Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
magerlab

#2381 Post by magerlab »

Thank you! Unfortunately, it works only partially. I have only window buttons in panel. Global-menu doesn't work and there's a message that plugin crushed

pemasu

#2382 Post by pemasu »

Here is aufs3-util-saluki. It is compiled in Saluki-016, using devx sfs for it and I used kernel sources 3.2.13-pae when I compiled it.
Aufs3-util has been created from up to date commit.

How can I test the sfs_load hanging. Which sfs application for example can be used to test the bug. Sorry...I havent followed so keenly the thread.
Attachments
aufs3-util-saluki-0.0.1.pet
(51.02 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

mavrothal

Re: Youtube viewer & sfs-load problems

#2383 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
mikeslr wrote:Sfs-load appears to hang when trying to unload some sfses. "Wait" remains on the screen for minutes. Closing that dialog box does no stop sfs-loader, as it still shows up as active in lxtaskmanager; though using 0 ram. If killed via lxtaskmanager it can not be restarted (that is rerun). Restarting X also isn't effective. Shutting down is effective, but the shut-down process takes forever:
I am experiencing this also, everything I've tried to unload doesn't, then there is no way other than rebooting to be able to run the sfs unload again,
but that fails to work, I have to use the power button, as it won't reboot, it hangs :?
This is worse than I thought - unloading is causing a kernel oops. Was this happening in the last release? I didn't change anything kernel related.
I do not thing is the kernel. I had the hang with an (olpc) 2.6.35 kernel that has been rock solid in my system, with many puppies and SFS_load versions
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#2384 Post by jemimah »

This patched version seems to solve the kernel panics for me. You guys see if you can crash it.
Attachments
sfs_load-1.3-saluki.pet
(40.2 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

pemasu

#2385 Post by pemasu »

Before applying the fixed sfs_load...google-chrome.sfs did crash in the second round and caused kernel crash also.
With the fixed sfs_load ( I have mine compiled latest aufs3-util installed also) I couldnt crash it with 8 load-unload cycle. I will continue the whole night.

I report on the morning...lol.

jemimah

#2386 Post by jemimah »

magerlab wrote:Thank you! Unfortunately, it works only partially. I have only window buttons in panel. Global-menu doesn't work and there's a message that plugin crushed
I just poked at figuring out the menu - but that is the part that needs ubuntu patches for gtk. :(

I still think it's somewhat useful without the menu. At least it gets rid of the title bar when windows are maximized which is nice on small screens.

I haven't crashed it yet. What did yours say when it crashed.

magerlab

#2387 Post by magerlab »

Plugin "Global Menu Plugin for XFCE Panel" unexpectedly left the panel, do you want to restart it?

The plugin restarted more than once in the last 60 seconds. If you press Execute the panel will try to restart the plugin otherwise it will be permanently removed from the panel.

That's what I get when adding Global Menu plugin.
Indicator app menu plugin works ( window buttons in panel).
may be it needs qt also ?

mikeslr

sfs-load-on-the-fly (revisited)

#2388 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jemimah, pemasu & all;

I tested shinobar's 1.4 & 1.9 and reported results on Shinobar's thread, but had to go out before providing link here to them. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 028#618028. Checking in here, I've discovered jemimah's new sfs-load pet and pemasu's apparent success using it.
I'll test the same.
pemasu, try testing sfses not specifically built for Saluki. Noobs and those running more than one puplet are likely to try to load-unload them. Being able to unload a non-functional sfs is almost as important as being able to load a functional one.

Edit: Tested sfs_load-1.3-saluki.pet with the following: All could be loaded and unloaded without a problem:
gimp-2.6.11.sfs (not from Saluki repo)
google-chrome-stable_12.742.112.sfs
picasa3.sfs
Streamtuner2-2.03.sfs (not from Saluki repo)
LibreOffice-3.5.1-en_us-2.sfs (not from Saluki repo), and
xnviewp-xnconverter.sfs (not from Saluki repo).

With the exception of Streamtuner2-2.03.sfs, all not only loaded and unloaded, but also ran.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

2 kernels available - nonPAE and PAE for 32bit Saluki

#2389 Post by gcmartin »

This may be the wrong thread to post this, i know. But, I could not think of where else to post this.

Pemasu has done fabulous work for the total PUP community. In SALUKI he has been instrumental with his kernels.

I run a Live media system.

Questions
  • Is there a way that the Live media (cd/dvd) could have a boot-time

Code: Select all

puppy pfix= ....
    method where the user booting the system could direct the process to boot the non-PAE or the PAE versions for, say, SALUKI18+?
  • Or could Shinobar's method of GRUB4DOS on the booting Live media allow a selection of either PAE or non-PAE?
I think its obvious how this would be of benefit to the developers and users alike.

Thoughts for the future distros where the distro developers offer both version of a 32bit kernel.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#2390 Post by Geoffrey »

Installed pemasu's aufs3-util-saluki-0.0.1.pet and the sfs_load-1.3-saluki.pet, this seems to be a lot better but I still get the occasional lockup when loading a sfs, I'm only able to load 6 sometimes 7 sfs files running on a usb install, I receive an error message like below, but it sometimes will load on a second attempt.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

dennis-slacko531

Splash screen, then loading fine, then black screen

#2391 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Hi Jemimah,
I thought it'd be appropriate to ask what's up? Been upgrading since 009.
Of course I have an older pc, but I just miss the (018) upgrade cycle.

I get a working mouse pointer (in 018) but clicking (of any kind) produced no menus, etc. Thanks all, for the fast Puppies.
X-precise-2.2, Upup Raring 3.9.9, Carolina 1.1
(Nov 2013)

PC's nearly free @ eBay
HP dc7800 SFF INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 2.66GHz/2GB 160GB HDD
$47+25 ship

[b]Linux eye candy Is Lnux.com[/b]
[url]http://www.LNUX.com[/url]

jemimah

#2392 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:Installed pemasu's aufs3-util-saluki-0.0.1.pet and the sfs_load-1.3-saluki.pet, this seems to be a lot better but I still get the occasional lockup when loading a sfs, I'm only able to load 6 sometimes 7 sfs files running on a usb install, I receive an error message like below, but it sometimes will load on a second attempt.
This is my fault. I created some loop devices with the wrong permissions. If you go into /dev and delete loop11-loop20 everything should work as expected. I will fix it for the next release.

jemimah

Re: Splash screen, then loading fine, then black screen

#2393 Post by jemimah »

dennis-slacko531 wrote:Hi Jemimah,

I get a working mouse pointer (in 018) but clicking (of any kind) produced no menus, etc. Thanks all, for the fast Puppies.
Hmm, I really didn't change anything major between 17 and 18. Does your md5sum check out? Maybe it's just a bad download or a bad installation.

dennis-slacko531

Re: Splash screen, then loading fine, then black screen

#2394 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

jemimah wrote:
dennis-slacko531 wrote:Hi Jemimah,

Hmm, I really didn't change anything major between 17 and 18. Does your md5sum check out? Maybe it's just a bad download or a bad installation.
It's good w/new dnld. Orig dnld was oddly very slow.
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 06:46, edited 2 times in total.

Pete22

Saluki 18 found a problem and found a fix.

#2395 Post by Pete22 »

Pupradio worked in all the releases 16 and before. However, it would not even open in 17 or 18.
I was very sad, So my brother and I fiddled with older versions of pupradio

I got .08 pupradio to work. Looking deeper, I noticed that pupradio was not working with xnoice
which is the default in saluki.

I downloaded mplayer and then made mplayer the default media and music player.
Redownloaded Pupradio, and it opened and started playing!!!!

Not sure what is wrong with xnoise.

Pete

Pete22

Just a tiny bug.

#2396 Post by Pete22 »

Notification settings:
Opacity setting does not work.
It looks the same at 0 as it does at 100.
See picture.

Pete
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 725 times

Pete22

XDesktop Icon Restorer is sooo cool

#2397 Post by Pete22 »

Geoffrey,

I just saw your post,

This program works Wonders!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much.

Pete

DaveS

Re: Just a tiny bug.

#2398 Post by DaveS »

Pete22 wrote:Notification settings:
Opacity setting does not work.
It looks the same at 0 as it does at 100.
See picture.

Pete
Have you turned on Comositing? Control Panel>Window Manager Tweaks>Compositor--enable
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#2399 Post by DaveS »

How do I use the Delta file to generate a new updated .iso please? I have installed the Xdelta package.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#2400 Post by Sage »

v.18

Most tasteful boot screen and appropriate desktop wallpaper. However....

no scrolling boot up of dmesg?

pfix=nox didn't work

CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE gave irrecoverable black screen, unable to run xorgwizard blind, either.

No floppy is a very bad idea - I said that before. Without it, there is no simple way to manipulate the BIOS, inter alia. Most good boards still have the pin headers and a BIOS entry. Apart from which, 1.44Mb is still a very large text file. This entire episode was a subterfuge initiated by Dell in league with the devil - the DWIntel cartel to save $5. Besides, every review I've read of Puppy and it's derivatives mention it's prime function for resurrecting old kit. It seems rather pointless using what started out as a liveCD and a Mr-fixit tool on SOTA HW which would be more suited to running RH and guiding probes around Saturn's moons. Dan Dare and Sondar must be turning in their graves, if Treens die, that is.