Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 08:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 25 [373 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 14:02    Post subject:  

I have so far compiled only the kernel in it. I hope so also that the compiling environment works. Precise Pangolin presents this new symlinked /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu structure. I have noticed at least some symlinks gets confused and are broken after debs package installation. That is one thing to check if install more debs.
pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 14:43    Post subject:  

Iguleders new small suspend tool, frost.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=621778#621778
Quote:
# frost --help
Usage: frost [OPTION]...
Suspend the system, either to RAM or a swap partition.

Options:
-h Show this message and quit
-m Suspend to RAM
-d Suspend to disk

I compiled this in Upup Precise
frost-suspend-tool-and-xbindkeys-binding-0.0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  frost-suspend-tool-and-xbindkeys-binding-0.0.1.pet 
Filesize  3.59 KB 
Downloaded  204 Time(s) 

Last edited by pemasu on Sat 21 Apr 2012, 15:18; edited 1 time in total
pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 15:11    Post subject:  

I got Precise Pangolin ie Upup Precise own cups printing test page, seamonkey html page, pdf with epdfview, .doc with abiword.

Network printing is still ? because I cant test it.

So...I dont know if I should use that Slacko snmp backend or not. But I will create next version without any modification. I use this cups 1.5.2 next.

Well....the iso size grew up remarkably. I am afraid. But now not so much is missing...and maybe later...there will come slimmer sized cups or replacing cups...

But if this works...I can go on...
Tman

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 15:58    Post subject:  

This looks interesting Pemasu, but what's wrong with Exprimo? Does Upup Precise come with a newer toolchain for compiling newer apps?
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 16:08    Post subject:  

Not sure if you have these updates or not.
Something to consider.
Latest coreutils (v. 8-16, late March 2012)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77671

vtpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 16:16    Post subject:  

Now running UpupPrecise 5.3.3 w kernel 3.3.2 on new Acer Aspire 5349-2635 notebook.

Looks very good so far!

Sound and wireless work out of the box.

Not true of 2.6.x kernel puppies on this laptop.

Was looking to install Wine for some tests of difficult GLX dependent graphic software (CADs), but don't see Wine pet or sfs there. I know it's available in forum threads, but was surprised not to see it in repos.

Xbindkeys key bindings not working well -- volume keys don't work, and screen dimming keys are reversed, but do work, etc.

Also true of Racy.

pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 17:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
This looks interesting Pemasu, but what's wrong with Exprimo? Does Upup Precise come with a newer toolchain for compiling newer apps?

Nothing wrong with Dpup Exprimo...and will continue to work and update it.

It just is that you need new stimulus now and then. The same has been true with my other Puplets...Snow Puppy....Ice Puppy....Polarpup.

It just is that you need to test and experiment something new for awhile. See what Jemihah`s posted about her attention span. I have something common with her in that.

But Dpup I wont dismiss.

This is my test woof build what Barry Kauler started. I didnt want it go lose. I might upload my used packages so someone else could also continue from where I have got these builds.

I also believe that this build will give valuable data of new way how Debian and Ubuntu nowadays creates packages under /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu.

The same will be true with Debian Wheezy and I want to know how it affects....
Tman

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 17:14    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

It just is that you need to test and experiment something new for awhile. See what Jemihah`s posted about her attention span. I have something common with her in that.

Oh, I see. I get bored easily as well. The down side is that, I can't seem to focus my energy into a single task...I always have to be doing something else on the side.
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 18:12    Post subject:  

vtpup wrote:
but was surprised not to see it in repos.

the official Puppy repositories are restricted repositories for a small scope of applications, about constant since vers. 1.nn of Puppy!

but as the most packages are often longer usable with different Puppy's it is not a problem to find more packages in the forum or through the wiki pages about packages and additional software!

more

wine was a special difficult case: it was a very very long time terrible as each week did appear a new version of wine. and now, as a relatively better constance is reached, wine did grow to a littler monster with a lot of dependencies being more important as Puppy itself!

it is certainly not the main objective of Puppyists to develop somewhat to use instead Windows in the same form as Windows does!

I did defend years along on this forum the idea of a Winpup (only smallest Puppy core, a good Wine version on top, a selection of adequate small free Windows applications directly given with) but nobody did really have interest for it excepted teachers not finding all the stuff needed in a class room in Linux. Petihar, a French teatcher, did always add a good Wine package (in French!) with his first Puplets.
tubeguy

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 19:07    Post subject:  

Good to go so far. Aqualung, Gkrellm and Firefox installed. Very responsive! Very Happy
precise42112.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  precise42112.jpg 
Filesize  195.41 KB 
Downloaded  180 Time(s) 
precise42112600.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   29.7 KB
 Viewed   963 Time(s)

precise42112600.jpg

pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 19:13    Post subject:  

Upup Precise 5.3.3.1 with kernel 3.3.2 has been uploaded, in 27 minutes. I go to the bed now. Very Happy

It has still cups 1.5.2 but I have added more than 10 Mb of missing stuff. Probably I have something which is not obligatory but that we can throw away if this works. I get it printing test page and from apps.

Latest Xbindkeys has been compiled in Upup Precise, so at least simple apps and kernel can be compiled in it.

Xbindkeys-config is the tool in menu to edit with gui the .xbindeysrc.

Those reported missing libs in this thread have been hopefully all added.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrecise5331/

Kernel sources link in first post.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 19:51    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Network printing is still ? because I cant test it.So...I dont know if I should use that Slacko snmp backend or not. But I will create next version without any modification. I use this cups 1.5.2 next.

It still needs the Slacko snmp backend to detect a network printer.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 20:05    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
pemasu wrote:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/
Quote:
cups-1.3.11-1-w5c.pet 2011-Oct-26 17:36:28 1.3M
cups-1.3.11-2-w5c.pet 2011-Nov-01 04:35:06 1.1
cups-1.3.11-w5c.pet 2011-Sep-09 07:14:52 1.3M

There is 3 versions of 1.3.11 cups. Which one would be the one to test and use ?

I always install the one from here.

the -2 is the latest, use that. I use that numbering when I improve a package in some way. So, if I was to improve it yet again, it would become cups-1.3.11-3-w5c.pet.

You will find that I do that with all my PETs.

Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 20:31    Post subject:  Upup Precise 5.3.3.1 with kernel 3.3.2  

Hi pemasu,

Thank you for picking up Upup Precise, I’m looking forward to it’s further development and the pemasu enhancements including those of shinobar and radky.

It’s working well on my desktop, although I did experience some of the problems already reported for your initial version ie: Gnumeric and gparted. Your latest version does correct Gnumeric but gparted still reports an error.
    # gparted
    gparted: error while loading shared libraries: libatkmm-1.6.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    #

Cups 1.5.2 works fine for me. It recognizes my HP 5280 and installs without any problems. I’ll check it again on my laptop which connects to a HP printer connected via wireless network.t

EDIT: Cannot check printing, I cannot connect to the wifi network with my laptop. Booted fine but no network connection. Info below is from Exprimo.
=== NETWORK ===

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
VENDOR: 10ec DEVICE: 8136 KERNEL MODULE: r8169

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 21 Apr 2012, 23:03; edited 1 time in total
James C

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 22:21    Post subject:  

Been just a bit busy but....... 5.3.3.1 appears to be working fine here. Can confirm that GParted doesn't work.
Precise 5.3.3.1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   171.51 KB
 Viewed   893 Time(s)

Precise 5.3.3.1.png

Page 4 of 25 [373 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: