Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#41 Post by pemasu »

I have to admit that I feel getting working cups-gutenprint-ghostscript as a struggle not as intetesting challenge.

I have now tested cups 1.3.11 with woof but something is missing. There are wrong permissions and localhost:631 does not launch web administration. They work when you have the precise pangolin packages preinstalled, but....something is missing.

So....I am going to take another approach. What I do have. I have several woof platforms with working cups-gutenprint-ghostscript. From Lucid Puppy and Debian Squeeze packages. So....why dont I use woof as working cups factory.

I launched ./createpackages > cups with dpup woof and processed the packages and then created a pet from debian squeeze cups packages after processing in the packages-squeeze folder. Then I installed that cups-1.4.4.pet and voila...cups started to print...test page and real page.

I am going to give a go to this woof - cups - gutenprint - ghostscript - way next.

Ubuntu splits the printing stuff to tens of small packages. There is definitively something amiss in pkgs specs file. Hunting them down package to packgage is one possibility but not yet. Lets test woof cups factory.

peebee

Broadcom STA wl driver for precise k3.3.2

#42 Post by peebee »

Hi Pemasu

[EDIT] 040612 - attachment deleted - now superceded by All-In-One pet available here [/EDIT]

Here is the Broadcom STA wl driver compiled for precise k3.3.2-upup for anybody that wants to try it on Precise5.3.3

The only oddity I've noticed is that the Frisbee tray indicator is showing unconnected even though the connection is in fact in existence and working just fine.....

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
screenie.png
(147.1 KiB) Downloaded 1166 times
Last edited by peebee on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

#43 Post by rerwin »

oui wrote:As it starts fast and finds all main settings of my PC about himself I would be interesting to use it completely without save file!

Why: old puppy's under 1.1 did work so:

each day a fresh puppy. no change, no spy, no disturb :idea: :roll:

I would remaster it once after I will have adapted my settings, create a /root/,mozilla/seamonkey with different absolute non critic and not sensible entries, a link in /root to /mnt/home/f/my instead of /root/my-documents and would never save somewhat after that in /root as I can do it directly hitting on the link my-documents :idea: so

- I don't need some save file any more at all,
- have a system never changing in all details in the puppy file system
- have a system with highest confidentiality as no entry would stay in it after each shutdown, only the data I have entered intentionally manually before I did remaster!

To do it, I need a version without greeting at the begin of the session and without asking if I will save before shutting down!

What would be to do to avoid to start the greeting immediately after start and avoid the question if you want save before reboot or shutting down?
I believe that the capabilities you desire are already available in the latest version(s) of Lucid Pup, currently in the lupuplus version and lupu528-005 with the installation of patch-8. See my mention of it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 774#621774

If you can, please try one of those puppies. To use the boot-disk option in the remasterer, simply remove the /tmp/root and /tmp/etc directories and copy the entire /root and /etc directories into the /tmp version of those directories, each at the point where you can modify those /tmp directories. Once you have tried that function, please report your experience and suggestions in that thread. Thanks for requesting the feature. It encourages me toward making it an official option for all puppies.
Richard

pemasu

#44 Post by pemasu »

Thanks rerwin of declaration and thanks Peebee of broadcom wl driver for troublesome broadcom chips. I will definitively include it to the next version...when I have got some working solution with cups.

rcrsn51

#45 Post by rcrsn51 »

pemasu wrote:when I have got some working solution with cups.
BTW, I tried to compile CUPS 1.5 in Precise and got nowhere. I hope that this not a sign of general problems with compiling.

pemasu

#46 Post by pemasu »

I have so far compiled only the kernel in it. I hope so also that the compiling environment works. Precise Pangolin presents this new symlinked /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu structure. I have noticed at least some symlinks gets confused and are broken after debs package installation. That is one thing to check if install more debs.

pemasu

#47 Post by pemasu »

Iguleders new small suspend tool, frost.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 778#621778
# frost --help
Usage: frost [OPTION]...
Suspend the system, either to RAM or a swap partition.

Options:
-h Show this message and quit
-m Suspend to RAM
-d Suspend to disk
I compiled this in Upup Precise
Attachments
frost-suspend-tool-and-xbindkeys-binding-0.0.1.pet
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 21 Apr 2012, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#48 Post by pemasu »

I got Precise Pangolin ie Upup Precise own cups printing test page, seamonkey html page, pdf with epdfview, .doc with abiword.

Network printing is still ? because I cant test it.

So...I dont know if I should use that Slacko snmp backend or not. But I will create next version without any modification. I use this cups 1.5.2 next.

Well....the iso size grew up remarkably. I am afraid. But now not so much is missing...and maybe later...there will come slimmer sized cups or replacing cups...

But if this works...I can go on...

Tman

#49 Post by Tman »

This looks interesting Pemasu, but what's wrong with Exprimo? Does Upup Precise come with a newer toolchain for compiling newer apps?

bigpup

#50 Post by bigpup »

Not sure if you have these updates or not.
Something to consider.
Latest coreutils (v. 8-16, late March 2012)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77671
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

vtpup

#51 Post by vtpup »

Now running UpupPrecise 5.3.3 w kernel 3.3.2 on new Acer Aspire 5349-2635 notebook.

Looks very good so far!

Sound and wireless work out of the box.

Not true of 2.6.x kernel puppies on this laptop.

Was looking to install Wine for some tests of difficult GLX dependent graphic software (CADs), but don't see Wine pet or sfs there. I know it's available in forum threads, but was surprised not to see it in repos.

Xbindkeys key bindings not working well -- volume keys don't work, and screen dimming keys are reversed, but do work, etc.

Also true of Racy.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

pemasu

#52 Post by pemasu »

This looks interesting Pemasu, but what's wrong with Exprimo? Does Upup Precise come with a newer toolchain for compiling newer apps?
Nothing wrong with Dpup Exprimo...and will continue to work and update it.

It just is that you need new stimulus now and then. The same has been true with my other Puplets...Snow Puppy....Ice Puppy....Polarpup.

It just is that you need to test and experiment something new for awhile. See what Jemihah`s posted about her attention span. I have something common with her in that.

But Dpup I wont dismiss.

This is my test woof build what Barry Kauler started. I didnt want it go lose. I might upload my used packages so someone else could also continue from where I have got these builds.

I also believe that this build will give valuable data of new way how Debian and Ubuntu nowadays creates packages under /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu.

The same will be true with Debian Wheezy and I want to know how it affects....

Tman

#53 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote: It just is that you need to test and experiment something new for awhile. See what Jemihah`s posted about her attention span. I have something common with her in that.
Oh, I see. I get bored easily as well. The down side is that, I can't seem to focus my energy into a single task...I always have to be doing something else on the side.

oui

#54 Post by oui »

vtpup wrote:but was surprised not to see it in repos.
the official Puppy repositories are restricted repositories for a small scope of applications, about constant since vers. 1.nn of Puppy!

but as the most packages are often longer usable with different Puppy's it is not a problem to find more packages in the forum or through the wiki pages about packages and additional software!

more

wine was a special difficult case: it was a very very long time terrible as each week did appear a new version of wine. and now, as a relatively better constance is reached, wine did grow to a littler monster with a lot of dependencies being more important as Puppy itself!

it is certainly not the main objective of Puppyists to develop somewhat to use instead Windows in the same form as Windows does!

I did defend years along on this forum the idea of a Winpup (only smallest Puppy core, a good Wine version on top, a selection of adequate small free Windows applications directly given with) but nobody did really have interest for it excepted teachers not finding all the stuff needed in a class room in Linux. Petihar, a French teatcher, did always add a good Wine package (in French!) with his first Puplets.

tubeguy

#55 Post by tubeguy »

Good to go so far. Aqualung, Gkrellm and Firefox installed. Very responsive! :D
Attachments
precise42112600.jpg
(29.7 KiB) Downloaded 1081 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

pemasu

#56 Post by pemasu »

Upup Precise 5.3.3.1 with kernel 3.3.2 has been uploaded, in 27 minutes. I go to the bed now. :D

It has still cups 1.5.2 but I have added more than 10 Mb of missing stuff. Probably I have something which is not obligatory but that we can throw away if this works. I get it printing test page and from apps.

Latest Xbindkeys has been compiled in Upup Precise, so at least simple apps and kernel can be compiled in it.

Xbindkeys-config is the tool in menu to edit with gui the .xbindeysrc.

Those reported missing libs in this thread have been hopefully all added.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrecise5331/

Kernel sources link in first post.

rcrsn51

#57 Post by rcrsn51 »

pemasu wrote:Network printing is still ? because I cant test it.So...I dont know if I should use that Slacko snmp backend or not. But I will create next version without any modification. I use this cups 1.5.2 next.
It still needs the Slacko snmp backend to detect a network printer.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#58 Post by BarryK »

rcrsn51 wrote:
pemasu wrote:http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/
cups-1.3.11-1-w5c.pet 2011-Oct-26 17:36:28 1.3M
cups-1.3.11-2-w5c.pet 2011-Nov-01 04:35:06 1.1
cups-1.3.11-w5c.pet 2011-Sep-09 07:14:52 1.3M
There is 3 versions of 1.3.11 cups. Which one would be the one to test and use ?
I always install the one from here.
the -2 is the latest, use that. I use that numbering when I improve a package in some way. So, if I was to improve it yet again, it would become cups-1.3.11-3-w5c.pet.

You will find that I do that with all my PETs.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Jim1911

Upup Precise 5.3.3.1 with kernel 3.3.2

#59 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Thank you for picking up Upup Precise, I’m looking forward to it’s further development and the pemasu enhancements including those of shinobar and radky.

It’s working well on my desktop, although I did experience some of the problems already reported for your initial version ie: Gnumeric and gparted. Your latest version does correct Gnumeric but gparted still reports an error.
  • # gparted
    gparted: error while loading shared libraries: libatkmm-1.6.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    #
Cups 1.5.2 works fine for me. It recognizes my HP 5280 and installs without any problems. I’ll check it again on my laptop which connects to a HP printer connected via wireless network.t

EDIT: Cannot check printing, I cannot connect to the wifi network with my laptop. Booted fine but no network connection. Info below is from Exprimo.
=== NETWORK ===

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
VENDOR: 10ec DEVICE: 8136 KERNEL MODULE: r8169

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#60 Post by James C »

Been just a bit busy but....... 5.3.3.1 appears to be working fine here. Can confirm that GParted doesn't work.
Attachments
Precise 5.3.3.1.png
(171.51 KiB) Downloaded 987 times