Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
cthisbear

#1721 Post by cthisbear »

Three-Headed Dog Version 5.2.8.005

I had a quick boot on the Dell Studio XPS.

No wireless....Broadcom b43.
Nothing shows at all.

Screen 1280 x 720

Sound....Nice and loud

Chris
Attachments
dell_report.gz
dell_report
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

Minnesota

Please fix Java support

#1722 Post by Minnesota »

My 2 cents:

Half request, half need.

Please fix java support for Base...or post a message when it is run as to what is necessary to activate it. I use a commercial "base", and would love to be able to finally have a full database in Puppy. I tested what I could. Seems to work better than older versions. I am sure a lot of folks will use this. The easier it is to use, the more folks will use it, I am sure. Thanks.

Above all THANKS for all the hard work on Puppy!

playdayz

#1723 Post by playdayz »

Half request, half need.

Please fix java support for Base...
Java is included in Lupu Plus Libre. This is kind of new so we are trying to figure out what config works best. AFAIK Java should work with Base in Lupu Plus Libre--maybe you can test. You can also add Java to Lupu Libre with shinobar's sfs http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 82&t=61287

If you add java to Lupu Libre you will need to go to Tools -> Options -> Java and enable it. I am thinking now that all Libre future versions should include java, refer to BigPup's findings above..
I believe I (and others with Intel Sandybridge 6 Series /c200 chips) could get sound in Lupu 5.2.8 if

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
Where is that please vtpup? Have you tested that?
jre-1.6.0.22.pet
I will make a pet out of shinboar's latest java sfs and put it in PPM--as soon as we figure out whether and how best to put the java executable in the path. It is preferred to use the sfs linked above.

rerwin

#1724 Post by rerwin »

cthisbear wrote:Three-Headed Dog Version 5.2.8.005

I had a quick boot on the Dell Studio XPS.

No wireless....Broadcom b43.
Nothing shows at all.
Chris,
Please reboot and you should see wireless as detected by b43. On the initial boot, the proprietary driver, wl, is used. If it generates an error message in the log, the subsequent boot should try b43. This assumes playdayz included my latest Broadcom components as in the other 005s. I have not checked on what he included in 3HD.
Richard

playdayz

#1725 Post by playdayz »

This assumes playdayz included my latest Broadcom components as in the other 005s. I have not checked on what he included in 3HD.
I don't think so. You will have to install the pet.

peebee

#1726 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:
This assumes playdayz included my latest Broadcom components as in the other 005s. I have not checked on what he included in 3HD.
I don't think so. You will have to install the pet.
Chris, Richard, Larry

I haven't made a Broadcom wl pet for 3HD k2.6.37 as of yet I'm afraid.....the pets are very kernel dependent unfortunately

So there isn't a pet for Chris to install - sorry.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#1727 Post by bigpup »

rerwin and others,

Talking about Broadcom B43 and problems.
Here is a poster that explains how it was fixed for him.
Different remedy for the problem.
Just wanted to make sure you had seen this.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77811
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Minnesota

Cofusion

#1728 Post by Minnesota »

Bit of confusion on my part?

This is what I was running. lucilibre-001.005.iso

It has the base, do I need to do something special to activate Java First? As running base from the menu indicated no java. Therefore no wizards, and other items do nor work. Basic base functions. I can generate tables etc.

Did I miss something?

gcmartin

Test 3 of your recent PUPs for JAVA includion

#1729 Post by gcmartin »

This is what I get trying to check for JAVA in the system when I booted ALL 3 "puppy" ISO versions you have recently made available to the community. MaybeI am missing some obvious step. If I have, please direct me appropriately.

I booted the ISO via Live media and via Netboots. Each time after FirstRUN, I open a terminal and get the following:

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# java
sh: java: command not found
sh-4.1# 
I mean no disrespect by asking this, so please don't think I don't appreciate the effort you're doing.

If JAVA is to be added to the Libre-systems, why is it being 'buried" in the libreoffice directory, versus, makeing it available to all subsystems? Is there some logic to this that I am missing? No other OS does this, so why is this behavior necessary in Puppy?
JAVA adds services to a system for applications to reference and use.

LibreOFfice is NOT the only application that would exist in a given system that will need or use JAVA. As such, shouldn't we, PUPPY community, be making this susbsystem accessible to all applications?
Further, if this is an oversight, what should be done to automatically make JAVA available system-wide

Here to help

Even though this is a temporary circumvention in an earlier post, it is that...a temporary circumvention. We should expect a correction for system-wide use even after a save-session and reboot, if possible.

Thanks for any understanding
Attachments
FirstRUN_lupu005-2.png
(131.18 KiB) Downloaded 3359 times

playdayz

#1730 Post by playdayz »

This is what I get trying to check for JAVA in the system when I booted ALL 3 "puppy" ISO versions you have recently made available to the community. MaybeI am missing some obvious step. If I have, please direct me appropriately.

I booted the ISO via Live media and via Netboots. Each time after FirstRUN, I open a terminal and get the following:
Code:
sh-4.1# java
sh-4.1#
Yes, the java executable is not in the path. I will insert it next time when I know if it is better to put a shell file in /usr/bin or add /usr/java... to the path. I was interested only in Libre Office and the browsers--I am unaware of requests to run particular java programs so I didn't think of it. Thanks.

shinobar

Re: Test 3 of your recent PUPs for JAVA includion

#1731 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:sh-4.1# java
I have reviewed the LupuPlusLibre-528.005-1.iso. There missing java environment stuff under /etc. This occurs when you load SFS and remaster. The remasterpup2 includes the files under /etc and /root which is installed by PET, but NOT from SFS. The encounter is to convert SFS to PET and install the PET, then remaster.

Attached the pet contains the java environment setting stuff under /etc. You need to reboot PC after installing the PET. Or, go down to the console, type 'exit', then 'xwin' to refresh the environment.

@jemimah, You need not convert the whole SFS to PET if you load the SFS plus install the PET attached.
EDIT: but still be better to convert the whole SFS because it leaves the record in the woof-installed-packages and under the builtin_files.
Attachments
java-fix-LPL5.2.8.005-1.pet
Boot the LupuPlusLibre-528.005, install the PET. Then, go down to the console, type 'exit', then 'xwin' to refresh the environment.
(691 Bytes) Downloaded 885 times
Last edited by shinobar on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 00:21, edited 4 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

playdayz

#1732 Post by playdayz »

Thank you shinobar for the explanation. I see what happened. I will make a new Lupu Plus Libre in a day or two.
shinobar wrote:
gcmartin wrote:sh-4.1# java
I have reviewed the LupuPlusLibre-528.005-1.iso. There missing java environment stuff under /etc. This occurs when you load SFS and remaster. The remasterpup2 includes the files under /etc and /root which is installed by PET, but NOT from SFS. The encounter is to convert SFS to PET and install the PET and then remaster.

vtpup

#1733 Post by vtpup »

playdayz wrote:
I believe I (and others with Intel Sandybridge 6 Series /c200 chips) could get sound in Lupu 5.2.8 if

Where is that please vtpup? Have you tested that?
I've come pretty close playdayz. Here's a record of what I've tried so far:

This whole troubleshooting procedure:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTl ... 3shjww9fwf

Highlights from that:

sh-4.1# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found...

sh-4.1# echo "Sound cards recognized by the system:"; lspci -nn | grep --color=none '\[04[80][13]\]'; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel modules: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel drivers in use: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done

Sound cards recognized by the system:
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA:
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:

sh-4.1# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found...
That pretty much showed that it was a driver problem, So then I tried checking the version of asound in 3 distros where my soundcard works, results here:

Lupu 528 -v5 sound does not work:

sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Racy 53 sound does work:

Sulu sound does work:

sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound/version
UPUP Precise sound does work:

Okay so then I went here for a script to upgrade asound drivers:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681577

And that went well up until compile time when the script complained that I didn't have complete kernel headers (even though I'd installed Devx, and kernel headers sfs.

So I got stuck there.

what do you think?
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

playdayz

#1734 Post by playdayz »

JRE 1.6.31-1

A pet of shinobar's java sfs, added to PPM. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 6.31-1.pet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefox-12-Lucid ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM

rerwin

#1735 Post by rerwin »

shinobar wrote:I have reviewed the LupuPlusLibre-528.005-1.iso. There missing java environment stuff under /etc. This occurs when you load SFS and remaster. The remasterpup2 includes the files under /etc and /root which is installed by PET, but NOT from SFS. The encounter is to convert SFS to PET and install the PET, then remaster.
To make things easier for the user doing the remastering, we might make it a standard procedure to include the /root/.packages/(SFS name).files file in the SFS file itself. Then remasterpup2 will use it. Maybe it would be as simple as making the PET first, installing the PET, copying the /root/.packages/(SFS name).files file into /root/.packages of the directory defining the SFS, then making the SFS file with the .files file included The actual .pet could then be uninstalled and .pet file discarded.
Richard

shinobar

#1736 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:we might make it a standard procedure to include the /root/.packages/(SFS name).files file in the SFS file itself.
Nice :P Thank you for the information.
It would be smart if the dir2sfs script does so. Or, have someone already made it?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rerwin

#1737 Post by rerwin »

shinobar wrote:It would be smart if the dir2sfs script does so. Or, have someone already made it?
In that case, the solution could be much simpler: Copy the code from whatever creates the .files file directly into dir2sfs, to make that file as part of the SFS process.
Richard

Sage

#1738 Post by Sage »

PD, shino,rerwin,mick:
I report this today on Saluki thread. Perhaps it will help you (even if it proves spurious in the event):
"Good news/bad news.
I have a FULL of v20 upgraded to 21 on one HD that reliably (so far!) shows the shutdown failure/looping back to desktop every time. It also retains this weird behaviour when transferred to newer and older boards, ie it is HW independent.
If one of the respected gurus would care to give me an exact and detailed recipe, I'd be happy to extract and forward files they consider relevant. Hopefully this can help squash this troublesome bug once and for all. I'd prefer to do this ASAP as I will be formatting this drive soon."

drblock2

#1739 Post by drblock2 »

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-005 has a serious shutdown delay problem on my AMD Athlon 2400 (single processor), frugal installation. Fortunately, I was able to track down the source of the problem.

With three external drives attached (residing on two different machines), shut down took 2 minutes 40 seconds! After manually unmounting the remote drives with Pnethood, shutdown took 12 seconds.

Of course, Pnethood takes a few seconds to rescan the network unless you leave it running in the background, but, if you have this problem, it will still save considerable time.

Alternatively, you can write a little shell script to unmount your drives, simply

#!/bin/sh 

umount <local mount point>
You will have to close all programs using the remote drive first.

I have no idea whether this problem is related to the other shutdown problems discussed earlier in the forum. In any case, it does not occur in Wary 5.3 or Slack 5.3.2.7, which shut down normally on my machine. I seem to remember a similar delay with Puppy 4.3.1, but I never did find a solution back then.

rerwin

Re: shutdown delay

#1740 Post by rerwin »

Comparing lupu528-005 to wary 5.3, I see that lupu does not contain the recent (2/20/2012) fix for network share unmounting. However, lupuplus does have that fix. For the non-plus lupus, please install patch-8 on page 105:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 542#620542
because that also contains the fix.
Richard