Tried to show my friend Slacko 53, results counterimpressive

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
trickyheo

Tried to show my friend Slacko 53, results counterimpressive

#1 Post by trickyheo »

I tried to show my friend puppy today. Unfortunately it did not recognize his monitor, and we had to try several times to configure Xorg. I think we eventually went and used Vesa. I think I would be more inclined to give puppy out if it didn't have this problem. Sorry to be so negative, and I'm not much of a developer either, so I have no idea on how to fix this. But my suggestion is to fix this, as it would make it easier to show to people. Oh the resolution was 1920 x 1200 I think. Thanks for reading!

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Hi trickyheo,

I think with Puppy there can be teething problems, but once its working it won't need to be upgraded every five minutes. Different Puppy's are better at different hardware support - this partly due to the linux kernel. Newer kernels support new hardware but the oldest hardware is no longer support. Also, different hardware manufacturers have different support for linux. Out of interest, which Puppy version were you using and roughly what spec what your friend's computer. Did Vesa work okay?

; -)

trickyheo

#3 Post by trickyheo »

I was using slacko 5.3.3. Which ran on my, much worse computer, and monitor fine. His computer was preety much brand new, and a very nice monitor. And yes, Vesa worked fine.

Minnesota

Monitor

#4 Post by Minnesota »

Try different flavors of PUPPY. TWO other reasons. Some are self detecting, and issue may be type and model of video card. Some flavors have better/different built in drivers. Most have correct driver once you get the base running any way you can. Is the card Radon or NVidia? And what model card.

This is true with older or newer hardware. Many Many flavors to try.

Stick with it... PUPPY is worth it and FUN to play with.

ICPUG

#5 Post by ICPUG »

I think the point Trickyheo is trying to make is that he cannot give Puppy out because if they encounter something like this they do not have the ability/patience to sort the problem out.

They land up with the impression that Puppy is useless.

I tend to agree with him. Puppy is not for giving to the technically incompetent user and leaving them alone with it unless you know it works with their hardware. This is true of a lot of Linux distros of course, not just Puppy.

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

I love Puppy but like ICPUG I agree
that trickyheo has a good point.

When one trust a distro and wants to
give it to somebody to share the joy
and the distro just act up one get disappointed.

Puppy works very good for me now but it is true
that Linux Mint 12 live and maybe other modern distros
does work out of the box without asking a thing of the user.

Okay one have to set things like time and foreign keyboard
but that is true of Puppy too.

But Puppy can do things that these distros totally fail to.
Like installing numerous different puppies frugally on same
internal NTFS HD in their own folder/directory and with own savefile
and all this manually in an easy way that even I manage to do in a few minutes.

I've tested maybe 75 linux distros and very few are that easy to use
as puppy are.

But some hardware it fails on. we are dependent on that those that it fail for
take the time and effort to join the forum and write down enough details
so that we find solutions for these instances :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

runtt21

#7 Post by runtt21 »

ICPUG wrote: Puppy is not for giving to the technically incompetent user and leaving them alone with it unless you know it works with their hardware.
Why not? We do it thousands of time every day every time someone downloads a copy of macpup or puppy.

Back when I first started building pups I would give copies to my friends at work who knew nothing about linux. All I told them was how to boot it. I felt that if they could boot it up , get online and surf and then shut it down without blowin up their computer it was ok to pass it out online. I tested the first five macpup's that I built like that.
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

For my 1st encounter with Puppy_Linux way back in 2002...

See post #1 of my Puppy Linux thread [now had 71,478 views] at the PC-Guide forums.

Keef

#9 Post by Keef »

I think 2002 was your first encounter with the PC-Guide forums, rather than Puppy.
Good read though.

Sylvander

#10 Post by Sylvander »

Oops, sorry about that, I read my PC-Guide "Join date" [2002] rather than the date of the post [2008]. :oops: