How to get the Intel Centrino wifi chipset to work?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Brian C

How to get the Intel Centrino wifi chipset to work?

#1 Post by Brian C »

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, and it has the Intel Centrino wifi chipset. I want to get wifi to work with Puppy, but tie wifi configuration software doesn't do it. I've heard of a wifi-beta program that might. Where can I get that? Or, where can I get the ndiswrapper packages for my chipset?

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy already contains ndiswrapper, but if you have a genuine "Centrino" wifi adaptor with the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 chipset then a better solution for you is the ipw2200 driver here -
http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/wireless/

dafydd

#3 Post by dafydd »

tempestuous wrote:Puppy already contains ndiswrapper, but if you have a genuine "Centrino" wifi adaptor with the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 chipset then a better solution for you is the ipw2200 driver here -
http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/wireless/
I've tried several times to get the Intel Pro 2200 working on Puppy. I've also tried ndiswrapper.

I'm a newbie so the instructions seem really long and then there have always been error messages (I've tried five times).

If I can get Puppy to work with wireless it will be the main Linux OS on my Sony Vaio. I've been using Ubuntu but just prefer Puppy's no nonensense fast feel.

Keep up the good work. Maybe in Puppy 2 I'll have wireless!

Dafydd

revdoug

#4 Post by revdoug »

in sunny south Florida

Windy

#5 Post by Windy »

Like the initial poster of this thread, I also have an Inspiron 6000, and I just got 2.02 seamonkey to boot from my SanDisk 512M USB key.

Now that I have a bootable system, I have the same goal as the original poster: I want to enable my Inspiron 6000's built-in Intel 2915 wfi adapter. It looks like all the previous 2200/2915 instructions in this forum are for Puppy 1.x releases, which would imply that if I want 2.02 wireless to work, I'll have to put together a development toolchain and build ipw2200 from scratch, which looks like a lot of work.

Before starting down that path, I'm wondering: have I overlooked some repository of drivers somewhere? Has someone else already put together a 2200/2915 tarball?

p.s. To everyone who's made puppy what it is today, I say: great job! So much functionality in such a tiny package!

Foucault

#6 Post by Foucault »

This might help:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=9595

If, like myself, you don't know what you're doing, you might benefit from some communication that went on in the backround between myself and the person who put the package together. Just ask.