Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#2061 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:No, you just have to load them once, then they'll be remembered.
Actually there is a little, mostly annoying, bug related to that. SFSs still show as loaded even when they are deleted. Maybe is a good idea to check at boot if the SFSs are still present and update.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

einar

how about Concy Lua ?

#2062 Post by einar »

This looked cool, found it at the bottom of the :My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours! thread. its Conky Lua and can we have it ? please ? ;)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=1815

Found more, a post from Battleshooter with pets to 5.28 :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 232#576232

ImageImage

HiDeHo

#2063 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:SFSes are handled almost exactly like pets. Click to install, install/uninstall from ppm. No more confusing boot manager, no sfs limits. Since there's not a limit, there's no need to ask the user which sfses they want for this session.
great i understand its the load sfs on fly feature that handles this. sfs will not install in saluki, like pets, but unable to be removed again.
jemimah wrote:The adrive is special. It is the only sfs that loads in the layer above the pup_sfs. Adrive and Zdrive are the only sfses that will be autoloaded if found. For other sfses, just click on them to load them. You only use the custom builder for the adrive, for other sfses, you use the Sfs builder, or build them by hand.
can teh custom sfs builder edit previous adrive sfs files.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

HiDeHo

#2064 Post by HiDeHo »

Thanks all for your answering my questions. i see how things work.

i remember from previous puppy experience that if an sfs is installed inside the os it cant be removed like pets. so I prefer not to do that. encase i need to uninstall again.

For my saluki base
  • ** do you have a list of files you put in adrive and zdrive.
    ** also are the apps tweaks and updates you make in adrive / zdrive available in ppm
    ** do things like added desktop backgrounds, homepages, custom desktop apps etc belong in the adrive, zdrive or luki.sfs
    ** currently i dont see an iso builder or remaster tool included. is this feature available in the custom builder. or how would i make the final iso
what i want to setup is a seamless running full featured puppy os with ease of use. I need to start building an adrive.sfs then things will become clear to me.

one last thing
i dont see a remaster tool or iso remaster.

James C

#2065 Post by James C »

Upgraded another frugal install from 014 to 016...... no problems to speak of.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 016

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
# glxgears
8519 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1703.717 FPS
9667 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1933.240 FPS
9680 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1935.996 FPS
9883 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1976.497 FPS
9948 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1989.484 FPS

Ray MK

#2066 Post by Ray MK »

JFYI -

Saluki016 seems to work fine on EeePc 701SD and Emachines E732 laptops.

Overall fantastic puppy with outstanding collection of pets and sfs's in the repo.

Previous luki's were fine on 10yr old Acer too - sure this is also the case with 016. Testing soon.

Many thanks to Jemimah and all for Saluki and very best regards
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

elroy

#2067 Post by elroy »

HiDeHo wrote: For my saluki base
  • ** do you have a list of files you put in adrive and zdrive.
    ** also are the apps tweaks and updates you make in adrive / zdrive available in ppm
    ** do things like added desktop backgrounds, homepages, custom desktop apps etc belong in the adrive, zdrive or luki.sfs
    ** currently i dont see an iso builder or remaster tool included. is this feature available in the custom builder. or how would i make the final iso
The best way to learn how to use the custom-builder is to play with it. It’s pretty intuitive. And you’re not going to ruin anything by tinkering with it.

You can download the default adrive packages here - http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/saluki-d ... ges.tar.xz - unzip them and you’ll have a directory full of pets. You can then add or remove as you wish. This step is up to you, whatever your preference may be. You can even add SFS files to this directory if you wish. You could even put a different kernel in the directory as the custom-builder gives you the option of using a different kernel. Any tweaks and updates that have been made are available in the repo. You can download direct from http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/ or you can use the package manager (from the ppm you can choose to install or to just download the pet - just download and move it to the directory you created full of pets). If you're going to use the ppm, remember to update the package lists.

When you run the custom-builder you’ll copy the files in this directory to the custom-adrive directory that gets created. It’ll give you the option of downloading the files from the repo, or copying them from a local location. Another nifty thing about the custom-builder is it’ll check for missing dependencies and will automatically download these if you choose to do so.

Customizing things such as ‘desktop backgrounds, homepages, custom desktop apps etc’ can be done when you’re presented with a file manager window during the custom-builder process. It’ll be labeled ‘Edit Adrive’ to make manual modifications. Make your mods before pressing continue. If you want to save some of your personal settings, open another file manager window, go to the menu and choose View/Show Hidden Files. Copy everything in the root directory and paste it into the Edit Adrive root directory. You can do the same for Frisbee settings by going to /usr/local/Frisbee. Backgrounds can be found at /usr/share/backgrounds. If you're going to distribute your distro to others you may want to be choosy about which custom settings you include from your root directory, and certainly not include any Frisbee settings.

At the end of the process the custom-builder gives you the option of creating an ISO of your build and even allows you to rename the distro. There really isn’t much of a need for remastering; this does the same thing but takes a radically different (and simpler) approach.

If you choose to create an ISO, the zdrive gets created automatically for you by the custom-builder. It also gives you the option of creating a zdrive that targets just your machine/peripherals, or a broader support base in the event you need your build to run on a variety of machines.

If you're going to create a custom adrive/ISO in 016, there is a bug you need to keep in mind, see - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 708#614708 It's a pretty safe bet jemimah will have that taken care of for 017.

HiDeHo

#2068 Post by HiDeHo »

Custom builder
the saluki custom builder seemed vaguely familiar to me. then i remember the old woffy builder i tested but never used to build my other puppy os.
  1. How do i include browser addons in the new adrive.sfs file. This is one advantage of the traditional way of building puppy os with remastering. :idea: could build a custom sfs or pet with addons included (I would need to learn how)
  2. how would i add a 2nd panel to my adrive sfs or is this done in the save file only.
  3. can i get sfs to pet converter for saluki. this will be good as sfs files i added where built in to /opt directory.
  4. generally what compression type do you recommend usint for the saluki.sfs. file.
  5. :D I like the feature that probes the current adrive giving options to remove unwanted stuff and downloads any new versions. this is a cool thing.
i now see that the custom builder is not used to create custom sfs files, so the sfs builder is what i need to try if i am going to build my own sfs files

elroy

#2069 Post by elroy »

HiDeHo wrote:Custom builder
  1. How do i include browser addons in the new adriv.sfs file. This is one advantage of the traditional way of building puppy os with remastering. idea can i build a custom sfs or pet with addons included (I would need to learn how) idea
  2. can i rename a custom build adrive.sfs to use as a normal sfs or is the sfs builder what i need to try
  3. how would i add a 2nd panel to my adrive sfs or is this done in the save file only.
1. I don't use browser extensions, so I can't answer this one. There is a PET available in the repo that allows re-mastering in a more traditional way if you want to go that route. In the ppm it's located under puppy-saluki/System/pupremaster-1-saluki.

2. Yes, you could rename it mystuff.sfs, or something other than adrv_luki_xxx.sfs, and load the SFS on the fly. I wouldn't recommend it if you included a kernel pet, though. It would make more sense, and be faster, to create a directory with the pets you want in your custom SFS. Then back out of the directory and right click on the directory folder icon, then choose 'Convert to SFS package'.

3. Before you run the custom-builder, create a 2nd panel (Control Panel - Desktop - Xfce Panel Preferences) if you haven't done so already. If you use the adrive as intended the 2nd panel will be there. If you rename the adrive.sfs and load on the fly as a regular SFS, it will not be shown.

Of course, all of this assumes you're using XFCE and Thunar.

jemimah

Re: how about Concy Lua ?

#2070 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote:This looked cool, found it at the bottom of the :My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours! thread. its Conky Lua and can we have it ? please ? ;)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=1815

Found more, a post from Battleshooter with pets to 5.28 :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 232#576232

ImageImage

I uploaded a conky pet with lua support. If someone wants to setup a nice config file I'll add it to the package.

gcmartin

#2071 Post by gcmartin »

elroy wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:For my saluki base
  • ** do you have a list of files you put in adrive and zdrive. ...
The best way to learn how to use the custom-builder is to play with it. ...
Just a comment.

"... play with it ..." This is NOT the best way to learn. But, what you offer is what, I feel, the best way to learn. That is I feel a document should exist to give a start on a goal and the steps to achieve it.

By reading (or viewing) a structured approach consistent with the artist's/author's view allows all a base to which we can spring-board from.

Then, any questions arising from the spring-board can be fed back into a document which expands the knowledge necessary to properly use something.

I want to THANK @Elroy because he does, indeed, provide us with a useful approach that some can use as a spring-board to launching into the distro's custom-builder.

Thanks for the insight, as, I find it useful.

jemimah

#2072 Post by jemimah »

New pets
Pcrypt - encryption
Pudd - disk copy
bleachbit - system cleanup
samba - file/print server
gtk-youtube-viewer
assaultcube - game

gcmartin

#2073 Post by gcmartin »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jemimah wrote: Adrive and Zdrive are the only sfses that will be autoloaded if found. For other sfses, just click on them to load them.
So if I want a setup with OpenOffice and printer support, I have to load those sfs packages at EVERY bootup?
This is a very good question for understanding.

I run a LIve media (CD?DVD) system. I currently have 1 save-session on Saluki16. Each time I boot, after the initial boot, is the Adrive brought into play each time, or is it only used on the initial boot before the first save-session, then is unused there-after?

Thanks in advnace

pemasu

#2074 Post by pemasu »

Jemimah. Could you upload the devx sfs 015 md5sum. Just to be sure...

gcmartin

#2075 Post by gcmartin »

1. Entered PPM from Menu>System
  2. clicked Update ...
  3. clicked Network
This is what is shown for SAMBA Its a very dated version.

Question
Is this what we are to see?

Check PM
Attachments
PPM showing old SAMBA.png
PPM after update, shows an OLD version of SAMBA
(87.6 KiB) Downloaded 936 times

elroy

#2076 Post by elroy »

gcmartin wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
jemimah wrote: Adrive and Zdrive are the only sfses that will be autoloaded if found. For other sfses, just click on them to load them.
So if I want a setup with OpenOffice and printer support, I have to load those sfs packages at EVERY bootup?
This is a very good question for understanding.

I run a LIve media (CD?DVD) system. I currently have 1 save-session on Saluki16. Each time I boot, after the initial boot, is the Adrive brought into play each time, or is it only used on the initial boot before the first save-session, then is unused there-after?

Thanks in advnace
The adrive and zdrive are loaded everytime that they are found with or without a save-file being present.

Any other SFS loaded-on-the-fly, so long as it is not unloaded before reboot/saving, is reloaded upon a reboot if a save-file was created/updated. If a save file isn’t created/updated, then yes, you would have to reload any other SFSs that you wish to use.

scabz

#2077 Post by scabz »

I am having problems with ndiswrapper everything works fine until this point

Code: Select all

ndiswrapper -i xxxxxxx.inf
depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

pemasu

#2078 Post by pemasu »

I suppose it is because ndiswrapper module is not compiled yet....

scabz

#2079 Post by scabz »

trying to compile ndiswrapper this is what i get devx and kernel sources are loaded

# make uninstall
rm -f /usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8
rm -f /usr/share/man/man8/loadndisdriver.8
make -C driver uninstall
make[1]: Entering directory `/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver'
Makefile:23: *** Kernel tree not found - please set KBUILD to configured kernel.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver'
make: *** [uninstall] Error 2

Geoffrey

#2080 Post by Geoffrey »

scabz wrote:trying to compile ndiswrapper this is what i get devx and kernel sources are loaded

# make uninstall
rm -f /usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8
rm -f /usr/share/man/man8/loadndisdriver.8
make -C driver uninstall
make[1]: Entering directory `/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver'
Makefile:23: *** Kernel tree not found - please set KBUILD to configured kernel.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver'
make: *** [uninstall] Error 2
Try this, it compiled for me ok.
Attachments
ndiswrapper-1.57.pet
(103.18 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
ndiswrapper_DOC-1.57.pet
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 154 times