So I spilled water on my notebook....

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Loko

So I spilled water on my notebook....

#1 Post by Loko »

My problem seem to be that the electrical signal from the keys to my notebook are not working as intended anymore. Some keys do not respond to input whereas others return multiple keys when pressed, some keys just suddenly get an unstoppable desire to be pressed down continuously. The mousepad still works fine.

Is there any way I could "reset" the keyboard so to speak?
Any way I can disable the keyboard?
I´ve tried plugging in a wireless keybord, but the notebook couldn't detect it. Is there a tool I can use to diagnose any problems and help me get that working?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Was it just clean water or was it dirty or sugary? How much water? Was the keyboard saturated or was it just a bit wet? Did you remove the battery right away to prevent electrolytic corrosion, and leave it out until you were sure the keyboard was dry? What did you do to dry it out? How long did you wait before putting the battery back in?

If it was clean water and you instantly removed the battery when the water spilled on the keyboard, there's a good chance it will work if you thoroughly dry it out before replacing the battery. It takes longer than you might think to thoroughly dry something like a keyboard. The best way to dry out any trapped water that remains after you give it a good shaking is to get it pretty hot (40 C at least) for several days. Again, without the battery.

Loko

#3 Post by Loko »

Flash wrote:Was it just clean water or was it dirty or sugary? How much water? Was the keyboard saturated or was it just a bit wet? Did you remove the battery right away to prevent electrolytic corrosion, and leave it out until you were sure the keyboard was dry? What did you do to dry it out? How long did you wait before putting the battery back in?

If it was clean water and you instantly removed the battery when the water spilled on the keyboard, there's a good chance it will work if you thoroughly dry it out before replacing the battery. It takes longer than you might think to thoroughly dry something like a keyboard. The best way to dry out any trapped water remaining after you give it a good shaking is to get it pretty hot (40 C at least) for several days. Again, without the battery.
Clean water, some water but not satuated. Id say half full cup. I did not remove the battery, but placed it top side on a heating unit for about an hour. I had some contacts on email that I needed to get into contact with. It seemed to work well for everything save the keys. Its a samsung N150Plus, with the battery at the bottom behind the fully functional mouse pad. I dont believe it has taken any damage.

Ill try heating it without the battery.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Keep us posted. :)

puppyluvr

#5 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Put it in a bag of uncooked rice overnight.....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

remove all screws you can remove to let the humidity vanish and not condensate .