Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#3141 Post by jemimah »

Pardon my absence for the last few days.

My day job has suddenly become a lot more busy and interesting. They are retraining me to do NetApp SAN installations and it's fairly hectic. It'll be a different city every week, sometimes every day. But it does move my career in a good direction - I may end up with a title something like Datacenter Design Consultant if I stick it out for a while. That would possibly set me up for a CTO position someday - but now I'm getting way ahead of myself. ;)

Obviously this will leave me less time and energy for Saluki, but really all the hard work is done already. I'm thinking saluki-023 will have xfce 4.10 but I'll hold off on the volume manager because it's not quite ready yet. I'm going to try to get 23 done over the weekend.

But I'm thinking I need to buy a new computer to continue development since I somehow whacked the partition table on my work laptop while working on 022, and since my work hard drive is encrypted, the partition table and all the data on the drive was irrecoverable. It had to be sent in to be re-imaged. Anyway the moral of the story is that I can't have that happening again, but my personal eeepc is annoyingly slow for compiling and woof builds. I'm thinking I'll buy a cheap tower with a fast processor. Suggestions? Maybe an AMD with an ATI card - since no one has been able to package the ATI proprietary driver.

Has anyone played with a PSP Vita yet? I'll be spending a lot of time traveling and it's certainly less annoying with something to do. I've got long flights to San Diego and Hawaii in the next few weeks (sadly the workdays can be long and they don't necessarily let me out of the datacenter much). Maybe I'll head over to gamestop today and trade in my PSP2. All the other consultants are buying iPads but I'm not sure that appeals to me.
[url]http://saluki-linux.com[/url]

DaveS

#3142 Post by DaveS »

Great to hear things are going well for you. Congrats....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

oliverjames

#3143 Post by oliverjames »

Hi Jemimah, good to know that work evolves positively. You'll make an excellent CTO.

Given that the focus today is on mobile everything, I'd strongly encourage you to buy a laptop instead of a tower. Something with an Intel i5 maybe?

How about an Eeepad Transformer prime, great spec and on my wish list.

That way you will get immediate feedback regarding the impact of changes on the battery lifetime and all other sensitive laptop related issues.

Best regards

Oliverjames

jemimah

#3144 Post by jemimah »

My work laptop is an i5 and pretty awesome, but I'd like to be able to leave it booted to windows while I'm at home since it takes so long to boot all the antivirus, corporate management, and encryption stuff. Also, if I lose my job I'd have to send it back.

I'm looking to spend maybe $500 which won't buy much laptop.

jemimah

#3145 Post by jemimah »

As far as entertainment devices go - I need something that can't run any type of Unix/Linux and is not tempting to try and hack. One time-consuming obsession is enough!

oliverjames

#3146 Post by oliverjames »

All very reasonable points.

I just bought a second hand Aspire i5 in perfect condition from an auction site for the equivalent of $420. Bit of a risky road to take tho.

sszindian

Traveling!

#3147 Post by sszindian »

jemimah wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as entertainment devices go - I need something that can't run any type of Unix/Linux and is not tempting to try and hack. One time-consuming obsession is enough!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm... for what you are doing job-wise and such, you might look into a Google-Chromebook or a cheap laptop with a fairly fast processor and take a look at Joli OS and get used to the 'Cloud' as that's where your work will be taking you in the future... probably all Puppy builds also (in time). I know it's hard to adjust and such but I'm sure you noticed all the 'Tablets' carried by business people in your travels... It's the Future!!!!'

'Good Luck to you'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

jemimah

#3148 Post by jemimah »

I definitely do not want to carry two laptops. I'm good in the surfing the internet dept. My work laptop is smallish and fast - good for surfing.

The portable entertainment device would be for gaming, and watching movies. The "cloud" is mostly not available on planes and honestly I get bored of it. Tablet gaming seems lame. The laptop form factor is unpleasant unless you have a desk or table.

The only downside to the Vita seems to be the battery life, proprietary media, and the inability to read pdfs. I think the battery issue can be worked around.

oliverjames

#3149 Post by oliverjames »

Why not stick with your current work Laptop and just plug in a fast external drive for all non-work related coding and stuff? That might be an alternative.

Oliverjames.

Minnesota

lapto

#3150 Post by Minnesota »

Always a big decision on the new hardware...I bought a new ASUS laptop i7...yes a few dollars more, but figured it would last many years. And I wanted a bigger screen for these old eyes. Next improvement was changing to a hybrid disk. SSD would have been a bit faster, and prices are now coming down. I/O - Input -Output is always the slowest part of any computer. Processors just sits most of the time, waiting for something to do. Faster disk speeds things up a lot. I also went to 12gb of memory.. cheap today.

Previously eighteen seconds for load of Streets and Trips, now six or less.

I have several desktops running around 3 Ghz or 3.5, older duel core, but run extremely well and very fast, especially with new hard drives that are buffered. You can pick up one or build one cheaply.

My suggestion... look for a fast processor, one or two cores, with smallest drive you can find. Then replace the drive with an SSD as soon as you can afford it. Will make your new system, either laptop or desktop sing! If you go SSD route remember not to defrag often. SSD only has so many read/write cycles. That will probably improve in the next few years as well as disk size.

I have three Hybrid drives and like them a lot. Regular drive with SSD front end for drive index, the drive gets faster as you use it more, "Learns".

Might check parts or cheap box at Fry's or order from Micro Center or New Egg.

Hope this helps. Easy to build a machine today.

jemimah

#3151 Post by jemimah »

oliverjames wrote:Why not stick with your current work Laptop and just plug in a fast external drive for all non-work related coding and stuff? That might be an alternative.

Oliverjames.
That's what I have been doing but the internal drive got nuked anyway. It wasn't mounted when it got nuked. So I either need to physically remove it, or perhaps disable it in the BIOS, but both of those are a major hassle since I need to reboot to Windows several times per day. The corporate vpn only works in Windows.

oliverjames

#3152 Post by oliverjames »

And no possibility for running a virtual machine within Windows, the target image being on the external drive?

greengeek

#3153 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:My day job has suddenly become a lot more busy and interesting. They are retraining me to do NetApp SAN installations and it's fairly hectic.
Hearty congratulations. Sounds like a buzz.
I'm going to try to get 23 done over the weekend.
Before you disappear and start enjoying your life ( :-) ), would you have time to deprecate the universal installer "default mbr" choice for usb installs? I think it was useful in the days of grub 1, but changes in the spec of mbr and newer bootloader methods have made it too risky I feel. I reckon that many newcomers buying a usb stick off the rack and using the universal installer will have problems with Saluki unless they use mbr.bin to generate a working mbr within the universal installer process. The same goes for other recent Puppies that also use recent syslinuxes. It's just too risky to accept a default mbr.

Good luck in your new venture!

Keef

Progress bar

#3154 Post by Keef »

DaveS said:
Is it possible to specify to show a progress bar while the move is taking place?
Try here.
....pv pet from Seasider. Don't know if it is exactly what you want, but may work.

jemimah

#3155 Post by jemimah »

greengeek wrote:
jemimah wrote:My day job has suddenly become a lot more busy and interesting. They are retraining me to do NetApp SAN installations and it's fairly hectic.
Hearty congratulations. Sounds like a buzz.
I'm going to try to get 23 done over the weekend.
Before you disappear and start enjoying your life ( :-) ), would you have time to deprecate the universal installer "default mbr" choice for usb installs? I think it was useful in the days of grub 1, but changes in the spec of mbr and newer bootloader methods have made it too risky I feel. I reckon that many newcomers buying a usb stick off the rack and using the universal installer will have problems with Saluki unless they use mbr.bin to generate a working mbr within the universal installer process. The same goes for other recent Puppies that also use recent syslinuxes. It's just too risky to accept a default mbr.

Good luck in your new venture!
Yeah, I actually meant to do that a while ago.

gcmartin

#3156 Post by gcmartin »

jemimah wrote: ... That's what I have been doing but the internal drive got nuked anyway. It wasn't mounted when it got nuked. So I either need to physically remove it, or perhaps disable it in the BIOS, but both of those are a major hassle since I need to reboot to Windows several times per day. The corporate vpn only works in Windows.
Jemimah,
Is your corporate VPN software Cisco's VPN or are you using Microsoft's VPN software to reach the corporate Terminal server?

And, on the SAN training, this is a good thing as we, here in Puppyland, would benefit from your understanding and setup of a SAN in, say, a Puppy cluster.

Reason I ask is there may be some options you can employ to ease your system use iissues.

Also Bon Voyage as you set sail on the SAN.
Here to help

jemimah

#3157 Post by jemimah »

The vpn client is Juniper and the software (java) works fine - but the server checks which antivirus you have and what OS you are running and rejects you if it doesn't like the answer.

Mostly what I'm learning now is how to get it out of the box, into the rack, and how to cable it up and get it on the network. Most home users won't have anything like these SANs because they cost thousands (or maybe millions) of dollars.

Geoffrey

#3158 Post by Geoffrey »

Welcome home Jemimah, sounds like you lead a interesting life, we've been keeping busy while you were absent. :D

Moving along, here is a new twist to AdobeAIR, adding Gnome-keyring daemon to deal with security credentials,
such as user names and passwords.

I've located a Gnome-keyring pet that works, It isn't setup to run when installed,
so this is more or less a test to see if it works ok in Saluki, maybe if it works out the Gnome-keyring could be included.

I'll post a copy of the gnome-keyring-0.8.1-i486.pet here, to use it just install the pet and in the terminal run

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon /root/Startup
Here is a application that needs the Gnome-keyring, Caldera, this a a batch image resizer, renamer and format to jpg, png, gif, I like this app, works with drag'n'drop.

These app's were meant to work only with Gnome or KDE Desktops, but can be run in XFCE with a small change to the application start script.

The start script looks like this

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID="xfce"

adl /path/to/air/app//META-INF/AIR/application.xml
To run Caldera install the pet's and link the Gnome-keyring in the Startup directory, then Restart X Windows, go to Menu> Graphic> Caldera, Gnome-keyring should prompt for a password, set the password don't forget it, then the app will run.

This is only for testing so make a new save if need be, though it should be ok, it hasn't broken anything in my install and appears to be working fine.

I'm no expert on these matters, so if you feel I'm doing something wrong, give me ahoy.
Attachments
caldera.jpg
(47.34 KiB) Downloaded 1501 times
gnome-keyring-0.8.1-i486.pet
(163.98 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

Geoffrey

#3159 Post by Geoffrey »

Here's one that will be useful, iSurveill turn your webcam into a surveillance cam with motion detection
Read about here http://www.chrillo.info/apps/isurveill/ This requires gnome-keyring.
Attachments
isurveill.jpg
My webcam doesn't seem to fill the entire application screen, but does work
(24.22 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
isurveill-0100.pet
(93.7 KiB) Downloaded 459 times

Dromeno

Good luck, thanx (and one more request)

#3160 Post by Dromeno »

Jemimah I am happy about your more interesting job. And I am absolutely astonished about your puppee and saluki. I hope you will still come back every now and then.

sheesh why is there an ocean between us...I have never met a woman which runs on linux before... I want to meet you and a couple of other puppophiles in a bar!

allow me to finsh with a request for gnucash (accounting). It is the last missing piece to make saluki into a tool for setting up your own business.