Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Jul 2014, 12:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
dpup 485
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 11 [163 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
dejan555

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:45    Post subject:  

No, just because it's based on debian packages doesn't mean it has apt package manager. dpup uses standard puppy package manager, but it can pull dependencies from debian which doesn't always work quite right. There was experimental apt-get sfs for some older dpup but it was never fully tested. You can install debs in most recent puppies by just clicking on them so if you know how to download them with dependencies you can easily install them. Also, check out Iguleder's tool for downloading debs with dependencies, can't remember what it was called now?

treken

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:49    Post subject:  

Well, I need to be able to install the dependencies for compiling android and will also need to install java6 jdk as well. I'll need to get adb working. So I really need to get aptitude working Sad
enhu

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:54    Post subject:  

seems like wget don't work.
treken

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2011, 13:29    Post subject:  

So wget will work? What command would I use as opposed to:

apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf

libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-

dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip

curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-

java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2011, 05:37    Post subject:  

Hi Dejan555,

Well done with shaping Dpup485. It is running pretty well for me on an old Toshiba 2670DVD laptop, especially in live mode. (Lots of other puppies are not so good on this PIII 450Mhz oddball machine)

However after doing a frugal install I seem to have lost most of the desktop icons, as shown on the attached image.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thx!
dpup screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   83.13 KB
 Viewed   572 Time(s)

dpup screenshot.jpg

dejan555

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2011, 05:59    Post subject:  

Oh, that's weird, I'll check that out ASAP and make fix but noone yet reported this issue Confused
So you just installed frugal and rebooted and upon first boot from frugal without savefile icons weren't there?

greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2011, 19:49    Post subject:  

Yes, the icons had been perfect throughout several days of live CD testing but as soon as the frugal install was done it appeared as shown.

Possibly I may have made a wrong step though...

During install I first of all selected "internal CF card in IDE adapter" as that is what I am using instead of a hard disk. The install did not seem to begin, so I reran the install and selected "internal IDE hard disk".

Everything else about the install seemed good except that my first boot gave grub error 15 as I had misspelt the Dpuppy485 folder name in menu.lst

Therefore I had to reboot from live CD and modify menu.lst

I could wipe it all out and try again if there is no easy way to correct the icon appearance?
dejan555

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2011, 19:55    Post subject:  

Icons should be easy to fix but it's 2:12 AM here and I neeeeed to sleep Laughing
Can you try to re-run first wizard from Setup menu (Or was it Desktop menu?) and check reset to default and apply?
If that doesn't solve it wait till tomorrow and I'll take a look. No need to reinstall just because of icons issue

musher0

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2012, 02:59    Post subject:  

Hello, gang!

lxp-icewm running over dpup-4.85! Very Happy
Different, eh? You'd mistake it for some Ubuntu! Laughing

BFN.
lwp-icewm-dpup-4.85.jpg
 Description   lxp-icewm running over dpup-4.85
 Filesize   88.57 KB
 Viewed   878 Time(s)

lwp-icewm-dpup-4.85.jpg

dejan555

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012, 01:32    Post subject:  

Nice!

musher0

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr 2012, 02:34    Post subject: urxvt-9.12 for dpup-4.85 and similar
Subject description: Fresh compile of urxvt-9.12 from LFS source.

Thanks, dejan!

Here's something that might generate some new interest for our still very good derivative:

http://limelinx.com/files/1489eb310da35605ed39a943a2b1ea70

It's a compile, from a Linux-from-Scratch source, of rxvt-9.12 for dpup-4.85, complete with pixmaps and *rc files.

The pet will place urxvt in /usr/local/bin. dpup-4.85 users may well be advised to remove the urxvt symlink in /usr/bin. (Sort of a reverse "mentality", really, this symlink from urxvt to the old rxvt.)

Of course, dpup always had Mrxvt, but sometimes you just want or need a console with a simple and plain window. Also, Urxvt support utf8, whereas Mrxvt does not.

There's a note in /root/append-to* about what to do with the included *rc files (replace or append .Xdefaults?). The simplest thing to do would have been for me to place these to /root, but I'm not the type who'll squish your files un-announced! So read the note, do what you wish, and then remove this ugly "append-to" directory...

If undecded, make a back-up of your .Xresources, .Xdefaults and *rc files in /root and copy everything in the "append-to" directory to /root.

As well, I've been upgrading my dpup-4.85 with more modern coreutils and squash-utils. If anyone is interested, I might prepare a (not-so-)little (?) upgrade pet ?

All the best.

Enjoy!

Puppyt

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2012, 20:13    Post subject:  

Musher0 - I, for one, would LOVE to see your upgrade pet. Would it be too much to ask if you might think of posting your dpup-4.85 project as a complete ISO somewhere? Doesn't have to be a full-blown "release", and feel welcome not to have to support it for all and sundry. Please don't be modest!

Cheers Smile

musher0

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2012, 20:42    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
Musher0 - I, for one, would LOVE to see your upgrade pet. Would it be too much to ask if you might think of posting your dpup-4.85 project as a complete ISO somewhere? Doesn't have to be a full-blown "release", and feel welcome not to have to support it for all and sundry. Please don't be modest!

Cheers Smile

Hello, PuppyT.

Thanks for the kind words.

A complete ISO? Surprised Probably not ! But maybe a sfs. Give me a few days.

Incidentally, is your CUPS-PDF printing device working in dpup-4.85? I've had problems with it -- in dpup 4.85 and lupu-5.25-retro-4. If you do, and maybe other people, I could add it to the upgrade.

Another thing I have to mention is that security maintenance of Debian Lenny has stopped in mid-February. Debian Lenny is being phased out and replaced with Debian Wheezy. So I might have to find non-Lenny packages for this upgrade. I am saying this so the purists are forewarned! Smile

Have a great day!

musher0

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2012, 03:26    Post subject:  

Hi, PuppyT.

I've fulfilled part of my promise here: Smile
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77671

All the best.

tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2012, 09:22    Post subject:  

Thanks a lot, musher0, the crap hiding behind the download button in that limelinx link chrashed my 'fox Evil or Very Mad
(the one on this page, I did not try those in the link immediatly above)

tallboy
Page 9 of 11 [163 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: