make your puppy into a samba server for windows clients

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
cobelloy

make your puppy into a samba server for windows clients

#1 Post by cobelloy »

hi, Ive been nutting this one out this afternoon and it is quite simple - sort of

first you install samba and reconfigure the samba.conf, then run the firewall wizard to allow the client access to your computer

on puppy 2.02:

BACKUP YOUR PUPSAVE FIRST

here is how I did it - substituting 'fred' for the client user

1. install the complete samba dotpup from here
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6583

2. edit /etc/samba/samba.conf to activate "public" if you want a directory available to all users, also remeber the workgroup is set to "MYGROUP" - you can change that too if you already have a windows workgroup set up

3. create a dir for the home dir of the client user, eg /root/fred

4. create a new user that cant boot - username and password need to be the same as the login they use in windows (or so I believe - that might be wrong)
addusr -h fred /root/fred (then it will prompt you for a password)

5. give the new user a samba password
smbpasswd fred (then it will prompt you again - just use the same passwrd)

6. restart samba:
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

7. if you already have the firewall running, or you would like to use it - run the wizard now

heres where it gets a little complicated:
four ports need to be open:
udp 137
udp 138
tcp 139
tcp 445

its a good idea to specify ip's that are allowed to access them too - eg. 192.168.0.0/5 or whatever is appropriate to your network

the firewall wizard is pretty straight forward - chose the advanced setup and it asks you which protocols(and their port no's) to allow, the last option is specify ports - so choose that, then once you have entered the four ports, then it will ask you for IP addresses.

8. then the windows client/user should be able to just double click the puppypc icon in "my network places" they will be prompted for username and password (same as you entered in step 4/5

so then the windows computer should be able to access /fred/ and anything made public and any shared printers

in addition - while you are running the firewall wizard it will ask you if you want to share an internet connection with other computers too - but I didnt need that so I cant help there

if it breaks your system - im sorry - it worked for me