Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#2861 Post by jemimah »

Karl Godt wrote:Reading the manpage of mingetty i found that it seems to need access to /var[/run/utmp] .

Seems that /var is by default

drwxr-xr-x and owned by root:root

i am not running Puppy in other USER mode than root ...
except few times to try to reproduce sound issues posted on the forum which seems to have been fixed by a udev rule to chown /dev directory ..
(i did it with /etc/init.d/alsa) ..
Remember that mingetty is not actually running if there is an open shell on tty1. It gets executed by init when the tty1 shell exits. Once mingetty opens a new shell, it exits. So its the shell that may or may not be getting killed - not mingetty.

If the new shell opens while /tmp/bootcnt.txt does not exist, then X starts - otherwise you get a prompt.

greengeek

Re: "saving to a file", or "saving to a partition"

#2862 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:Perhaps the Legacy button should be removed at this point?
I think that would be a good idea unless it is possible to work out why it is buggy. I guess people who are more experienced with usb installs would have already learned to ignore this option. Or does it apply to all "FULL" installs, not just non_save_to_file usb installs?
Sage wrote:Well done to the eagle-eyed drblock2!
Sage, which topic is his post in?

greengeek

Re: to reproduce the issue

#2863 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:So do i. i cannot reproduce it and still am not sure.
Are you referring to the looping back to desktop problem? If so, here is how I generated the problem repeatedly on my Acer netbook:
Boot Saluki 20 from CD, pfix=ram
Insert blank usb stick
Run universal installer and when it brings up Gparted create 3 partitions: part 1: Fat32 for data, part2: Ext2 "boot", part 3: swap. (no idea if this particular partition config has any effect or not)
Install to partition 2. Accept default mbr, wipe all files. Choose NOT to load files to ram at boot time.
Shutdown, remove CD drive.
Reboot, change to en_AU (two step process as you have to select standard en english first, then select en_AU from the next list that pops up, then allow restart of X. Then shutdown, then accept "legacy" save, and select the usb ext2 partition. (512Mb)
Wait long time till shutdown.

Future reboots/shutdowns should show the looping reboot problem. (although I have seen variable behaviour - sometimes it succeeds on the very first shutdown after locale config, then fails on later shutdowns. Test thoroughly)

EDITED Needed to clarify that this was my test with Saluki 20 only - I am just about to start testing with Saluki 21 next. Also clarified that my chosen locale was Australian english. Added the step to NOT copy files into ram at boot time.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 00:20, edited 2 times in total.

Karl Godt

#2864 Post by Karl Godt »

Just a short note about the shutdown problems :

1) It seems that it is an overall problem that should be discussed in a separate general thread .
2) I am responsible to some adjustments lately
and after looking inside the code i can only guess :

2a) regular sed depends on locale settings .. especially LC_ALL and as stated in the html of the source that might not compile because the devx might not include many text formatting binaries LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE

2aa) LC_COLLATE and LANG are defined in /etc/profile (login,*getty) and should get adjusted by the various Puppy locale setting scripts (chooselocale,firstrunwizard,...)

2ab) I don't actually have a mount output example for PUPMODE=6 (save to entire partition) .. it might be possible that the home partition gets unmounted or remounted read-only too early

2ac) busybox can be configured with locale(s) or utf-8 option(s) -> init,umount

2b) the killzombie function of rc.shutdown might catch a defunct process and might kill a process that should better not be killed ??? (ps -A -H in urxvt could reveal them before selecting a shutdown button in the menu)

2c) I have no idea about gettext and eval_gettext .. ??

2d) rc.shutown attempts to killall X (another time) .. ??

2e) the whole LAN mount things are unknown to me, so i don't know if bringing down the network attached to local routers could be responsible for anything (especially mounted puppy archive files (.sfs,.2fs) on network shares)

greengeek

#2865 Post by greengeek »

Just in case it helps to narrow down the problem I thought I would mention the following:

If I install Gray's Racy 5.2.2 NOP in the same way as I have been installing Saluki 20 I do not have any shutdown problems at all.

NOP 5.2.2 seems to use a different routine for specifying the locale - I can choose en_AU on the first stage - it does not require me to go to a second screen to select en_AU, Also, it does not offer the "Legacy" prompt to do the install to partition. I have now tried both the "save to file" and "save to partition" with NOP 5.2.2 and they both work fine.

EDITED have corrected spelling of aus locale to en_AU to reflect choice of Australian english.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 00:25, edited 5 times in total.

greengeek

#2866 Post by greengeek »

I would also like to mention another problem I am having with Saluki, as it might remotely be related to these shutdown issues (but probably not). Again, I have this problem with Saluki, but not with NOP 5.2.2 which is based on the same racy.

DISCLAIMER: this will sound a bit spooky-tunes. You will think I am going mad. Maybe I am. Anyway, here is my problem:

When I try to boot from the usb stick I have loaded Saluki onto (regardless of whether I selected "save to file" or "save to partition") the system will not boot on the first attempt. It will hang forever showing:

SYSLINUX 4.05 EDD 0x4f131b2f Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H Peter Anvin et al.

If I force a poweroff by holding the power button for 10 seconds, then power on again within 20 seconds, Saluki will boot up correctly. If I leave it longer than 20 seconds, the next power on will go back to the SYSLINUX prompt and hang there forever. (actually - it is not a prompt, it is just like the machine stopped in mid sentence)

I also notice that if I remove and reinsert the usb stick during the initial 20 seconds after a poweroff, it will not reboot - just goes to SYSLINUX message again. This suggests to me that perhaps my machine maintains some portion of usb power for approx 20 seconds after poweroff? And that this affects whether or not Saluki boots correctly.

Or maybe the netbook power management system has something that still exists in memory or BIOS for 20 seconds after a power off? I just don't know. Anyway, it is repeatable and happens every time, and I have tried reinstalling about 10 times on two (identical) usb sticks, and now a third, different, higher quality stick, without being able to get rid of the problem. NOP 5.2.2 does not show this behaviour.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 02:17, edited 2 times in total.

Karl Godt

#2867 Post by Karl Godt »

greengeek wrote:Just in case it helps to narrow down the problem I thought I would mention the following:

If I install Gray's Racy 5.2.2 NOP in the same way as I have been installing Saluki, I do not have any shutdown problems at all.

NOP 5.2.2 seems to use a different routine for specifying the locale - I can choose en_Aus on the first stage - it does not require me to go to a second screen to select en-Aus, Also, it does not offer the "Legacy" prompt ro do the install to partition. I have now tried both the "save to file" and "save to partition" with NOP 5.2.2 and they both work fine.
Just to be precise : I think you refer to en_AU because you are located in NZ (en_NZ) OR en_US ?

Could you please post the output of the

Code: Select all

locale

locale -a

locale -m
commands ?

Brown Mouse

#2868 Post by Brown Mouse »

greengeek wrote:
When I try to boot from the usb stick I have loaded Saluki onto (regardless of whether I selected "save to file" or "save to partition") the system will not boot on the first attempt. It will hang forever showing:

SYSLINUX 4.05 EDD 0x4f131b2f Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H Peter Anvin et al.
I see the same thing when booting Lucid 528-05 from an sdhc on my Acer Aspire one netbook.

Geoffrey

#2869 Post by Geoffrey »

Karl Godt wrote:(One note about thunar : Thunar uses a trash dir , so i was having problems deleting files larger than the remaining free space in the pupsave-file)
Yes, I've had that problem with a usb install also, if a file is deleted in /mnt/home then it creates /mnt/home/.Trash-0 which can not be emptied if there isn't sufficient free space,
this results in having to reformat the drive, I now don't delete files in /mnt/home :roll:
It might be an idea to be able to select a percentage of free space for the trash like that other OS.

Karl Godt

#2870 Post by Karl Godt »

Geoffrey wrote:
Karl Godt wrote:(One note about thunar : Thunar uses a trash dir , so i was having problems deleting files larger than the remaining free space in the pupsave-file)
Yes, I've had that problem with a usb install also, if a file is deleted in /mnt/home then it creates /mnt/home/.Trash-0 which can not be emptied if there isn't sufficient free space,
this results in having to reformat the drive, I now don't delete files in /mnt/home :roll:
It might be an idea to be able to select a percentage of free space for the trash like that other OS.
I finally opened a terminal in these trash directories and did a

rm *
rm .*
cd ..
rmdir *
rmdir .*
to solve this manually

greengeek

#2871 Post by greengeek »

Karl Godt wrote: Could you please post the output of the

locale

locale -a

locale -m
commands ?
Hi Karl, I have now edited my previous posts to clarify that I was selecting Australian English (ok I am in NZ but I figured that Puppy is an Aussie creation so was hoping I would have less problems by selecting their locale... :-) )

I have attached pics of the locale outputs (sorry I don't know how to save data from a terminal yet..
Attachments
locale_.jpg
(29.9 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times
locale _a_.jpg
(7.21 KiB) Downloaded 1280 times
locale _m_.jpg
(25.66 KiB) Downloaded 1245 times

Karl Godt

#2872 Post by Karl Godt »

Yep, greengeek looks pretty OK i think ...

I have absolutely no idea about the different en_EN differences, just had heard there are different scottish dialects in australia ..

and that the neccessary and necessary programms programs ..

If you are running on USB with save to entire partition, could you post the output of the

mount
command ?

(you could use the mouse left clicking holding the button and move the cursor over the output of the console, release the left button, and middle click to paste it into an empty sheet of an editor and do the same to copy from editor to the inputbox of the browser)

greengeek

#2873 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:Is it fixed in 21?
Version 21 gives me a slightly different result. It does not reboot into X, but just reverts to a command prompt after the saving process. However, I still have to do a hard shutdown to get out of this state.

greengeek

#2874 Post by greengeek »

Karl Godt wrote:If you are running on USB with save to entire partition, could you post the output of the

mount
command ?
OK, I have taken a shot of the mount command in the "fresh boot" state (first boot after hard reset) and also the "loop boot" state (when the shutdown procedure has auto rebooted in error).
(Sorry I couldn't do the middleclick trick till I get a mouse attached)
Attachments
mount fresh boot_.jpg
(54.08 KiB) Downloaded 1272 times
mount loop boot_.jpg
(44.13 KiB) Downloaded 1176 times

shinobar

debugging tool

#2875 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:Version 21 gives me a slightly different result. It does not reboot into X, but just reverts to a command prompt after the saving process. However, I still have to do a hard shutdown to get out of this state.
Yeah, I could reproduce your problem under the locale 'en_US' (left as the default). I think the locale does not affect.
I think your problem is the saving to the partition specific. Or, saving to the partition on the flash, that is PUPMODE=7. Maybe recent woof bug.
I suspect the shutdown problem occurs every PUPMODE, but with different appearance.

Attached the rc.shutdown for debugging for whom the shutdown problem concern. Install the PET. You are warned because it will replace the existing /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, but proceed. Shutdown or reboot. The console gives prompt with '?'. Press [Enter]-key to proceed.
As for the PUPMODE=7, greengeek's case,press [S]-key at only one place where you are offered to skip.
at shutdown wrote:Sakuji is now shutting down...
Saving ... ... Done.
Cleaning up some temporary files. OK?
Cleaning up some temporary files... Done.
Unmount stray filesystems?
Unmounting stray filesystems... Done.
Swapoff?
Swapoff... Done.
Kill bad PID's? ('s' for skip) s
Remount SAVE_LAYER?
Remounting SAVE_LAYER ...Done.
Umount ntfs?
All done. Goobye?
Attachments
firstrun-debug-shutdown-2.2.1.pet
For debugging. DO NOT use for usual use.
(19 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

respawn

#2876 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:The only reason it would restart X that I can think of, is if it's killing the shell (or logging off) on tty1. If that shell dies, mingetty will respawn it, and rerun /etc/profile.
Short exercise:
Go down to the console, type:

kill -KILL $$
Its killing myself. logging out and auto login.

rm -fr /tmp/*
kill -KILL $$
Coming back the desktop because the flag '/tmp/bootcnt.txt' was cleared.
Reasonable.

Test with the debugging tool:
Well, I reproduced the greengeek's case (USB flash install, save the session to the partition). Used the firstrun-debug-shutdown, and foud that the rc.shutdown kills its parent 'reboot'(or 'poweroff') and itself at the last stage. I don't know why, but maybe woof bug. It occurs PUPMODE=7 on saluki-21 but maybe all recent Puppies. I don't know about PUPMODE=6 (save the session in the internal HDD partition). I am not sure if it is related with PUPMODE=2 (Sage's case).
I also suspect that similar case can occur under PUPMODE=5 and/or under other cases, somewhere in the script rc.shutdown.

As for the position of deleting /tmp/*, as greengeek reported. it relates coming up the desktop or not when this happens.
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 23 May 2012, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#2877 Post by Sage »

Anyone interested in comparing a copy of rc.shutdown with rc.shutdown.pupdev ? Who instigated the latter? Is it self-generating? Although I do not follow the above detail concerning code, I did find what works and what does not work, at least for a FULL - seems that it must contain the audit trail for the coding fault?

shinobar

rc.shutdown.pupdev

#2878 Post by shinobar »

Sage wrote:Anyone interested in comparing a copy of rc.shutdown with rc.shutdown.pupdev ? Who instigated the latter?
The rc.shutdown.pupdev is a document text. It does nothing as a script. Nothing do results hard-shutdown in some meaning.
I am very interesting if you report the result of the firstrun-debug-shutdown-2.2.1.pet. We can see, by the test, where it fails.

shelezyaka

#2879 Post by shelezyaka »

Karl Godt wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
I finally opened a terminal in these trash directories and did a

rm *
rm .*
cd ..
rmdir *
rmdir .*
to solve this manually
In order not to clutter up the trash "rubbish", use the delete missing trash. The right mouse button (in the paragraph the cursor is positioned). Recover deleted in this case is impossible.
Attachments
SCR1.png
(60.19 KiB) Downloaded 623 times

Sage

#2880 Post by Sage »

The rc.shutdown.pupdev is a document text. It does nothing as a script. Nothing do results hard-shutdown in some meaning.
I am very interesting if you report the result of the firstrun-debug-shutdown-2.2.1.pet. We can see, by the test, where it fails.
As I explained, I don't do coding. I swapped rc.shutdown for rc.shutdown.pupdev and the shutdown failure/desktop looping stopped. If you tell me where to find firstrun-debug-shutdown-2.2.1.pet I will look for it, but presume I would have to invert the swap because shutdown works with the -.-.pupdev.

Yes, I double checked. It may be just a text file but swapping rc.shutdown with ditto.pupdev and back again reproducibly causes and rectifies the shutdown problem. No idea why, but it does. You're the expert, shino....