Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#2841 Post by Sage »

drblock2

Today, at 1:14 pm
Subject description: Shutdown delay Reply with quote
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-005 has a serious shutdown delay problem on my AMD Athlon 2400 (single processor), frugal installation. Fortunately, I was able to track down the source of the problem.
I have no idea whether this problem is related to the other shutdown problems discussed earlier in the forum. In any case, it does not occur in Wary 5.3 or Slack 5.3.2.7, which shut down normally on my machine. I seem to remember a similar delay with Puppy 4.3.1, but I never did find a solution back then.
As for rc.shutdown, attempt to open it crashed the entire edifice. Note that apart from rc.shutdown, also have ditto.orig, ditto.pot and ditto.pupdev present.
Will attempt to delete these with a liveSlackoCD and report back tomorrow.
Seems that shutdown issues are emerging all over the woodwork...

shinobar

Re: Good news/bad news.

#2842 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:My thought is to add

Code: Select all

export LANG=C
To the top of rc.shutdown. This should make the problem go away if it's related to localization somehow.
Maybe no. I was under 'en_US' locale at the test.
I suspect the nvidia driver, changing some libralies when the desktop is running. But not sure. :lol:

Sorry for the grub4dos in the menu. I was testing my new package of the grub4dos. But still i think the menu and the Control panel are confusing.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

jemimah

#2843 Post by jemimah »

Yes I change the desktop file for grub4dos so it shows up in the system menu - but not in the control panel.

Package managers show up in both the menu and the control panel because windows users will look for Add/Remove programs.

jemimah

#2844 Post by jemimah »

The only reason it would restart X that I can think of, is if it's killing the shell (or logging off) on tty1. If that shell dies, mingetty will respawn it, and rerun /etc/profile.

shinobar

exec vwin

#2845 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:The only reason it would restart X that I can think of, is if it's killing the shell (or logging off) on tty1. If that shell dies, mingetty will respawn it, and rerun /etc/profile.
Hum... Is it why Barry moved 'exec xwin' from /etc/profile to /root/.profile... :roll:
/root/.profile in recent woof wrote:#120221 moved this code here from /etc/profile, also take 'exec' prefix off call to xwin.
(snip)
#want to go straight into X on bootup only...
if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
#exec xwin
#xwin & #110804 110807
xwin
fi
Well... /tmp/bootcnt.txt can be ...
Last edited by shinobar on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 14:32, edited 3 times in total.

jemimah

#2846 Post by jemimah »

I don't think it makes any difference in this case. /root/.profile should be executed right after /etc/profile.

shinobar

respawn

#2847 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote: if it's killing the shell (or logging off) on tty1. If that shell dies, mingetty will respawn it, and rerun /etc/profile.
I am not sure when Barry changed the /etc/inittab, but it was somewhere between Puppy-4.x to 5.x.
Seeing his comment, he was aware of the X coming back problem in last summer, i guess.
If the mingetty will respawn the shell, the flag /tmp/bootcnt.txt can be deleted before. 8)

Karl Godt

#2848 Post by Karl Godt »

deleted in rc.shutdown .. in full installs .. or frugal pupmode 12 on HDD
also unmounted in rc.shutdown for frugals having /tmp mounted as tmpfs ..

Barry has done some code adjustments to rc.shutdown recently .

Is Saluki still based on racy woof 5.2(.x) ?

(One note about thunar : Thunar uses a trash dir , so i was having problems deleting files larger than the remaining free space in the pupsave-file)

shinobar

shutdown ... but reboot

#2849 Post by shinobar »

Same as before:
/root/.profile in recent woof wrote:#120221 moved this code here from /etc/profile, also take 'exec' prefix off call to xwin.
(snip)
#want to go straight into X on bootup only...
if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
#exec xwin
#xwin & #110804 110807
xwin
fi
Anothe Barry's comment:
rc.shutdown wrote:#110928 fixed, reboots when choose shutdown. very old bug, dates back to 2009.
(snip)
#120409 experimenting with minit, i discovered "rm -rf /tmp/*" is killing mingetty. initrd.gz wipes it, have added code to wipe for full hd install at bootup..
#rm -rf /tmp/*.

Sage

#2850 Post by Sage »

Managed to find a few moments this afternoon. Using a liveCD, I was able to rename the four options for rc.shutdown in my FULL. Reverting rc.shutdown to ditto.orig had no effect - looping back to desktop continued. Hit the jackpot with ditto.pupdev, though. at least three shutdowns worked as advertised. Where and why did rc.shutdown.pupdev come from?
Well done to the eagle-eyed drblock2!

jemimah

#2851 Post by jemimah »

Karl Godt wrote:
deleted in rc.shutdown .. in full installs .. or frugal pupmode 12 on HDD
also unmounted in rc.shutdown for frugals having /tmp mounted as tmpfs ..

Barry has done some code adjustments to rc.shutdown recently .

Is Saluki still based on racy woof 5.2(.x) ?

(One note about thunar : Thunar uses a trash dir , so i was having problems deleting files larger than the remaining free space in the pupsave-file)
Yes still based on 5.2. But rc.shutdown from pupsaveconfig is newer. I can roll back to the old pupsaveconfig or we can try to fix the newer rc.shutdown.

I had the occasional "session not saved" problem with the older pupsaveconfig - so it'd be nice if the new version could be made to work.

shinobar

rc.sysinit

#2852 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:I can roll back to the old pupsaveconfig or we can try to fix the newer rc.shutdown.
Problem is at the rc.sysinit.
/etc/rc.sysinit in recent woof wrote:if [ ! -d /initrd ];then #w468
busybox mount -o remount,rw /
#120409 no longer deleting /tmp/* in rc.shutdown... (note, init script in initrd.gz wipes it)
rm -rf /tmp/*
rm -rf /tmp/.[0-9a-zA-Z]*

echo 'PUPMODE=2' > /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
if [ "$ORIGLANG1" != "en" ];then #120217
echo "OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8
export OUTPUT_CHARSET" >> /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
fi
fi
. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE #variables created at bootup by init script in initrd.
No need to change the rc.shutdown, but the deletimg /tmp/* is required in the rc.sysinit.
Last edited by shinobar on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

Re: rc.sysinit

#2853 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
jemimah wrote:I can roll back to the old pupsaveconfig or we can try to fix the newer rc.shutdown.
Problem is at the rc.sysinit.
/etc/rc.sysinit in recent woof wrote:if [ ! -d /initrd ];then #w468
busybox mount -o remount,rw /
#120409 no longer deleting /tmp/* in rc.shutdown... (note, init script in initrd.gz wipes it)
rm -rf /tmp/*
rm -rf /tmp/.[0-9a-zA-Z]*
echo 'PUPMODE=2' > /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
if [ "$ORIGLANG1" != "en" ];then #120217
echo "OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8
export OUTPUT_CHARSET" >> /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
fi
fi
. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE #variables created at bootup by init script in initrd.
I can't sync with woof right now. Rolling back pupsaveconfig is a safer fix. Isn't the goal of pupsaveconfig to work with older versions of woof? If not, it would be good to put a note in the thread so devs to get the right version for their puplet.

shinobar

Re: rc.sysinit

#2854 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:Isn't the goal of pupsaveconfig to work with older versions of woof?
Yes, pupsaveconfig works with old wooof but also with the old woof bug.

If the finding of the moving 'rf -f /tmp*' from shutdown to the init is real solution, we are better to move. (but i am not quite sure what is the real cause.)

jemimah

#2855 Post by jemimah »

That one change is fine but I'm likely to introduce a lot of new problems by only partially syncing. I'm not convinced the rm -rf thing is the issue though. Having it in rc.shutdown worked fine in the past and should continue to work.

If I could reproduce the issue I could probably debug it.

shinobar

to reproduce the issue

#2856 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:If I could reproduce the issue I could probably debug it.
So do i. i cannot reproduce it and still am not sure.

l2ulinux

Saluki

#2857 Post by l2ulinux »

I have been using Saluki from the start. By doing a frugal install with only a few problems. Found that it was easier to delete the older install and make a total new one.
Only once did I have a problem with it not shutting down after a frugal install. All it did was boot back to the desktop and when I wanted to shut down it did with no problem.
Now I have it install on four system with each a different setup. No problem with any and love to use it.

Karl Godt

#2858 Post by Karl Godt »

Reading the manpage of mingetty i found that it seems to need access to /var[/run/utmp] .

Seems that /var is by default

drwxr-xr-x and owned by root:root

i am not running Puppy in other USER mode than root ...
except few times to try to reproduce sound issues posted on the forum which seems to have been fixed by a udev rule to chown /dev directory ..
(i did it with /etc/init.d/alsa) ..

mikeslr

Hulu Saluki flashplayer curiosity

#2859 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all;

This is not a vital post. Just reporting a curiosity.
I was exploring playdaz's latest iteration of Lupu, scrolling thru the pets I've stored for something else and noticed a Hulu pet I had forgotten I downloaded sometime ago. So I installed and started it in Lupu. I ran, but complained about being out of date: offering to "update." Figuring that could break something, I deleted the Hulu pet, but --then being in Lupu-- decided to download the current "ubuntu" version from ubuntu. That ran without a hitch.
Now, wondering if it would run in Saluki, I booted into Saluki 20, clicked install and then opened Hulu. It complained about being unable to locate Flash, offering the alternatives of your manually editing Hulu's config file (/.huludesktop), or downloading flash.
On that Saluki, I have installed firefox from Saluki's repo, Opera downloaded from Opera to /mnt/home and run via a hand-made pet which created a script in /my-applications/bin and a desktop file, and Google-Chrome-Stable.sfs from Saluki's repo. All played flash files. I had assumed that Opera was employing the same flashplayer.so as firefox, which from prior experience had been installed to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and Google-Chrome was using its own. Uncertain what downloading another flash-player would do to my system, I decided to edit /.huludesktop, opening it in geany.
Scrolling revealed a line, which at the time read “flash_location = (null). As I was uncertain that my memory was accurate regarding the location of the flash-player.so, I opened pfind and entered the argument “flash.

jemimah

#2860 Post by jemimah »

Flash is not installed unless you installed it from the ppm. If youtube works, it's because it's using html5 video.