no sound with new pc intel 6 series / C200 chipset

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
darkcity

#21 Post by darkcity »

Hi Pelo, do you have the intel 6 / C200 chipset?

---

I've browsed some ubuntu forums and it looks like the newer kernel definitely helps with this chipset - not sure why 5.25 would work though?

there's a big sound trouble shooting guide for Ubuntu - lots of stuff is obvious or not applicable to Puppy , but there may be some handy hints, see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTl ... edit?pli=1

I'm assuming that the aplay -l command returns no playback devices for the folk who have no sound?

mbiernat

#22 Post by mbiernat »

Puppy 528 version 005 is what I am using. I downloaded it the other day. I have had no problem with sound on Ubuntu just puppy for some reason.

Thank you for all the kind effort by the way.

vtpup

#23 Post by vtpup »

darkcity wrote:Hi Pelo, do you have the intel 6 / C200 chipset?

---

I've browsed some ubuntu forums and it looks like the newer kernel definitely helps with this chipset - not sure why 5.25 would work though?

there's a big sound trouble shooting guide for Ubuntu - lots of stuff is obvious or not applicable to Puppy , but there may be some handy hints, see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTl ... edit?pli=1

I'm assuming that the aplay -l command returns no playback devices for the folk who have no sound?
I did read that Ubuntu guide earlier when I was trying to get 5.28 to work -- had already used Ubuntu forum discussion to finally get the wireless working (required updating the ath9k driver module via compat)

I will try aplay -l in 528 on this machine as soon as I reboot to 528 (it will be a little while because I'm in the middle of an ISO download I don't want to interrupt)

But in the meantime, I can give you the results of aplay -l from Racy 53 (which I'm on now, and which does support this computer's sound)

it's:

Code: Select all

# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC271X Analog [ALC271X Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

vtpup

#24 Post by vtpup »

So far, Sound works in three 3.x kernel puppies:

Racy
Sulu
Upup Precise 5332

Wish it worked in Lupu 5.28 since it is mature and very well supported with software rather than a test puppy as the others are by comparison. I want a Puppy I can work in day-to-day.

Pelo

Sound with 528 on all computers

#25 Post by Pelo »

These distros 528 and 525 could have been fine, but what to do with a computer with no sound ?
I remember once having succeeded in repairing. But How ?

Is my english good ? I put these distros in trash ! Oldest were working better.

Try others ( Slacko, Dpup, Toutou, no problems, TeenPUp, etc...)

But LUCID, no ! I give up.

Bonne nuit. Pelo

Suite du film : Friday 6 AM Rock and Roll is back again, with a 520 save file and flash plugin installed , browser Iron
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

vtpup

#26 Post by vtpup »

well, looks like Upup Precise has just been abandoned today, and no one will support Sulu.

That leaves Racy.

I guess as more people find their old machines giving up the ghost (as mine have -- some after 12 years of hard use) more people will have to find solutions to the requirements of more recent hardware to keep Puppy Linux going. The 3.x kernel software will be the only option unless solutions are found for basic problems in 2.6.x kernel puppies, like upgrading sound or wireless modules to use newer hardware.

Many of us are not trying to be "cutting edge" in hardware, but simply buying low cost versions of what's available. A good laptop computer is now less than $350 new, with 4 gigs ram, and 320 Gb drive. That is for dual proc, and integrated sound and video, often Intel.

Working with machines like these will be an increasing need for Puppy, if it is to survive. These are everyday low end computers, now. Sound and wireless module upgrades would open up many older kernel puppies to these new machines, rather than restricting their users to experimental, frequently abandoned late kernel rewrites.

It's unfortunate that Puppy, once a relatively unified distro, which sought to adapt and adopt to both old and new hardware now has become a bunch of splinter distros with specialized concerns scattered resources, no unified vision, and an average lifetime of days to months.

It is understandable that no one person can shoulder the burden of maintaining and upgrading a distro for very long, it really does require a community and unified leadership, as well as a commitment to a particular vision.

Puplets have always been around, but they were offshoots of the main trunk of the tree. Now the tree is gone and there is just a bush of short-lived shoots to mark where it's been.

I suppose anybody can build a Puppy from Woof, now. Kinda like nailing pieces of framing lumber together into something that looks like a house.

But nothing you can live in without a couple years work installing stairs, windows, wiring, plumbing, roofing, heating, and everything else by hand. That is, making things work together as a home for the different requirements of a family, not just leaving it as a simple open framework. Providing support, solving problems, tracking and killing bugs, updating software and modules.

That work is all hand work, not Woof automation, and no one person can do it alone. Repeating that same amount of work across 10 different Woof builds dilutes the community so that no distro works adequately for the majority of users.

Instead we have suggestions when something doesn't work to "try distro x" as a solution. Maybe that works for one problem but creates others. Especially when the originator gets fed up with requests to solve too many problems for his or her available time, and calls it quits. Then where do you go?

vtpup

#27 Post by vtpup »

Back to the problem with audio
Let's try Ubuntu's troubleshooting procedure

sh-4.1# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found...

sh-4.1# echo "Sound cards recognized by the system:"; lspci -nn | grep --color=none '\[04[80][13]\]'; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel modules: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel drivers in use: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done

Sound cards recognized by the system:
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA:
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:

sh-4.1# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found...
okay, so now the Ubuntu user is supposed to:

usermod -aG `cat /etc/group | grep -e '^pulse:' -e '^audio:' -e '^pulse-access:' -e '^pulse-rt:' -e '^video:' | awk -F: '{print $1}' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's:,$::g'` `whoami`

but of course:

sh: usermod: command not found

vtpup

#28 Post by vtpup »

I have no idea what that command is supposed to do, but as a guess it is doing something with the user's account, and adding groups somehow related to pulse audio which is probably just something applicable to Ubuntu and not Puppy.

But if any coders happen to read this, please let me know what this does, whether I need to do something similar, etc.

bleh....

vtpup

#29 Post by vtpup »

Lupu 528 -v5 sound does not work:

sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Racy 53 sound does work:

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
Sulu sound does work:

sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound/version
UPUP Precise sound does work:

# cat /proc/asound/version

vtpup

#30 Post by vtpup »

Hmmmmm... :idea:

Pelo

Let them a chance to listen music

#31 Post by Pelo »

Hello! Now that i have slept and i am cool !
I am using lucid 520 at the moment :
Attachments
toutou.png
il est muet, french Puppy is deaf and dumb
(58.05 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 31 May 2016, 04:57, edited 2 times in total.

vtpup

#32 Post by vtpup »

Pelo, please run this in a terminal window and post the output:

echo "Sound cards recognized by the system:"; lspci -nn | grep --color=none '\[04[80][13]\]'; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel modules: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel drivers in use: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done 

ilanrab

#33 Post by ilanrab »

vtpup wrote:re. 5.25......5.28 Lucid caused problems with wirelesss (card unrecognized) as have all puppies I've tried prior to a 3.xkernel version. I doubt 5.25 will address the wireless problem, but I may try it out of curiosity to just check sound support. If it works it could point to the culprit in 5.28.
I ran into some wireless issues with 5.2.5. I was able to solve 99% of them by installing, and using Frisbee.
Now, every few days, the system loses the capability to find the wireless networks in the immediate area. A simple reboot solves that problem.
[b]ir[/b]

ilanrab

#34 Post by ilanrab »

darkcity wrote:It could be instructive to know what audio hardware is in the computers with no sound or disappearing sound.
if it is the same chipset as vtpup and mbiernat it might be worth them trying 5.25
:twisted:
Audio Adapters:
Dell Netbook: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
Dell Latitude D400 laptop: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4

I hope that helps.
Cheers,
[b]ir[/b]

vtpup

#35 Post by vtpup »

I believe that the so-called lupu 525 "fix" may be completely unrelated and irrelevant because it does not appear to apply to the sound chips referenced in the title of this forum thread.

People, if you do not have an Intel 6 series / C200 chipset, please do not post your own computer sound problems and/or solutions here. It is only confusing the issue.

The basic problem with these chips as I've just shown is that they are too new for older Asound drivers.

If you have older chips, what works for you will not work for these chips.

darkcity

#36 Post by darkcity »

Interesting that 5.28 still has ALSA 1.0.21 - is it possible to upgrade ALSA without upgrading the 2.6.33.2 kernel?

There are two more choices for Lucid type Puppies with newer kernels-

Polarpup 005 - kernel 2.6.39.3, ALSA 1.0.24 http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Polarpup

and

Threeheaded dog 5.29 - Kernel 2.6.37.6, ALSA 1.0.23 http://puppylinux.org/wikka/puppy529

:twisted:

vtpup

#37 Post by vtpup »

Darkcity, here is an Ubuntu script for upgrade of Asound:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681577

I ran it but got stuck at compile time when it complained that I didn't have full kernel headers.

However I had installed devx and kernel headers .sfs So I was stuck at that point -- not sure why it should error.

Tough to be so close, yet so far on Lupu 528. I've put my results on the lupu 528 thread.

Pelo

Medion P7624 Intel corp 6 chipset family

#38 Post by Pelo »

Lot of problems with LUCID Distros : sound does work at all or when it works, it is weak. The dog does not bark at start-up !

If that can help you, i join screenshots of what happen

I really hope you will find how to solve the problem.

Have a nice sunday. Pelo.
Attachments
528 est muet.png
Medion P7624 Lucid 528 spanish nite fluxbox. Works well on my old computer Acer Aspire 3000.
(55.92 KiB) Downloaded 635 times

vtpup

#39 Post by vtpup »

Pelo you are wasting your time if you don't answer questions asked of you here. You have failed to indicate what sound chips you have. You have not run the requested commands, nor posted the results.

If you are not using Intel 6 series /c200 sound chips, none of your complaints should be in this thread. Nor will you get any resolution for your problems here.

Smithy

#40 Post by Smithy »

darkcity,

The Three Headed Dog is on ALSA 1.0.24.2, I've been down there in etc modprobe more times than a fox down a rabbit hole!

It's the only alsa that is really "doing it" for usb audio.