Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

#2801 Post by greengeek »

I have installed Saluki 20 to a usb stick on my one year old Acer netbook and when I attempt to shut down it goes through the savefile save, then reboots itself back to the desktop. (No problems with Racy NOP installed by same method, and no problems with WinXP on hard drive so I assume hware is ok)

Looking at some recent forum postings there are a variety of similar issues. My problem is reproducible so if anyone wants me to post any further info, or try specific alterations please advise.

greengeek

#2802 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote: The waste is that it takes so many hours, but then it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it
I maintain about 20 different PCs running different versions of Puppy for family and friends, and have found that once a particular version runs well I don't need to keep up with further changes.

Just because version x gets updated later to version z (for other good reasons...) does not negate the value of version x.

Did Michaelangelo discard his work in the Cistine chapel just because his later paintings were better? No.

Every version of Puppy is a work of art and most find a loving home somewhere. Even puppies that break a leg are cute and lovable. Eventually the bones heal and they sprint again.
:-)

JackWagon

#2803 Post by JackWagon »

jemimah wrote: makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.
It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?
YES, but this plant happens to be a beautiful flower that requires nurturing, like us and Sage.
Unfortunately, like us, it has a life expectancy also.

It appears saluki will have some long lasting impressions. :)

A bit sappy if I don't say so m'self. NPI

JW
Last edited by JackWagon on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

#2804 Post by elroy »

jemimah wrote:Whining, sarcasm, etc makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.

The waste is that it takes so many hours, but then it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it. It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?
To what end? I guess the same end you were looking to in the beginning. The first two paragraphs of the first post on this thread describes the goal. And you've been managing to succeed towards that direction. And very well, may I add. You've definitely made me a major fan of Saluki. I don't use any other distro: Windows, Puppy, or otherwise. You have new users interested in your Saluki; some have recently registered on the board because they're genuinely interested. And you have some stubborn longtime users (might be hundreds...possibly just one :) ) constantly trying to put a square peg into a round hole. I'd call that a pretty successful start to Saluki when you take into account that it isn't even an officially released distro.

Certainly the burden of being everything to everyone has to be taking a toll. But quitting isn't the answer. Taking a break certainly could help put air beneath your wings, though. So what if Saluki stays at beta 021 for a few weeks - would it really hurt anything in the long run? There'd be a couple of weeks worth of feedback when you return, and you may find your battery recharged. You may even have an epiphany. Some of us users may even start to figure it out :roll: I started to play guitar in ‘73. I find that putting it aside for a week or two actually improves my playing. Sometimes immersion helps, but sometimes stepping back helps just as much. It might be time to pace yourself - to throttle back a bit if you will. Besides, didn't someone once say that the fun is in the journey, not the destination? And with software, is there really ever a destination? We'd all be using CP/M, 86-DOS, DOS 1.0, or some other archaic operating system if there were any sort of destination to be had. Probably toggling switches to enter binary commands one at a time. Yuck!

I for one appreciate very much what you've put forth. And the advice you give. I would think it'd be a shame if you gave up on Saluki - but I wouldn't think less of you if you decided to take a break.

To what end? Watering the plant, that is? I guess its because it makes it beautiful. Watering gives it life.

jemimah

#2805 Post by jemimah »

Just to clarify - I am not thinking about quitting right now. I have a nihilistic, solipsistic streak that tortures me, but I try not to pay attention to it - lest I disappear in a puff of logic.

I think I have a an engagement at work next week so that will be a welcome change of pace. Bummer that it happens the same week the new xfce comes out.

On a more positive note, akash_rawal has written the necessary piece of code to make native thunar drive handling work. So we will have real desktop drive icons and a more intuitive drive interface in Thunar.

nooby

#2806 Post by nooby »

I am too naive and too optimistic many times.
I dl the Chrome fbrowser sfs for Saluki and
tried to get it going in Lupu. I guess they are
too different for that to work. It did not load.

I made a search for Chrome for Lupu but
maybe used wrong search word.

Hope it is okay to ask here?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jemimah

#2807 Post by jemimah »

greengeek wrote:I have installed Saluki 20 to a usb stick on my one year old Acer netbook and when I attempt to shut down it goes through the savefile save, then reboots itself back to the desktop. (No problems with Racy NOP installed by same method, and no problems with WinXP on hard drive so I assume hware is ok)

Looking at some recent forum postings there are a variety of similar issues. My problem is reproducible so if anyone wants me to post any further info, or try specific alterations please advise.
OK, two reports - maybe not just a fluke.

Is it fixed in 21? Does it work if you pick US English for the locale?

Does downgrading to the old pupsaveconfig fix it?
http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages ... -2.0.1.pet

shevan

#2808 Post by shevan »

nice desktop.

I am waiting for release

greengeek

#2809 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:Is it fixed in 21? Does it work if you pick US English for the locale?

Does downgrading to the old pupsaveconfig fix it?
]
Ok, I will investigate these things after work. First, a question: I tried to make a backup copy of my savefile so I can come back to a known set of circumstances during troubleshooting. The problem is - I can't find the savefile.

I look in home and see the three .sfs files, but not the .2fs file I expected. What am I doing wrong please? (This is my first time using usb stick installs)

Geoffrey

#2810 Post by Geoffrey »

greengeek wrote:a question: I tried to make a backup copy of my savefile so I can come back to a known set of circumstances during troubleshooting. The problem is - I can't find the savefile.

I look in home and see the three .sfs files, but not the .2fs file I expected. What am I doing wrong please? (This is my first time using usb stick installs)
I just tried adding another save as a backup by copying and renaming the save file which is located in the /mnt/home/saluki.
When I reboot it finds both save files and gives me the option to load:
0 none
1 lukisave.4fs
2 lukisave-bak.4fs

If I select either 1 or 2 neither are loaded, so it clean boots, this on a usb install, so it appears to have a problem,
this could also be related to a problem I have had when upgrading with a older save file where I get a kernel panic whether I opt to upgrade the save file or not.

scheck.r

#2811 Post by scheck.r »

Hi Jeminah,
I tested Saluki 020 on my laptop which has this:

Video Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1
oem: ATI CABO

I can provide the file sys-info if you need.
The desktop was slow, not very responsive, much less then on xubuntu 10.04.
I changed in the file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf the line
options radeon modeset=0
to
options radeon modeset=1

Now my desktop is more responsive, on pare with xubuntu. It's strange because on Xubuntu and on Lucid Puppy I had to do the reverse(set modeset=0), probably because of the newer kernel that has fixed kernel modesetting.

Saluki runs great and is very polished.

Thank you very much

EDIT: I retried with options radeon modeset=0
and it doesn't seem to change anything :?
So I would say, don't change anything
Last edited by scheck.r on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#2812 Post by Geoffrey »

It appears that google-chrome-stable_12.0.742.112-r90304_i386.sfs is now giving a permissions error.

I have a previous version google-chrome-stable_12.0.742.112.sfs that I kept, this works ok no errors.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(11.22 KiB) Downloaded 754 times

shinobar

Shutdown problem

#2813 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:when I attempt to shut down it goes through the savefile save, then reboots itself back to the desktop.
How does it if you try again the shutdown?

The first reboot/shutdown PC comes back to the desktop, but at next try it reboots or shuts down PC as expected. I mean you need not make the hard reset. Is it same as yours problem?
This problem i encountered frequently with recent puppies (slacko, wary, racy and etc.) maybe published last year and later.
No matter usb or internal hdd. It seems no problem if i try it without doing something after the first boot. It occurs after xorgwizard or something done, but i cannot find how to reproduce.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Sage

#2814 Post by Sage »

This problem i encountered frequently with recent puppies (slacko, wary, racy and etc.) maybe published last year and later.
.... It occurs after xorgwizard or something done, but i cannot find how to reproduce.
Yes, I have found it difficult to reproduce, too. I was unaware that other folks have been reporting the problem until it happened on Saluki v20 for me. Perhaps it would be helpful to have a (long?) list of folks previously highlighting when it occurs? That's six reports in the last two days! Certainly, I've found Wary & Racy to have become less reliable recently. Nothing to do with 'bad' d/l or 'bad' installs, nor otherwise rock solid HW.

Geoffrey

#2815 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:I have a nihilistic, solipsistic streak that tortures me, but I try not to pay attention to it - lest I disappear in a puff of logic.
I'm hearing you :wink:
I think I have a an engagement at work next week so that will be a welcome change of pace. Bummer that it happens the same week the new xfce comes out.
A breath of fresh air 8), don't worry xfce will be there when you get back.
On a more positive note, akash_rawal has written the necessary piece of code to make native thunar drive handling work. So we will have real desktop drive icons and a more intuitive drive interface in Thunar.
I've been following that, it will surely make a big difference, can't wait to see it in action :D

jim3630

#2816 Post by jim3630 »

Sage wrote:Nothing to do with 'bad' d/l or 'bad' installs, nor otherwise rock solid HW.
you change your story for one hour to the next. in another thread you reported

"did the Saluki 20 - 21 upgrade (FULL). Whatever that does, it overwrote the above grief and [so far!] it's shutting down to order!"

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 983#622983

greengeek

Re: Shutdown problem

#2817 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote: How does it if you try again the shutdown?
After the first shutdown and self-reboot the problem does not go away. I try to shutdown again, and it reboots again. And again, and again. Every time it will repeat the same behaviour. If I want to turn off I do a "shutdown to prompt", then hold the power button for 10 seconds till it turns off.

There is also another thing I have noticed: after the first shutdown the system reboots and the desktop looks normal, but frisbee does not try to connect. If I try to run the network connection tool it does not work because the system does not see the network interfaces anymore.

I will now try the tests that Jemimah suggested.

greengeek

#2818 Post by greengeek »

Can anybody tell me where I should find my pupsavefile please? I am used to frugal installs and finding the pupsavefile alongside the sfs files, but with Saluki I am trying a usb install for the first time and cannot find the pupsave at all.

oliverjames

#2819 Post by oliverjames »

Recent thread posts indicate degrees of unhappiness among the development team.

Please know that I and many others are hugely impressed by the skills you have, and the resulting Saluki OS.

The Saluki project interests me greatly combining my favourite XFCE with the innovative Puppy use of sfs file systems.
Setting up and administering such systems that are frugally installed is so much easier than anything else I've found.

Talking of Saluki, the wikka mission statement "Saluki is designed from the ground up for use as a base system for puplet developers. " could perhaps be amended to "Saluki is a version of the Puppy Linux OS that uses the XFCE desktop. In common with all versions, Saluki is designed from the ground up as a highly portable user-friendly system that incorporates a full complement of software for work and play. In addition Saluki is a powerful tool for use as a base system for puplet developers."

Personally my wish list for Saluki, or any Linux system, is that the issue of power consumption is mastered. When Linux manages battery lifetime better than Apple or MS, it will dominate. Of course this is already happening in the smartphone world.
I realise that Linux is the dominant OS in industrial sectors, running most mission critical systems.

It would also be very useful to have a change log for Distro updates, to know whether to use or not.

Oliverjames

shinobar

Re: Shutdown problem

#2820 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:After the first shutdown and self-reboot the problem does not go away. I try to shutdown again, and it reboots again. And again, and again. Every time it will repeat the same behaviour. If I want to turn off I do a "shutdown to prompt", then hold the power button for 10 seconds till it turns off.
Maybe different issue from what i encountered. My problem was i need to reboot/shutdown twice.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]