Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 16:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppylinux for the OLPC laptops: XOpup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 21 [306 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
jakfish

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 08:00    Post subject:  

Ah, yes, that command helps things considerably and I put it in my portrait rotate script.

My conky and my xhippo launch in predetermined x y coordinates, so they remain off screen, but your command makes all desktop icons visible in portrait.

Thank you again for the help,
Jake
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 15:47    Post subject: JWM 579  

Jake
you may want to try the latest jwm snv 579. Supposingly handles xrandr better.
The pet below is compiled in XOpup and has the bigger buttons too.
Works fine in Lupu 528.005 that I tried it though I did not rotate the screen.
In XOpup-2.2 (Lupu 5.2) rotation works fine.
jwm-579_XOpup-1.pet
Description  JWM svn-579 patched for bigger buttons. Works fine in Lupu 5.x too
pet

Download 
Filename  jwm-579_XOpup-1.pet 
Filesize  73.26 KB 
Downloaded  561 Time(s) 

jakfish

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 17:08    Post subject:  

Looking forward to trying this. Should I uninstall jwm 2.1 before installing this version?

Jake
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 17:15    Post subject:  

jakfish wrote:
Looking forward to trying this. Should I uninstall jwm 2.1 before installing this version?

Jake

No. But restart X, not just jwm, after you install.
Type "jwm -version" in the terminal to make sure it says "jwm svn 579"

jakfish

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 18:25    Post subject:  

Hi, mavrothal,

Successfully installed this update over jwm 2.1 on dpup exprimo w/ frugal install.

On hardware of Lenovo S10-3t, I don't find any difference, meaning that jwm 2.1 works pretty good with the S10's touchscreen.

I have, however, abandoned the fixPuppyPin command. While it brings out all my desktop icons in portrait, after returning to landscape, my conky and rainlendar calendar are gone until I reset X. I think this has to do w/ their fixed x and y coordinates.

I've simply moved the icons necessary to portrait mode (Opera, ebooks, etc) to the left-hand of the screen. In portrait, there they are, and without fixPuppyPin, I can have landscape restored to all its splendor w/o X restart.

jwm 2.1, with your nifty commands to reset the autohide taskbar, is very stable going back and forth b/w portrait and landscape.

Jake
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012, 09:04    Post subject: PPM update  

The XOpup-Lupu PPM has stayed a bit behind so here is a small update.
It does few things.
1) Has the puppy-common and puppy-noarch repositories (downloadpkgs.sh) and the databases
2) Allows you to skip a repo when you update the repos, so you do not to download the ubuntu repos (are frozen anyway by now) every time that you want to update a repo (0setup)
3) Has a bigger search field so you can actually see what you write Wink (pkg_chooser.sh)
4) Most important from the user prospective, allows you to search with (max 3) descriptive terms both the package names and the package descriptions (see picture) so you do not necessarily need to know the package name (findnames.sh).

Version 2 Version 2+ in addition to the above will simultaneously search ALL active databases (the ones showing at the right side of the PPM window at the time) find the pet/package and download it from the respective repo and any dependencies needed (installpreview.sh) !
The down side is you do not know where you download your pet from. If it is from a distribution repo (ubuntu) might be harder to troubleshoot, in case problems appear.
Though starting with v4 you can choose to search one or all active databases

Though build for XOpup, tested OK with Lupu528.005 and I assume previous Lupu versions too.

NOTE: This is NOT a standalone PPM. Only updates some of the files (indicated above)
PPM_XOpup-4.pet
Description  Update for the XOpup, Lupu, PPM. Simultaneously checks ALL active databases
pet

Download 
Filename  PPM_XOpup-4.pet 
Filesize  55.25 KB 
Downloaded  602 Time(s) 
PPM_XOpup-1.pet
Description  Update for the XOpup, Lupu PPM.
pet

Download 
Filename  PPM_XOpup-1.pet 
Filesize  50.51 KB 
Downloaded  560 Time(s) 
image-1.png
 Description   Searching for "video player" the ubuntu repo
 Filesize   90.82 KB
 Viewed   1507 Time(s)

image-1.png

musher0

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2012, 13:09    Post subject:  

Thanks for this modified PPM.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2012, 09:01    Post subject: Slacko-5.3.3 for the XO  

If you got "tired" of XOpup you may want to try Slacko-5.3.3_XO Wink
Varmint

PostPosted: Wed 23 May 2012, 10:55    Post subject: Installation
Subject description: to onboard drive, not to usb stick

Is there a way to erase that infernal Sugar OS on the built-in flash drive and replace it with Puppy? All I've found so far is how to run Pup from USB sticks, which works great, by the way, but isn't what I was looking for. I'm not really interested in carrying USB sticks around for this to boot with.

I tried to post this query already, but it didn't show up, so I must've goofed (again).

Nice work on the XO-Pup!
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 23 May 2012, 13:48    Post subject: Re: Installation
Subject description: to onboard drive, not to usb stick

Varmint wrote:
Is there a way to erase that infernal Sugar OS on the built-in flash drive and replace it with Puppy? All I've found so far is how to run Pup from USB sticks, which works great, by the way, but isn't what I was looking for. I'm not really interested in carrying USB sticks around for this to boot with.

Never tried it but I do not think that the puppy init can handle raw internal NAND of the XO-1.

I have XOpup in an SDcard that is permanently in my XO's SDcard slot.

Varmint

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 21:54    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote, in part:

"I have XOpup in an SDcard that is permanently in my XO's SDcard slot."

My reply:
You have an SD card slot? Can't do that here on my model 1.0 OLPC, so yours is obviously a later model.

As to puppy not being able to handle the raw nand drive, I don't see why it should be a problem. It is, as far as I'm aware, just an SSD drive of some sort. I have an Asus Eee 701SD that I've put multiple puppies, backtrack, ubuntu, slackware, and pcbsd on. So I guess my question now is:

Is something different about the XO's on-board nand drive, or is it just invisible from puppy due to the on-board system bios?

As always, thanks to everyone for their time and expertise!
mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 23:49    Post subject:  

Varmint wrote:

You have an SD card slot? Can't do that here on my model 1.0 OLPC, so yours is obviously a later model.

ALL XOs from early pre-production models have an SDcard slot.
Just turn the screen and look under the power button

Quote:
Is something different about the XO's on-board nand drive, or is it just invisible from puppy due to the on-board system bios?

XO-1 has a raw NAND without any controller (as SDcards SSDs and USBs have). It needs to be handles by a special file system as jffs2 or Ubifs.

Varmint

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2012, 23:15    Post subject: SD Card Slot
Subject description: on olpc 1.0

mavrothal wrote, in part:
"Just turn the screen and look under the power button"

My reply:
Holy cow, mavrothal....that was a genuine shocker, and the one place I never thought of looking for it. Thank you....I am now a very happy old fart. The possibilities once again abound. Now I need to get another sd card just for this.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun 2012, 23:35    Post subject: Other puppies for the XO-1 and XO-1.5 laptops  

Here are some more recent puppies that are modified for the XO laptops

Racy5.2.2_XO.tar.gz (md5sum: 828d129d623b8dab5f08d5b5c477fe9b)

racy-5.3_XO.tar.gz (md5sum: dfceeeed60c9b180d3a8f2c7a6d05b59)

slacko-5.3.3_XO.tar.gz (md5sum: 85f866cadc97f6934ad0ac10d81fc96e)

Install as the original XOpup.

More info on these pups here and here (as long as this site is still up... Sad )

Last edited by mavrothal on Fri 30 Aug 2013, 17:32; edited 1 time in total
Varmint

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2012, 12:37    Post subject: Other puppies for the XO-1 and XO-1.5 laptops
Subject description: cool

Downloaded the Slacko version. I'll try it out later. I'm sure others will greatly appreciate your efforts, as well as sharing these links to other versions.
Thanks again!
Page 15 of 21 [306 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: