Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1001 Post by pemasu »

/root/Downloads/bluetooth-0.5/root/Startup/bluetooth
The bluetooth script comes with bluetooth-0.5.pet and it has not been part of base Dpup.

pemasu

#1002 Post by pemasu »

I have tested now PupShutdown-timeout-20120404.pet. It seems that from script /etc/acpi/actions/acpi_poweroff.sh the part: && P="/usr/local/PupShutdown/PupShutdown $TIMELIMIT"
does not carry the TIMELIMIT value to the modified script: /usr/local/PupShutdown/PupShutdown.
The part:

Code: Select all

# 4Apr2012 shinobar: tieout
[ $TIMEOUT -eq 0 ] && exit
for I in $(seq $TIMEOUT); do
  sleep 1
  pidof PSD-bin &>/dev/null || exit
done
wmpoweroff
does not take TIMEOUT timelimit in action. I am not sure should it be TIMELIMIT as in acpi_poweroff.sh script to carry it here, but even changing the TIMEOUT to TIMELIMIT does not help. The powerbutton shuts down after sleep 1.
Also the MENU > Shutdown which launches the PupShutdown script shuts down after 1 second.

It could be easiest solution that I revert back to just shutting down with powerbutton and forget the PupShutdown usage. It seemed good change but as always: every action has also counter-action.....
And Shinobar has shown that there is real need for just shutting down.

jemimah

#1003 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:
3) fn brightness works, but with no on-screen scale (similar to volume control). I don't mind, but is a file missing (the way volup, etc was missing from previous version)?
I believe Jemimah could answer better to that problem. You could pm her ? And if you get working solution...please post the procedure here.
The brightness scale only works on the EEEPC, which sends acpi events when you changes the brightness. With other machines the kernel changes the brightness silently and AFAIK there's no easy way to know from a script when it happens or how bright it is.

pemasu

#1004 Post by pemasu »

I have removed the overwriting - preinstalled bluetooth files from bluetooth-0.5.pet. Jakfish or someone with bluetooth connection testing possibility could test the reloaded bluetooth-0.5.pet. It is now of course slimmer.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... th-0.5.pet

jakfish

#1005 Post by jakfish »

Yes, bluetooth .05 installs, works, without overwriting files.

I've been doing so much testing of this OS that I've lost my place and hadn't realized that the /root/Startup/bluetooth.sh was put in by this pet. My mistake, I thought it was part of the stock OS.

As jemimah's warning about graphic for screen resolution, that makes sense, and the graphic is unnecessary--all that matters is that it works, and it does.

Jake

pemasu

#1006 Post by pemasu »

Thank you Jakfish of the report. Good to know. And thank you of your extensive testing and work for improving the distro. As you and all the other. My distro evolves based on requests, fixes, suggestions and hacks by the users.
That makes this woof building satisfactory...and the fact that Dpup works as my main OS.

pemasu

#1007 Post by pemasu »

This should make Jim1911 happy. Openbibleviewer-0.7.0.
It needs qt4-libs, for example basic and clucene.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... t-dpup.pet

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... .3.3.4.pet

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=123227

shinobar

PupShutdown-timeout-20120405

#1008 Post by shinobar »

pemasu wrote:I have tested now PupShutdown-timeout-20120404.pet. It seems that from script /etc/acpi/actions/acpi_poweroff.sh the part: && P="/usr/local/PupShutdown/PupShutdown $TIMELIMIT"
does not carry the TIMELIMIT value to the modified script: /usr/local/PupShutdown/PupShutdown.
Right. Was missing:

TIMEOUT=$1	# 5Apr2012 shinobar: timeout# 5Apr2012 shinobar: timeout
TIMEOUT=$(echo $TIMEOUT| tr -dc '0-9-')
[ "$TIMEOUT" ] || TIMEOUT=0
But 60s may be too short. Better to be 120s?
Anyway it would be nice if the time limit is shown on the dialog... :wink:
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

pemasu

#1009 Post by pemasu »

Now the PupShutdown works perfect. I can include the modified scripts to the next version.
About information of the shutdown timelimit default in PupShutdown would be great. It would be Dpup Exprimo speciality atm...but maybe Radky would be interested to think about it.... :D

Or if there would be the default timelimit shown when you press the shutdown button. Which ever way...it would be good to have.....

Oh yeah...the wmpoweroff, wmexit and wmreboot needs killall enlightenment row. It might be that I have missed them in some of the scripts during the updates but now I noticed the need and remind of it :
snippet.....

PSPEFD="`ps -C pup_event_frontend_d | grep 'pup_event_front' | grep -v 'defunct'`"
done
sleep 0.2

killall enlightenment

sync
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.

jim3630

#1010 Post by jim3630 »

jim3630 wrote:
Tman wrote:
jim3630 wrote: only issue is firefox when reopen gives error msg ff is already running.
Jim, try modifying /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to the following:

#!/bin/sh
yaf-splash -bg red -fg white -placement center -timeout 2 -text "loading.." &
killall firefox 2> /dev/null
sleep 0.3
exec /usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
And then create an icon entry for defaultbrowser, or just type it in the terminal.
Tman thanks for the help. on this startup of ff and closing problem is gone.
this has happened in the past with other pups but don't recall why occurred.
will keep your fix saved away.
Tman
after some time without the problem today it returned and applying your fix it worked!

any idea why this happens?
thanks again for the fix.
------------
seems only one having this problem. like to know what am doing wrong here.

pemasu

do you know if this is something I did or your pup?
Last edited by jim3630 on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1011 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz first announced Lucid Puppy way to get application help button to work for Abiword...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77295

Then Jemimah showed the way to patch glib. And 01micko confirmed it works. So I gave it a try.
I am not sure if it would have needed special ./configure. I just configured it with ./configure --prefix=/usr
If it needs puppy spesific options....I recompile it. But here it is for testing.

What you get. Working Help > Help Contents to some applications more. I tested that Abiword Help started to work.
I dont care much of working Help inside the app.

But...Now the applications File > Open File shows the mounted drives in the panel and that is nice addition.

Test this glib first with pfix=ram or with dedicated save file. I havent tested this yet long.... and my configure might need more tuning.
Attachments
glib_DEV-2.24.2.pet
(178.19 KiB) Downloaded 709 times

jim3630

#1012 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Playdayz first announced Lucid Puppy way to get application help button to work for Abiword...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77295

Then Jemimah showed the way to patch glib. And 01micko confirmed it works. So I gave it a try.
I am not sure if it would have needed special ./configure. I just configured it with ./configure --prefix=/usr
If it needs puppy spesific options....I recompile it. But here it is for testing.

What you get. Working Help > Help Contents to some applications more. I tested that Abiword Help started to work.
I dont care much of working Help inside the app.

But...Now the applications File > Open File shows the mounted drives in the panel and that is nice addition.

Test this glib first with pfix=ram or with dedicated save file. I havent tested this yet long.... and my configure might need more tuning.
installed glib and abiword during brief test seems to work as advertized.

pemasu

#1013 Post by pemasu »

PupShutdown with Powerbutton popup and separate external 4s popup how long it takes before autoshut down starts. Looks great.

Thank you Radky and thank you Shinobar for the initiative. Happy Eastern.

pemasu

#1014 Post by pemasu »

I gave a go for Rox right click pics scaling and autoadjusting contrast-color-gamma.
The pet gives you scale to 640-800-1024-autoadjust Rox right clicks for jpeg, png and bmp.
You can select several pics and mass scale them. The scaled and autoadjusted pics are stored in /root-my-documents/images...under separate subfolders.
Scale to 640...800...1024 uses quality compression 90 % and autoadjust 100% quality.
I compiled aaphoto to do the real work.

The base of this pet is from this thread. I have reconfigured and renamed the stuff...but the basic idea came from that thread. Thank you Smokey01 and Jrb.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 9aa137db99

You get also aaphoto commandline tool. I liked that easy autoadjusting feature with Rox right click.
Auto Adjust Photo tries to give a solution for the automatic color correction of photos. This means setting the contrast, color balance, saturation and gamma levels of the image by analization.
http://log69.com/aaphoto_en.html

Yep...I know there is pics2cale by Vovchick and scale2jpg by rcrsn51. So why did you bring up this third opportunity ?
Because I had it in Snow Puppy and I used aaphoto in it and I thought those previous useful Rox right clicks should not be abandoned. So I compiled latest aaphoto and recreated the Rox right click framework and added autoadjust feature which does not loose the pic quality. So you can first autoadjust and then scale if there is need...or use aaphoto from commandline...or install pics2scale or scale2jpg.

Or install this pet and use it.
Attachments
scale-autocorrect-images-rox-right-click-0.0.1.pet
(37.89 KiB) Downloaded 567 times

jim3630

#1015 Post by jim3630 »

jim3630 wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
Tman wrote: Jim, try modifying /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to the following:

#!/bin/sh
yaf-splash -bg red -fg white -placement center -timeout 2 -text "loading.." &
killall firefox 2> /dev/null
sleep 0.3
exec /usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
And then create an icon entry for defaultbrowser, or just type it in the terminal.
Tman thanks for the help. on this startup of ff and closing problem is gone.
this has happened in the past with other pups but don't recall why occurred.
will keep your fix saved away.
Tman
after some time without the problem today it returned and applying your fix it worked!

------------
seems only one having this problem. like to know what am doing wrong here.
pemasu

do you know if this is something I did or your pup?

Tman

#1016 Post by Tman »

jim3630 wrote: Tman

Hi Jim,

You're not doing anything wrong...it's a Firefox issue and it is not limited to just Firefox in linux. My work computer has Firefox11 in Windows XP and when I close Firefox and try to reopen it again immediately, I get a pop-up that says Firefox didn't close properly. It appears to me that the main reason is that Firefox is taking its sweet time unloading things after you close it.

Sorry for the slow response, I have not been on this forum as much lately. Too much work :( ... and I've been trying out other distros as well.
Last edited by Tman on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 13:34, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#1017 Post by pemasu »

I have had zero problems with Firefox...which does not exclude Exprimo level problem. But atm...I dont know. None other so far has posted about your kind problem with Firefox. I havent had ever need to kill firefox process.

Edit. Saw above post just know. Of course there could be something which delays firefox shutting down. Dunno. Just brainstorming while translating with MoManager the menu to finnish.

jim3630

#1018 Post by jim3630 »

Tman wrote:
jim3630 wrote: Tman

Hi Jim,

You're not doing anything wrong...it's a Firefox issue and it is not limited to just Firefox in linux. My work computer has Firefox11 in Windows XP and when I close Firefox and try to reopen it again immediately, I get a pop-up that says Firefox didn't close properly. It appears to me that the main reason is that Firefox is taking its sweet time unloading things after you close it.

Sorry for the slow response, I have not been on this forum as much lately. Too much work :( ... and I've been trying out other distros as well.
Tman
interesting it happens on windoz as well. thanks again for the fix and what out for that work thing. :)

jim3630

#1019 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:I have had zero problems with Firefox...which does not exclude Exprimo level problem. But atm...I dont know. None other so far has posted about your kind problem with Firefox. I havent had ever need to kill firefox process.

Edit. Saw above post just know. Of course there could be something which delays firefox shutting down. Dunno. Just brainstorming while translating with MoManager the menu to finnish.
pemasu

lately have been using ff almost exclusively without problems. there was a thread i found last time this happened months maybe a year ago. will keep looking for that thread but iirc consensus was a ff problem rather than user induced problem.

jakfish

#1020 Post by jakfish »

Running a current version of Thunderbird, in dpup exprimo, I often get the same sort of firefox error ("Thunderbird is already running, please...")

I just have to wait or restart X--I can not replicate this problem with a Thunderbird/Win7 setup.

Jake