How to synchronize my bookmarks/favorites? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Foucault

How to synchronize my bookmarks/favorites? (Solved)

#1 Post by Foucault »

I'm currently using Seamonkey with Puppy 2.02. Due to software requirements, I do need to run Windows XP during my work day. I've just switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox, because I fell in love with Seamonkey's tabs (why didn't I discover them earlier - they're so convenient). I did appreciate the easy way Firefox allowed me to import my IE Favorites.

At certain times, I'm going to be bookmarking web pages in Windows Firefox, and at other times, I want to bookmark pages with Puppy's Seamonkey. Ideally, I would like access to all my bookmarks from both browsers. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks!

slvrldy17

Exporting Bookmarks

#2 Post by slvrldy17 »

Since I often copy my bookmarks from Windows/Firefox to Puppy Firefox I and Firefox and Seamonkey share at least some code you could try the way I do it. In Windows/Firefox go to Bookmarks>File>Export and export the list to a folder as a CSV file saved in a place where you can access it from Seamonkey by going again to File>Import> Browse to the folder. No gaurantee that it will work but I see no reason why it shouldn't. I've also done the same thing with address books from my Windows mail client program and copied them to Thunderbird and/or Slypheed in Puppy.
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

fluxit

#3 Post by fluxit »

While running Puppy, look in your /root/.mozilla directory.

Find your profile directory within one of the subdirectories, it will have a name such as kjco03gd.default. You'll know it when you find it, because it contains your bookmarks.html among others.

Within this directory create a file named user.js . This file should contain the line:
userpref("browser.bookmarks.file", "/mnt/home/whereveryourwinfirefoxbookmarksarelocated/bookmarks.html");

Now Seamonkey will use your Windows bookmarks file instead of its own.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.bookmarks.file for more information.

--Lee

Foucault

#4 Post by Foucault »

Lee - I found that article a little confusing. Does this replace my seamonkey bookmarks with my windows firefox ones? What happens if I subsequently bookmark a site using seamonkey?

My guess is that this allows me to bookmark sites in Windows, but I won't be able to bookmark sites using Seamonkey, right?

I wonder if there's an add-in that will allow bookmarks to be saved somewhere (maybe gmail for example?) and accessed automatically?
fluxit wrote:While running Puppy, look in your /root/.mozilla directory.

Find your profile directory within one of the subdirectories, it will have a name such as kjco03gd.default. You'll know it when you find it, because it contains your bookmarks.html among others.

Within this directory create a file named user.js . This file should contain the line:
userpref("browser.bookmarks.file", "/mnt/home/whereveryourwinfirefoxbookmarksarelocated/bookmarks.html");

Now Seamonkey will use your Windows bookmarks file instead of its own.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.bookmarks.file for more information.

--Lee

jason.b.c

#5 Post by jason.b.c »

Well if your using firefox then give this a try..

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/booksync
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

an easy way is to have your links online
http://www.favoor.com/

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

fluxit

#7 Post by fluxit »

Does this replace my seamonkey bookmarks with my windows firefox ones? What happens if I subsequently bookmark a site using seamonkey?
Yes, in as far as your seamonkey will be using your firefox's bookmark file. The actual seamonkey bookmark file should be unaffected(just unused.) If you need bookmarks from that file, simply copy it to your windows "drive" and use firefox's bookmarks import function.

When adding a bookmark using seamonkey, the bookmark will be added to your firefox bookmark file.
My guess is that this allows me to bookmark sites in Windows, but I won't be able to bookmark sites using Seamonkey, right?
You should be able to add and manage your bookmarks from either or both.
All that this userpref does is it tells seamonkey to use firefox's(win) bookmark file as it's own. As noted in the referenced article, live bookmarks(rss feeds) from firefox will be converted to normal urls by seamonkey, but that should be the only serious caveat. If you are worried about your bookmarks, just back-up both bookmarks.html files before creating the user.js file.

Foucault

#8 Post by Foucault »

fluxit wrote:When adding a bookmark using seamonkey, the bookmark will be added to your firefox bookmark file.

You should be able to add and manage your bookmarks from either or both.
All that this userpref does is it tells seamonkey to use firefox's(win) bookmark file as it's own. As noted in the referenced article, live bookmarks(rss feeds) from firefox will be converted to normal urls by seamonkey, but that should be the only serious caveat. If you are worried about your bookmarks, just back-up both bookmarks.html files before creating the user.js file.
This looks like a good solution, although I do kind of like the idea of completely portable bookmarks, such as would happen with Lobster's suggestion.

Just to clarify things, it's perfect OK for me to bookmark sites using Seamonkey (Linux) and have those bookmarks updated in my Firefox bookmarks file, which is in Windows NTFS?

cobelloy

#9 Post by cobelloy »

I wrote a page in the wiki explaining how to do this - did you look there:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToShareM ... wsAndPuppy

Foucault

#10 Post by Foucault »

cobelloy wrote:I wrote a page in the wiki explaining how to do this - did you look there:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToShareM ... wsAndPuppy
Good grief, that seems complicated! I do appreciate your input, but I'm booting from LiveCD, and don't want to change that. I guess a web-based solution is the only way then.

cobelloy

#11 Post by cobelloy »

its not at all complicated - the guts of it is you create a new profile in puppy and give it the same name as your windows profile - then direct it to the /mozilla folder in windows - it will automatically use all the windows stuff, address book, bookmarks etc. Anything new you add in either puppy or windows will save into the same profile

fluxit

#12 Post by fluxit »

Foucault,
Just to clarify things, it's perfect OK for me to bookmark sites using Seamonkey (Linux) and have those bookmarks updated in my Firefox bookmarks file, which is in Windows NTFS?
I have corresponded with people who have done this successfully on fat32. If you try it you may be blazing new territory on ntfs. I can't give you any guarantees. I don't have ntfs here, and don't want it.

--Lee

Foucault

#13 Post by Foucault »

Well, I chickened out of blazing new territory!

Anway, I wanted to share with the group how I did manage to find a workable solution. I switched to Firefox on both operating systems (I prefer Firefox to Seamonkey anyway) and used the "Chipmark" Firefox extension/system, which you can find out about here:

www.chipmark.com

It's a hybrid browser/web-based solution, which means it's really easy to bookmark a page, it's folder or tag based (I prefer folder based) and I can access my bookmarks from any computer. It also works with Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I'm a little nervous about a web-based system eating all my bookmarks, so for me, having a "back-up" in the regular Firefox bookmarks is a must. Chipmark's import/export features work very well for me.

What's more, Chipmark is an open-source project from a group of computer-science students at the University of Minnesota.
Last edited by Foucault on Tue 15 Aug 2006, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

trapster

#14 Post by trapster »

Try this-

Type about:config into the location bar.

Right click -> a new string named browser.bookmarks.file

Then double click and type (location to new bookmarks location) C:\\Path To Netscape Profile\\bookmarks.html

The following is from mozilla.org

Use your Netscape 6/7 or Mozilla bookmarks in Firefox

If you are using Netscape 6/7 or Mozilla, you can share your bookmarks with Firefox. All bookmarks are stored in a file called bookmarks.html and is stored in the profile folder. For example, if you want to use the bookmarks for Netscape 7 in Firefox, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Specify which bookmarks file to use:
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "C:\\Path To Netscape Profile\\bookmarks.html");

Remember to use two backslashes for the path separators if you're using Windows, e.g. C:\\Path\\bookmarks.html instead of C:\Path\bookmarks.html.

This tip can also be used on dual-boot systems to use the same bookmarks on both operating systems. Just make sure that you place the file on a location that you have write access to from operating systems.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog