Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 20:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
How to use Atheros AR9485 in Asus 5349 Laptop? (Solved)
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
vtpup

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2012, 23:22    Post subject:  How to use Atheros AR9485 in Asus 5349 Laptop? (Solved)
Subject description: ath9k doesn't do it

Well plunked down the money for a laptop (my first new computer- I've always had used machines) and moved into the 21st century with a modest dual proc in a very inexpensive machine. I actually bought it at Walmart! It's an Acer Aspire 5349-2635

Everything works great, repartitioned Win 7 down to a corner of the drive, installed Lupu 528 v5 frugal.

But....no wireless. I thought that was going to be a piece of cake with Lupu, as it had been installing it in a couple of my older computers. But this time no go

Checking the hard info, the wifi shows up as an Atheros AR9485 based pci. I tried specifying the ath9k module, but the wifi is still unrecognized.

I found a thread in the Ubuntu forum which eventually shows a solution for the same chipset here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1857808

but I need some help translating that solution (shown there as message 63) to Puppy Lupu 528
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by vtpup on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 19:53; edited 1 time in total
vtpup

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 08:56    Post subject:  

Here's the code of the suggested solution:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 
tar jxvf compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-20*
./scripts/driver-select atheros
make
sudo make install

The main thing I need help on is the first line. In puppy vs ubuntu is that just installing kernel headers, and/or kernel source, and/or devx for 528? Or is it something additional?

I'm assuming I drop the sudo in the last line.

tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 09:42    Post subject:  

Sure, updating the complete wifi subsystem will probably work ...
but do you have the necessary kernel compilation skills?

A more straightforward approach would be to get a more more modern Puppy version with more recent kernel and more recent ath9k driver: Slacko 5.3.1 will probably do it.
vtpup

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 15:16    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Sure, updating the complete wifi subsystem will probably work ...
but do you have the necessary kernel compilation skills?

I'm not sure. I guess it depends how automated the script is, what kind of questions it asks and how many dependencies I have to satisfy.

I remember once upon a time compiling wine for Ubuntu 7, and that was difficult finding all the dependencies, and took hours.

Setting up VMWare Player on Puppy 4.11 a couple years ago was a lot easier I just had to answer a few configuration questions.The script was well automated.

Nvidia drivers were straightforward to add back in 4.3.1 because it was also well automated, and didn't require any dependencies.

That's all I've ever done.

So, I don't know -- do you think I'll need more skills than I have for this particular module creation?

I'm downloading Slacko now, but not looking forward to undoing all the work I've put in so far installing and setting up Lupu the way I want it.

Also would have liked to hit on the Ubuntu repository rather than slack's, but used to do that back in 411 days.

vtpup

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 19:15    Post subject:  

Slacko 5.3.1 was unable to detect the wireless. I also tried loading each of the Atheros modules I could find, but none worked. Definitely not ath9k. I started trying the autoporprobe module function to test all modules, but it was slow going and I gave up after awhile.
vtpup

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 19:52    Post subject:  

Went back to Lupu.

I'd loaded the Devx and Kernel source shs files. I ran:

Code:

wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 
cd compat-wireless-20*
make
make install
make wlunload
modprobe ath9k

Ran the connection wizard and BAM I'm connected and typing this!

No biggie.

ccaaee

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 00:49    Post subject:  

thanks for this. I had the same problem on an Acer 7250 laptop. Although this fixed it as far as the wifi was concerned it prevented the machine from shutting down. It would just show "Lucid is shutting down" then freeze. This was on a full hard disk install. The hack I applied was to add "rmmod ath9k" at the beginning of wmpoweroff and wmreboot.
Now, I'd quite like to make a pet for this module, can anyone point me in the right direction?
vtpup

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 09:33    Post subject:  

Re shutdown problem, just found this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77818

haven't tried it yet. It says not to use it on "Lupu" type puppies, but looks like one lupuplus user has succeeded with it.

Probably should be tested with a temporary test savefile first.

Drewcef

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jun 2012, 15:07    Post subject:  

I just wanted to comment that this worked for me as well! I recently bought an acer Aspire 5733Z (also a very good deal, like the OP), and it has the Atheros AR9485 adapter as well.

I'm really new to Linux, and I'm attempting to fumble my way through the dark with Slackware 13.37 right now. I was able to get the wired connection running, but the wireless connector didn't even show up (except with lspci).

I searched for a while, tried installed madwifi (supposed to be the best support for Atheros adapters in Linux) but I had no luck at all. This thread finally worked!

I'm also posting this hoping that others who might Google attempting to find an answer for the AR9485 will come across this.

Now I just have to figure out how to set up the setting for my wireless network... Confused
chapchap70

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 00:33    Post subject:  

vtpup wrote:
Went back to Lupu.

I'd loaded the Devx and Kernel source shs files. I ran:

Code:

cd compat-wireless-20*
make
make install
make wlunload
modprobe ath9k

Ran the connection wizard and BAM I'm connected and typing this!

No biggie.

I bought a Gateway LT4009u netbook earlier in the week and haven't been able to use the wireless LAN. My quest to get it working led me here because I have the same Atheros AR9485.

I do not use terminal but I figured I'd try to cut and paste. Not that I would have gotten in right but it seems like the location of the driver is no longer the same. I got a 404 code and tried firefox to see what was up. After http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/ the next part is a choice of dates. Which one of these would I use if I am even going in the right direction.

Thanks.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 20:45    Post subject:  

Gateway LT4009U Netbook

Specs:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-LT4009U-10-1-inch-Dual-core-Processor/dp/B0098AJ44G

""""

Use Frisbee and try these Puppies.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81028

and Slacko 533.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76279

Chris.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 22:23    Post subject:  

@chapchap70: What Puppy version are you using?

Type the command "lspci -nn". Identify the [vendor:product] ID codes for your Atheros AR9485.

Report back.

If the codes are [168c:0032] then your device is likely supported by Slacko 533.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 23:38; edited 1 time in total
chapchap70

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 23:08    Post subject:  

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0032] (rev 01)

I am using Lucid Puppy 5.28 I think it is revision 4 I used a pet to last update it.

Kernel Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)

Compiled #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST2010

I tried using console to cut and paste the commands that worked for the op but the make command got a bad command error.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 23:47    Post subject:  

Your safest choice is to upgrade to Slacko 533. But you can also try the attached PET.
atheros_compat_wireless-k2.6.33.2.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  atheros_compat_wireless-k2.6.33.2.pet 
Filesize  862.44 KB 
Downloaded  582 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 08:45; edited 2 times in total
chapchap70

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 01:27    Post subject:  

Thank you for the Pet. I actually had wireless working for a bit before it disconnected. I'll have to mess around with the proper connection. My wireless lan is WPA2 which last I knew there wasn't much support. I was up on another network which is WPA. Once it disconnected, I couldn't reconnect. I'll figure it out.

I tried to run Slacko 5.33 on my desktop so I could create a usb flash drive but just before the desktop appeared on my monitor, I got an "Out Of Range" error. Tried again and same thing. Don't know what that is about but I'm not going try to solve that any time soon. The CD will be shelved for now.

Thanks for the help. I see someone else already downloaded the pet. The netbook I bought seemed to be the best value for the money (200 bucks) so this pet might help a few people.
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: