Puppy on a USB Key. Can't run syslinux.com on WinXP.

Booting, installing, newbie

Puppy on a USB Key. Can't run syslinux.com on WinXP.

#1 Post by Guest »

How do you work around this? I can't install puppy to my USB key. I can't run the syslinux.com file, and when I burned the image to CD and used the wizard, the only thing I get when I boot from USB key is the word "GRUB".

Please help. :) Thanks guys!

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

I believe that the instructions for manually running syslinux are a bit out of date (the instructions found on the USB page of the puppy site, that is). On XP, you cannot run syslinux.com, as you have found out. But in the same directory as syslinux.com you should find syslinux.exe. So, instead of typing "syslinux.com [drive letter]" at the prompt, you should type "syslinux [drive letter]". That should give you results.

The only reason I can think of that you would get the grub boot manager when trying to boot your key would be if you ran the "Install Puppy to Hard Drive" wizard on your key, rather than the "Install to USB Key" wizard. Otherwise, grub shouldn't be found on your key...are you sure you used the "install to usb" option?

ND

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Yes, and the install-to-usb script on Pup 1.0.2RC is not working.
1.0.1 should install to usb ok.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

I fixed the install-to-usb script, see News page

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

Boy, that was fast Barry!

I ran into this problem with syslinux.exe file. It was common on older versions, as well. You had to right click on the file in Windows, pick the compatibility tab and change it to a NT compatible file. Then it runs in a terminal window correctly in Windows XP.

But, yes, try the syslinux.exe file first, as is.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith