News, happenings
puppy_apprentice

#301 Post by puppy_apprentice »

i wonder if u can add to Debian boot script (before u start X) command:

Code: Select all

rdate -s ntp_server_address

eg. for Warsaw, Berlin and Paris

rdate -s ntp.task.gda.pl
maybe time will be setup automaticaly every boot (only if u r connected to internet)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#302 Post by Lobster »

rdate is actually more likely to be what is being used :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppy_apprentice

#303 Post by puppy_apprentice »

ok, nice, so if u connect your RPi to the net u don't have to set up your local time?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#304 Post by Lobster »

that's right
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Dave_G

#305 Post by Dave_G »

Since I don't have my Pi, I can't check if it reports the local time as GMT,
or as the corrected time in the time zone that it's being used in.
(although I can't see how it would determine that).

I have no doubt that it must use rdate at boot time which would imply a script
somewhere telling rdate exactly which time/date server to use.

Perhaps the Pi's are all shipped with rdate updating as UK time?

EDIT:

Rethinking this whole rdate thing.
Perhaps when the Pi contacts the date server,
the server checks the I.P. of the Pi which tells it in which country/region
it's in and servers out the time and date for that country/region ?

So many questions and no Pi :-(

puppy_apprentice

#306 Post by puppy_apprentice »

yep, i thought about the same, by local time i mean UK (country of RPi), to use eg. US u have to download locale package and choose your time zone, Lobster put info about US localization on Puppy ARM page

for pupy we could use script that will check IP (country) and will add/sub some hours to UK time or make the same like with current puppy - after X start user have to choose his time zone/keyboard etc. (time will be UK but after user choice it will be corrected to local time), or make image for every time zone (if i will have my RPi in future i can manage distro for eg. Eastern Europe)

rdate don't use ip only take info about system time zone i think

page to get time zone from IP (it is posible to call these page from script and parse inf about time zone)

http://www.ip2location.com/

but, time clock is not important i had Amiga without time clock (before i bought memory card with clock) and everything worked fine ;p
Last edited by puppy_apprentice on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#307 Post by Lobster »

The Raspberry Pi does not come with a real-time clock,[5] so an OS must use a network time server, or ask the user for time information at boot time to get access to time and date for file time and date stamping. However, a real-time clock (such as the DS1307) with battery backup can be added via the I2C interface.
Under Hardware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

puppy_apprentice

#308 Post by puppy_apprentice »

so to be sure, if u get Debian desktop u see your local time not UK (BST = GMT+1) but GMT+2 (if u r from Swiss Confederation)?

and if u get UK time, try to use rdate command in console (when i've changed hour in Puppy and use rdate with ntp server hour was changet co correct - my local time, but i think it take info from Puppy time zone)

sorry for strange questions but i'm curious

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#309 Post by Lobster »

The locales and time zone is set to London
At present it is changed like so
http://rohankapoor.com/2012/04/american ... pberry-pi/

A new image using QT is available
QtonPi
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
QT is a methodology we used for a while (no longer)
so I will not be looking at it . . . but some may have that preference . . . 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 03 May 2012, 03:39, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

shadower_sc

RPi Audio

#310 Post by shadower_sc »

Lobster wrote:
Alsa driver is included
Alsa Alpha
Tried it
Did not hear a growl from it. :shock:

Look forward to updates. :)
Did you try the following?
The alpha-quality ALSA driver included in this release is disabled by default. Type

modprobe snd_bcm2835

to enable it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#311 Post by Lobster »

Yes tried
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#312 Post by Lobster »

Somebody asked this and I did not answer :oops:
But does this version do SSL? In other words what happens when you go to an https site?
Basically I did not try a secure web site in Midori and am now recommending downloading and using Chrome (for now) as it solves some of the instability found in Midori. Chrome should have SSL, though I have not checked. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Woof and woof again

#313 Post by Lobster »

OK update on the state of the Raspberry's. From what little information I can glean, the SD image is unique on the Rpi. I tried woof2 three times in all but so far the image is failing to write and many packages are missing.

I am typing this in on my IPad. Cool.

Anyways I am pleased that I can use woof2 - not exactly sure that it is all there for the ARM but this is still being developed by Barry :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Woof and woof again

#314 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:OK update on the state of the Raspberry's. From what little information I can glean, the SD image is unique on the Rpi. I tried woof2 three times in all but so far the image is failing to write and many packages are missing.

I am typing this in on my IPad. Cool.

Anyways I am pleased that I can use woof2 - not exactly sure that it is all there for the ARM but this is still being developed by Barry :)
Woof is not ready to build for the RasPi. Currently only builds a Ubuntu Lucid based build for the Mele armv7 box.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

sickgut

#315 Post by sickgut »

im eager to get my hands on a rasp.

if anyone has one and they wanna make a quick buck, ill buy it from you for what it cost you + $30 AUD.

sickgut

#316 Post by sickgut »

Hey lobster...

what are your impressions of the rasp?
is the performance better or worse than what you where expecting?

im interested in what your expectations for the rasp where and also in what ways did the rasp meet your expectations or dissapoint you in various ways...

I am interested in what you thing about the rasp because you seem to be a knowledgeable power user that uses normal desktop computing and i respect your opinions.

also how hot does the board get? do you think it would work ok in a non ventilated small space?

people buying the rasp know its a low performance computer, but they have expectations, and i intend to make an OS that will impress, and maybe exceed their expectations initially and focus on what the rasp can do very well rather than normal computing and things the rasp cant do very well. We need to initially hold peoples attention and not dissapoint them. My experience with OS hopping, first impressions are everything. I intend to make a showcase of the blissful awesomeness of what the rasp pi can do, like on the first boot it will run a demo that shows off the rasps abilities.

Sylvander

#317 Post by Sylvander »

I'm interested in using the Raspberry_Pi connected to my 32-inch Sony Smart TV, using the TV as a monitor, and doing such stuff as browsing the web, and streaming movies to the TV.

Right now...
The smart TV can stream stuff straight from the web [e.g. LoveFilm & BBC_iPlayer], but...
It is limited in what it can do.
e.g. It doesn't browse the web, doesn't include NetFlix.
No wired/wireless mouse and keyboard supported.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#318 Post by Lobster »

Guys,
My Arm experience is based on three devices, the Wii, a cheap Andoid phone and the iPad. These devices are complete and polished devices.
The raspberry pi is not like that.
The rpi boots up fast, the hardware seems robust. The small size is impressive. The development tools and programming is in place.
The operating systems seem at Alpha stage, with some program's very robust and others not working.
This is a learning and project involvement tool. As such it's potential is all in place.
The speed of the rpi became an issue for me very early on.
It is slow.
When I set up the Debian to be Puppi like, the system was more responsive and this can be tweaked further. Rpi needs puppy know how. No doubt.
The innovation that will come from the Rpi will be incredible. That is because of the large user base.
The team at Rpi are smart cookies. I can imagine a faster board. Perhaps a multi-CPU component . . .
To be involved in something that is this phenomenal, at such an early stage is great.
I can not code on the wii, the android smartphone or the iPad.
I can already on the rpi. The Rpi foundation are focussing on learning packs.
What fun. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

sickgut

#319 Post by sickgut »

Lobster wrote:Guys,
My Arm experience is based on three devices, the Wii, a cheap Andoid phone and the iPad. These devices are complete and polished devices.
The raspberry pi is not like that.
The rpi boots up fast, the hardware seems robust. The small size is impressive. The development tools and programming is in place.
The operating systems seem at Alpha stage, with some program's very robust and others not working.
This is a learning and project involvement tool. As such it's potential is all in place.
The speed of the rpi became an issue for me very early on.
It is slow.
When I set up the Debian to be Puppi like, the system was more responsive and this can be tweaked further. Rpi needs puppy know how. No doubt.
The innovation that will come from the Rpi will be incredible. That is because of the large user base.
The team at Rpi are smart cookies. I can imagine a faster board. Perhaps a multi-CPU component . . .
To be involved in something that is this phenomenal, at such an early stage is great.
I can not code on the wii, the android smartphone or the iPad.
I can already on the rpi. The Rpi foundation are focussing on learning packs.
What fun. :)
it seems with better and better and faster PC hardware coming out all the time, that software developers get lazy and create bloated and resource intensive applications and games etc and dont worry about slimming or how much ram or cpu they use because it runs fine on their particularly newish computer... and everyone owns a computer that is only 2 years old max right?

I personally think that working within a restrictive hardware environment forces programmers to make more efficient applications. And i see the rasp pi as a positive force to influence a new influx of efficient applications, coded by people using restrictive hardware. I believe the rasp pi is powerful enough to do most things, but the software isnt efficient enough, and i believe that eventually the OS and other software will be tweaked and made more efficient to the point of it being a usable desktop experience. As for as gaming goes its already adequate, and as a server its fine as already. Its strange to deal with a hardware model that can play Quake 3 at the highest settings but cant run firefox or load gimp at a reasonable speed, this goes against everything that the intel/ i386/ x86 based PC's do, for ARM based rasp pi with its powerful gpu it seems as far as performance goes, everything is backwards.

is the GPU in the Rasp Pi actually more powerful than the CPU? I wonder if its possible to tap the GPU processing power, like modern supercomputer/ clusters do?

sickgut

#320 Post by sickgut »

The Rasp Pi, being rather power efficient could easily run off of solar power.I think when my rasp pi arrives ill experiment with this. Now to find an energy efficient monitor...... however if its being used as a server it wont need a monitor.

solar power rasp pi could be placed outside with a protective casing and attached to a webcam and transmit the video stream using wireless technology and or save to the SD card.