Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 23:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Why is my Save file filling up so quickly?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
jicjoc

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 12:28    Post subject:  Why is my Save file filling up so quickly?  

Hi Guys,
New to puppy so please go easy on me.

Just installed puppy on an old laptop. Installed to the hdd which is ext3. Now whenever i download something it seems to take a huge chunk out of my personal storage meter in the bottom right of the screen.

What is this and why is this? I have a 100gig hdd but only have 512meg of personal storage. Am i running and storing everything from ram? How do i save things to my physical hard drive?

Thank you!
John
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 12:57    Post subject: Re: Storing everything in RAM?  

jicjoc wrote:
Hi Guys,
New to puppy so please go easy on me.

Just installed puppy on an old laptop. Installed to the hdd which is ext3. Now whenever i download something it seems to take a huge chunk out of my personal storage meter in the bottom right of the screen.

What is this and why is this? I have a 100gig hdd but only have 512meg of personal storage. Am i running and storing everything from ram? How do i save things to my physical hard drive?

Thank you!
John

You see the little house in the upper left corner? That is "home" (your savefile's /root/ folder). Click on "home", click on the up arrow icon. You should now see the primary folder of the system "/". One of the files will be "mnt" -- click on "mnt". You should now see a bunch of names like "sda1", "sdb1", etc.

One of them is named "home" (no, this "home" is not /root/).

Click on "home", and you should see the top folder on your main drive (the top folder of your 100 GB drive).

Storing files there will not consume space within the save file.

I often navigate to "/mnt" and drag the home icon to my desktop (it then creates a shortcut to your HDD).

Edit: BTW, when viewing /mnt/home/, you should also see your lupusave file (.2fs extension), among the other files.

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 15:34    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy gave you the basic info of saving directly to the hard drive outside the save file.

You have a frugal install of Puppy which uses a save file as storage. Think of the save file taking the place of the hard drive. In normal operation, any data changes are put in the save file.
Can adjust save file size with:
menu->Utility->Resize personal storage file.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 16:07    Post subject:  

Also your browser's cache will become very large very quickly if you for instance watch videos online. That cache is located in your Save file unless you put it somewhere else. If you're using SeaMonkey, you can tell it to put the cache in /tmp so the cache is not saved. In SeaMonkey, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache, click on Choose folder and navigate to /tmp.
jicjoc

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 18:04    Post subject:  

Thanks Guys!
I will play around with it & hopefully get the hang of it! So far so good with using /mnt/home!

Have to say that puppy is after bringing an 8 yr old laptop back to life, after my new one was stolen 2 nights ago. The 8 yr old dear was dead, running XP - too slow to fart, and now i can have 10 word doc's open in parallel with 20 mozilla tabs and it zips along!!
Love it so much...

The only question is, why didnt i try it years ago
shinobar

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 18:29    Post subject: Keep your savefile slim and healthy  

Browser settings:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110

Barkin

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2012, 19:06    Post subject:  

jicjoc wrote:
Have to say that puppy is after bringing an 8 yr old laptop back to life, after my new one was stolen 2 nights ago.

The only question is, why didnt i try it years ago

and the other question is: did you install "Prey" on the stolen laptop ? ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_%28software%29
jicjoc

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2012, 09:59    Post subject:  

I ddint install prey. But i will from now on!
Thank you Guys!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: