Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Dromeno

m4v?

#3161 Post by Dromeno »

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the vlc versions which are provided with saluki / weary? vlc is not playing avi files because it can't play m4v

ttuuxxx version says "there is no easy way for you to fix this"

Geoffrey

#3162 Post by Geoffrey »

Antenna 1.5.0 internet radio, this works ok, no gnome-keyring needed read about it here http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/26246-antenna

One thing is the flags don't show to select country by, I don't know why, everything else appears to work as it should.

Download here antenna-1.5.0.pet 3.4 MB (3,413,930 Bytes)
Attachments
antenna.jpg
(49.27 KiB) Downloaded 1334 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#3163 Post by Geoffrey »

Another AdobeAIR App, Readefine 2.49 Google Reader RSS feeds http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Readefine.html
Attachments
Readefine.jpg
(49.63 KiB) Downloaded 1337 times

gcmartin

#3164 Post by gcmartin »

jemimah wrote:... Mostly what I'm learning now is how to get it out of the box, into the rack, and how to cable it up and get it on the network. Most home users won't have anything like these SANs because they cost thousands (or maybe millions) of dollars.
I agree.

But, basically, excepting for the H/W channeling, a SAN is a "closed" network with only it cabled path (ethernet) to a HOST complex (singly/clustered).

Extending this knowledge just a little is where someone can affect a "kinda similar" configuration on the cheap where the protocols might be adapted for a closed loop of a storage LAN.

That's where I think a benefit is derived. The understanding of its interoperation in a non-virtual environment.

"Virtual" expands Storage Area Network configurations (not size, but methods of applying).

That's where I meant a benefit as your knowledge and use enhances .

Here to help

mikeslr

Choosing a Computer -- Avoid Toshibas

#3165 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & All,

Congrats and my sympathy (':roll:') on your new work opportunity.

Regarding choice of new computer. My first choice was IBM, now Lenovo. Solid and reliable, even after the change of owners. My Thinkpad T42, now what? 8 years old? still out-performs my wife's shiney new Toshiba Satellite with 6 Gb RAM, Quod-Core 64-bit i3 Windows7. And my cat has knocked the T42 off the coffee table a couple of times. I bought it to replace a Thinkpad that had given me 8 years of service before its "internal" battery gave up the ghost.
After that, Asus, based on experience and research. After that Acer, based mostly on research. After that, anything else except Toshiba, which I'd place last.
Not because it isn't a good machine. (Although after 6 months I had to reinstall Windows7 which had gone haywire). But because it doesn't play well with Linux.
Via USB installs, I've tried almost every recent Puppy on my wife's Toshiba. None recognized its sound card. Via DVDs, I've also tried Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, Pinguy, Fedora, Salix, and a couple of the other "big boys." One, I don't remember which, wouldn't boot at all. One didn't recognize its keyboard. Some booted but didn't recognize its sound card, or its internal wifi adapter, or both. Zorin was the one exception which actually provided a usable system. Googling revealed, especially regarding sound-cards, that Toshiba --apparently across most of its line-- used hardware well-supported by Windows but unsupported in Linux.

There may be exceptions to "Toshiba doesn't play well with Linux" which extensive research, or luck, may reveal. And who knows what models Toshiba may bring out tomorrow. But "time is money" and as of today, I am unaware of any advantage Toshibas in general provide which can not also be found in its rivals which "do play well with Linux."

mikesLr

Tman

#3166 Post by Tman »

Congrats on the new job duties, Jemimah.
This website might help you better decide what hardware to choose for your new computer:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Geoffrey

Goot translate using Yahoo Babel fish

#3167 Post by Geoffrey »

Edit: it seems microsoft has taken control of yahoo bablefish translate,
it's gone the way of google translate, so Goot it now totally useless.

Sometime ago I posted Goot a Java translator which was using Google, now that it can't be used, Goot is still able to do translating using Yahoo Babel fish, I've been unable to find anything else in the way of a desktop translation application, I have removed the Google plugin and added the start preferences for Yahoo Babel fish plugin, this could be useful..
goot is a cross platform translation tool that aims to harness this power conveniently on your desktop. It allows you to use plug-ins to integrate it with a huge number of online translators, the principle one being Google Translate (which is included by default). If you want a plug-in for a translation site that's not available, as long as you know a bit of Java you can make your own.

The big disadvantage of goot though is that it's only suitable for single words and sentences. It can't translate huge chunks of text or entire web pages. It does, however, auto-detect the language the source was written in, making it useful if you're constantly interchanging texts. Translations are generally very good and delivered quickly although it obviously depends on the plug-in you are using.

goot is a handy way to bring powerful translation tools to your desktop, although it's a shame it doesn't translate more than a few words at once.
Attachments
goot.jpg
(22.32 KiB) Downloaded 1306 times
goot2.jpg
Goot tray icon
(8.34 KiB) Downloaded 1296 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#3168 Post by Geoffrey »

AdobeAIR Photolive-0.5, photo viewer slide show http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nVZeNlAaHc
Attachments
photolive.jpg
(27.83 KiB) Downloaded 1187 times

jemimah

#3169 Post by jemimah »

I did end up buying a PSP Vita so needless to say I didn't accomplish anything else last weekend. Hopefully I can get a bunch done next weekend. I have a big trip to LA and Hawaii after that.
[url]http://saluki-linux.com[/url]

futwerk

#3170 Post by futwerk »

backgrounds.
Attachments
pupd28,43ez.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times
pupd28,43ev.jpg
(11.03 KiB) Downloaded 1132 times
pupd28,43ed.jpg
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times

greengeek

#3171 Post by greengeek »

futwerk wrote:backgrounds.
I like the third one. Although I would like it even more if the background was a different colour. (Brown is a little too much like Ubuntu for me...) Any chance of giving it a grey gradient background (darker grey at the left hand side and lighter at the right) and putting the "SALUKI" directly under the dogs head?

Geoffrey

#3172 Post by Geoffrey »

AdobeAIR CL Desktop, Craigslist browser, http://www.cldesktop.com/
Attachments
cldesktop.jpg
(23.77 KiB) Downloaded 1005 times

Geoffrey

#3173 Post by Geoffrey »

AdobeAIR GuitarScales V2
This application lets you pick a scale and draws it on a virtual fretboard. You can change the number of strings & frets, the tuning, the visible intervals, pick scale chords and lots more.
Attachments
guitarscales.jpg
(39.73 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times

elroy

AdobeAir guitar

#3174 Post by elroy »

That's pretty sweet.

How much resources does AdobeAir use? Is it pretty light? I've never used it before, but some of these apps(?) you're putting up are kind of tempting :)

Geoffrey

#3175 Post by Geoffrey »

AdobeAIR GLORIEN Calculator.
Attachments
glorien-calculator.jpg
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 929 times

Geoffrey

#3176 Post by Geoffrey »

AdobeAIR Scientific Calculator.
Attachments
Scical.jpg
(44.17 KiB) Downloaded 984 times

Dromeno

Bug in icewm or xfce4?

#3177 Post by Dromeno »

The Saluki 22 package manager offers JWM and IceWM as alternative window managers for xfce4. But if you install IceWM there is no way to switch back to xfce4 (xwin startxfce4 doesn't work properly; xfce4 is started but later the system goes starts IceWM).

With JWM this does not occur but there the wallpaper is wiped out. The wallpaper chooser in xfce4 does not work too good either, it only accepts the name "default".

DaveS

Re: Bug in icewm or xfce4?

#3178 Post by DaveS »

Dromeno wrote:wallpaper chooser in xfce4 does not work too good either, it only accepts the name "default".
There is a symlink missing. Symlink /usr/share/backgrounds to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops
Note it has to be called backdrops, NOT backgrounds.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Geoffrey

Re: AdobeAir guitar

#3179 Post by Geoffrey »

elroy wrote:That's pretty sweet.

How much resources does AdobeAir use? Is it pretty light? I've never used it before, but some of these apps(?) you're putting up are kind of tempting :)
elroy,

AdobeAir 63Meg installed, all the apps are smallish, yeah there are a few good one's amongst them, I'm still on the prowl to find more,
though they do seem to be a little elusive, I'm trying to ignore all the twitter clients, one is enough.

Seems to run ok on my machine with usb install, I find Firefox is hungrier, picture shows Desktube TV Lite, I just received a update for that,
I'll see how it runs and might upload that, I have had a problem with it with the sound cutting out, I had to restart x to restore the sound so I've put off uploading it.
Attachments
adobeair.jpg
(35.83 KiB) Downloaded 839 times

richardyusan

#3180 Post by richardyusan »

anybody got nvidia driver for saluki 22?
i not see any compiled nvidia driver for saluki 22