Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

#2821 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:Does downgrading to the old pupsaveconfig fix it?
http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages ... -2.0.1.pet
Initially I thought this pet had not fixed my shutdown problem in Saluki 20, as the next shutdown automatically rebooted as before. However, after the next forced poweroff (power button held down for 10 seconds) the problem is gone (thank you!).

EDIT: No, my problem is back. Strangely, when it first came back, every second shutdown failed (which sounds a bit like shinobars problem...). But then it started rebooting on every shutdown again. This is totally weird. I wonder if there is some crazy thing to do with acpi and battery charge state or something.

Or maybe I didn't install the pet correctly.

When installing the pet, I was not 100% certain that I had done what was needed to do the install correctly. For instance, the installer told me that there would be an entry in the "setup" menu, which does not exist in Saluki (see pic). I tried going into the controlpanel, and found a pupsaveconfig routine, but when I ran it there only seemed to be one parameter to change (for delay between saves) and I changed it to 5mins but nothing initially seemed different.

I don't know if accessing this pupsave configurator was a necessary step or not.

I will also proceed with the other tests.
Attachments
pupsave setup.jpg
(20.8 KiB) Downloaded 1089 times

Geoffrey

#2822 Post by Geoffrey »

greengeek wrote:Can anybody tell me where I should find my pupsavefile please? I am used to frugal installs and finding the pupsavefile alongside the sfs files, but with Saluki I am trying a usb install for the first time and cannot find the pupsave at all.
It should be in /mnt/home/saluki directory if you did a default save, that's where mine is, I've never had a problem creating a save on usb.

jemimah

#2823 Post by jemimah »

greengeek wrote:
jemimah wrote:Does downgrading to the old pupsaveconfig fix it?
http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages ... -2.0.1.pet
Initially I thought this pet had not fixed my shutdown problem in Saluki 20, as the next shutdown automatically rebooted as before. However, after the next forced poweroff (power button held down for 10 seconds) the problem is gone (thank you!).

EDIT: No, my problem is back. Strangely, when it first came back, every second shutdown failed (which sounds a bit like shinobars problem...). But then it started rebooting on every shutdown again. This is totally weird. I wonder if there is some crazy thing to do with acpi and battery charge state or something.

Or maybe I didn't install the pet correctly.

When installing the pet, I was not 100% certain that I had done what was needed to do the install correctly. For instance, the installer told me that there would be an entry in the "setup" menu, which does not exist in Saluki (see pic). I tried going into the controlpanel, and found a pupsaveconfig routine, but when I ran it there only seemed to be one parameter to change (for delay between saves) and I changed it to 5mins but nothing initially seemed different.

I don't know if accessing this pupsave configurator was a necessary step or not.

I will also proceed with the other tests.
There would be no need to change any settings. I'm mainly interested to see if a problem was introduced into the shutdown script. So either it will right away after installing - or that's not the problem.

Also, try deleting your save file and starting over to see if the problem goes away.

jemimah

#2824 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:It appears that google-chrome-stable_12.0.742.112-r90304_i386.sfs is now giving a permissions error.

I have a previous version google-chrome-stable_12.0.742.112.sfs that I kept, this works ok no errors.
I have re-uploaded it from a copy I just tested. Please verify that it works now.

jemimah

#2825 Post by jemimah »

oliverjames wrote:Recent thread posts indicate degrees of unhappiness among the development team.

Please know that I and many others are hugely impressed by the skills you have, and the resulting Saluki OS.

The Saluki project interests me greatly combining my favourite XFCE with the innovative Puppy use of sfs file systems.
Setting up and administering such systems that are frugally installed is so much easier than anything else I've found.

Talking of Saluki, the wikka mission statement "Saluki is designed from the ground up for use as a base system for puplet developers. " could perhaps be amended to "Saluki is a version of the Puppy Linux OS that uses the XFCE desktop. In common with all versions, Saluki is designed from the ground up as a highly portable user-friendly system that incorporates a full complement of software for work and play. In addition Saluki is a powerful tool for use as a base system for puplet developers."

Personally my wish list for Saluki, or any Linux system, is that the issue of power consumption is mastered. When Linux manages battery lifetime better than Apple or MS, it will dominate. Of course this is already happening in the smartphone world.
I realise that Linux is the dominant OS in industrial sectors, running most mission critical systems.

It would also be very useful to have a change log for Distro updates, to know whether to use or not.

Oliverjames
I have forgotten my wikka password. Perhaps Lobster will make this change.

Saluki only does very basic power management at the moment. More can certainly be done but the problem is every machine has different hardware and there's not a suitable tool that provides a layer of abstraction. So the problem was easier when I was developing for the Eee only - but it's pretty difficult now.

The change log is in the first post - that's all the information I keep. At this point, you'll want to use the latest because I've had to update some core libs - in the future some repo packages may not work with older versions of Saluki.

I think 21 will be the stable release until the new xfce is debugged.

greengeek

#2826 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:I'm mainly interested to see if a problem was introduced into the shutdown script. So either it will right away after installing - or that's not the problem
Hi Jemimah, I know this sounds odd, but I do feel that the pet definitely changed things for the better, but not permanently. That sounds crazy, I realise, but something is going on with my machine that is oddly unstable and varying.
I keep seeing a variety of messages flash up during the shutdown procedure, but they are too quick to write down. They seem to relate to acpid clients. The messages seem to vary in ways I have not seen on my other puppy installs. Anyway,onto the next test.
Also, try deleting your save file and starting over to see if the problem goes away.
I have been struggling to locate my savefile. I finally understand why. (I hope you don't mind me explaining why, even though it is nothing to do with Saluki specifically, but rather the fact that this is the first time I have installed to usb). In other topics of this forum I have read that usb installs do not give you the choice of full or frugal. This proved to be the case when I installed Saluki to usb, but what I didn't realise is that the question about "saving to a file", or "saving to a partition" effectively creates either a full or frugal install anyway. I had chosen "save to partition" because I knew that I wanted to have only Saluki on the usb stick. The outcome of this was that there was no savefile - all the individual folders were spread across the partition. Now I have reinstalled, and chosen "save to file" and I see my savefile where I expect it.

Sorry this isn't helping identify the original issue very much, but I will have more clarity soon.

greengeek

#2827 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:Does it work if you pick US English for the locale?
Yes it does. I now have stable shutdown. (Thankyou again!) This time the issue is definitely gone. I left the language setting at the default EnUS (had previously been selecting Australian english) but still changed the timezone to match GMT+12. Everything is working well.

I will proceed to try Saluki21 with En Aus next.

EDIT Shinobar suspects that Locale was not the issue here. I may have changed 2 variables at once without realising it. At the same time as re-installing to change the locale, I may have changed from "save to partition" to "save to file". Further clarification to follow in later posts.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.

Geoffrey

#2828 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:It appears that google-chrome-stable_12.0.742.112-r90304_i386.sfs is now giving a permissions error.

I have a previous version google-chrome-stable_12.0.742.112.sfs that I kept, this works ok no errors.
I have re-uploaded it from a copy I just tested. Please verify that it works now.
Yes It now works, thanks.

greengeek

#2829 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:Does it work if you pick US English for the locale?
I have a bit more info to add to this now:

I have discovered that the problem with choosing locale only exists if I do a usb install where I choose to save my session to the partition. I do not have the problem when i select "save to file" during the first shutdown.

I have a bit more testing to do to finalise this, but I suspect that I will be able to choose the locale I want as long as I do not also choose the save to partition option

shinobar

"saving to a file", or "saving to a partition"

#2830 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:what I didn't realise is that the question about "saving to a file", or "saving to a partition"
You have used the legacy interface at the pupsaveconfig, i guess. The GUI of the pupsaveconfig never asks and does not support the "saving to a partition". I think it is buggy and troublesome.

How to do NOT:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62476
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

vtpup

#2831 Post by vtpup »

Just found Saluki and tried it for the first time. Very clean, very fast, and very good at automatically setting up wireless, sound, screen dimming, and other things that have been difficult in other 3.x kernels I've tried on this machine.

I remember having tough time learning to single click, use ROX, and master the frugal /mnt/home filesystem when I first started with puppy 3.01. Now all those things are second nature, so I'm having to unlearn again with Saluki! But happy to do it, because this distro seems unique and elegant, and interesting.

I do have a basic question -- I can't seem to delete /root/my-documents. I usually do that, and then substitute a symlink to /my-documents in /mnt/home. That way all of my frugal installs on one machine hit on the same my-documents folder which has all of, well, my documents.

Probably something in Saluki really obvious to do the same thing, and apologies if asking a dumb question here.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

Geoffrey

#2832 Post by Geoffrey »

vtpup wrote: I can't seem to delete /root/my-documents. I usually do that, and then substitute a symlink to /my-documents in /mnt/home.

To delete my-documents right-click the folder and use Permanently Remove... and to link the my-documents back, right-click and drag to /root, Link here

Sage

#2833 Post by Sage »

Good news/bad news.
I have a FULL of v20 upgraded to 21 on one HD that reliably (so far!) shows the shutdown failure/looping back to desktop every time. It also retains this weird behaviour when transferred to newer and older boards, ie it is HW independent.
If one of the respected gurus would care to give me an exact and detailed recipe, I'd be happy to extract and forward files they consider relevant. Hopefully this can help squash this troublesome bug once and for all. I'd prefer to do this ASAP as I will be formatting this drive soon.

oliverjames

Savefile update 020 to 021

#2834 Post by oliverjames »

I have been updating the save file by simply copying it to the folder containing the new Saluki system files.
Generally this has passed without problems. On the latest 021 version however this process worked on one machine (Aspire TimelineX i5) but not on another (Eeebox 1502).

Updating the Eeebox by converting the old savefile gave rise to extremely sluggish performance.

I tried another method, creating a new savefile and then copying certain config files across from the old, .mozilla for example.

Now the Eeebox runs perfectly.

Using the "lazy" option of letting the system upgrade the savefile doesn't seem to have had an impact on the Aspire laptop so I'm curious as to the recommended safe method.

Best regards,

Oliverjames

shinobar

Installers

#2835 Post by shinobar »

I was a bit confused in doing FULL install the Saluki for testing.
The Gparted and the Puppy universal installer are found in the menu under 'system', but the grub4dos is not there.
The grub4dos is under the Control Panel > 'system', but the Puppy universal installer is not there. :roll:

BYW, the FULL install of the Saluki-21 is working so far.

shinobar

Good news/bad news.

#2836 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:BYW, the FULL install of the Saluki-21 is working so far.
Good news/bad news. :lol:
Fresh install, installed nvidia driver from the sfs, a samml pet, post the report here with midori.
Second or third boot, shutdown failure/looping back to desktop every time. Need to hardware reset.

Reboot PC ... got 'shutting down' message ... comes back the desktop. The LAN was disconnected ... tried frisbie, but the NIC driver not found ... Go down to the console, typed 'poweroff' ... comes back desktop ... Hard reset by the power button.

EDIT:
Power on ... got console ... typed 'xwin' ... got desktop ... posted from the midori ... reboot PC ... this time the PC reboots normally :roll:

jemimah

Re: "saving to a file", or "saving to a partition"

#2837 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
greengeek wrote:what I didn't realise is that the question about "saving to a file", or "saving to a partition"
You have used the legacy interface at the pupsaveconfig, i guess. The GUI of the pupsaveconfig never asks and does not support the "saving to a partition". I think it is buggy and troublesome.

How to do NOT:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62476
Perhaps the Legacy button should be removed at this point?

jemimah

Re: Installers

#2838 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:I was a bit confused in doing FULL install the Saluki for testing.
The Gparted and the Puppy universal installer are found in the menu under 'system', but the grub4dos is not there.
The grub4dos is under the Control Panel > 'system', but the Puppy universal installer is not there. :roll:

BYW, the FULL install of the Saluki-21 is working so far.
Yours doesn't look like this?
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(40.37 KiB) Downloaded 579 times

jemimah

Re: Good news/bad news.

#2839 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
shinobar wrote:BYW, the FULL install of the Saluki-21 is working so far.
Good news/bad news. :lol:
Fresh install, installed nvidia driver from the sfs, a samml pet, post the report here with midori.
Second or third boot, shutdown failure/looping back to desktop every time. Need to hardware reset.

Reboot PC ... got 'shutting down' message ... comes back the desktop. The LAN was disconnected ... tried frisbie, but the NIC driver not found ... Go down to the console, typed 'poweroff' ... comes back desktop ... Hard reset by the power button.

EDIT:
Power on ... got console ... typed 'xwin' ... got desktop ... posted from the midori ... reboot PC ... this time the PC reboots normally :roll:
My thought is to add

Code: Select all

export LANG=C
To the top of rc.shutdown. This should make the problem go away if it's related to localization somehow.

jemimah

Re: Savefile update 020 to 021

#2840 Post by jemimah »

oliverjames wrote:I have been updating the save file by simply copying it to the folder containing the new Saluki system files.
Generally this has passed without problems. On the latest 021 version however this process worked on one machine (Aspire TimelineX i5) but not on another (Eeebox 1502).

Updating the Eeebox by converting the old savefile gave rise to extremely sluggish performance.

I tried another method, creating a new savefile and then copying certain config files across from the old, .mozilla for example.

Now the Eeebox runs perfectly.

Using the "lazy" option of letting the system upgrade the savefile doesn't seem to have had an impact on the Aspire laptop so I'm curious as to the recommended safe method.

Best regards,

Oliverjames
Upgrading the save file has always been like this. Most of the time it works - sometimes EPIC FAIL for no apparent reason.

Booting with pfix=purge may or may not fix a bad save file.

You can build a personal sfs with all the pets you normally install using the sfs builder. But this will not be able to overwrite any configuration settings that exist in the adrive or the pupsfs since extra sfses are mounted on the bottom of the union. But you could fix that by converting your personal sfs to a pet instead.

Maybe a pet-builder would be useful.