Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1021 Post by pemasu »

I do use Thunderbird also...almost solely. But I use it from /mnt/home....I just drag the .thunderbird as symlink to the /root and drag the thunderbird script to the desktop. It works also without problem.

But...you can insert below command at the beginning of the thunderbird script:

Code: Select all

exec `kill -9 `ps -aef | grep thunderbird | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'``
It kills the previous thunderbird process.
The same command works for firefox...by changing the name of killed process....

davids45

#1022 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Before I get rushed out for another Easter lunch, I've a quick query.

I've just tried 5x3.1.10.3 and have a problem with a Full install created from the Frugal directory (no CD involved in either install - Frugal created directly from mounted iso).

The Frugal goes well, however after using its Universal Installer to make a Full 5x31110.3 to an unused partition, during booting of this Full, I see the displayed text:

"Making file system usable ............................................ failed" (last word in orange text).

The boot continues and the Full start-up window appears but with a frozen mouse cursor. Or if the mouse starts initially, it soon freezes.

The Frugal does not have this problem.

Any idea of what this "failed" message means? I haven't seen it with the other Exprimo types nor any other Puppy, as far as I recall.

Thanks for any help,

David S.

pemasu

#1023 Post by pemasu »

Cant say what goes wrong. I would need to try it my self and start to debug. Reasons are so many. Missing libs, missing binaries can cause those kind problems. You should check the logs in /tmp and in /var/log if they would tell something more spesific.

backi

#1024 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !
Found the same problems like David45.
Tried to make full install 5X3.1.10.3 and also 5X3.2.11 from live cd using universal installer ,tried also from Usb stick . Same problems as David 45 reported.
Managed to install both Dpups ,after startup they worked( mouse worked) Did shutting down -saving .
After new booting mouse was froozen could only use touchpad.
The courious thing about it , i had before both versions installed full ,and they worked.
(sometimes i just playing -experimenting with different distroes)
After a new installation i recognized same issues as mentioned above ."Making file system usable ............................................ failed" (last word in orange text).

After a while i gave up to look for solution and tried frugal install to harddisk
Works fine .

James C

#1025 Post by James C »

You know me, I'll test everything..... :lol:
Starting a test full install of 5.X.3.1.10.3 on an old P4 test box.

Side note........I don't really care for the new booting of the live cd.But, it may just be me.....

More when the install gets done.(copying files to sda8 at the moment).

charlie6

#1026 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu !
Upon attempt to get a full install, got also the same message :
"Making file system usable ............................................ failed"
Could meanwhile use the mouse and use Exprimo even to perform some compiling (withdev_x.sfs installed).
I did not report this as I thought the problem was here in my full install procedure.
Charlie
ps: I appreciate Exprimo very much; it is now here quite daily used. Thanks a lot for your work !

James C

#1027 Post by James C »

James C wrote:You know me, I'll test everything..... :lol:
Starting a test full install of 5.X.3.1.10.3 on an old P4 test box.

Side note........I don't really care for the new booting of the live cd.But, it may just be me.....

More when the install gets done.(copying files to sda8 at the moment).
Well, it booted and the mouse and everything is working at the moment.I use the old school ps/2 mouse ..... may be a detection problem.

I'll play with it a while and see what happens......looking normal so far.

Downloading Flash as I'm posting. :)

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I saw the red "failed" on initial boot and again when I just rebooted.Still seems normal otherwise though. For now.

EDIT again:
Mouse just froze up....keyboard still functioning.
Let me grab a usb mouse and see what happens.

pemasu

#1028 Post by pemasu »

Thank you all of your reports. Keep them up coming. There definitively is something wrong with Dpup Exprimo - PUI - full install. What is the main factor...thats what we need to dig out.
I think that I dig my other laptop which has Saluki as full install. I did the first Saluki kernel compile with it and tested that it works with new - updated kernel in full install. I can use that comp for full install testing. It has single Turion 64 cpu and it is not very linux friendly - old acer ferrari laptop without screen - I need to use external monitor - its inbuild broadcom has evaded all my attempts to get it working - with many Puppies - but that is what I have got.

James C

#1029 Post by James C »

Can't do much with a frozen mouse but.......looking at the kernel log the ps/2 mouse was detected at line 497, keyboard at 510.

/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input1

Don't see any reference to when it quit working though.Detected the usb mouse at line 618 however a cursor never appeared.
Looking at logs gives me a headache..... :lol:

James C

#1030 Post by James C »

I booted into a frugal Exprimo install and I'm retrieving the logs..... I'll tar them up and attach them for your inspection.

But quickly, in the xerrs.log I noticed this

Code: Select all

FATAL: Module fbcon not found.
SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
	No such file or directory.
(EE) Mouse0: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse0"
cat: /sys/block/fd0/device/vendor: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/block/fd0/device/model: No such file or directory

Happy reading...................... it's 3:30 am....time for sleep here.
Attachments
logs.tar.gz
(23.51 KiB) Downloaded 589 times

davids45

#1031 Post by davids45 »

G'day again,
Back from an as-usual excessive Easter lunch and "happy" to see my problem is shared, although no one is certain where the problem lies.

In case it is important, re the hardware, I'm using a desktop computer (ASUS P5G41T-M LX motherboard) and the mouse is a "Magic Magnetism" Tevion model (running through a USB port). When the mouse freezes - the cursor stops moving, but its red light is still on and its transponder's green LED blinks when I move the mouse.
I tried a Full 5x3.1.10.3 with two USB mice, rebooting after a freeze but once the Full has frozen, I could not get it going again with either mouse.

Another issue with my desktop is its Radeon HD5450 card needs the ATI proprietary driver if I want to see anything during Puppy shut-down with Lucid and Exprimo (Debian) based Pups. The default driver is OK but dies too quickly on shutting down. I think I found the mouse freezing with either graphics driver (default and proprietary) for the Full install attempts.
But I don't see how this would be affecting the mouse response.

Thanks for the replies, and I'll cross my fingers hoping for a simple answer - apart from just using a Frugal for 5x3.1.10.3 :D .

David S.

pemasu

#1032 Post by pemasu »

I do have Ati Mobility Radeon HD5650 in my laptop as the better one of my dual graphics. It behaves the same in most Puppies. It is due xorg radeon driver and the only solution for console state has been the proprietary ATI driver.

Jim1911

#1033 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:This should make Jim1911 happy. Openbibleviewer-0.7.0.
It needs qt4-libs, for example basic and clucene.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... t-dpup.pet

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... .3.3.4.pet

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=123227
It works well.

Thank you, :D
Jim

Eathray

#1034 Post by Eathray »

pemasu,

Haven't been able to get Blender going. As far as I can tell, the only thing different between yours and mine is that I had used the .pet for Xorg High in the initial setup of Exprimo rather then the .sfs version, which you said you used.

Could that make a difference?

Anyway, I stuck the 2.4.9 Blender on for the kiddo from slackware, and that keeps him occupied for the moment, although not all the functions work.

I still want to get your 2.6.1 going, but just not sure what to try next...

Thanks

Eathray

pemasu

#1035 Post by pemasu »

Okay....now I have full install of 5.X.3.1.0.3 under fingers. And I managed to get usb cord optical mouse. And I get the same freezing at second boot. I checked with dmesg that the unplugging and replugging works just fine. So the problem is not there. Next I checked the /dev section. And...symlink mouse pointing to psaux was missing. So I created symlink from psaux to mouse and restarted X. I got my usb cord optical mouse back in function !
So there seems to be problem with device files creation or automatic deleting and recreation or....
I remember that there has been some changes in woof regarding them....but I really dont know much of /dev device file functionality.....yet.

But I suppose we are now in tracks.......

don570

#1036 Post by don570 »

I am using squeeze-5.X.3.1.10.2-SCSI.iso

Ppoweroff doesn't work on my IBM thinkcenter tower with intel graphics.
Is it supposed to work?

Fortunately pupshutdown works so I can shut off my machine.

pemasu

#1037 Post by pemasu »

/etc/rc.d/sysinit misbehaves. I wonder does the PLANG file removal from initrd.gz has side-effects....just brainstorming.

Anyway...I inserted to the rc.sysinit file...to the line 761...this row: ln -snf /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

and it looks now like this:
echo -n ' input' >/dev/console #100131
if [ ! -f /etc/mousedevice ];then
echo -n "input/mice" > /etc/mousedevice
ln -snf input/mice /dev/mouse
else
[ "`cat /etc/mousedevice`" = "psaux" ] && echo -n "input/mice" > /etc/mousedevice
fi
ln -snf /dev/psaux /dev/mouse
I admit...I dont understand much of the rc.sysinit...but this hack worked for me...until the real reason has been found.
Anyway...I am gonna download latest woof2 commit and create next build with the improved 3builddistro. It should now accept UTF-8 and my mistakenly adding it should be fixed now.

recobayu

rox got hang

#1038 Post by recobayu »

hi everyone,
i'm very like the progress of dpup exprimo, and now i use every kernel on exprimo.
but i have a problem when i go to /proc, rox got hang.
usually i press ctrl+alt+backspace and startx again.
how should i do to repair that?
thanks.
keep better :D

pemasu

#1039 Post by pemasu »

It is Rox-Filer bug. I dont have that bug anymore when I updated to the latest Barry Kaulers Rox-Filer. But it seems it still cause problems with certain hardware. I dont know any other fix than testing different /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer binaries. I suppose you could copy that binary from Puppy where it works ok.

pemasu

#1040 Post by pemasu »

Don570. Yep...the problem is the missing row in wmpoweroff: killall enlightenment. During all these Pupsaveconfig - other script updates I havent remembered to check that killall enlightenment still is found in all concerning scripts.
PupShutdown has it inbuild but Ppoweroff relies straigth to wmpoweroff - wmreboot and wmexit scripts. The problem is already fixed in my next build.
I posted about my finding some time ago.

Here is a pet to fix those scripts and it also has the latest PupShutdown and powerbutton updates by Shinobar and Radky.
Attachments
PupShutdown-Ppoweroff-fix-0.0.1.pet
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 670 times