Bug saving wireless B43 config in 5.2.8r5

Please post any bugs you have found
chenfred

Bug saving wireless B43 config in 5.2.8r5

#1 Post by chenfred »

There are a lot of people have the problem of B43 wireless. I had this problem when I switch fro 5.2.5 to 5.2.8. I thought this problem has been fixed in 5.2.8 release 5. I tried yesterday. The problem is still there. I found the problem is not the driver. If I do not save back to the saved file when I power off, the problem will not happen. But if I saved to the file, the next time either the wireless needs to setup again or needs to do " modeprobe -r b43 and modprobe b43" again to make it work for the setup or do modprobe again for couple times in order to work. I believe the problem should be when save back to the saved file problem because I got one time it corrupt the saved file. I cannot boot it and I need to reinstall the puppy. I do not have the problem in 5.2.5. This problem only happen in 5.2.8. I hope this clue can let some one to fix 5.2.8 B43 problem.

chenfred

Update

#2 Post by chenfred »

This very easy to happen when I setup wireless with simple network setup. I use the network wizard to setup the wireless, the problem does not happen now.

rerwin

#3 Post by rerwin »

chenfred,
Have you tried the lupuplus version of 528? Or you could install "patch-8" on page 105 of the lupu528 thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 542#620542
It contains my work to clean up the Broadcom wifi (43xx) situation. In response to tempestuous' report that b43 sometimes starts too early, I inserted a 1-second delay in its being loaded. Just be aware that puppy may not detect the device at the first bootup. But it should then find it on the second bootup. If it is supported by the proprietary Broadcom driver, you will see it detected by module wl on the first bootup.

I would very much like to know if that solves your problem with the network wizard. Thanks.
Richard