Diamond - 9 May 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
TLM

#61 Post by TLM »

New release of Diamond on May 9th, 2012. See first post on page 1 of this thread for more information and download link.

jackrabbit

New Diamond

#62 Post by jackrabbit »

Thanks TLM, another quality -beautiful job. Everything works perfect on ibm netvista and thinkpad out of the box! Glad to hear you are working on Slacko version also. Keep them coming, they are very much appreciated versions. Lucid 528 is amazing distro, but with your enhancements, BEAUTIFUL!! Thank-You for your time and effort, I am enjoying this.

TLM

Re: New Diamond

#63 Post by TLM »

jackrabbit wrote:Thanks TLM, another quality -beautiful job. Everything works perfect on ibm netvista and thinkpad out of the box! Glad to hear you are working on Slacko version also. Keep them coming, they are very much appreciated versions. Lucid 528 is amazing distro, but with your enhancements, BEAUTIFUL!! Thank-You for your time and effort, I am enjoying this.
Thank you. I am aiming for a new release at least every 6 months.

nooby

#64 Post by nooby »

TLM I will try to use your latest on my Acer D255 Netbook.
I have tested the rpt version you had a while back and that
worked good.

Have you take time to check if this latest version allow for
that one just do a upgrade reusing the old savefile replacing
the vmlinuz and the initrd and sfs files.

Or do I have to a pfix=ram frugal insall. I only do frugal.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

TLM

#65 Post by TLM »

nooby wrote:TLM I will try to use your latest on my Acer D255 Netbook.
I have tested the rpt version you had a while back and that
worked good.

Have you take time to check if this latest version allow for
that one just do a upgrade reusing the old savefile replacing
the vmlinuz and the initrd and sfs files.

Or do I have to a pfix=ram frugal insall. I only do frugal.
The main sfs file is the only thing new. All the changes are wrapped up in it. All other files on the iso are identical the earlier version.

nooby

#66 Post by nooby »

okay I give it a quick test then. I'm using it now
I only changed the sfs and kept my savefile so
using that one now. The graphic in Firefox is different.

Every char looks different. Don't remember if that where the case
with the old one.

I have to go to bed now. Ask if there is something you want me to test
on such a small "netbook" Acer D255 computer.

oh by the way. It force me to manually do connect to the internet.
That is maybe a security feature?
Another thing. The Cursor looks like a bit railway type if capital I
not the usual one with an arrow. but that is only on this space
when I write. outside of that it change to the arrow.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

TLM

#67 Post by TLM »

nooby wrote:okay I give it a quick test then. I'm using it now
I only changed the sfs and kept my savefile so
using that one now. The graphic in Firefox is different.

Every char looks different. Don't remember if that where the case
with the old one.

I have to go to bed now. Ask if there is something you want me to test
on such a small "netbook" Acer D255 computer.

oh by the way. It force me to manually do connect to the internet.
That is maybe a security feature?
Another thing. The Cursor looks like a bit railway type if capital I
not the usual one with an arrow. but that is only on this space
when I write. outside of that it change to the arrow.
Does it require manual connection to the internet each time, or just on the first bootup? The manual connection on first boot is the default behavior of Lucid528, i think. It launches right after the country wizard thing. After that, it should automatically connect on each boot.

TLM

#68 Post by TLM »

For those using Diamond, i highly recommend the updated version of Nathan wallpaper setter. I did not see it in time to roll it into the Diamond528_512 release, but it will be in the next release in a few months. If you would like the new version of Nathan wallpaper setter, you can obtain it from the forum link:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69658

The nice thing about this update is the previews of the wallpapers within Nathan itself.

TLM

#69 Post by TLM »

The "full" version of Diamond528_512 is now available, May 13th, 2012. This version adds LibreOffice 3.5.3 and Java Runtime Environment 1.7u4. See the first post of this thread for download information:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75858

Colonel Panic

#70 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi TLM. I've tried the latest release of Diamond but unfortunately Flash doesn't seem to be installed and didn't run when I reloaded Firefox, even after I installed Flash from the menu.

Is there an easy way of solving hthi?

By the way, I've had problems with Flash in several of the distros I've tried recently, not just Diamond. It seems to be getting more difficult to get it to run in Linux, and I'm thinking of switching to or trying Gnash instead.

Thanks in advance,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

TLM

#71 Post by TLM »

Colonel Panic wrote:Hi TLM. I've tried the latest release of Diamond but unfortunately Flash doesn't seem to be installed and didn't run when I reloaded Firefox, even after I installed Flash from the menu.

Is there an easy way of solving hthi?

By the way, I've had problems with Flash in several of the distros I've tried recently, not just Diamond. It seems to be getting more difficult to get it to run in Linux, and I'm thinking of switching to or trying Gnash instead.

Thanks in advance,

CP .
Hi,
Are you using Diamond_528_512 regular or full version? I am on the regular version live cd right now. Firefox under Tools-Add-ons Plugins shows flashplayer installed. Also verified it to work on Youtube and other flash sites. So flashplayer is installed in 528_512 regular and working here. Let me check the full version. It should be identical. I just added jre and LibreOffice and remastered.

Are you showing any flashplayer installed?

TLM

#72 Post by TLM »

Ok, I just booted up the Diamond528_512 full and flashplayer version 11,2,202,235 is installed and working on it as well. Have you tried various different flash sites?

Colonel Panic

#73 Post by Colonel Panic »

TLM wrote:Ok, I just booted up the Diamond528_512 full and flashplayer version 11,2,202,235 is installed and working on it as well. Have you tried various different flash sites?
I'm using Full (i.e. with Libre Office).

Nope, YouTube Flash still isn't working in Firefox and even when I reinstalled GetFlash from the menu it didn't work either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

- CP
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

TLM

#74 Post by TLM »

Colonel Panic wrote:
TLM wrote:Ok, I just booted up the Diamond528_512 full and flashplayer version 11,2,202,235 is installed and working on it as well. Have you tried various different flash sites?
I'm using Full (i.e. with Libre Office).

Nope, YouTube Flash still isn't working in Firefox and even when I reinstalled GetFlash from the menu it didn't work either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

- CP
Have you tried various versions of flashplayer? GetFlash v1.0 will offer several versions to download. Perhaps the version i packaged with Diamond is not liking your hardware. Could you verify that flashplayer shows up in your Plugins under Firefox--Tools--Add-ons? Are you working from an install, or from the live cd? I have 2 computers here and flashplayer works on both. I will test on some friends PCs and see if there are hardware related compatibility flashplayer issues.

Could you launch FF from terminal, and then go to YouTube and see if terminal returns any error messages? You might also manually delete the file libflashplayer.so from the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory and try reinstalling flashplayer again.

Colonel Panic

#75 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi TLM,

Success at last! GetFlash didn't work at all for me (and nothing was showing up in the Add Ons menu), but what did work was downloading Flash Lucid 10. 3 r181from the Puppy Package Manager, Firefoxt plays You Tube videos just fine now (and the Flash plugin now shows up in the Add Ons menu too).

All's well that ends well! Thanks for your help anyway,

Cheers,

CP .

TLM

#76 Post by TLM »

Colonel Panic wrote:Hi TLM,

Success at last! GetFlash didn't work at all for me (and nothing was showing up in the Add Ons menu), but what did work was downloading Flash Lucid 10. 3 r181from the Puppy Package Manager, Firefoxt plays You Tube videos just fine now (and the Flash plugin now shows up in the Add Ons menu too).

All's well that ends well! Thanks for your help anyway,

Cheers,

CP .
Good. :D Still curious about what caused this. I will test on as many machines as i can access to see if i can replicate your situation.

rokytnji

M&A Companion Netbook

#77 Post by rokytnji »

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# inxi -z -F
System:    Host: puppypc Kernel: 2.6.33.2 i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: Openbox 3.4.11 Distro: Diamond Linux
Linux 2.6.33.2 [i686 arch]
Machine:   System: manda (portable) product: Intel powered classmate PC version: Gen 1.5L
           Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Core CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1596.096 MHz 2: 1596.096 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.org: 1.7.6 driver: intel tty size: 79x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: HDA Intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.21
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth2 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 34.1GB (4.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HS030GB size: 30.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: U3_Cruzer_Micro size: 4.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 1010M used: 56M (6%) fs: rootfs 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 102 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 218.6/2018.4MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5 
Pup-Scan-info for internal usb wireless.

Manufacturer=Ralink
Product=802.11 bg WLAN
VendorID=0db0  ProductID=6877  KERNEL-MODULE=rt73u
Atom CPU readout from Pupsys-info

=== CPU ===

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 28
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 1596.096
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm
bogomips	: 3192.19
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 28
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 1596.096
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 1
initial apicid	: 1
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm
bogomips	: 3191.93
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:
Fat32 pendrive install made with http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

personal save file is now 1 gig on sdb pendrive where Diamond is installed.
Backup I put in My Documents in internal 30gig zif drive running Windows XP. Backup is 512MB save file.

Wireless was a breeze with Barrys simple network manager. Funny thing is. I tried Slack0 first. Wth rt73 module in Slack0. Barry network manager and Dougal failed for some reason regarding wpa2 which I use on home router.
No problems with that in Diamond.

Tint 2 taskbar hides my drive icons (cuts them off 1/2 way, no biggy though for me). Trying to figure out though how to find size of personal save file before getting the orange window warning.

Just installed today while barbecuing steaks for holiday. Using xorg-high pet also for intel 945 chip.

sh-4.1# glxgears
2305 frames in 5.0 seconds
2238 frames in 5.0 seconds
2211 frames in 5.0 seconds
2181 frames in 5.0 seconds
2230 frames in 5.0 seconds
All in all. Diamond works pretty durn well on this M&A Companion Netbook.
Might be some cheap ones left if you live in the USA. It is a toughbook that is kid proof with a water resistant keyboard. I own eeepcs also.
Google 'M&A Companion 8.9" ebay '
There should still be a few refurbished $149.00 ones available.

Thanks TLM for one fine distro from a Biker in TX.

Edit: forgot to mention. Flash 11 and java 1.7 working out of the box (enabled java in addons). Full screen flash also works good.
Attachments
image-1.png
(68.06 KiB) Downloaded 952 times

TLM

#78 Post by TLM »

Hi rokytnji,
Happy to hear that Diamond is working well for your setup. A couple possible solutions to the panels hiding your drive icons:

First, you might try manually moving the icons and then see if they stay put after reboot.

Second, you can lower the size of the panels a few pixels. You will need to do the lxpanel on the left and the tint2 on the right separately: To change the size of lxpanel, just right click on it anywhere and choose Panel Settings (4th item up) In the resulting Panel Preferences box, change the Height and Icon settings to about 36.

Now, for the tint2 panel, you will have to manually edit a text file. Open Thunar and enable hidden files (under View---Show Hidden Files) Now navigate to /root/.config/tint2/
Now open the tint2rc file with a text editor (just left click on it) and go down to line 41 and CAREFULLY backspace off the 40 and then type 36. Save the file and close. Restart the xserver for the tint2 size to take effect. If 36 pixels is too much or too little, you can repeat the above steps with a different value until you achieve the desired results.

rokytnji

#79 Post by rokytnji »

First off. Thanks for the prompt reply.

I took the easy way out and just moved the drive icons and then locked them.
They survived a reboot.

Thanks also for the tint2 tip. I am sure other users of Diamond can benefit from it.

I run tint2 taskbar in fluxbox in AntiX also with a Conky. I tricked it out a bit to make it autohide and look and act like a faux gnome 3 panel.

http://i39.tinypic.com/29llnbt.jpg

That is on a IBM T23 Laptop that triple boots Windows 2K pro/Puppy 520/and Antix 8.5 on a 100 gig hard drive.

My pastebin files if you care to look at them
http://pastebin.com/zhx39vRE
http://pastebin.com/8gjFkgZ8

Happy Trails, Rok

TLM

#80 Post by TLM »

rokytnji wrote:First off. Thanks for the prompt reply.

I took the easy way out and just moved the drive icons and then locked them.
They survived a reboot.

Thanks also for the tint2 tip. I am sure other users of Diamond can benefit from it.

I run tint2 taskbar in fluxbox in AntiX also with a Conky. I tricked it out a bit to make it autohide and look and act like a faux gnome 3 panel.

http://i39.tinypic.com/29llnbt.jpg

That is on a IBM T23 Laptop that triple boots Windows 2K pro/Puppy 520/and Antix 8.5 on a 100 gig hard drive.

Cool! I really like the lightweight panels and window managers, even on strong hardware.

My pastebin files if you care to look at them
http://pastebin.com/zhx39vRE
http://pastebin.com/8gjFkgZ8

Happy Trails, Rok