Is there a "Scandisk" to repair Puppy Squash File?

Using applications, configuring, problems
purple_ghost

Is there a "Scandisk" to repair Puppy Squash File?

#1 Post by purple_ghost »

Last evening My apartment building had a power hiccup.

As some of you already know. The next symptom is that Puppy.201r1 starts up to the point where it starts my firewall. Then hits the console. If I type in Xwin. I am warned that my last shutdown was not normal. I should run Xorgwizard. And then Xwin to start the desktop again. I do.

So the the Puppy starts and seems OK.

Is there a tool to repair the file structure of the Puppy squash file that is like what the Windows Scandisk will do for a FAT32 structure?

While I am here.

2. Where do I find the MD5's for the Pupget and DotPup files? I see the program which will do nested MD5's in the DotPup list. Although I am not sure that Puppy keeps the downloaded version after the install. I will look around some more about that.

3. Is there for Puppy like what an antivirus does for Windows.? The Antivirus scans the EXE files with a hashing program to verify that the EXE has not been changed.

And. Could someone please add some more clarifying descriptions to the DotPup's and the PupGet files? It takes several minutes to look up items like Aterm. Personally I prefer those who are capable of compiling DotPups would do that instead doing documentation. Just I have added a bunch of programs onto my version of Puppy/ I look at the list and have to stress about whether I want to keep something or the other. It just seems like an unecessary
difficulty. A major aggravation for a beginner.

darkerror05

#2 Post by darkerror05 »

1) i dont know what sort of probles are you haveing with it?
2) cant help you there.
3) md5sums are a similar idea.
4) if you want disriptions google that program or search the forum.
-darkerror

Yaverot

#3 Post by Yaverot »

squashfs is read-only so it doesn't need a chkdsk/scandisk like command.

now pup_save.3fs if it is moounted then
e2fsck (look up the options you want)
may work, I've used it (hit & miss) when I have a power outage while running puppy. Personally I'd be happier if the bootscript asked if I wanted to run e2fsck (or whatever) instead of complaining that the journal is wrong on hdaX and won't be loaded. Then leaving me wondering why when I try to mount with MUT it doesn't. But I can't have everything, after all I'm not telling you which switches you'd want to use with e2fsck.

dotpups /should/ have the MD5 inside for the other file in them, and AFAIK the dotpup installer automatically checks it. I've never had an invalid dotpup, so I don't know what it says if the file doesn't match. (And since .pup is just a renamed zip file, zip has also done an integrity check on extraction.)

IIRC we have an f-prot dotpup for antivirus. and you could make a script to make MD5 hashes of each program and then compare to stored value. AFAIK not antiv for windows checks the has of an exe, firewalls do as part of outbound monitoring (well the good ones anyway). Of course, then you need to update the MD5s each time you upgrade a package.

As guilty as I am for not doing this, I'll still recommend it to you; you can edit the wiki page to be more descriptive, or add pages. You can also give your impression of a good description for that dotpup in the forum topic it is annouced in.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

raffy

xloaded flag

#4 Post by raffy »

The console after a sudden outage and reboot happens because the flag (true) set in .XLOADED (hidden file) says that X is still running. It is a minor inconvenience that is totally different from the Win scandisk reaction.

(That flag causes remastered CDs in 1.xx versions to behave just like that - dropping to console during startup. Changing the .XLOADED flag before remastering does the trick.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

purple_ghost

Fix the internal structure of a corrupted pup_save.3fs.

#5 Post by purple_ghost »

File is read only? You must be using XP and thinking of how XP looks at the pup_save.3fs file. You are correct in saying that the Windows Scandisk for my FAT32 (Windows 98SE) will not look inside the pup_save.3fs file. DotPups are saved inside the pup_save.3fs. I also have saved txt and music files inside of the pup_save.3fs. So Yes I feel sure I write inside the pup_save.3fs.. I hypothsize a power outage can corrupt the structure inside the pup_save.3fs. Therefore, In the eventuality that my pup_save.3fs file becomes corrupted, how might I fix the internal structure of the pup_save.3fs???? Scandisk is the program which Windows 98 uses to fix corrupted hard drive structure, which is why Windows is usually set to automatically run Scandisk when a proper shutdown has not occurred. I do not think the Windows 98 Scandisk looks inside the pup_save3fs file.

In fact, I can not be really sure that the pup_save.3fs folder was not corrupted in my last power outage. Leaving me with a problem that will lurk around and manifest with a loss of information at some, future, very inconvenient time.

So I was looking for what ever program that Puppy Linux would use to fix the internal structure of a corrupted pup_save.3fs. ?????

Insofar as descriptions of Dotpups. Yes, I know about resources like:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=5448

Which has a more complete description of the packages available. However. One of the goals of making Puppy more usable is to make it so an individual does not have to do searches when a short phrase might explain what the package does. Although the vast majority of the DotPups are already well described.

I might also point out the DotPups for Yellow post-its is not present now. Another program is Sticky Notes. Which downloads but does not leave an Icon on the desktop or a start-up on the menu. Clicking what I see in Rox leads me to Mtpaint, which might mean I still to to configure something to use Sticky Notes.

I am less interested in having either or those programs when I realized how much my installing more programs slows down Puppy.

Several weeks ago I saved a backup copy of my then 3fs file. I extended size of my 3fs file using the option in Puppy. I loaded a bunch of programs into that extra space. When I had the power outage I went back to using the earlier, smaller 3fs file. . The smaller 3fs file makes Puppy run much faster than the larger 3fs with a bunch of programs installed. Puppy loads web pages on the Internet noticably faster with the smaller 3fs file.

So I am going to create a 3fs file to just to surf the internet with. Then keep another 3fs file with all the other programs.

If you are not aware of it. If one has multiple files which end with 3fs (On a computer with Windows 98 as the OS installed to the Hard Drive).. Then when you start up Puppy you are given the option as to which pup_save3fs you may use. This is easy to do and it is already built into Puppy. A really keen feature which will allow me to run different versions of Puppy.

I intend to save a copy of the DotPups which I will use. I was interested in the MD5 of Dotpups because I wanted to verify the integrity of the ones I keep. Then I can more easily re-built my Puppy 3fs file. Also so I can take those DotPups to other computers.

Down the road might mean that I am not using the latest version of some DotPups. I hope that someone might automate checking a computer has the latest version of a particular DotPup. Yes, I can do that manually for myself. However. Some people will not spend the time checking to see whether they have the latest DotPup. With the thought in mind that those of us who keep track copies of the DotPups we use will not have to download them again. Downloading which will take up bandwidth for those generous souls who have websites with DotPups. Perhaps I should have put that in the Suggestion Forum, Yet the info seems to be part of this discussion.

Your replies certainly demonstrates how ineffectively I communicate. Thanks for putting up with me.

raffy

pup001

#6 Post by raffy »

In the 1.xx versions that use the pup001 file, e2fsck is run whenever corrupted files are evident (at loading time). I assume 2.xx still does this.

However, if you are not in actual saving process when power outage occurred, you have nothing to worry about, as all file changes are still in memory, unsaved. Puppy only saves changes at shutdown, when you push the save button (in multisession), or every 30 minutes (?).

Good to know you're using multiple pup_save files.

As to dotpup versions, you raise a valid issue, and you can help out by marking certain dotpups "for 1.xx only", or something like that.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Béèm

#7 Post by Béèm »

I am running with multiple save.sfs files also. I was forced too after some freeze situations. So I have now 2 sav.sfs file which, when I want to use them, gives those journaling errors and prevent the boot with them to a good end.

So do I unterstand, that that e2fsck could 'revive' these save.sfs files?
If I run them from a working system and could repair them, is there a method to 'mount' them and see if there are stil usefull files I could retrieve?
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

Yaverot

#8 Post by Yaverot »

.sfs is read only. Type:
man squashfs
at a prompt if you don't believe me. I answered your exact question before attempting to answer the question you ment about pup_save.3fs which is an ext3 filesystem, not squash.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

Béèm

#9 Post by Béèm »

Yaverot wrote:.sfs is read only. Type:
man squashfs
at a prompt if you don't believe me. I answered your exact question before attempting to answer the question you ment about pup_save.3fs which is an ext3 filesystem, not squash.
Where you answering me?
In any case being new to linux these things like the filesystem are still obscure to me.

Anyway I tried to mount the wine_202.sfs following the referenced manual.
The mount on /mnt was apparently successull, but I only found a /mnt/usr directory, but I am not sure if this is the one from the mount command.

Trying another mount of xxxx_202.sfs failed.
Msg no such file or directory also the name typed was correct.

I then tried to repair one of those pup_savexxxx.3fs files
There was a start, but finally there was a message 'Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt. Abort (y)?'
So I said yes and I suppose the pup_savexxxx.3fs is definitively lost.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

raffy

sfs

#10 Post by raffy »

Yes, the message about "read-only" is about usual use of sfs files.

As to mounting and e2fsck of pup_save.3fs, this is yet to be discussed, so let's hear from others with experience in this, or from Barry Kauler himself.

purple_ghost

Interesting. Very Interesting.

#11 Post by purple_ghost »

Hi,

I am glad Yaverot gave me the info about a Squash file being read only.

I based my thoughts on the from Barry where he said that he would be using a squash file structure in 2.0. When I saw the new name for the puppy file. I thought that must be the squash file. I should know better than to make assumptions. I do not have time for everything. Please tell where the squash file is and what it refers to? I am guessing most of Puppy itself is in the Squash file, so I can not corrupt it, ha ha ha. and is not directly accessible to me.

I have not looked up about Squash files.

I do not have any experience with what B

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

dotpups /should/ have the MD5 inside for the other file in them, and AFAIK the dotpup installer automatically checks it
yes, that is one of the primary features of a dotpup package ... it should automatically self-check itself to see if there is any damage to the file

but i just realized (while adding gettext support to my script), that someone removed the md5sum check from the dotpup script ... there is no md5sum checking at all now ... so i wrote a new md5sum section, passing the md5sum file through a sed filter to remove the asterisks that busybox's md5sum program does not like

i also found a minor bug while doing a bash -x trace ... i did not cd out of the temp dir before i deleted it ... this does not cause any problems, but i fixed it anyway
IIRC we have an f-prot dotpup for antivirus
yes, i wrote a program that downloads the latest version of F-prot, and updates the virus definitions ... the link to the dotpup package is on my dotpups wiki page ... i also have a gtk2 xf-prot package on that page

F-prot takes about 15 minutes to scan my Win XP partition ... Kaspersky for dos takes about 45 minutes ... Clamav takes about 3 1/2 hours
you could make a script to make MD5 hashes of each program and then compare to stored value
programs like Tripwire and Rkhunter do that ... i was just making a Chkrootkit package for Puppy ... i had to add my own md5sum check, because Chkrootkit does not like Busybox (it says the programs are infected)
I was interested in the MD5 of Dotpups because I wanted to verify the integrity of the ones I keep
the dotpup packages have a built in md5sum check you can just click a dotpup to see if it is in perfect condition or not (of course, it is up to the packager to create the md5sum check file properly when he/she creates the package)

if you do not have it set to automatically run the installer script in the package, you can click "Cancel" when it asks ... at that point, the md5sum self check should have run

though having checksum for the packages would be convenient ... for example, i always make md5sum files for the files i burn on cds, so i can check that they burned correctly, and later, that the files are still in good condition ... if i have enough space, i often burn par2 files too, which can be used to repair damage if necessary
someone might automate checking a computer has the latest version of a particular DotPup
dotpups are not a package management system ... it's mostly just a simple installer, like NSIS, though it would be possible to add greater functionality ... when i first thought of the idea, i thought that one way to implement it would be to make each dotpup file a small stub that would automatically download and install the latest version of the package

Sit Heel Speak

#13 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

GuestToo wrote:...but i just realized (while adding gettext support to my script), that someone removed the md5sum check from the dotpup script...
Yikes!