Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
shinobar

A4paper

#181 Post by shinobar »

Thanks to charlie's information, I propose a profile file /etc/rc.d/a4paper.

Code: Select all

#31dec10 shinobar: ghostscript paper size
case "${LANG:2:3}" in
_US|_CA|_MX) :;; 
*) export GS_OPTIONS="-sPAPERSIZE=a4";;
esac
(Attached a pet for your convenience. You need to reboot PC, or go down to the console and type 'exit' then 'xwin'.)
Then the ps2pdf will create proper size of pdf without options. Of course depends on your locale.
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

pemasu

#182 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Shinobar. I will add this to the distro.

charlie6

#183 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
-->Thanks for the a4 postc-script viewer pet ! Works like a charm !
Just to mention that there is a mistake in my previous post - please pardon me :oops:
Checking the ps2pdf man page, the ps2pdf options is -sPAPERSIZE=a4 instead of -sPAPERSIZE#4.
The pet comes with #4.
-->Thanks also to shinobar for his a4-paper pet !
Charlie

pemasu

#184 Post by pemasu »

charlie6. I have reuploaded the pet. I will add the /etc/profile.d/a4paper also to the distro.

charlie6

#185 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
launching /Menu/Calculate/Project Management - Gnome Planner: clicking on Preview returns the following comment in terminal:

Code: Select all

# planner 
wbs
name
start
finish
work
duration
slack
cost
assigned_to
complete
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkTreeView::odd-row-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x821fbc0)" of type `GString'

<----HERE CLICKING ON PREVIEW --->

** (evince:23567): WARNING **: Error launching previewer: Failed to execute child process "evince-previewer" (No such file or directory)
1. Something missing to evince ?
2. Gtk-Message: worth worrying about it?

Charlie

pemasu

#186 Post by pemasu »

charlie6. You get evince-previewer error out and preview working by creating symlink from /usr/bin/evince to /usr/bin/evince-previewer.
I have added this for next version.
About those gtk errors. I dont know about them. Someone knowledge with gtk could tell more....

Jim1911

USB Logitech Receiver not recognized

#187 Post by Jim1911 »

My usb Logitech receiver for the mouse occasionally is not recognized. It works fine after removing and reinstalling the receiver. Could this be a timing problem? If so, where should a delay be placed?

Otherwise, 5.X.3.2.11 is working great on three computers. The problem only occurs on my main desktop computer.

Thank you for experimenting with the latest kernels and other software, and for providing your experiences to the other developers which helps improve all distributions.

Great, :D
Jim

pemasu

#188 Post by pemasu »

About logitehc usb receiver. It is new feature. It is possible that the support will be better with kernel updates. The usb plugin timing is beyound my knowledge. It is my hunch only that the usb receiver kernel module just doesnt work yet 100 % efficiently. I still would like to stick with this kernel for awhile. When the 3.3 kernel matures I will compile it, but not yet.

gcmartin

#189 Post by gcmartin »

pemasu wrote:report-video is somewhat broken...at least until you run xorgwizard and probe - choose again your needed driver. Then report-video works more reliably.

I dont much trust report-video reports.
Did "Reprot-video" get replaced with TaZoC's "report-video-glx"? Seems he addressed some key items (I think). I also remember that Barry added it to WOOF....I think.

Does this addressed reflecting accurate status?

Here to help

pemasu

#190 Post by pemasu »

Nah. straight to X ....in console....report-video ---> "is" ....in console report-video-glx ---> "is"
xorgwizard ....back to X....report-video ---> "intel".....in console report-video-glx ---> "intel"
Checking.....report-video-glx is symlink to report-video.

Hmm...slacko...same symlink...racy ....just report-video which launches report-video-glx
Dpup and Slacko has version 0.6.1 and Racy...which I tested had version 0.6.
Now I remember that I picked up report-video from slacko after 01micko posted about his fix for driver detection. But it is not enough in Dpup.

Conclusion. Without using xorgwizard report-video is broken.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#191 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote: Checking.....report-video-glx is symlink to report-video-glx.
should be: report-video-glx is symlink to report-video (I know, it's what you mean, not what you write) :)

pemasu

#192 Post by pemasu »

Heh. Fixed. Somebody even reads what I write :D

charlie6

#193 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Here tried install of sylpheed_portable-3.1.3-cryptofs0.6.0-bogofilter1.2.2-dpup.pet from exprimo pets repo.
Install dialog box told OK.
But I could not type a password in the last dialog box asking for it: not possible to enter any character in the fields.
Who else has tried sylpheed_portable ?
Cheers, Charlie

James C

#194 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 5.X.3.2.11 on an old P4 test box. All basics working and correct on initial boot. Had that infamous "pink box" ....... took care of that quickly. :) Looks good.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.2.11 on Mon 2 Apr 2012

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: is

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
Actually using the Intel driver.

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 512MB (160MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 02 Apr 2012 01:03:21 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Attachments
Exprimo 5.X.3.2.11.png
(53.71 KiB) Downloaded 538 times

Volhout

Dpup Exprimo

#195 Post by Volhout »

Hi Pesamu,

I have a very simple question: can you explain in a few lines wat exprimo is ? I read in the macpup thread that it has e17. From the kernell version I understand it is for newer PC's only. Is there a target audience ?

Maybe you can write a few lines in post 1 of this thread ?

Regards,

Harm

pemasu

#196 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo has 3 lines now. The generic kernel 2.6.39.4 version which is good for old hw.
Then there is 3.1.10 kernel version with core 2 and up optimization. Good for somewhat newer hardware.
And this thread with experimental kernel compiles. Usually I grab the latest kernel and test how it works.
All versions have user friendliness with many ways improved. I use laptop and that is why the laptop support has been also priority. I have extensive rox right click support and I improve it when I encounter the need or get report of missing property.
I have as large wireless driver support as kernel compile produces and updated firmwares for all kernel versions....which differ because of that what woof offers....for 3.X kernels Barry K has accepted my updates though. But I have used the most suitable firmware pool for the kernel version.
Also I have proprietary Broadcom wireless wl driver in all but this experimenta line preinstalled

But as usual. Download it - test it - like it - or forget it.........
You can have kennel of puppies as frugal installations. I encourage people to test different versions...

pemasu

#197 Post by pemasu »

Hi,
Here tried install of sylpheed_portable-3.1.3-cryptofs0.6.0-bogofilter1.2.2-dpup.pet from exprimo pets repo.
Install dialog box told OK.
But I could not type a password in the last dialog box asking for it: not possible to enter any character in the fields.
Who else has tried sylpheed_portable ?
In fact it accepts the input...it just does not show anything. I have used it happily with that knowledgy. I got it working with imap4 configuration ok.
So....just type the same passwd to both boxes and it takes the input ok....lol
I did use Barry Kaulers created pet and if I remember right...I added some missing stuff from debian repo.
In this mixup the passwd box lost the masqueraded characters...when you type. But the app itself works ok.
You could call this invisible passwd box as extra security. Lol... :D

DC

NFS

#198 Post by DC »

re: NFS

Hi pemasu,
I've been trying to figure out the NFS differences between Puppy 528 series and the latest built puppies.
The Puppy 528's mount NFS very easily including your snowpuppy 005 which I loaded to see if any of your past flavors of puppy worked.
All the latest built puppies will not mount at all.
(Including wary, racy, slacko and saluki)
I have tried the latest builds with NFS common utilities but can not get them working.

I'm guessing its something to do with the way the kernel is built/configured.
Would it be easy to add whatever extra NFS configuration as part of a kernel build or can it be added as a module later?

Any informed comment will be most welcome

thanks

DC

pemasu

#199 Post by pemasu »

NFS support is new territory for me.
I attached the pic how I have compiled the kernel for nfs support. If you see something missing...I will check what I can do. At least my next experimental kernel could have the modification.

But...It can be that the kernel has nfs support enough. It might be that the apps and libs needed to use might need update.

DC

#200 Post by DC »

re:NFS

Hi pemasu,
thanks for the quick reply, I'm don't know what might be missing either

I've had a look at the nfs config in a frugal 525 puppy k2.6.33.2 the only obvious difference I can see is rpc options.

I'll post a pic tomorrow if it helps. ( can't remember how at the moment)
I've run out of time tonight

thanks again

DC
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous