slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#441 Post by 01micko »

Hi oldyeller,

Just do a check that your mic is enabled in Retrovol by right clicking the speaker icon in the tray. There should be 2 choices, front and rear, also make sure the capture is checked and increase the slider accordingly.

You can also do the same thing with alsamixer, the Mixer -generic in the multimedia menu will start alsamixer.

HTH.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

oldyeller

#442 Post by oldyeller »

Hi Mick

Thanks for the Help it works now

oldyeller
Last edited by oldyeller on Thu 17 May 2012, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

cowboy

slacko and rt2500usb wlan0

#443 Post by cowboy »

Slacko 5.3.3 has been stable on my Intel Brookdale chip. However, needed to make a small fix to get my Linksys Wusb54 dongle working. Newer versions of the kernel use a defaulted power management mode that will not allow these older Linksys to get a valid IP address from your router. You can see the connection in Puppy's various connection methods - you'll see wlan0 "rtusb2500" module in either the Simple Network Setup, or in the Classic Network Setup. However, the connection simply will not complete, especially if using WPA2 encryption. The fix:

1. To see the issue type "iwconfig" in a terminal. Note that power management is listed as "on".
2. To turn it off, type in "iwconfig wlan0 power off". You should then be able to make a connection. To survive reboot, you need to:
3. Open the file at /etc/rc.d/rc.local with a text editor. Create a new line at the bottom that says "iwconfig wlan0 power off" Save the file.
4. On reboot, your connection should still hold. To test it, type "iwconfig" into the terminal, and power management should be listed as off.

Hope this helps someone else. My situation may be unique - perhaps a combination of older kit, WPA2 encryption on the router, and the fact that I run "AES" encryption on the router (a WRT54G) solely.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

Volhout

Re: webcam in eeepc

#444 Post by Volhout »

01micko,

any idea how I can proceed ? For attachment, see my earlier post (1 page back)

Volhout

Volhout wrote:Inside my eeepc there is a webcam. It is not a USB device (not found in HW info under USB), but probably a video input device.

It is however not listed under /dev/video (symlink to /dev/video0).
I found some info under input devices (see attached).

oldyeller

#445 Post by oldyeller »

Hi Mick,

I downloaded woof and doing a build on slaoko 5.3.3

I am missing a pet called glade3_DEV-3.6.7-1-w5c.pet also psync 2.8 went on the internet and still can;t seem to find them.

Any ideas?

Thanks
oldyeller

Tman

#446 Post by Tman »

Oldyeller,

From the Wary repository: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/

I've found a slightly different version-name here -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... .7-w5c.pet

oldyeller

#447 Post by oldyeller »

Hi Tman

I found the same one yesterday I guess I will have to change the specs on this to use it. I have found psync 2.6 in slacko at ibiblio. I also found psync 2.7 ui.pet not sure if I can use this or not.

Thanks
oldyeller

Brown Mouse

#448 Post by Brown Mouse »

Been using Slacko533 since the day of release and it's just magnificent!Crystal clear graphics,low resources and everything functions to perfection on my hardware.
Thanks again Mick
Attachments
Slacko533.jpg
(99.12 KiB) Downloaded 578 times

don570

#449 Post by don570 »

If you're looking for a very small note taking program
(4k uncompressed) try YAD-note.
Just click an orange dot in the tray and the note pops up

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78272

sszindian

Slacko-5.3.3

#450 Post by sszindian »

5-3.3

Runs like a dream! haven't found any faults with weeks of testing.

Awhile back in this thread I mentioned that 'slideshow-0.1' did NOT work with Slacko... only Puppy version that it hasn't so far... I asked if there was a 'fix' or an alternative? (Never received an answer to that question?)

Anyway...Since then, I found xscreensaver-15 in the official slacko repo but, that says it doesn't support the GL ??? Is there a work-around for this or is there something else one might try? This is about the only feature Slacko lacks (at least for me!)

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#451 Post by Lobster »

'slideshow-0.1' did NOT work
Go to folder with images
click on image
press f5

Any good?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

sszindian

Screensaver-Slideshow

#452 Post by sszindian »

Lobster:

Pretty neat... yes it works!

It doesn't give the 'nice-effects' changing pictures that slideshow or screensaver does and not automatic when screen goes blank after 10-minutes (like xscreensaver) with slideshow-0.1, I had an icon on the desktop that did a nice job and had some nice ways of changing pictures, boy, if someone can do a script that will start the f5-one automatically? That would be nice!

Anyway Lobster, 'thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

lluamco

#453 Post by lluamco »

Hewlett-Packard's Linux Imaging and Printing software (HPLIP) provides drivers to Print, Scan and Fax for capable all-in-one HP devices.
For a list of supported devices, see http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... bined.html

Lite versions of this software are available in the puppy linux world since long time ago, allowing printing and scanning,
but excluding faxing and lacking of the hplip's Graphical User Interface (GUI). See for instance:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 317#439468 or
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 080#444080

Some people are happy with hplip lite versions. Others may like having access to full hplip capabilities.
This has a price to be paid: hplip has a large amount of dependencies.
I have done the exercise to look for all dependencies for implementing a properly running version of full hplip in slacko-5.3.3,
and have made the package hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet,
a ~60MB file which expands to ~300 MB -be sure to have enough room in your save file!! ,
that includes the dependencies:

dbus-python-0.83.1-i486-1.txz
net-snmp-5.6.1-i486-1.txz
pygobject-2.26.0-i486-1.txz
PyQt-4.8.1-i486-1.txz
python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz (see technical note #1)
qt-4.7.0_hplip.txz (cut-down version of qt-4.7.0.txz)
reportlab-2.5-i686-1sl.txz
sip-4.11.2-i486-1.txz
and the latest hplip (hplip-3.12.4)
hplip-3.12.4.pet

This hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet is available at http://bit.ly/2kCMVNa
and handles the installation of all the above mentioned packages automatically.
The installation takes some non-negligible time (~5 minutes, depending on the processor's machine, of course) and,
when finished, the hp-setup GUI should automatically appear to help installing your HP printer(s).

USE NOTES:
1. For network printers to be detected, firewall should be off
2. Network printers are better handled using the SLP network discovery method (in the advanced option of the setup program)
3. When scanning is activated from the hp-toolbox GUI, scanned files can ONLY be saved in non-root owner directories.
By default, they are suggested to be saved in spot user's directory.

TECHNICAL NOTE:
1. python is included in the dev_slacko file. In case it is already found in the system, it is not overwritten.
Last edited by lluamco on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#454 Post by Jasper »

Questions now withdrawn.
Last edited by Jasper on Sat 19 May 2012, 15:22, edited 3 times in total.

DutchPuppy

Slacko 5.3.3. slow wifi speed with Linksys WPM54G

#455 Post by DutchPuppy »

Hi all,

I got my laptop working well with slacko 5.3.3 :) , and now iam busy with my desktop containing a Linksys WPM54G pci card.

It loads the RT2500pci driver, connects ok, but the highest speed i get is 1 Mb download :( .

Booting with Slacko 5.3.1 and connecting to the network shows the same loaded driver RT2500pci but i get a 13 Mb download speed.

So it's not a weak signal or so. Signal is strong, but it simply doesn't get the right speed...

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks, Kees

CLAM01

#456 Post by CLAM01 »

Is there a way to put a cpu temperature monitoring applet in the tray with the stock slacko 5333 jwm?

Or, barring that, to put the temp sensor reading back in the menu> system>hardinfo window? It seems odd that in jwm the sensor data is completely gone. Switching to Icewm brings it back both places.

The need is for some kit having defective connection to acpi, so it's only able to step adjust running cpu cooling fans. Can't start them from stopped. If you can't monitor temp and manually start when the fans are stopped you have no fans until the cpu's thermal overload protection kicks them on full. That makes the fans howl, and that makes everyone around start making jokes about your torturing your puppy...

rodin.s

Homebank

#457 Post by rodin.s »

Some icons are not displayed in Homebank. I took Homebank binary from Racy and put it in /root/my-applications/bin/ to fix it.

rcrsn51

#458 Post by rcrsn51 »

CLAM01 wrote:Is there a way to put a cpu temperature monitoring applet in the tray with the stock slacko 5333 jwm?
Check out CPUtemp.

Volhout

bittorrent and seamonkey

#459 Post by Volhout »

I have 5.3.3 installed on a USB stick, and run it in a eeePC.

To download a torrent I do following (which works in Ubuntu).
- browse to a site like Piratebay and search for the material.
- copy the URL of the tracker file to Transmission

IF I do this with Seamonkey, I get a popup that the filetype is not supported. I can't save it either.
Maybe this is not the envisioned way of working in Slacko. ?? Or is everybody replacing Seamonkey with another browser ?

Did anybody try this before ?

Regards,

Volhout

Kerry Blue

#460 Post by Kerry Blue »

I just installed Slacko on a USB stick (for 1101HA EEEPC) and I'm glad to say that the menu keys work. The only thing till now that's a problem, is that the screen stays black after I close the lid of the EEEPC and it rewakes : no image, just black...