Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#2021 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:All seems nice, yes the first start popped up again, it also has a fault, country settings appears to be broken, see image.
We just need a font that covers more languages. Does anyone know of one that's easy on the eyes?

I uploaded "unifont" to the repo, but it's kind of painful to look at for long periods.

Edit: Ok it looks like just having unifont installed solves the problem - one doesn't actually need to select it for use. Great!

James C

#2022 Post by James C »

Manually upgraded my frugal install from 015 to 016. Other than having to reset the keyboard everything went smoothly.

Geoffrey

#2023 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:All seems nice, yes the first start popped up again, it also has a fault, country settings appears to be broken, see image.
We just need a font that covers more languages. Does anyone know of one that's easy on the eyes?

I uploaded "unifont" to the repo, but it's kind of painful to look at for long periods.

Edit: Ok it looks like just having unifont installed solves the problem - one doesn't actually need to select it for use. Great!
It's not the font that's the problem, but the fact that en English is listed three times and a number of the others are duplicated, worst of all there is no Australian entry :lol:

Installed GL drivers then tried Assaultcube on a new save, it loaded all dependencies, runs fine 8)

DaveS

#2024 Post by DaveS »

In general terms, FirstRun seems to be something of a nightmare compared to the old multi-page terminal set-up.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HiDeHo

#2025 Post by HiDeHo »

just want to know how you post screenshots. the automatic code provided in the forum editor does not work at all.

DaveS

#2026 Post by DaveS »

HiDeHo wrote:
just want to know how you post screenshots. the automatic code provided in the forum editor does not work at all.
First you have to upload your screenshot to a hosting service such as Tinypic, then insert a link to it in your post in this forum.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HiDeHo

#2027 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:I coudn't reproduce the wbar issue on my (very fast) machine. You might be able to fix it by adding a longer delay before starting wbar.

I don't recommend cairo dock to be installed by default unless you want your puplet to only work on fast computers.
i worked out what the problem was. the new wbar puts a start script in the startup folder. the old one needed to be added to the .xinitrc file as mentioned in the wikka post. click here i removed the line from the .xinitrc file and replaced the line wbar & in the file /root/startup/wbar-start with it now all is working ok. a slight edit.

HiDeHo

#2028 Post by HiDeHo »

DaveS wrote:First you have to upload your screenshot to a hosting service such as Tinypic, then insert a link to it in your post in this forum.
this does not work. i upload screenshot to imagebin which is a pretty standard site to use and share screenshots. it does not post them.

see this forum post click here for this and other issues i have with the forum.

James C

#2029 Post by James C »

Test....... seems to be pretty easy to add a screenshot.First time I've used TinyPic...... :lol:

Here's the code...

Code: Select all

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/rwihjb.jpg[/img]
Last edited by James C on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 09:09, edited 2 times in total.

Geoffrey

#2030 Post by Geoffrey »

HiDeHo wrote:
DaveS wrote:First you have to upload your screenshot to a hosting service such as Tinypic, then insert a link to it in your post in this forum.
this does not work. i upload screenshot to imagebin which is a pretty standard site to use and share screenshots. it does not post them.

This use of [img]<---->[/img] see example,

what ever you do don't post large images, 800x 600 should be ok, else sage will be on to you like a ton of bricks :lol:

[img]http://dellone2one.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/angry_wet_cat.jpg[/img]
edit:removed unnecessary image
Last edited by Geoffrey on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#2031 Post by peebee »

Hi Jemimah

Couple of observations on 016:

1. many thanks for providing an 015-016 delta file - but - it's not quite setup right as it doesn't find the old 015 iso and if you do drag and drop manually it created newfile.iso instead of 016.iso.....

2. if you click "blacklist module" in Boot Manager from Control Panel -> Configure Kernel modules you get a screen telling you about xdialog which is very interesting but isn't the blacklist gui.....

BTW - my previously provided Broadcom-STA pet still works fine in 016.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

HiDeHo

#2032 Post by HiDeHo »

In a previous post i asked these questions that Got missed so to clarify
EDIT wait i am still using 1.5 atm. i must update now to see current changes. EDIT

how to load sfs files at boot up
the boot up manager has been removed a handy feature.
solution can load sfs on fly or create customised adrive.sfs solution

create customised sfs for different tasks
I was wanting to have customised sfs for loading different things at boot either for different tasks etc. can i modify the saluki setup to be able to load not only adrive but bdrive.sfs, cdrive.sfs etc (or preferably rename them to office.sfs, internet.sfs etc) so if they are in /mnt/home directory they will load like adrive and zdrive do currently.
solution use the custom builder to make the sfs i want > rename it > load on fly solution

lighthouse pup loading up to 40 .sfs files at boot
an option i liked when i used lighthouse pup. They provide sfs files more than pets because of this feature. when booting and detecting files it would show what sfs files where going to boot and ask for clarification if i wanted to boot or change anything. or add others. I heard in the forums somewhere that the person who created this handy feature did not share how it was done, others can't work it out so it did not become a general feature. its just something cool and unique to Lighthouse pup i guess. just sad lighthouse pup is now on hold.
solution can load sfs on fly or create customised adrive.sfs solution

These are things I was wondering, in writing the post i came up with the solutions. can anyone expand or clarify things a bit.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

HiDeHo

#2033 Post by HiDeHo »

Geoffrey wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:

This use of Image see example, will give the pic seen here

what ever you do don't post large images, 800x 600 should be ok, else sage will be on to you like a ton of bricks :lol:

[img]http://dellone2one.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/angry_wet_cat.jpg[/img]
thanks this really belongs in my other post i mentioned click here I tried doing this standard using imagebin links the simplest and easiest way, without luck. please post further comments in the other post now.

HiDeHo

#2034 Post by HiDeHo »

James C wrote:Test....... seems to be pretty easy to add a screenshot.First time I've used TinyPic...... :lol:

Here's the code...

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/rwihjb.jpg[/img]
thansk this really belongs in my other post click here

einar

XBMC 11 Finaly Released

#2035 Post by einar »

on 24 march XBMC 11 Eden was finaly released. Hope fully it will work better with Saluki than the 10 Darma did.

http://xbmc.org/download/

Dromeno

Saluki "restore point" and "clean up" / "snap shot"

#2036 Post by Dromeno »

I am in the process slowly building my own customized saluki. Which means that I creaste 3fs, make a backup of it, then tweak something, see if it has the desired effect (reboot) and if itstill has the desired effect, make a backup of this 3fs again, and then on to the next step.

In this way I can always go back to the previous 3fs if something gets damaged. It is similar to the windows restore point.

But in windows it is easier to create /restore an ealier state of the os. I wonder if such a functionality can be built into saluki or into another puplet

On a similar level:

one of the more annoying problems in my current lucid puppy 525 2fs is that it often slowly fills up and then I have to figure out which folders are growing. Usually it is ome kind of tmp or cache. but it can also be something else. It can be time consuming to figure out which folder is the culprit.

What I would love to have is some kind of program which informs me which folders in a given folder tree, or on a drive, have been growing (shrinking) or created new (or deleted) since the last snapshot

I know there are complete backup tools like snap2 but those do more than I need

ICPUG

#2037 Post by ICPUG »

HiDeHo wrote: lighthouse pup loading up to 40 .sfs files at boot
an option i liked when i used lighthouse pup. They provide sfs files more than pets because of this feature. when booting and detecting files it would show what sfs files where going to boot and ask for clarification if i wanted to boot or change anything. or add others. I heard in the forums somewhere that the person who created this handy feature did not share how it was done, others can't work it out so it did not become a general feature. its just something cool and unique to Lighthouse pup i guess. just sad lighthouse pup is now on hold.
HiDeHo

Have you read the forum posts on how to edit the init file to use more than 6 sfs?

If finding the posts is the problem then I sympathise! The only thing to do is save interesting posts to a file and lose them on your own disk drive! It is easier to find them on your own disk drive than here! I have it somewhere.

I think Tazoc, who is ill and cannot support Lighthouse at the moment, embellished it a bit for Lighthouse but maybe a read of the Lighthouse init file will give a clue how the embellishments were done.

aarf

#2038 Post by aarf »

run in terminal from right click. the result disappears before you can read what happened

jemimah

#2039 Post by jemimah »

peebee wrote:Hi Jemimah

Couple of observations on 016:

1. many thanks for providing an 015-016 delta file - but - it's not quite setup right as it doesn't find the old 015 iso and if you do drag and drop manually it created newfile.iso instead of 016.iso.....

2. if you click "blacklist module" in Boot Manager from Control Panel -> Configure Kernel modules you get a screen telling you about xdialog which is very interesting but isn't the blacklist gui.....

BTW - my previously provided Broadcom-STA pet still works fine in 016.

Cheers
peebee
blacklist works for me, do you have the issue with pfix=ram?

jemimah

Re: Saluki "restore point" and "clean up" / "snap shot"

#2040 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:I am in the process slowly building my own customized saluki. Which means that I creaste 3fs, make a backup of it, then tweak something, see if it has the desired effect (reboot) and if itstill has the desired effect, make a backup of this 3fs again, and then on to the next step.

In this way I can always go back to the previous 3fs if something gets damaged. It is similar to the windows restore point.

But in windows it is easier to create /restore an ealier state of the os. I wonder if such a functionality can be built into saluki or into another puplet

On a similar level:

one of the more annoying problems in my current lucid puppy 525 2fs is that it often slowly fills up and then I have to figure out which folders are growing. Usually it is ome kind of tmp or cache. but it can also be something else. It can be time consuming to figure out which folder is the culprit.

What I would love to have is some kind of program which informs me which folders in a given folder tree, or on a drive, have been growing (shrinking) or created new (or deleted) since the last snapshot

I know there are complete backup tools like snap2 but those do more than I need
What about hotbackup?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49999

To track down what's hogging your save file, install gdmap, and open the directory /initrd/pup_rw. You get a nice graphical representation of all the files and directories in your save file.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(90.85 KiB) Downloaded 384 times