Can't save sessions to CD after first save

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Jeff

#1 Post by Jeff »

Although I've tried both CD-R and CD-RW media, I have been unable to save Puppy's on-going sessions. The first session and any changes I make save, but subsequent saves result in CD drive error messages.

When oh when will Linux be ready for "prime time"?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

What version of Puppy are you using.

#3 Post by Guest »

Ian wrote:What version of Puppy are you using.
I'm using the newest version.... 1.0.3

Jeff

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Just to be sure, you are trying to use multisession Puppy, right?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Can't save sessions to CD after first save

#5 Post by Lobster »

Jeff wrote: When oh when will Linux be ready for "prime time"?
Never.

The Multisession CD-R is not yet beta software. :)
We have to appreciate that we will keep coming up with new and exciting usages but quite often they will not work initially.

I use Puppy because (for me it is more reliable and workable than alternatives such as XP (which is also on this borrowed machine)

I understand your despair but there is still so much to do and I love the idea of the Multi-session too :)
but do not yet use it or expect it to work flawlessly . . .

For now we have to be assured that you burning it as a multi-session (which can be quite tricky) :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jeff

#6 Post by Jeff »

For now we have to be assured that you burning it as a multi-session
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I am burning the CD as a multisession and first-booting Puppy by pressing "5" as per the instructions.

I see that others are having the same problem as discussed here in this forum: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=660

Many thanks for your help.

Jeff

Update

#7 Post by Jeff »

Well, today I've been able to save 2 sessions using the CD-R I burned. I downloaded and installed Firefox, imported my bookmarks, and maricle of wonders, the session saved! I also saved a second session, to make a grand total of 3 saved sessions.

But now I'm getting the same old error once again when I try to save additional sessions. It seems this is an intermittent problem, but I'll be darned if I can determine what makes the difference between being able to save a session or not.

I eagerly await some guidance.

Regards,

Jeff

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

nduanetesh posted a solution in the multi-session section of the forum...
a hardware or bios limitation prevented the cd from booting if it has more than one track on it. He used a usb pen drive to start the boot process.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

"Premature EOF" problem: directories too deep

#9 Post by nduanetesh »

This doesn't sound like the same problem I was having, but I do think I might have some insight into this...

What it sounds like to me is that you are having the "Premature EOF" problem, which is normally because your directories are too deep. Following the instructions in the thread you linked to above may help you around this. Using the -D option in etc/rc.reboot seems to be helpful. Give it a shot and see if it works...

BUT

It might not, and I'll tell you why...(this took me a while to figure out)

(Let me preface this by saying I've identified this problem with mozilla mail, but it could also crop up in other programs...)

If you're using mozilla mail, when you create your account, a folder is created in the .mozilla directory, given a name you specify for "name of account". Inside this folder are created files, Inbox, Sent, etc. Now, a little later on mozilla will/may ask you if you'd like to create a set of "Local Folders", which I believe keep backups or copies or amalgamate your mail or something. I have admit that I didn't read the dialogue box carefully before I clicked "OK". So, a second set of Inbox, Sent, etc files are created, inside of the folder "Local Folders" in the .mozilla directory. And there's your problem. You've now got two sets of VERY deep folders which have nearly identical names. If you watch the text scrolling very fast when you are shutting down, you'll see a pile of errors which read something like:

mkisofs: Error: /root/.mozilla/default/(gibberish)/Mail/(your account name)/Inbox and /root/.mozilla/default/(gibberish)/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox have the same Rock Ridge name: Inbox

You'll see a pile of these, one for every file which exists in both Local Folders and Your Account Name. I think (but am not absolutely positive) that because of the mkisofs errors created by these files, mkisofs fails and your session cannot be burned. I tried everything I could to change/remove the "Local Folders" directory, but couldn't. I ended up burning a new multisession puppy CD and have been using sylpheed as my mail program. The problem has not popped up again.

Hope this helps.

ND

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff »

Many thanks to all who have replied!

Well, I burned a new Puppy CD, booted it pressing "5' on the keyboard, and made sure not to open Mozilla Mail. I set everything up (Firefox, favorites, etc.), and powered off. And once again, the dreaded "premature EOF on stdin" error appeared, and I lost all my work. Dang!

This single feature ... the ability to save your configurations to CD ... makes Puppy so attractive, and for me it is the most valuable feature of all in this distro. I'm eagerly awaiting the next release, when hopefully this bug will be quashed. Meanwhile I've got about 6 Puppy CDs with varying amounts of saved configurations on them.

Regards,

Jeff

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#11 Post by nduanetesh »

Just to be sure....

You linked to another thread which mentions adding a "-D" command to your rc.reboot file, to handle long file names. You are doing that, aren't you? And you are aware that rc.reboot is overwritten every time you reboot, so you either have to manually change the file every time you boot, or you have to set up a script to do it for you, such as Barry mentioned in that thread.

You are doing all of that, right? If you install firefox but don't add the -D to your rc.reboot file, you will get a "premature EOF" error and the boot will fail, no doubt about it.

ND

Jeff

rc.reboot file

#12 Post by Jeff »

I'm going looking for the rc.reboot file, but in case I can't find it, where is it located? What's the path?

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: rc.reboot file

#13 Post by Guest »

Jeff wrote:I'm going looking for the rc.reboot file, but in case I can't find it, where is it located?
After careful reading, I added "-D" to the mkisofs line in /root/etc/rcd/rc.reboot-cd and in /tmp/rc.reboot and saved them, replacing the original files. Still, no luck in saving to the CD. :(