Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 13:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 199 of 252 [3774 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, ..., 250, 251, 252 Next
Author Message
step

Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 931

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 12:58    Post subject: GMA500 support  

Subject: GMA500 support
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie of puppy linux, this is my first post. I've visited this forum many times in the past, in awe and admiration of this distro and its community. I have live tested many puppies, but the lack of good GMA500 (poulsbo) support has pushed me back. Now it seems that ubuntu 12.04 has greatly improved gma500 support with a new driver, so I'm wondering if that driver can be fitted into puppy linux, preferably into saluki. I'm a user, not a programmer, so I would appreciate some orientation and direction from expert members of this forum. I'm posting in this topic only for now, as saluki is really where I'd want to be if the gma500 could be made to work well. I did find in the forum a poulsbo driver in a 2009 post, but I don't know if that driver works with recent puppies like saluki, and anyway the post says that even with that driver graphics quality is marginal. Thank you in advance for your answers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
step

Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 931

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 13:39    Post subject:  

minor documentation bug: in <F2> boot help screen, Examples section:
puppy acpi=off pfix=fr should be
puppy acpi=off pkeys=fr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
greengeek


Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 4662
Location: Republic of Novo Zelande

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 14:12    Post subject:
Subject description: Saluki usb boot freeze
 

I mentioned a Saluki usb boot freeze problem here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73687&start=2865
and Brown Mouse echoed something similar with Lucid 528.005 here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73687&start=2867

I have investigated this more deeply in a separate post as I think that Saluki and recent Lucids share this bug and I do not want to clog the Saluki topic with specifics about USB booting.

More info here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=625096#625096
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
cafedurst


Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Location: South Düsseldorf, Germany

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 18:57    Post subject: Fun in Minutes
Subject description: took me not 10 minutes
 

I gave the iso a try and here i am in native resolution and wireless / static ip with less than 10 minutes on an acer 5611-300. Great work! I'll give it a long run! Very Happy

One quick question, which might be the right sfs for the jdk?
Thanks in advance!

Good night!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 2302
Location: Queensland

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 22:56    Post subject: Re: Fun in Minutes
Subject description: took me not 10 minutes
 

cafedurst wrote:
I gave the iso a try and here i am in native resolution and wireless / static ip with less than 10 minutes on an acer 5611-300. Great work! I'll give it a long run! Very Happy

One quick question, which might be the right sfs for the jdk?
Thanks in advance!

Good night!


These should be ok to use, Java JDK or Java JRE
Be aware that there could be issues with LibreOffice3.4.5.sfs, there is also a LibreOffice-3.5.1-en_us-2.sfs in the Saluki repo, unsure if it has any problems with java.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Karl Godt


Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 4208
Location: Kiel,Germany

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 22:59    Post subject:  

Two pets for the adventurous :

hdparm-9.39 statically compiled on Saluki (019) by make on Asus Eeepc 1005 uname -m i686

smartmontools-5.42 dynamically

I am using three Hitachi drives , so busybox hdparm which is quite fine but does not support the -H option is not enough for me .
Quote:
# hdparm -H /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive temperature (celsius) is: 34
drive temperature in range: yes

The ppm lists one hdparm .pet as hdparm-9.37-w5c .
hdparm statically is about 550 KB compared to 95 KB dynl (both stripped) .

smartmontools includes smartctl binary to get also the temperature of the drive by smartctl -A /dev/sda |grep 194 .
Quote:
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 157 157 000 Old_age Always - 35 (Min/Max 13/43)

The smartmontools pet includes the processed /etc/init.d/ start script, which i have chmod 644 and not adjusted for Puppy Linux .

(btw new2dir needs a sort -u before reading files to process .. here i saw double, on one cups attempt 6x the same file ..)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
davemusic

Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 3
Location: London,UK

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 01:26    Post subject: windows key (super key) not working with UK (gb) keyboard
Subject description: EEE PC's with English (gb) keyboards windows key - best solutions?
 

Hello,
This is my first post (well.... second now - since I discovered that I posted my first attempt in the wrong forum Embarassed ) – despite having “discovered” Puppy when I lived in Australia 4 years ago.
I bought my first Asus EEEPC there and one fortunate day I “discovered” that there was a “Puppy variation” (I believe the correct term is Puplet?) by Jemimah called Puppeee.
I have been using/fixing EEE PC's from Ebay to provide assistance for the elderly and people with dementia.
Since my return to London, I have picked up a few 701 and 900's with UK keyboards.
Recently I started to use Saluki which I perceive to be an even better incarnation of Puppeee (if that is possible Very Happy ).

My problem.
I found that the Windows Key (Super key) is not defined/present with a UK keyboard. If I use a US keyboard (which I prefer) – then the Windows key is fine.

I researched (a little) and I have found a number of ways to circumvent this issue.
I am not sure which one is “best” or even if this could be considered a bug hence; my posting here to ask your advice/comments.

Solutions I have found so far are;
    issue a command from terminal –
    Code:
    # xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Super_L NoSymbol Super_L"

    add an entry to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the InputDevice Section -
    Code:
     Option         "XkbOptions" "altwin:super_win"

    create my own “.Xmodmap” in $HOME.


I have not found deciphering xkb an easy task.
I like solution 2 BUT, whenever someone other than me uses the “country settings” wizard (or any other tool that automatically modifies xorg.conf) – then my change is lost. Solution 3 is not subject to "loss" but, seems to me to be less elegant because it is (sort of) hidden. By that - I mean - not self-documenting.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

David.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 10:15    Post subject:  

chrome307 wrote:
Hi there

Can someone tell me which kernel the latest iso is using ie *.021?

I saw that it was based on Wary 5.2, and that is an older kernel compared to Lucid 528.

Also I would like to know how to update the kernel if possible and where I can find the necessary files?

Finally, having tried this out yesterday for thte first time I was impressed and would like to have a go at compiling some applications for this build.

Is the " --prefix=$HOME " to become

" --prefix=/usr "

or the default

" --prefix=/usr/local/ "

Thanks in advance!


The kernel info is in the first post of this thread. There is no "newer kernel" available at this time but there is a PAE kernel. Use the custom builder to rebuild the ISO with a diifferent kernel.

To compile

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var


usually does the trick.

If you package anything good let me know and I'll add it to the repo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 10:16    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Is there a suitable Firefox 12* sfs yet?


Not that I know of. Does someone want to make one?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 10:17    Post subject: Re: VERSION  

gcmartin wrote:
ETP wrote:
chrome307 wrote:
Hi there

Can someone tell me which kernel the latest iso is using ie *.021?


See:

http://linuxwave.blogspot.co.uk/2007/05/how-to-check-your-kernel-version.html

http://tubeguy.org/PLRC-0.01b.html

http://www.gefoo.org/generalfoo/2011/03/09/useful-wallpaper-for-linux-newbies/
Are there instructions somewhere on
  1. how setup to boot alternate kernels at boot-time?
  2. I am wondering whether GRUB4DOS is needed or is CustomBuilder required?
  3. And, if one provided multiple kernels to the builder, would it build a boot-manager with the smarts to select which to use at boot-time?
Thanks in advance


Multiple kernels on the same ISO are not supported at this time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 10:22    Post subject: Re: GMA500 support  

step wrote:
Subject: GMA500 support
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie of puppy linux, this is my first post. I've visited this forum many times in the past, in awe and admiration of this distro and its community. I have live tested many puppies, but the lack of good GMA500 (poulsbo) support has pushed me back. Now it seems that ubuntu 12.04 has greatly improved gma500 support with a new driver, so I'm wondering if that driver can be fitted into puppy linux, preferably into saluki. I'm a user, not a programmer, so I would appreciate some orientation and direction from expert members of this forum. I'm posting in this topic only for now, as saluki is really where I'd want to be if the gma500 could be made to work well. I did find in the forum a poulsbo driver in a 2009 post, but I don't know if that driver works with recent puppies like saluki, and anyway the post says that even with that driver graphics quality is marginal. Thank you in advance for your answers.


Ubuntu drivers are a no-go in saluki - might be possible with the new Upup but it's still in alpha.

Unless an open source driver has been released, Decent PSB support in saluki is highly unlikely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 10:28    Post subject:  

Karl Godt wrote:
Two pets for the adventurous :

hdparm-9.39 statically compiled on Saluki (019) by make on Asus Eeepc 1005 uname -m i686

smartmontools-5.42 dynamically

I am using three Hitachi drives , so busybox hdparm which is quite fine but does not support the -H option is not enough for me .
Quote:
# hdparm -H /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive temperature (celsius) is: 34
drive temperature in range: yes

The ppm lists one hdparm .pet as hdparm-9.37-w5c .
hdparm statically is about 550 KB compared to 95 KB dynl (both stripped) .

smartmontools includes smartctl binary to get also the temperature of the drive by smartctl -A /dev/sda |grep 194 .
Quote:
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 157 157 000 Old_age Always - 35 (Min/Max 13/43)

The smartmontools pet includes the processed /etc/init.d/ start script, which i have chmod 644 and not adjusted for Puppy Linux .

(btw new2dir needs a sort -u before reading files to process .. here i saw double, on one cups attempt 6x the same file ..)


I've added hdparm to the repo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 10:31    Post subject: Re: windows key (super key) not working with UK (gb) keyboard
Subject description: EEE PC's with English (gb) keyboards windows key - best solutions?
 

davemusic wrote:
Hello,
This is my first post (well.... second now - since I discovered that I posted my first attempt in the wrong forum Embarassed ) – despite having “discovered” Puppy when I lived in Australia 4 years ago.
I bought my first Asus EEEPC there and one fortunate day I “discovered” that there was a “Puppy variation” (I believe the correct term is Puplet?) by Jemimah called Puppeee.
I have been using/fixing EEE PC's from Ebay to provide assistance for the elderly and people with dementia.
Since my return to London, I have picked up a few 701 and 900's with UK keyboards.
Recently I started to use Saluki which I perceive to be an even better incarnation of Puppeee (if that is possible Very Happy ).

My problem.
I found that the Windows Key (Super key) is not defined/present with a UK keyboard. If I use a US keyboard (which I prefer) – then the Windows key is fine.

I researched (a little) and I have found a number of ways to circumvent this issue.
I am not sure which one is “best” or even if this could be considered a bug hence; my posting here to ask your advice/comments.

Solutions I have found so far are;
    issue a command from terminal –
    Code:
    # xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Super_L NoSymbol Super_L"

    add an entry to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the InputDevice Section -
    Code:
     Option         "XkbOptions" "altwin:super_win"

    create my own “.Xmodmap” in $HOME.


I have not found deciphering xkb an easy task.
I like solution 2 BUT, whenever someone other than me uses the “country settings” wizard (or any other tool that automatically modifies xorg.conf) – then my change is lost. Solution 3 is not subject to "loss" but, seems to me to be less elegant because it is (sort of) hidden. By that - I mean - not self-documenting.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

David.


Create a shell script in /root/Startup with
Code:
xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Super_L NoSymbol Super_L"
inside. Make sure it's executable.

Then whenever Saluki starts it will run that command and fix your keymap. No mucking about in xorg.conf necessary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 2302
Location: Queensland

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 10:40    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Is there a suitable Firefox 12* sfs yet?


Not that I know of. Does someone want to make one?


Tman has a Firefox-12.0-official.pet here http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/firefox/ no sfs though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 11:25    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Is there a suitable Firefox 12* sfs yet?


Not that I know of. Does someone want to make one?


Tman has a Firefox-12.0-official.pet here http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/firefox/ no sfs though.


This seems like it has some internal libs missing.

EDIT: I have repaired it and am uploading it now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 199 of 252 [3774 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, ..., 250, 251, 252 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1195s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0550s) ][ GZIP on ]