Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 08:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 193 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 05:14    Post subject:  

First impression is that the difference is one mount less in the "return to X-Desktop" mount output .

This could indicate, that the part to unmount stray partitions once did run, and detecting a zombie process killed the parent of the zombie ...

So this might occur randomly, with one Puppy 511 and one racy-5.x i have jwm zombies .. probably by the jwm -restart|-reload command(s) that killing would normally not affect X, pup_event_frontend_d, delayedrun, xinitrc and that likes anymore because they should have been killed already by /usr/bin/wmreboot||/usr/bin/wmpoweroff ...

since the removal of /tmp directory occurs just before umount ing the stray partitions ..

and yes, i have confused Pupmode 6 and 7 ..

it might be, that somehow gettext or eval_gettext could have left a zombie process, maybe because of a typo ..
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 07:19    Post subject:  

It would appear that retrovol-saluki is broken in 020+. Specifically the icon does not show in the tray, though it works fine (eg responds to right-click etc).
Maybe related to the recent icon dir changes?
Any symlink that could solve this?
BTW where is the source? Barry's source for 0.10 and 0.12 does not compile (without "magic") in 021.

Marv

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 08:25    Post subject: Retrovol  

Quote:
It would appear that retrovol-saluki is broken in 020+. Specifically the icon does not show in the tray, though it works fine (eg responds to right-click etc).

I had the same problem starting roughly around 020. Removing the Saluki Retrovol and installing retrovol-Lucid-0.5 ( I believe from the repository) got me back the icon and all works fine.

jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:06    Post subject:  

I'm trying out luki 021 on a Lenovo S10-3t netbook/tablet.

Looks like a great success (incredibly fast shut down, for starters), but before I get to all the good things, I'm having trouble with xorg.conf and the Lenovo touch screen.

I have a working xorg in dpup exprimo which allows initial calibration and touch screen driver setup (which is needed before using calibration tool):

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Synaptics Mouse" "AlwaysCore" #serverlayoutsynaptics
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "touchscreen" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evtouch"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event10"
Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
Option "MinX" "80"
Option "MinY" "80"
Option "MaxX" "4095"
Option "MaxY" "4095"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
#Option "MaxTapTime" "220"
#Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
#Option "moving_action" "down"
#Option "moving_button" "1"
#Option "maybetapped_action" "click"
#Option "maybetapped_button" "3"
# Option "longtouched_action" "click"
# Option "longtouched_button" "3"
# Option "touched_action" "click"
# Option "touched_button" "1"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
EndSection

I've put the above in xorg.conf and I don't believe xorg is reading it upon reboot or X restart.

I do the modprobe hid-multitouch, modprobe evdev in rc.local, and while those commands give me a touchscreen, I'm unable to get calibration or any other of the touch commands that an edited xorg should give me.

Jake
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:11    Post subject:  

Karl Godt wrote:
First impression is that the difference is one mount less in the "return to X-Desktop" mount output .

This could indicate, that the part to unmount stray partitions once did run, and detecting a zombie process killed the parent of the zombie ...

So this might occur randomly, with one Puppy 511 and one racy-5.x i have jwm zombies .. probably by the jwm -restart|-reload command(s) that killing would normally not affect X, pup_event_frontend_d, delayedrun, xinitrc and that likes anymore because they should have been killed already by /usr/bin/wmreboot||/usr/bin/wmpoweroff ...

since the removal of /tmp directory occurs just before umount ing the stray partitions ..

and yes, i have confused Pupmode 6 and 7 ..

it might be, that somehow gettext or eval_gettext could have left a zombie process, maybe because of a typo ..

This is good detective work.

The question is, why are we getting these reports now. It must be something that changed recently or it could be a coincidence I guess.

Here is the relevant section of the diff:

Code:
 killzombies() {
  #ZOMBIES="`ps -H -A | grep '<defunct>' | sed -e 's/  /|/g' | grep -v '|||' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | tr '\n' ' '`"
- ZOMBIES="`ps -H -A | grep '<defunct>' | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | grep -v '|||' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | tr '\n' ' '`" #120103 karl godt: because i was getting a bunch of "killall no such process must be either pid or name" on the screen by the killzombies function.
+ #ZOMBIES="`ps -H -A | grep '<defunct>' | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | grep -v '|||' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | tr '\n' ' '`" #120103 karl godt: because i was getting a bunch of "killall no such process must be either pid or name" on the screen by the killzombies function.
+ ZOMBIES="`ps -H -A | grep '<defunct>' | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | sort -gr | tr '\n' ' '`" #120129 karl godt: improved, see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73122
  for ONEZOMBIE in $ZOMBIES
  do
   echo "Killing parentless zombie process $ONEZOMBIE"
   kill $ONEZOMBIE
  done
 }

Should I roll the zombie killing code back?
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:12    Post subject:  

jakfish wrote:
I'm trying out luki 021 on a Lenovo S10-3t netbook/tablet.

Looks like a great success (incredibly fast shut down, for starters), but before I get to all the good things, I'm having trouble with xorg.conf and the Lenovo touch screen.

I have a working xorg in dpup exprimo which allows initial calibration and touch screen driver setup (which is needed before using calibration tool):

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Synaptics Mouse" "AlwaysCore" #serverlayoutsynaptics
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "touchscreen" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evtouch"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event10"
Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
Option "MinX" "80"
Option "MinY" "80"
Option "MaxX" "4095"
Option "MaxY" "4095"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
#Option "MaxTapTime" "220"
#Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
#Option "moving_action" "down"
#Option "moving_button" "1"
#Option "maybetapped_action" "click"
#Option "maybetapped_button" "3"
# Option "longtouched_action" "click"
# Option "longtouched_button" "3"
# Option "touched_action" "click"
# Option "touched_button" "1"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
EndSection

I've put the above in xorg.conf and I don't believe xorg is reading it upon reboot or X restart.

I do the modprobe hid-multitouch, modprobe evdev in rc.local, and while those commands give me a touchscreen, I'm unable to get calibration or any other of the touch commands that an edited xorg should give me.

Jake

If you could, run Sysinfo from the System menu and post the results.
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:29    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
BTW where is the source? Barry's source for 0.10 and 0.12 does not compile (without "magic") in 021.

I've fixed retrovol in the repo.
retrovol-0.11.tar.gz
Description  I'm pretty sure this is unpatched. Compiled fine for me in 21.
gz

Download 
Filename  retrovol-0.11.tar.gz 
Filesize  204.9 KB 
Downloaded  76 Time(s) 
jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:30    Post subject:  

Thanks for your quick response, jemimah. Attached is the sysinfo.
sys-info-120429.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  sys-info-120429.gz 
Filesize  47.83 KB 
Downloaded  84 Time(s) 
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:07    Post subject:  

jakfish wrote:
Thanks for your quick response, jemimah. Attached is the sysinfo.

The reason it fails is that the evtouch driver is not there. I tried building it but it won't build against this version of xorg. I get the impression you are supposed to use the "evdev" driver instead. I'm not sure how different the syntax for evdev is.
jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:20    Post subject:  

Hi, jemimah,

Thanks again for a speedy response. Odd, I'm just trying to replicate my successful steps in dpup exprimo. Is Saluki using a different xorg than pemasu's dpups?

As for the evdev name, again, I was just following steps that I found from googling the S10-3t and Linux (especially the remastered snowpup and cando driver thread in the puppy forum).

Jake
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:26    Post subject:  

Saluki has Xorg 7.6 - Debian Squeeze is Xorg 7.5, I believe.

Recent versions of Ubuntu don't have the evtouch driver either.
jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:37    Post subject:  

In dpup exprimo, I find:

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evtouch_drv.so

Can we assume that is not anywhere in saluki? I wish I knew of an alternative driiver, but I'm too new to this touchscreen stuff.

Jake
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
This is good detective work.

Yes that has to be the conclusion if both rc.shutdown & rc.shutdown.pupdev are text files, and one works, but the other doesn't.

Quote:
The question is, why are we getting these reports now. It must be something that changed recently or it could be a coincidence I guess.

Looking down the thread a little, the comment 'shutdown is incredibly fast', which I notice using rc.shutdown.pupdev, and earlier comments about timing seem to be self-consistent.

Strange that a couple of pages back, myself and a couple of other (non-coding users?) were being branded as basket cases and labelled with inappropriate acronyms! As PD observes 'it goes with the territory'. One needs clever coders and a plethora of bog std. users to pick up these bizarre events. My earlier comments about not releasing to gold until polish was gleaming were never intended as a personal snub. Check my previous comments about our beloved instigator, even back as far as Pupeee and my personal accolades by way of nickname, we all think she's wonderful. Code writing and debugging is no different to any other branch of scientific research and development - painful, extended, sometimes subject to disbelief, even ridicule, but it generally all comes out smelling of roses in the fullness of time. Just need to keep going...
jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:39    Post subject:  

In dpup exprimo, I find:

Can we assume that is not anywhere in saluki? I wish I knew of an alternative driiver, but I'm too new to this touchscreen stuff.

Jake
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:47    Post subject:  

jakfish wrote:
In dpup exprimo, I find:

Jake

The alternative driver is evdev. The documentation is here:
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/man/man4/evdev.4.xhtml

It should be pretty similar.
Page 193 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: