Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 23 of 25 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
linux28

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2012, 02:17    Post_subject:  

Use xim
But does not take
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2012, 22:06    Post_subject: Re: Expanded Broadcom wifi support - continued  

peebee, zekebaby, pemasu, et al,
After a week essentially away from puppy and then some false starts and dead ends, I now have a more solid Broadcom wifi experimental package. In addition to attempting to resolve the issues I described last time,
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=624890#624890,
I think I fixed the dual loading of wl and b43 while retaining support for the b44 ethernet driver (which uses the same ssb-bus arrangement that b43 does).

No matter the order these modules are originally loaded, they get reloaded in the order, wl, bcma, ssb, b43/b44/brcmsmac. (lsmod lists them in reverse order.) I simulated the loading of wl, bcma and ssb on my PC with wifi that uses the b43 driver only. So, I need those of you with other Broadcom wifi setups to try out the package. It should work as well as the version in lupuplus but also supporting the the newer brcmsmac-driver devices. Even with the drivers being loaded in the right sequence, that might not translate into the correct selection of drivers, although I expect that they should "just work". Your tests will verify that.

However, if there are multiple Broadcom wifi devices installed but using different drivers, if some use the wl driver and others b43, the latter might not be detected. Blacklisting wl would avoid that conflict. There should be no problem with only one such device installed.

Note that during installation of the package, a popup appears that is intended for peebee's proprietary-driver packages, which are not included in this experimental package. The drivers already in precise pup are sufficient, for now.
Richard
precise_broadcom_experiment-3.pet
Description  Broadcom wifi driver management.
pet

Download 
Filename  precise_broadcom_experiment-3.pet 
Filesize  227.19 KB 
Downloaded  391 Time(s) 
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2012, 04:02    Post_subject: Re: Expanded Broadcom wifi support - continued  

rerwin wrote:
peebee, zekebaby, pemasu, et al,
Richard

Hi Richard

Welcome back - hope it was a break for pleasure....

Pristine frugal install of Precise 5.3.3.3 - then added your experiment 3 pet and rebooted creating a savefile.

lsmod showed that both b43 and wl were loaded after the reboot but dmesg and netwiz showed that wl was actually being used - created a wifi connection successfully using Frisbee.

Rebooted - this time only wl was present and wifi was persistent over reboot.

Blacklisted wl and rebooted - b43 was then being used as expected - again Frisbee maintained the wifi connection without any intervention.

I'll PM you 2 pmodemdiag files after the 1st and 2nd boot.

Cheers
peebee

rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2012, 09:59    Post_subject:  

peebee,
Thanks for running the experiment. Your diag files reveal 2 interesting things. The first shows that my logic for determining whether b43 got loaded via ssb or directly from a modalias (therefore, whether to unload it) is incorrect. Not only is the test backward, it still would not detect the difference. I need another way to decide, which I think I know.

The second file shows that ssb is being blacklisted, which accounts for neither ssb nor b43 being loaded. My current logic does not create the blacklist-ssb.conf file, so it must be created elsewhere -- in one of the network tools or a previous broadcom-wifi implementation? A pfile search for it finds no clues in my precise-pup PC. Does anyone know how blacklist-ssb.conf is created?

EDIT: I see now that blacklist-ssb.conf is also in the first diag file. My logic does not consider blacklisting when it reloads ssb, which would explain why it is ignored in the first file, but not why it is respected in the second. (Maybe the blacklist conf file gets added after my logic runs the first time.) My struggle has been to understand all of the factors surrounding respect for blacklisting and module "install" commands. That is the tricky part of this experiment.
Richard
jim3630

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2012, 13:12    Post_subject:  

Richard, et al.,

don't know if this is useful to your 3rd experiment. when the new broadcom drivers first came out pemasu included brcmsmac with it's firmware and wl and firmware in one of his dpups. brcmsmac showed on wan0 and wl on eth0. i could connect using either by blacklisting the other. blacklisting neither brcmsmac was auto-detected on wan0 and worked without issue. i do not have b43 usage with this BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01).
will do 3rd if will help.
don570

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2012, 19:14    Post_subject:  

I tested audacity 2.0 with Precise

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78257

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2012, 23:07    Post_subject:  

jim3630 wrote:
i could connect using either by blacklisting the other. blacklisting neither brcmsmac was auto-detected on wan0 and worked without issue. i do not have b43 usage with this BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01).
will do 3rd if will help.
Thank you for your offer to help. Yes, your testing of your BCM4313 would be most helpful. Since it does not use b43, my flawed b43 logic should not affect you. Please run without- and with wl blacklisted and get a pmodemdiag file for each case. You should not have to blacklist brcmsmac nor bcma to use wl.
Richard
linux28

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2012, 05:52    Post_subject:  

xim bug: Shocked Shocked
Still can not solve ah, help
2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   15.33 KB
 Viewed   1442 Time(s)

2.jpg

jim3630

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2012, 10:18    Post_subject:  

here is experiment 3 results

pfix=ram installed experiment 3 pet and rebooted creating a savefile.

wifi connected with wl on wan0 via frisbee without issue.

Blacklisted wl and rebooted this time wifi auto-connected with brcmsmac on wan0 via fribee without issue.

Richard pm'd you 2 pmodemdiag files hope this helps.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 11:51    Post_subject:  

jim3630,
Thanks for the diag files. They confirm that the package works as intended. The effective piece is the preference entry for wl over bcma.

To complete the verification, when you get the time, could you run with the package but use the SNS and Network wizard, in both cases rebooting a couple of times to ensure that network settings are retained as expected? No diag files are needed unless you find a problem. Thanks.
Richard
jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 13:05    Post_subject:  

Richard, et al.,

into the fire one more time pfix=ram installed experiment 3 rebooted creating a save file. wl recognized on eth0 tried sns unable to make connection. tried connection wizard and failed, pmodemdiag run. rebooted sns and connection wizard fails again even though wl recognized pmodemdiag run again, blacklisted wl for fun and rebooted, brcmsmac recognized by sns but failed, connection wizard made the connection finally.

i have reported sns and connection wizard failures many times including 528 developement and iirc it was you who got sns and connection wizard working in 528.

whoever are the maintainers of sns and connection wizard clearly have no interest in doings so. McDougle i think is dead and well...sns and connection wizard are pos.

both sns and connection wizard could be deleted from puppy as frisbee works most of the time for most of the people and on the rare occasion heard it did not work was due to interference by sns and connection wizard. that is why i used frisbee exclusively. frisbee will detect wifi point and make the connection without rebooting.

at one time frisbee required a save file first rebooting before would reliable make the connection. again think that was sns and connection wizard interference.

will keep rebooting today looking for persistence and report if goes amiss. thanks jim
jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 14:26    Post_subject:  

Richard,

sent more pmodemdiag since connection wizard not persistent after one reboot. reran sns and it failed to connect even recognized brcmsmac. connection wizard like wise failed even after manually inputting my ip info.

ran frisbee which recognized wan0 and my connection particulars but did not make a connection. rebooted connection made by frisbee which did persist after a reboot.
zekebaby

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 20:23    Post_subject: Re: Expanded Broadcom wifi support - continued  

rerwin wrote:
After a week essentially away from puppy and then some false starts and dead ends, I now have a more solid Broadcom wifi experimental package. In addition to attempting to resolve the issues I described last time,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this one did not work on the Dell D430. Started with a clean boot, installed #3, and on 4 subsequent reboots, only the wl module is loaded (no b43 like the last time) and Frisbee doesn't see wlan0. I will PM you the pmodemdiag.
sszindian

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2012, 12:27    Post_subject: Network Problem!  

Using 'Internet Connection Wizard' (NOT Frisbee)

rebooted with wireless plugged in and configured in previous session which was a pfix=ram install... wlan0 did NOT connect.

Going into Internet Connection Wizard again, selecting 'Configure Wireless Network' it shows in 'Select A Profile To Load' my previous saved file- belkin.81e After loading and selecting 'Use This Profile' wlan0 then makes a wireless connection and seems to run just fine... but... it won't connect on a fresh reboot.

The reaction with OR without your 'Experimental.pet' installed is exactly the same.

No eth0 configuration was tried!

Using: linksys AE1000
Router: Belkin 300
Config: rt2800usb

Hope this helps?

It would be nice to get the Network Connection working properly as Precise is an unusually nice operating program without any issues (at least that I could find) in any other areas, they all just function great! Sure hope you post a 'fix' here if you find one.

>>>---Indian--->

rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2012, 18:24    Post_subject:  

sszindian,
Thanks for posting your experience. Although my effort focuses on the Broadcom wifi situation, your report of issues with another device (rt2800usb) suggests that the problems jim3630 is having may not be entirely of my making.

Even though I got into the Broadcom game to apply what (I think) I know about firmware "tarballs", initialization scripts, configuration files and module loading to manage the various Broadcom drivers, I am not very knowledgeable about the workings of wifi connections. I don't have a wireless test network, only an old Broadcom wifi device (14e4:4320). I do not want to raise expectations unreasonably about my ability to solve all wifi problems. I need the help of anyone with better knowledge of the area.

I think we need Barry or Dougal or Micko or tempestuous to weigh in on the reconnection issue.
Richard
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 23 of 25 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum