I put this post, I got install MplabX in puppy 5.28, but I remember that I had a problem similar to yours.

Now I have no problem with Slacko Puppy 5.6 PAE.

I think is difficult meet any solution.

See you.