How to customize ROX with two panels?

Booting, installing, newbie
capicoso

#1 Post by capicoso »

Hello. The first distro i used was ubuntu, and what i really liked about the desktop was the two panels. I was wondering if it can be done with ROX. I want to have a bottom panel with just the desktop icon and the minimized windows. Nothing more. And in the top panel i want to have the menu, 2-3 shortcuts, and the tray icons(clock, space left, battery, sound icon, etc). Is it possible? I tried, and added a panel on top. But couldn't add neither the desktop selector nor the tray icons. Because i think it doesn't behaviour like the tray panel, just like a panel with shortcuts. Any help appreciated

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It might be easier to replace ROX with a two-panel file handler. Look for one in the Filesystem section of the Package Manager for your version of Puppy.

L18L

Re: How to customize ROX with two panels?

#3 Post by L18L »

capicoso wrote:... And in the top panel i want to have the menu, 2-3 shortcuts, and the tray icons(clock, space left, battery, sound icon, etc). Is it possible? ..
That is JoesWindowManager
Menu>Desktop>JWM Configuration>Tray Management
Tray Placement Option>TOP
You can move the desktop icons where you want to have them or remove them.
Have fun :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Thanks L18L. As usual, I completely misunderstood the question. :lol:

L18L

#5 Post by L18L »

Flash wrote:Thanks L18L. As usual, I completely misunderstood the question. :lol:
Don't worry, Flash. Stay happy, you have taught me to avoid "terse or cryptic" posts :)

The question is not simple. I am thinking now that a 100% fulfill is not possible (this is not GNOME) but I have been playing a bit more with options of rox-Filer.

Hopefully capicoso will play further and maybe present us a solution in the HOWTO section ?

Note, the attached image is no fake, I am running it now in racy53 pfix=ram, the tray is at TOP of screen and auto hidden.
Attachments
rox_iconified.png
(23.69 KiB) Downloaded 635 times

#6 Post by 106498 »

As you say rox is not great as an actual panel. It is a good desktop/file manager though.

What to do next depends on what version of puppy you have running and what you priorities are

If your puppy has jwm as the window manager, it should be pretty easy to set up like you want it. There is a wizard built in for doing some customizations, including moving the panel to the top I believe. Then you add a second panel in the configuration file. (Someone on this forum will know better how to do this) This will be the fastest running alternative, if that's important to you.

Or you could install xfce destop environment, which is easier to configure, and looks similar to gnome. But is slower on older computers. You could try saluki, a version of puppy which already has this installed, to see if you like this.

Thats probably the easiest two options.
-Thomas
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

`f00

#7 Post by `f00 »

re capicoso

Multiple trays are relatively easy (and much more elegant than rox panels, imo) in jwm, it just takes a bit of familiarity to get'em working right with what you have to what you wish.

What you have OEM - should be available by looking at /initrd/pup_ro2/root/.jwmrc-tray, this gives the original setup and a good example of the basics of syntax and terminology. Left to right menu, traybuttons, pager, tasklist, dock, swallows and clock all on one horizontal unhidden tray placed by jwmconfig

Separate out what and how you like with Tray tags <Tray attribute(s) ></Tray> inside the JWM tags..
something like..

Code: Select all

<JWM>
 <Tray autohide="true" valign="bottom" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >
  <TrayButton popup="show desktop" icon="mini-desktop.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>
  <!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
  <TaskList maxwidth="120"/>
 </Tray>
 <Tray autohide="true" valign="top" halign="center" height="28" >
  <TrayButton label="menu" popup="arf" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="run command" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="console" icon="mini-sh.xpm">exec:rxvt</TrayButton>
  <!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height, ? -->
  <Pager/>
  <Dock/>
  <!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
  <Swallow name="blinky">blinkydelayed -bg "#555555"</Swallow>
  <Swallow name="asapm">asapmshell -u 4</Swallow>
  <Swallow name="xload" width="40">xload -nolabel -fg red -hl white -bg "#35215B"</Swallow>
  <Clock format="%T ">minixcal</Clock>
 </Tray>
</JWM>
..bearing in mind newer versions of jwm may have different attributes (I know for sure the pager has a new bunch for layout format) and your swallows are probably different (I used most of the values from an old p420) .. your sound mixer and other systray stuff should show in the Dock/ (opera, xpad, a few players and wine things). Some of my attributes may be useless in this example (not in a pup atm, so :oops: ) - in any case a quick jwm reload should refresh and show tray changes after you edit/save.

___additional-'120603___

Actually the jwmconfig,JWMtab->Tray Management->Tray Configuration Options->Tray Placement should go as bottom for the more-or-less default tray if no valign attribute is specified :roll:

width attribute works for Swallows if the tray is horizontal rather than vertical

freememapplet and freememappletshell have been deprecated in favor of freememapplet_tray (or freememapplet-tray which is sort of a retro look), both of them showing in the systray rather than as swallows

for side trays insert="down" or "up" (for window buttons in the TaskList), layout="vertical" usually makes more sense for side trays

x and y attributes can fine-tune position if the corresponding *align is left out. fiddle with border if you like.

pager is another story now - jwm >5xx can do arrays in rows, columns or both if the number of desks supports the logic. see jwmconfig,JWMtab->Tray Management->Tray Configuration Options->Virtual Desktops (>2 rows isn't on the dropdown, but it enters ok)
bonus sample ;)

Code: Select all

<JWM>
 <Tray  autohide="true" x="1" y="150" halign="right" border="0" width="180" layout="vertical">
  <!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
  <Pager/>
 </Tray>
</JWM>
hthsome
Last edited by `f00 on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

capicoso

#8 Post by capicoso »

Thanks for all the answers.

I tried setting the tray on top. That's almost what i want, but i want the windows to open on the bottom tray. I like it this way because i have all the bottom tray for the minimized windows(it looks cleaner).

I use Lucid Puppy 5.28 and JWM.

I tried the wizard but i couldn't do it.

I always used XFCE, but then decided to try and stay with JWM and i love how fast it is. Even although i have a core 2 duo, i don't feel it so fast with XFCE.

@ `f00
if i understood, for example, if i open .jwmrc-tray and copy the tray settings and paste them but changing its position to top, it'll read the two tray bars in the file? Anyways, going to try it.

@ flash
I didn't explain very well, i don't know why i said rox...
Thanks!

EDIT: I made it : ) BUT i think i don't like having two trays anymore hah. But nevermind, it's fun to want something and get it

thanks again