Lost UTube and other video playing

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

Lost UTube and other video playing

#1 Post by tytower »

I logged into UTube with my Facebook username etc and since then my video has ceased playing in Firefox and in Monkey. It runs OK externally if I play a video on file but not one over the net.

Something has been altered . The rest of the page loads fine but the video screen remains black , no play button or download spinning wheel . Adblock is turned off
Last edited by tytower on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

OK
I saw something when running Monkey which said "Java has been disabled for my protection" ?? WTF

Who gave permission to alter anything on my machine?
How was anything altered on my machine ?
What is built in to enable mozzilla to do this?

and how the hell do I stop that.

I ask these questions because I downloaded a new Java jre 1.6.0_31 (mine was 1.6.0_30) and that fixed the problem in Monkey but not Firefox.

Obviously Mozzilla are able to disable my machine any time they choose . I do not want that to be ever possible . How can I stop it ? anyone know how its done?
Last edited by tytower on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

#3 Post by tytower »

Also somewhere in Firefox I can change the version of JRE used .
Can anyone point me to where this is . I have been into the preferences and about:config and the Firefox files without seeing it so far . I have also skimmed the mozilla site to no avail

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

About the Java alert in Firefox, this is the page the warning references:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p80
Who is affected?
All Firefox users who have installed the Java plugin, JRE versions below 1.6.0_31 or between 1.7.0 and 1.7.0_2.
I'm not sure there's any way to get Firefox to 'ignore' the Java version (haven't tried re-enabling it after FF disables it, though), and as far as I know, there's no way to tell Firefox which JRE to use, if you use more than one.

Are you sure you don't have a previous/outdated version of the Java plugin in your Firefox plugins directory?

Also, you might want to use Mozilla's Plugin Check page to make sure all of your plugins (well, at least the ones the site knows) are up-to-date.

Mozilla's taking a proactive stance, I guess, because a large number of people out there don't bother to update their plugins, and things like older versions of Flash and Java do have some notable vulnerabilities. If you don't like them possibly disabling these plugins, though, you might write to Mozilla (or use their forums) and see if there's a way you can disable the behavior.

As for the video problem, are you using a Javascript blocker like NoScript?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

tytower

#5 Post by tytower »

Its damn annoying - Even Texas holdem poker on facebook won't play until I get this fixed !!

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

The black thing happens sometimes to me too. A mystery
It sometimes help to do restart of xorg. What is going on?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Ty, ahh.. which Pup, FF and Flash version we talk'n here? As Makoto questioned- NoScript?

tytower

#8 Post by tytower »

OK thanks

I am not using a script blocker .Depending on how you see addblock-lite.
I do use that and I have tried disabling it on the video's page ,frame and web site .

ie.disabled on utube.com

My plugins are up to date as far as I am aware .

In Java there is a desktop console to find and add or remove java versions used by the browser

go to chosen download directory/jre1.6.0_31/plugin/desktop/ and click in sun_java.desktop

I have tried here too without success in firefox's case

Semme - I am using Puppy 5.31 Firefox is 11.0 , and the built in check for updates button under "about" tells me I am up to date
Flash player is 11.1.r102 but that dates to 11/01/11

Semme your right in between me atm -the Update checker tells me thats the latest version ?

Nooby - that black screen is only in the video frame -whereas you should get a play icon and then a whirling wheel I get nothing , consistently on any site that opens up a video window . Note that changing the java version and then using monkey browser on the same machine the videos play fine
Last edited by tytower on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 20:34, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Sans blocker- my.... OK, I see.. must have been a late edit..

Oh yeah, your Flash is outdated. Any reason you're not running their latest?

Tell me too- Monkey's what.. some type of media interface?

tytower

#10 Post by tytower »

Monkey is a smaller size mozilla browser that comes with Puppy--SeaMonkey that should be

despite numerous (10) tries I have not been able to install a later version of flashplayer ,using yum ,rpm,targz,and apt versions available I have not been able to install it properly afaik.
EDIT got this done finally see below
Last edited by tytower on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

OK, thanks.

As far as Flash, the updater's wrong. The latest is 11.2r202.

I'll send a link.. Backup your existing libflashplayer.so then dwnld'n unpack mine. Rename it libflashplayer.so and have it overwrite your current one in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Goto YouTube and try- you don't need Java for web-based videos to work, just JS'n Flash (and not necessarily Flash).

Oh if you can, dump your cache before that retry..

tytower

#12 Post by tytower »

Thanks semme I'll give it a try
Thanks also Makoto. I went to the blocking page and I am concerned this can be done on my machine without my consent. I noted this line on their blog

http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2012/04/ ... king-java/

Affected versions of the Java plugin will be disabled unless a user makes an explicit choice to keep it enabled at the time they are notified of the block being applied.

I have not yet found any way of unblocking this

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Yeah, give it a go. If it doesn't pan out, please... firefox -safe-mode and continue in safe mode. Retry a tube..

After all this open about:config'n toggle this entry: extensions.blocklist.enabled
Last edited by Semme on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

#14 Post by tytower »

Semme - I'm just a bit sus on your suggestion -don't mean to offend but ,you send me a download site by PM for a 6Mb plus file .
http://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/ant940/ant940.htm
I search around and find other sites to d/l the same file ? with sizes much smaller
http://www.esoft.web.id/internet-tools/ ... y-web.html

So I wonder what else is attached to your file that increases its size?

OK that blocklist enabled sounds good at this point Thanks

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

Hey.. go dwnld the latest from Adobe then and extract only the file you need- libflashplayer.so.

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

Nooby - that black screen is only in the video frame -whereas you should get a play icon and then a whirling wheel I get nothing , consistently on any site that opens up a video window . Note that changing the java version and then using monkey browser on the same machine the videos play fine
Nope that is how it looks like for me too when it happens.
Every youtube I test just show the black screen.

Sadly I fail to remember exactly when this happen.
Si see no pattern to it. I usually just try to get rid of the block
by restarting the xorg. Sometimes that work and sometimes not .

I have noscript on my and have accepted youtube and
those sites that usually are related to it.

And most of them time it just works but when the error or lock happens
then nothing helps.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

Yes Semme I did that and followed instructions and got it installed and recognised by firefox . So I now have Version 11.2.202.228 to be exact.

No change !!! Bugger

Semme the ".so" file I downladed came out extracted as 17 Meg
Yours came out as ....17Meg Sorry to doubt but you have to be careful in these things

tytower

#18 Post by tytower »

At this point. hate to say it but. I think I will dump Firefox and stick with SeaMonkey or re-investigate the old Opera or other browsers . This behaviour with mozilla is not acceptable no matter what their justification is.
End of story.

Semmes suggestions of toggling "blocklists-enabled" in about:config did nothing
Also the start firefox in "-safe-mode" did not work

I also tried nooby's suggestion of restarting the xserver and that closes the internet connection and reconnects it if you have it set on automatic load on bootup. -that did not work for me.

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Ty, does Slacko ship with a particular version of FF or did you have to grab it from the repos?

If the latter here.. which version did you start with and how'd you get to eleven?
Can you recall the build you might've installed.. such as i486 or i686..?

Does Slacko offer your system an updated graphics driver or not?

Have you adjusted any of these global settings?

Is it only when you're signed in?

tytower

#20 Post by tytower »

Damn - a pet all set up only put on 3 days ago for the flashplayer update

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77257