Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 19:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 111 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2012, 19:23    Post_subject:  

Concerning Sulu (Lucid with the 3.x kernel) rerwin said something interesting to me--that it would make more sense to put the energy into Precise because not only the kernel but everything else would be updated and development could be done to make it more Lucid-like if desired. So check this out: uPup Precise with 3.3.2 kernel http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77697
vtpup

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2012, 22:04    Post_subject:  

Cool, I'll try it!

Acer Iconia A1-830 x86 tablet -- Puppy some day?
aarf

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2012, 22:40    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Concerning Sulu (Lucid with the 3.x kernel) rerwin said something interesting to me--that it would make more sense to put the energy into Precise because not only the kernel but everything else would be updated and development could be done to make it more Lucid-like if desired. So check this out: uPup Precise with 3.3.2 kernel http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77697
are you going to tweak it separately playdayz or are you joining pemasu over there? ok start download now.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2012, 23:14    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:

If you plan to combine forces with pemasu and make this the next logical path, for Lucid Puppy, it would be very good idea.
But, it needs to start with all the features of Lucid Puppy already there. After that, just tweaking to fix bugs.
The way "uPup Precise" is now, is just another from scratch build, with a lot of stuff missing or not working.
If I understood, Barry just put it together to try out something. So was not doing a complete build.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 00:03    Post_subject:  

Something to show what Linux and Puppy is all about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=8LAXg_UmzTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkFQVcl62qo&feature=relmfu

radky

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:46    Post_subject:
Sub_title: PupMenu-2.0

PupMenu-2.0

This major update features a new dual-pane interface and convenient file finder.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76713
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:30    Post_subject: Lupu-to-Upup strategy, mainlining boot-disk remastering  

bigpup wrote:
If you plan to combine forces with pemasu and make this the next logical path, for Lucid Puppy, it would be very good idea.
But, it needs to start with all the features of Lucid Puppy already there. After that, just tweaking to fix bugs.
My idea for precise puppy (or whatever it ends up being named) is to package the unique lupu features as installable pets or built into woof. I am open to suggestions for organizing the packages.

Some parts might be the control center(s) and maybe boot-to-desktop if feasible. Please identify the features to preserve.

One thing I am considering is to make Lucid Pup's remastering of "boot disks" a visible feature. To do that, I would like input from those using the hidden capability in lupuplus and patch-8 to make these disks, particularly about anything more that should be done for that process such as clear out some directories like browser caches. There seems to be some interest in having this be generally available:
oui, in the Upup Precise thread, wrote:
As it starts fast and finds all main settings of my PC about himself I would be interesting to use it completely without save file!

Why: old puppy's under 1.1 did work so:

each day a fresh puppy. no change, no spy, no disturb Idea Rolling Eyes

I would remaster it once after I will have adapted my settings, create a /root/,mozilla/seamonkey with different absolute non critic and not sensible entries, a link in /root to /mnt/home/f/my instead of /root/my-documents and would never save somewhat after that in /root as I can do it directly hitting on the link my-documents Idea so

- I don't need some save file any more at all,
- have a system never changing in all details in the puppy file system
- have a system with highest confidentiality as no entry would stay in it after each shutdown, only the data I have entered intentionally manually before I did remaster!

To do it, I need a version without greeting at the begin of the session and without asking if I will save before shutting down!

What would be to do to avoid to start the greeting immediately after start and avoid the question if you want save before reboot or shutting down?
from: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=621529#621529
I would prepare an update to submit for woof, as part of the lupu features to go there.
Richard

Edited_time_total
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:54    Post_subject:  

Quote:
If you plan to combine forces with pemasu and make this the next logical path,

No, not me, it's pemasu's thing and whoever wants to participate. rerwin already has ideas.

Edited_time_total
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 16:11    Post_subject:  

Something to consider using in next update.
Latest coreutils (v. 8-16, late March 2012)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77671

playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 20:21    Post_subject:  

PupMenu 2.0

I thought radky had announced it in this thread but I can't find it. Anyway, it's cool--fun to just play with, provides a lot of information, and will appear in the upcoming Lupu Plus. Duh, the 4th message above this one Wink

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76713
prehistoric

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 15:25    Post_subject:
Sub_title: alternate browser problems

I've had good luck installing 5.28.005 on a number of machines. However, a request for Chromium as browser on one machine got me into trouble. This caused me to try several alternate browsers. Here are some results:

aurora - shows up in PPM as arora; information button leads to wikipedia page unrelated to any browser.

chrome - On this one machine I can't seem to run any derivative of chromium, Google-chrome or Iron. In the case of the oldest version this is explained by an attempt to "exec chrome-linux" which does not exist.

Later versions seem to fail immediately, reporting "Illegal instruction" when run from a console.

Opera - PPM reports missing shared libraries, but the browser comes up. I haven't done much testing of it though.

The machine giving me trouble has an ASUS A7S8X-MX motherboard with an Athlon-XP 2500+, and 2GB of RAM. I've tried the integrated SiS 741 graphics and two different nVidia AGP cards. The graphics seems to work each way. I've run memtest86+ 4.20 through a full pass, taking an hour and 15 mins, without errors.

I do not have trouble on machines with the Intel Pentium 4, Atom or Celeron, or the AMD Athlon 64, Athlon II, Phenom, Phenom II. Everything except these browsers seems to work, with the exception of CPU frequency scaling (BIOS older than 2007). When I stress the processor I can get the temperature up to 58C, but this does not seem to correlate with this problem. Before I replaced the processor the previous one was running at higher temperatures.

My guess is that these builds are testing for some feature present in all the 64-bit architectures, but this traps as an illegal instruction on some AMD 32 bit processors. If the problem is in the graphics I am at a loss to explain how it can run TORCS, but not these browsers.

Otherwise, this looks like a great little Puppy machine for someone.

Any ideas?
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 15:36    Post_subject:  

I think Arora means Arora like Qt based browser Arora. The big size of the pet comes from in build Qt libs.

http://code.google.com/p/arora/
James C

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 15:51    Post_subject:  

Believe that's the Arora browser pet I built long,long ago.Actually a pretty nice little browser. Smile
Arora browser.png
 Description   
 Filesize   117.55 KB
 Viewed   656 Time(s)

Arora browser.png

James C

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 16:03    Post_subject:
Sub_title: alternate browser problems

prehistoric wrote:

chrome - On this one machine I can't seem to run any derivative of chromium, Google-chrome or Iron. In the case of the oldest version this is explained by an attempt to "exec chrome-linux" which does not exist.

Later versions seem to fail immediately, reporting "Illegal instruction" when run from a console.

Since my main Linux box is an Athlon XP 2400+ I can confirm. It appears that the problem exists mainly for Athlon XP and older cpu's and Intel P3's and older.Haven't noticed a problem on newer AMD or Intel P4's and newer.
Luckily, the google Chrome pet ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Google_Chrome-18-Lucid.pet posted a few pages back does work on Athlon Xp cpu's.
Not Chromium but the same family.HTH.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 16:14    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
Believe that's the Arora browser pet I built long,long ago.Actually a pretty nice little browser. Smile
Not knocking the browser, but -- just for grins -- take a look at the information page PPM offers.

The latest suggestion is that these processors were essentially the same as the Athlon MP. Could the browser code be trying to find out if this is capable of multiprocessing????

This is a "Barton" (10 th generation AMD) processor. For hard-core hardware types I offer the exact processor code: AXDA2500DKV4D
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 111 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum