Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DaveS

#2141 Post by DaveS »

How would I update a FULL install from 13 to 16? Is it possible or do I have to start again?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Geoffrey

Re: Desktop

#2142 Post by Geoffrey »

sszindian wrote:A minor thing but I'm sure you want it 'right.'

The desktop 'pop-up' notices on config of system upon start... If one's using Pwidgets, some of the pop-up gets 'stuck' in the Pwidgets (Clock area only). To get rid of it you ahve to move the clock slightly, it goes away but is not a nice first display.

>>>---Indian------>
I don't see pwidgets in the package manager, I know there were some problems with pwidgets when using xfce, gray has a modified version of pwidgets in racy NOP.

I tried the 2.4.0 version and I can't even get a clock to show and if the wallpaper is changed it don't update it correctly,

in NOP the desktop settings wallpaper changer is linked to fixwidgets which refreshs the widgets, in Saluki the changer appears not to be linked to fixwidgets.

if pwidgets is used then the notifications need to relocated to a different area of the screen using the notification settings in the control panel,

it also needs a delay so that the desktop is loaded before running or refreshing the the widgets,

this is the reason there is the notification in the clock, as pwidgets does not have true transparency and captures the screen for it's background image.

jemimah

#2143 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:How would I update a FULL install from 13 to 16? Is it possible or do I have to start again?
The PUI should take care of it.

jemimah

#2144 Post by jemimah »

gcmartin wrote:@Jemimah, et al.

This, I believe is slightly beyond the scope of where we are currently, but its been one that I've wondered about for years.

When a distro is created, is there some way to determine/list the currently installed subsystems-packages that were included at system-build time. Don't know if something currently exist or if there is some way the builder would include a list/log of some sort.

There may be general use of such a system file in providing current information about its packages currently installed.

Hope this helps
The package lists are in /root/*-installed-packages.

jemimah

#2145 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:Here is custom builder 8. This one can copy your dotfiles to the new puplet. Would you guys test it out and provide feedback?
It works really nice.

Only a small funny thing. Building the zdrv.sfs when you get to choose your new kernel pet, you can not bailout. Cancel gets you to retry and cancel there gets you the selection dialog. :)
Closing the windows, ditto.
This is with the luki iso mounted. If you unmount it, the program finally drops out.
Found it, Thanks!

jemimah

#2146 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
sszindian wrote:A minor thing but I'm sure you want it 'right.'

The desktop 'pop-up' notices on config of system upon start... If one's using Pwidgets, some of the pop-up gets 'stuck' in the Pwidgets (Clock area only). To get rid of it you ahve to move the clock slightly, it goes away but is not a nice first display.

>>>---Indian------>
I don't see pwidgets in the package manager, I know there were some problems with pwidgets when using xfce, gray has a modified version of pwidgets in racy NOP.

I tried the 2.4.0 version and I can't even get a clock to show and if the wallpaper is changed it don't update it correctly,

in NOP the desktop settings wallpaper changer is linked to fixwidgets which refreshs the widgets, in Saluki the changer appears not to be linked to fixwidgets.

if pwidgets is used then the notifications need to relocated to a different area of the screen using the notification settings in the control panel,

it also needs a delay so that the desktop is loaded before running or refreshing the the widgets,

this is the reason there is the notification in the clock, as pwidgets does not have true transparency and captures the screen for it's background image.
Hmm, yeah I'm not sure if I can support pwidgets. Did you know that cairo-dock has loads of cool widgets and you can run them without running the dock?

jemimah

#2147 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded Saluki-017. I feel like there will only be one more RC before the release.

Pete22

LxLauncher Wow

#2148 Post by Pete22 »

:shock: Its wonderful jemimah! 8) Changing colors by tab is really cool.

I noticed that the last two tabs were the same color orange. Was that by design? or could there be one more color added?

Can the directory that opens for you to choose a wallpaper default to the background directory? Beginners will not know where to find them otherwise.

And Gurluki and Skuluki sound Sound Great.!!!!

Pete

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2149 Post by Lobster »

Any changes to documentation add here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki

comments section should still be open to all :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#2150 Post by James C »

Saluki-017 ..... looking pretty good.

James C

#2151 Post by James C »

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 017

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nouveau

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Computer
Summary
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory 1033MB (226MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 30 Mar 2012 08:25:49 PM CDT
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA8233 - VIA 8235

smokey01

#2152 Post by smokey01 »

I just tried to use Xdelta in Saluki 12 and it wouldn't let me drag and drop the old ISO onto Xdelta.

I was trying to upgrade the ISO from 16 > 17.

Even when I Copied and Paste it didn't work, neither did manually typing the file pathname.

Has this been fixed in later than version 12?

Edit: I just installed Rox and it worked so it must be a Thunar problem. It did not work perfectly though as it created a file called newfile.iso instead of luki-017.iso.

HiDeHo

#2153 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:Hmm, yeah I'm not sure if I can support pwidgets. Did you know that cairo-dock has loads of cool widgets and you can run them without running the dock?
Pwidgts is a great feature of puppy. ok so how is it possible to run cario doc widgets without the doc.
  1. I know that cario doc will not run on older computers that well. (that is why i am not including it in my build).
  2. will the cario doc widgest run ok on old computers without the doc.
  3. pwidgest runs great on old and new computers.if you know how pwidgest is linked in the racy nop puppy. or can contact the dev for how he did it. i am sure it might be possible to include.
I have noticed that the Puppy community generally people support each others projects more than other os, this is a good idea. why not pose the question on how to get pwidgest in a new post. others might happen to contribute. ideas how it can be done. I weoll leave it up to you to start a forum post on it.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 06:14, edited 2 times in total.

jim3630

#2154 Post by jim3630 »

thanks for the delta file. upgraded 016>017 manual frugal install to ext4 hdd on same hp dual p6100 without issues. broadcom wifi auto-detected by frisbee, resolution, sound everything so far works. thanks

the delta created "new iso" which I renamed to luki-017.

it did have the correct md5sum.

Geoffrey

#2155 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey01 wrote:I just tried to use Xdelta in Saluki 12 and it wouldn't let me drag and drop the old ISO onto Xdelta.

Even when I Copied and Paste it didn't work, neither did manually typing the file pathname.

Edit: I just installed Rox and it worked so it must be a Thunar problem. It did not work perfectly though as it created a file called newfile.iso instead of luki-017.iso.
Smokey I just tried to upgrade the ISO from 16 > 17 after I installed xdelta from the ppm, worked for me ok,
I just rightclicked in Thunar and use the "Show Full Path " on the files and drag the paths to the xdelta GUI

Is there a md5 checksum in the ppm?, I used this one http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... a88#225751

smokey01

#2156 Post by smokey01 »

Geoffrey wrote:
smokey01 wrote:I just tried to use Xdelta in Saluki 12 and it wouldn't let me drag and drop the old ISO onto Xdelta.

Smokey I just tried to upgrade the ISO from 16 > 17 after I installed xdelta from the ppm, worked for me ok,
I just rightclicked in Thunar and use the "Show Full Path " on the files and drag the paths to the xdelta GUI

Is there a md5 checksum in the ppm?, I used this one http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... a88#225751
It does work if you use Show Full Path but that's a bit of a pain. Rox lets you simply drag and drop which is much better.

To do a checksum right click on the ISO, properties then select the digests tab.

Geoffrey

#2157 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey01 wrote:To do a checksum right click on the ISO, properties then select the fourth tab. Can't remember what it's called as I'm back in Version 12 ATM.
:lol: to think I've been doing it the hard way, I never realized that thunar had that feature, thanks :wink:

HiDeHo

#2158 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:Custom Builder
:idea: one thing that would be handy with the custom builder is to have it look for currently installed apps user settings, addons etc and ask if want to install them. this would be an easy way to customise apps for your puppy os.
All one would need to do is
  1. create a small save file
  2. install the apps needed
  3. create settings for them
  4. run custom builder
  5. builder would detect installed apps and ask to include user settings
  6. finish build
It's sort of difficult because one wants to avoid including things like the browser cache, and any personal stuff like saved passwords and the like.

It's not all that hard to add any settings that you want to the pets you install. Plus then you won't need to redo the settings for future releases.
this is true, when building a puplet with the old re-master iso builder
  1. its best to start with a fresh save.
  2. only add things you want to include
  3. make sure all apps are not setup with user settings.
  4. clean out browser cache, history, saved passwords etc
If its not hard to add settings to a pet eg browser addons, pidgin setup with a default user for #puppylinux chat. how would i do this. is there a tutoral for it.
:idea: a work around would be to include a start script that linked to an html page including the recommendations for the os, apps, addons etc.

sszindian

To my previous post

#2159 Post by sszindian »

jemimah:

Pwidgets 2.4.0 works very well in Saluki... I really don't see where any further support on your behalf would be required!

To fix the problem all that would be necessary to do is have your 'pop-up notices' upon startup.... come down the CENTER of the screen instead of the R/H side of the screen where pwidgets resides.... yes/no??

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

smokey01

#2160 Post by smokey01 »

Geoffrey wrote:
smokey01 wrote:To do a checksum right click on the ISO, properties then select the fourth tab. Can't remember what it's called as I'm back in Version 12 ATM.
:lol: to think I've been doing it the hard way, I never realized that thunar had that feature, thanks :wink:
It's another nice little feature that jemimah has added as it wasn't there in Version 12.

There are many undocumented features. Each time I go exploring I find something I haven't noticed before.

There are some really nice things about Thunar and Rox. I wish there was a file manager that could do all the good stuff combined.

Cheers.