Pdvdrsab-0.1 - a gtkdialog dvd rip/shrink/author/burn gui

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
edoc

#41 Post by edoc »

Should pdvdrsab meet his need ... ?
I'm wanting to rip dvd movies and store them on my computer to play on
my TV. My question is what, if any program preserves the menu
selection features like when you would just normally insert the DVD?

I tried a free program called HandBrake I got it off www.filehippo.com
and it works, but I can't figure out how to keep menu selections.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

jakfish

#42 Post by jakfish »

Here are some of my findings as I worked with my ASUS EEE 900, Puppy 4.1.2, and an external DVD burner/external hard drive as I ripped and re-burnt my own copy of Angel Heart:

First off, this is a great program. I'm amazed at what it can do.

The biggest problem I found was with the initial VOB file. The AH VOB file clocked in at 3.75gb, and I don't have room for that on my ASUS. So I had pdvdsab work with an external hdd (NTFS). I had hoped to simply copy the VOB to an 8gb usb flash drive, but no matter how I formatted the usb drive (ext2, ext3, fat32, ntfs), the file proved too big to copy.

In fat32, the VOB/flash drive would play in Puppy, but freeze at the 2gb mark even though the entire 3.75 file had ostensibly copied.

So if a user wanted to travel with a netbook and watch a movie on a usb flash drive, then s/he must rip, shrink, author to a big-enough drive, then copy the 4 VOB files to the flash drive.

This must be done WITHOUT selecting VAMPS. VOBs ripped with VAMPS did not play on my Puppy's gxine media player. Once the flash drive is ready, open File in gxine, find the flash drive, and choose all, and only, the VOB files. The movie will play.

But if you want to burn a DVD, I found that I had to use VAMPS to get the DVD to play in PowerDVD player on XP SP3, for example. [I have a lousy stand-alone dvd player which would not play the reburnt AH in any form--but I'm hoping that's because it's a crummy machine. I do not have another stand-alone to test.]

As an aside, I'd like to know why, when I formatted the USB flash drive in ext3, I still couldn't copy a 3.75gb file to it. Is that an ext3 limitation, or something to do with my USB flash drive?

Jake

plinej

#43 Post by plinej »

ext3 will support large files so I'm not sure why it wouldn't copy the whole file. I have not experienced that problem on any usb drives I have that are formatted to ext3.

jakfish

#44 Post by jakfish »

Thanks for your reply, and I figured out what was the problem: dodgy USB drive, even though brand new. Once I tried another USB flash, everything worked: full, shrunk,or authored VOB files.

It was driving me crazy until I figured it out.

Jake

wizzerd02

shrinking from hard disk

#45 Post by wizzerd02 »

I would like to shrink author and burn but already have the dvd ripped to a folder on my hard drive. When I choose shrink it asks for an existing vob or mpeg, but the main movie is composed of 5 different vob's. Do I have to choose each .vob that corresponds to the main movie to shrink or is there a way to choose a title number as you would when ripping from the disk and have all the vob's shrunk to fit a dvd 5 in one step?

I hope this makes sense

*Edit*
I see that I can just do a cat command in the terminal to create one .vob from many. I believe this solves my troubles.

i did notice however the vobcopy site mentions using -i /dev/dvd is a bad idea and is better to use a mount point. Should I be mounting the disk then changing the input to /mnt/sr0? (that is of course when I am trying to go from a disk and not the hard drive)

plinej

#46 Post by plinej »

I've found it unnecessary to mount the dvd to rip it. I've had no problems ripping directly from the device.

jakfish

#47 Post by jakfish »

As an update to my endless quest to bring successful VOB movies on the road without an actual player, I have found--at least w/ regard to the ASUS EEE 900--that the key is in USB flash: it can't be larger than 4GBs, no matter what drive format chosen.

I've tried putting one or two 3.75GB VOB files on two different makes of 8GB USB drives and no scenario would play (the ASUS EEE has a second 8GB NTFS SSD, which will hold and play two VOB movies, so perhaps the problem lies more w/ USB drives than the ASUS, I just don't know).

But I've purchased two Kingston DataTraver 4GB, both willl hold a VOB without the need to shrink, and both play movies without complaint (in FAT32).

Though my set of circumstances are particularly arcane, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else can replicate this oddness.

Jake

Hugh

Long Movie rip to fat32

#48 Post by Hugh »

Apparently the problem I've experienced with pdvdrsab is a characteristic of fat 32. I'm running MediaPup 4.1.2r as a frugal on my Win98 machine.

When I rip the movie a single VOB is created that gradually increases in size until it hits the fat 32 'wall' at 4096 MB then abruptly exits.

The length of the movie is 7.9 GB so I have the partial.vob which is about 53% of the total movie and I'm not able to find a way to resume the rip to pick up the rest of the movie.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to modify the script to enable the creation of multiple successively numbered 1024 MB VOBs (or the same size as the original ripped VOBs) instead of the one massive VOB, to permit compatibility with fat32 and versatile authoring into more than one dvd later?

Gorilla no baka

Pdvdrsab Puppy linux 4.20

#49 Post by Gorilla no baka »

All right...

Here`s what`s going on....I just decided half hearted to upgrade from 215CE to Puppy linux 4.20 and yestarday i also tryed to rip a DVD..

Everything was fine ..The ripping was succesful , i ended up with a 6GB .vob file which was obviously way to big to store it on a 4 GB DVD..

So i decided to shrink it in order to be able to burn it on my dvd..
After 20 minutes of shrinking i ended up with a smaller file that could fit on my dvd ..THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT AFTER I SHRANK IT I LOST THE SUBTITLING...NO MATTER WHICH CHANNEL I CHOSE THE SUPTITLE IS LOST..

I tried various sizes and stuff but I have noticed that while i keep the riped .vob file at the original 6 GB I still can access the subtitles..

The moment i try to shrink it even more...

THEY`RE GONE...

Is there Any way arount this,...?? I mean having a 4GB Shrunk file and subtitles in the same time..?

THank you
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/29zdifo.jpg[/img]
[b]
[color=red]I'M IN MY OWN WORLD[/color].[/b] [color=darkred]IT'S OK, THEY KNOW ME HERE..!!![/color]

Gorilla no baka

Pdvdrsab acting funny

#50 Post by Gorilla no baka »

Anyone??

Can anyone help me out guys..?

Cheers!
[b]
[color=red]I'M IN MY OWN WORLD[/color].[/b] [color=darkred]IT'S OK, THEY KNOW ME HERE..!!![/color]

Hugh

The shrink

#51 Post by Hugh »

Gorilla no baka,

When you take the .vob to the 'shrink' it loses many of its features like menu options and subtitle options.

Is there anything that one can do before the 'shrink' that will retain a subtitle?

That's way over my head...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've been attempting to rip with Pdvdrsab in my fat32 frugal install of 4.1.2r MediaPup but for some reason when I either 'rip' or 'mirror copy' the resultant .vob is limited to 4GB and I'm therefore not able to obtain the entire movie when its a long one. Rip and Mirror Copy seem to do the same thing. Is it possible that my install is corrupted or is this a characteristic of Pdvdrsab?

I've installed Pupdvdtool as an option and it does the 'mirror copy' as it's supposed to; I get a set of files that are exactly like the original set on the DVD, unscrambled of course, so now I'm back in biz!! I'd rather not shrink the longer movies so I can put them onto two disks.

All is well with my Puppy once again!

Gorilla no baka

Re: The shrink

#52 Post by Gorilla no baka »

Hugh wrote:Gorilla no baka,

When you take the .vob to the 'shrink' it loses many of its features like menu options and subtitle options.

Is there anything that one can do before the 'shrink' that will retain a subtitle?

That's way over my head...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've been attempting to rip with Pdvdrsab in my fat32 frugal install of 4.1.2r MediaPup but for some reason when I either 'rip' or 'mirror copy' the resultant .vob is limited to 4GB and I'm therefore not able to obtain the entire movie when its a long one. Rip and Mirror Copy seem to do the same thing. Is it possible that my install is corrupted or is this a characteristic of Pdvdrsab?

I've installed Pupdvdtool as an option and it does the 'mirror copy' as it's supposed to; I get a set of files that are exactly like the original set on the DVD, unscrambled of course, so now I'm back in biz!! I'd rather not shrink the longer movies so I can put them onto two disks.

All is well with my Puppy once again!

On two disks???? YOU MEAN ON TWO DVD`S RIGHT?? because a normal movie would come on a dual layer dvd which when you rip it you will end up with about 5.87 to 6.50 GB depending of the movie...

There must be a way to compress it down to 4 GB without loosing features. (Ok i do not give much about the menus but the subtitles ..yeah i do care about it..I speak english ,spanish some french and romanian but if i stumble over any other movie that requires subtitles than i am screwed.)

Don`t you guys think that this must be on the TO DO LIST FOR THE NEW PUPPYES???

Having a tools that actually work on ripping and shrinking DVD`s??

Pdvdrsab it must have been great like seven years ago..But right now the code is outdated i gues....
It seems obvious to me that Pdvdrsab has been designed with single layer DVD`s in mind and the code is has not been written with DUAL LAYERS DVD`s in mind...
[b]

plinej

#53 Post by plinej »

I'm pretty much done with this code and anyone is free to expand on it to fix bugs and add features. I just don't have the time anymore.

joopyhellspawn

#54 Post by joopyhellspawn »

Is there somewhere I can go to find out how to use this program. I have a folder which contains all the files from a DVD and I don't know how to turn it into a playable DVD. Do I author it? Or just burn it? In the author section there are 2 text fileds, the first I guess is for the directory where the files are located but I don't know what the 2nd line if for. Is that where I should give the dvd a name? Help please.

zigbert

#55 Post by zigbert »

joopyhellspawn
If you have a complete video_ts directory, you can burn it with Pburn. Just add your video_ts to the burn list, select video burn-mode, and go burning....

Sigmund

Hugh

Fat32 4GB limitation

#56 Post by Hugh »

The FAT32 solution turned out to be much simpler than I had
imagined it might be.

Instead of 'ripping' the DVD into a massive VOB, make a
'Mirror Copy.' The Mirror Copy will be a set of VOBs
identical to the original DVD structure and all other files
present.

Delete all unecessary files, in order to focus on the
movie track alone, then re-master a new .iso.

I use the ISO-Master utility to construct the new DVD
iso. Since none of this was 'intuitive' to me I had to do
some reading and studying about DVD files and how to
Author and re-master.

With a little practice it gets easy. Even for a dummy like
me!

The FAT32 format is not a problem at all with the normal
1 GB vobs in the original DVD construct.

don570

#57 Post by don570 »

I explain how to use pdvdrsab and
to burn a TV show to DVD in the following post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 660#599660

I also explain how to keep the caption information when doing a burn.

Hint: The secret is to avoid using ffmeg. :lol:

Rocket

#58 Post by Rocket »

I've fixed a few minor issues with pdvdrsab on recent puppies.

1. Updated optical drive identification (Select your DVD drive...).
2. QUIT button on "dvd info" popup works now.
3. Mirror Copy option satisfies the mount requirement of vobcopy.

Tested on PolarPup, Slacko, and Racy.
Attachments
pdvdrsab.tar.gz
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

sunburnt

#59 Post by sunburnt »

I have code that adds to the ripping abilities of pdvdrsab.
But I need to scrape the rxvt screen for it`s output to automate it.

I can get dvd info from vobcopy, but I can`t get the ripping info line.
I can get the top of vobcopy`s ripping report, but not the bottom line.

Here`s my attempt at getting the last rxvt line when ripping:

Code: Select all

vobcopy -l -n $T -o $OutPath 2>&1 | tail -n1