Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mrokosz

Youtube problems

#201 Post by mrokosz »

Hi all,
If anybody is using slow outdated computer like P3 500 MHz with 256 MB RAM (max out) then will have problems with You tube video playback using Mozilla products or Chromium. There is a cure for it, installing Google Chrome browser (not Chromium) cause Chrome has flash player built in will work and You can view video on the You Tube. It apply to all so called lightweight OS-es, that usually people install on the outdated hardware to just to make a use of it. I am not sure if the limitation is processor speed or amount of RAM, but usually outdated hardware has a limitation of the RAM You can install. So I suggest if somebody is using old hardware switch to google chrome, but any hardware starting from netbooks will work fine.
mrokosz

mrokosz

software request

#202 Post by mrokosz »

Hi Pemasu,
I have request for You, thanks for creating repository by the way, could You compile, for Upup Precise of course, a few software packages that are very popular among linux users and add to Yours repo.
1. libreoffice sfs
2. skype pet
3. bleachbit
4. phyton

I installed lucid / lupu version they seems working OK, but compiled for Upup Precise will make me happy.

Michael Rokosz - mrokosz

mrokosz

autoconnect and default apps

#203 Post by mrokosz »

I can not set autoconnect to WPA protected network, each time I have to pick up profile I created, second I loading libreoffice.sfs at boot, but I can not assign libreoffice apps as the default. Is there any fix for it.
mrokosz

vtpup

Re: autoconnect and default apps

#204 Post by vtpup »

mrokosz wrote:I loading libreoffice.sfs at boot, but I can not assign libreoffice apps as the default. Is there any fix for it.
mrokosz
These are general questions, already often answered in the Puppty user sections.
Icons:
Go to where any standard desktop icon you want to change points, eg. write points to /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor which is also a link. Change that link to what you want, eg change defaultwordprocesssor's target action from:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec abiword "$@"
to

#!/bin/sh
exec swriter "$@"
To change from abiword to libre office (or open office) swriter.

For mimetypes (files) not already covered by defaut applications, eg. .xyz files:

1.)right click on a .xyz file
2.)choose set run action,
3.)drag the application you want to run it with into the window, or type its name into the text box below
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

peebee

New wlan% version of Broadcom-STA wl wifi driver for Precise

#205 Post by peebee »

Hi pemasu

[EDIT] 040612 pet attachment deleted - new All-In-One pet now available [/EDIT]

Here is a new version of the Broadcom-STA WL wifi driver for Precise Puppy.

It is the same as the previous version with just 2 changes:

1. now creates wlan% unstead of eth%

2. it is now specific to k3.3.2-upup and puts files directly into the correct place in the file structure

The previous edit to /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG is still required and is of course in the pinstall.sh of the pet:

grep -q ' ssb:wl ' etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG \
 || sed -i -e "s/^PREFLIST='[^']*/&ssb:wl /" etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG

Rerwin would have liked to update the driver detection mechanisms but I've reviewed and tested what he suggested and my view is that this is a further change down the line as there are too many residual lupu bits in what he has suggested.

I've tested the pet by both installing it onto precise 5.3.3.1 and as an update to 5.3.3.2

On both, it plays fine with both Frisbee and netwiz, but on both I have failed to get sns to work at all as sns gives dhcpcd errors with both the b43 and wl drivers when I try to setup a WPA connection.

The errors are:
STEP1c: ifconfig wlan0 down
STEP2: iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
STEP3: iwconfig wlan0 channel 1
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Network is down.
STEP4: iwconfig wlan0 essid "SamTheCat2Plus"
STEP5a: ifconfig wlan0 up
STEP5b: wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c"/etc/simple_network_setup/wpa_supplicant.conf-SamTheCat2Plus-00:21:00:C6:68:AA"
STEP6a: dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd[15029]: sending commands to master dhcpcd process

LAST 10 LINES of /var/log/messages:
Apr 26 12:32:14 puppypc32649 daemon.info dhcpcd[15201]: sending commands to master dhcpcd process
Apr 27 03:32:16 puppypc32649 daemon.info dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: broadcasting for a lease
Apr 27 03:32:16 puppypc32649 daemon.debug dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: sending DISCOVER (xid 0xa7672f36), next in 4.68 seconds
Apr 27 03:32:16 puppypc32649 daemon.err dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: send_raw_packet: Network is down
Apr 27 03:32:16 puppypc32649 daemon.debug dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason FAIL
Apr 27 03:32:20 puppypc32649 daemon.info dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: carrier lost
Apr 27 03:32:20 puppypc32649 daemon.debug dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason NOCARRIER
Apr 27 03:32:24 puppypc32649 daemon.info dhcpcd[11526]: control command: dhcpcd --release wlan0
Apr 27 03:32:24 puppypc32649 daemon.info dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: removing interface
Apr 27 03:32:24 puppypc32649 daemon.debug dhcpcd[11526]: wlan0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason STOP
My Broadcom device is supported by both wl and b43 and works correctly with both - what I haven't been able to test of course is what happens with a Broadcom chip that the wl driver doesn't support.

I have tested blacklisting the wl driver when a fallback to b43 happens correctly and in 5.3.3.1 uninstalling the pet when again a fallback to b43 happens correctly.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
sns-fail.png
(30.34 KiB) Downloaded 778 times
Last edited by peebee on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:21, edited 4 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

Broadcom driver brcmsmac not in 5.3.3.2

#206 Post by rerwin »

pemasu,
I understand that the new open-source Broadcom driver consists of at least 2 modules, brcmfmac and brcmsmac, plus at least one dependency (bcma). I see in 5.3.3.2 that only brcmfmac is present. Did you intentionally leave out brcmsmac?

As I recall, someone in the forum has a device that requires that module. Not sure whether it can use the proprietary wl module.

My interest is to ensure that I provide any preferences or workarounds for mediating conflicts among the various Broadcom wifi drivers (e.g., b43 & wl). There may not be any new issues to handle for the brcm*mac modules, But I cannot verify that until brcmsmac gets added. Thanks for any help with that.
Richard

pemasu

#207 Post by pemasu »

rerwin. If I remember right...there hasnt been before this bcma ie broadcom amba dependency for brcmsmac module. Now there is.

When I did enable bcma in some of kernel experiments....the ssb dependent b43 modules were non working.

I concluded that you cant have both ssb and bcma at the same time.

So....I didnt drop brcmsmac out intentionally....it wasnt selectable because I didnt have bcma enabled...as I have noticed earlier the problem with bcma enabling.

In previous 2.6.39.4 and all 3.1.x and 3.2.x kernels the bcma dependency has not been there....if i remember right.

this from kernel 3.2.14 kernel config:
CONFIG_BRCMUTIL=m
CONFIG_BRCMSMAC=m
CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=m
CONFIG_BCMA_POSSIBLE=y
#
# Broadcom specific AMBA
#
# CONFIG_BCMA is not set

and this from kernel 3.3.2 kernel config:
CONFIG_BRCMUTIL=m
CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=m
CONFIG_BCMA_POSSIBLE=y
#
# Broadcom specific AMBA
#
# CONFIG_BCMA is not set

As you can see the bcma not selected dropped the choice of brcmsmac out.

This has changed with this 3.3.2 kernel.

Now...I fear that if I select bcma....ssb dependent b43 modules wont work...as I have noticed with my dpup kernels before....

I think there are broadcom chips which works only with brcmsmac module...so it would be desired...I just would need new experimental kernel to test...but I am not sure if I have time build that puplet...see below.

I can compile the kernel easily and update it for others to test and build the puplet though.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#208 Post by pemasu »

This is notice of my next 6 months.

Firstly I have had discussions with 2 of my supervisors. Yeah...I have 2 independent bosses..one would have been enough...well..in fact in paper I have 3 bosses...but luckily the third one does not want to lead from from the distance...My station resides in countryside.

I will have 5-6 projects where I am assigned to lead them. And...I will have one university - county general practice harmonization project. All these starts in May. They include also designing work of specialization of certain professionals. I just got home from the learning session from the university town near by...19.00...and these long days will continue...

Next...to disturb my timetable more...I will go to the major surgery in june...due to rotator cuff rupture or my right shoulder. It will be operated and my right upper extremity will be immobilized with angle pillow 4 weeks and then I start to slowly get permission to add movements during 6 weeks.
Also I will have my normal day work duties before and after operation. This period lasts at least 6 months.

My boss wasnt pleased of my operation and he told me I should be back to work after 6 weeks period. The operator told me I will need vacation 10 weeks...so lets see....

My eldest daughter will graduate 2.6.2012 and I have to start to do arrangements for her celebration.

I have had hard thinking when Barry Kauler asked about the futute of Precise Pangolin based Puppy and when people showed that there would be interest of having it and also...that I could be a candidate of coordinating it.

I have continued to work...test...improve...and experiment with it. But this week conversations with my supervisors and all those other things above mentioned....means....I just dont have time for my Puppy Linux development. I would like to continue...but I just cant.....I wont have even time to woof build and sync woofs with Barrys commits. My time will go to studying....coordinating...reading....writing....and creating reports...and I will also be at least 4 weeks crippled so that I am afraid I cant use computer for writing...except with one hand....also the pain after operation can be severe. I know that some people has gotten pain bump home...

This is long statement...I have given this long mental processing until I now realized that I cant do all I want...I have to concentrate to those things I have to do....and give up for awhile...what I would like to do. This has been hard for me...to give up.

I wil start to update the pet_packages-upup repo so that my build is able to be created with woof...and anyone who wants to build and update the build can do that. I will upload the needed woof specs also. And I will upload the updated build so that pet_packages-repo is available from the puplet.

I wont be out Puppy community...I just cant be as active....starting from the beginning of May....continuing over the summer to autumn...couple of months maybe...not sure...because my supervisors werent that spesific...I have seen just preliminary plans.

Pemasu out.....
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 16:30, edited 2 times in total.

jim3630

#209 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:rerwin. If I remember right...there hasnt been before this bcma ie broadcom amba dependency for brcmsmac module. Now there is.

When I did enable bcma in some of kernel experiments....the ssb dependent b43 modules were non working.

I concluded that you cant have both ssb and bcma at the same time.

So....I didnt drop brcmsmac out intentionally....it wasnt selectable because I didnt have bcma enabled...as I have noticed earlier the problem with bcma enabling.

In previous 2.6.39.4 and all 3.1.x and 3.2.x kernels the bcma dependency has not been there....if i remember right.

t.
pemasu in those previous kernels my wifi would show on wlan0. in precise it comes up on eth1. my system has not changed so think it is something on your end.

glipper has returned to the task tray after some reboots. and opening up same programs running when precise freeze yesterday can not get it to freeze today.

i do not take that as a sign of improvement since no changes made here. while do not see any other reports of precise freezing up and my system has no history of such behavior hence an isolated incident of a probable unstable precise system.

peebee

#210 Post by peebee »

jim3630 wrote: pemasu in those previous kernels my wifi would show on wlan0. in precise it comes up on eth1. my system has not changed so think it is something on your end.
Hi jim3630

This is probably an indication that you are using the proprietary Broadcom wl driver which pemasu built-in to precise 5.3.3.2

You can confirm this by running lsmod in a terminal - if wl is there but not b43 then you are using the wl driver which creates eth1.

I've just posted a modified pet that changes the eth% device to wlan% to be consistent (we don't know why Broadcom chose to be different but it is quite an easy patch to change).

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jim3630

#211 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu

just read your post after posting mine. sorry to hear about your bosses, work, injury, family, that gets in the way of puppy. that was a joke. :)

family and health are priorities just not so sure about work...probable work as well is needed to provide for family and health. i spent my career as a private contractor so it was easy to walk away from one particular job.

take care take your rest and take care of business.

jim3630

#212 Post by jim3630 »

peebee wrote:
jim3630 wrote: pemasu in those previous kernels my wifi would show on wlan0. in precise it comes up on eth1. my system has not changed so think it is something on your end.
Hi jim3630

This is probably an indication that you are using the proprietary Broadcom wl driver which pemasu built-in to precise 5.3.3.2

You can confirm this by running lsmod in a terminal - if wl is there but not b43 then you are using the wl driver which creates eth1.

I've just posted a modified pet that changes the eth% device to wlan% to be consistent (we don't know why Broadcom chose to be different but it is quite an easy patch to change).

Cheers
peebee
hey peebee,

yes to both wl but not b43. pemasu used to in clude those new bcm.... drivers and i had wlan0.

if your interested i could apply your mod pet?
jim

pemasu

#213 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Peebee. I will update the broadcom wl module to the woof and I will upload it to the pet_packages-upup repo also.

I have started to create pet_packages-upup database file....

pemasu

#214 Post by pemasu »

About compiling latest evince...sure it is possible...I did test it and it compiled fine...but it needed a lot stuff...gtk-3 and framework for it and a lot other stuff. And the lookout of evince is ugly no working gtk outlook.

And when I installed all the needed stuff....I broke working puppy. The desktop drive icons dont work anymore...and what else is broken.

Mean while...I noticed that python2.6 is not in database anymore...there is python2.7 only now. So...I updated the distro pkgs specs accordingly.

Heh...not sure should I create new build with this wrecked Upup anymore...
I have updated the Precise Pangolin database files now....I suppose they should be updated again...because the packages seems to change still.....

mrokosz

#215 Post by mrokosz »

Hi Pemasu,
Thanks,
for all Your work, you created very good distro, everything I need works. I hope You get well and after recovery will get back with distro You created, but same was with Barry Kauler, he created very popular Lucid puppy and somebody else took over and he starts to do some other interesting distros puppy derivatives. So don't worry, I am sure somebody will take over Your job and continue, all distros have theirs funs. You did a great job, I hope somebody will follow ubuntu and update Upup Precise. By the way I like Ubuntu 12.04 very much and on capable computer I will be using it. But Ubuntu has lots of developers and distro like Yours relay only on one person.
Thanks again for the job You done.

mrokosz

PS. This is my entry for the Grub 2 file, unfortunately with frugal instalation I have to add it every time Grub 2 gets updated

menuentry 'Upup Precise 5.3.3.2 frugal with Linux 3.3.2' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 354d91a3-139a-47b6-943f-80f9c8c3807d
linux /precise5.3.3.2frugal/vmlinuz root=UUID=354d91a3-139a-47b6-943f-80f9c8c3807d pmedia=atahd
initrd /precise5.3.3.2frugal/initrd.gz
}

Minnesota

Sounds like a very busy summer

#216 Post by Minnesota »

Pemasu

Sounds like a very busy summer!

For what it is worth. You might give a shot at dictation software to help with your writing and reports.

I am impressed with the commercial package. Here in the states you can pick up the small package for around $39.00. Not convinced you need the expensive fancy packages.

Or... I now have a smartphone, and it has quite accurate dictation as well.

Thanks for all your hard work. I know it will be hard to completely stay away from Puppy... addictive.

:).

Have great summer, enjoy the graduation and do not work so hard it hurts! Get some vacation along the way. Life is to short. One or two or three bosses... well.... Still smell the roses. Been there, done that.... Family worth more!

pemasu

#217 Post by pemasu »

Thanks for heads up !

About dictation software and digital dictation machine. I have used dictation machines about 20 years. About first thing which I had to learn when I started clinic work. Lol. I use dictation machine all the time. But mostly I write my texts my self. I write every day tens of pages text. But when I do inspections to the companies...I have dictation machine with me...which I do listen and write to report.

I could also dictate at work...we have server which stores the dictatations and there are dedicated people in company....secretaries which type them...but....I am fast writer...havent used that service ever.

What I would like to have is...speech recognition and automatic typing software...but finnish language has proven to be hard for them and our specialized language with greek and latin words included makes it difficult for speech recognition software and hardware. I have followed the progress of them also...

About gsettings schemas problem....
When you install app from the precise repo, the launching might fail with error message:

(evince:28405): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.Evince.Default' is not installed
With debian and ubuntu there is somekind postinstallation recognition mechanism which launches script to enable the installed schemas. I found one working example:
#!/bin/sh
set -e

if [ "$1" = triggered ]; then
for trigger in $2; do
if ! [ -d $trigger ]; then
continue
fi
case $trigger in
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas)
# This is triggered everytime an application installs a
# GSettings schema
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas || true
;;

/usr/lib/gio/modules)
# This is triggered everytime an application installs a GIO
# module into /usr/lib/gio/modules
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
;;
esac
done
exit 0
fi

#DEBHELPER#

# Also handle the initial installation
if [ -d /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas ]; then
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas || true
fi
if [ -d /usr/lib/gio/modules ]; then
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
fi
Basically what you need is to run this command:

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
And the pet or deb included and installed schema...which usually is installed to the /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas....will be enabled and the app launches.

So...if the /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh would include the command to launch the external script with another or better schemas enabling command or script content....then the schemas problem would be resolved.

I tested it. I added the schemas-installer row to the end of installpkg.sh script and placed the above code to the /usr/bin as script and voila....evince launched.

Here is the pet which has that modified installpkg.sh and schemas-installer included. You can test it.
Of course Barry Kauler or other qualified coder should make this better. But you get the idea.
Attachments
schemas-installer-fix-0.0.1.pet
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

vtpup

#218 Post by vtpup »

Good luck, Pemasu!

Jim1911

#219 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Sorry to hear about your work and health problems. Great news about your daughter’s graduation. We will greatly miss you and your super contributions for the next few months.

Get your rest and tend to your priorities. Hopefully, we will see you back well and rested this fall.

Thanks again for sharing the results of your hard work with us.

Cheers,
Jim

vtpup

#220 Post by vtpup »

As I recall, there wasn't any solution to the GLX problem, so Upup Precise isn't going to be usable for me. Hate to say it because it had potential, but guess i'll delete it off the hard drive and focus on Racy. Unless Lupu in some form can run on this machine and access the sound chips. 528 v5 can't so far.

Of all Puppies in the last 6 years, only Racy now works with functioning sound, wireless and graphics on this new, inexpensive, relatively unremarkable (and fairly typical) low cost Acer/Intel laptop. Seems unfortunate for Puppy.