Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Dromeno

switch between window managers in Saluki?

#2001 Post by Dromeno »

ctrl-alt-backspace

xwin icewm

and then

ctrl-alt-backspace

xwin xfce4

does not work properly. Can.t get the wallpaper back.

One of the PuppEEEs had a whole bunch of window managers as well as netbook and laptop desktop layouts /menu settings. Is it possible to make a pet which adds this functionality in saluki?

HiDeHo

#2002 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi i installed wbar as a test fromclick here it installd ok and works fine. After the first boot or restart x wabar looks like this click here. after i click on one of the apps it reverts back to normal. click here (I would post images directly here but the editor img function given is incorect) any ideas would be useful.

Was also wondering how i can load sfs files at boot up. you have removed the boot up manager. i know i can load sfs on the fly after boot. but i want to have the ability to create customised sfs for different tasks.eg i can create an office pup with libre office and any other office apps i want. a media sfs with all media apps such as vlc etc. (this is just one idea i might not include it in my final os but would like to see how you can handle it, as you dont have the puppy bootup manager) I can see you have zdrive.sfs and adrive.sfs already setup. can i edit that to include other sfs files.

Also Lighthouse pup click here has a start up script that will detect all sfs and give option to load or unload them on request before the os has booted, Lighthouse pup also can load up to 40 sfs somehow with a modified boot up script. you may not want this type of setup which is fine just throwing it out there. .
Last edited by HiDeHo on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#2003 Post by DaveS »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi i installed wbar as a test fromclick here it installd ok and works fine. After the first boot or restart x wabar looks like this click here. after i click on one of the apps it reverts back to normal. click here (I would post images directly here but the editor img function given is incorect) any ideas would be useful.
Any reason why you did not opt for Cairo Dock from the Saluki package manager, which works perfectly?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HiDeHo

#2004 Post by HiDeHo »

DaveS wrote:Any reason why you did not opt for Cairo Dock from the Saluki package manager, which works perfectly?
never used that before. ok if its used i will look into that then. good idea i guess it is the same as wbar. its just wbar was what was around when i was looking into docs.

also if the pet is in the ppm then i would assume it will work as i only select saluki packages there.

I tested cario doc. and remembered i tryed it in linux mint os some time ago. . where is the settings application in the menu. where i can edit the doc. also if that is not included in puppy where is the config file for it.
I would also like to know your idea on weather the oprngl or cario intercace si best in puppy.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#2005 Post by Geoffrey »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi i installed wbar as a test fromclick here it installd ok and works fine. After the first boot or restart x wabar looks like this click here. after i click on one of the apps it reverts back to normal. click here (I would post images directly here but the editor img function given is incorect) any ideas would be useful.

Was also wondering how i can load sfs files at boot up. you have removed the boot up manager. i know i can load sfs on the fly after boot. but i want to have the ability to create customised sfs for different tasks.eg i can create an office pup with libre office and any other office apps i want. a media sfs with all media apps such as vlc etc. (this is just one idea i might not include it in my final os but would like to see how you can handle it, as you dont have the puppy bootup manager) I can see you have zdrive.sfs and adrive.sfs already setup. can i edit that to include other sfs files.

Also Lighthouse pup click here has a start up script that will detect all sfs and give option to load or unload them on request before the os has booted, Lighthouse pup also can load up to 40 sfs somehow with a modified boot up script. you may not want this type of setup which is fine just throwing it out there. .
There is a wbar in the package manager, maybe you should use it, wbar-2.2.2-i486.

To load the sfs files, in the menu under system use SFS-Load program loader.

HiDeHo

#2006 Post by HiDeHo »

Geoffrey wrote:There is a wbar in the package manager, maybe you should use it, wbar-2.2.2-i486.

To load the sfs files, in the menu under system use SFS-Load program loader.
yes i did say i used that in my post above. funny you missed that. ppm is shout for puppy package manager and is a common term to describe it amount the community. .

jemimah

#2007 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:
jemimah wrote:Installed pets go into the pupsave.

The custom builder is not a remaster tool. You can build a totally different puppy than the one you are running.

Just collect the pets and sfses you want and feed them the the custom builder when it asks for them.

Boot saluki with the adrive and run the custom builder and you'll see how it works. It's a wizard - not too hard to figure out.

Chrome 12 is the latest that will work on saluki until Barry does another t2 build. I don't think you'll have any luck getting it to compile.
ok so if the adrive is not custom builder. ans i have already installed apps and destop backgrounds, and wbar etc how do i add that to custom builder. the iso remaster keeps all changes in the save file ans builds them into a new iso. if build a new adrive.sfs how can i run that instead of the origional one.? better yet how can i keep some files in the adrive and remove unwanted ones. and add ones I want.

there is no chromium pet or sfs available in the ppm.

also i found firefox 10_saluki runs better than firefox 11 that ws in ppm. now i want to know if ppm contains just saluki apps or other wary / and racy pats.
There is a pet for pupremaster in the PPM. But if you go the remaster route you'll want to discard the adrive. This will make it impossible for you to incorporate my bugfixes to the core without remastering again.

It would be more ideal to make a pet with your custom settings that you can add to a custom adrive using the custom builder. Settings can almost always be found in /root/.config. Using the custom builder ensures that you don't copy any settings (or personal data) that are undesirable and may break things on other machines besides yours.

The pets in the ppm under "saluki" are tested on saluki. Anything under "wary" or "common" may not be tested.

If you can find a chromium package that will work, I will add it. But you'll likely be stuck with chromium 12 or earlier. Finding packages that old has proven a bit difficult.

jemimah

Re: switch between window managers in Saluki?

#2008 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:ctrl-alt-backspace

xwin icewm

and then

ctrl-alt-backspace

xwin xfce4

does not work properly. Can.t get the wallpaper back.

One of the PuppEEEs had a whole bunch of window managers as well as netbook and laptop desktop layouts /menu settings. Is it possible to make a pet which adds this functionality in saluki?
You need

Code: Select all

xwin startxfce4
I have added an icewm pet to the repo.

jemimah

#2009 Post by jemimah »

You state here that you used the wbar from the wiki and below that you used the one from the ppm. Which is it?

If you want combo sfses, just extract them, combine them and recompress the resulting directory. Or use the sfs builder from the repo.

Anything loaded on the fly will be remembered for the next bootup. You can load as many sfses as you want and they will be remembered.

tlcstat

sfs queue

#2010 Post by tlcstat »

delete

jemimah

#2011 Post by jemimah »

Saluki 016 has been released:

New in 016:
Various bugfixes, including dvd mounting, startmount ntfs drives, Thunar not refreshing file lists, and midori local html files.

jemimah

#2012 Post by jemimah »

if firstrun runs on every boot just delete /root/Startup/firstrun. Sorry about that - not sure how I missed it.

HiDeHo

#2013 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:You state here that you used the wbar from the wiki and below that you used the one from the ppm. Which is it?

If you want combo sfses, just extract them, combine them and recompress the resulting directory. Or use the sfs builder from the repo.

Anything loaded on the fly will be remembered for the next bootup. You can load as many sfses as you want and they will be remembered.
you are corect i did. i actually edited that out removing that statement as i actually tested the one from ppm which i thought was the same. i clearly remember editing it. but also glitches happen. sorry for any confusion.

to clarify i got the wbar from ppm
i am also looking into the cario-doc suggested and comparing them.

HiDeHo

#2014 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:Saluki 016 has been released:

New in 016:
Various bugfixes, including dvd mounting, startmount ntfs drives, Thunar not refreshing file lists, and midori local html files.
ok now how do i update to new Saluki. would i need to use all files or just replace the adrive and zdrive.files. is there an easy way to update from saluki-1.5 - saluki-1.6. I am just gauging how things are done in Saluki.

Some ideas I have
**Could you link to the new pup here.
**also most other apps and os on forum have a separate forum post for each new release. (good ones use the puppy wikka site as the main info and links to things including new forum posts). It makes it easy to find help on the version one might have. as this post is already 135 pages long. then again you do what you feel just providing feedback.

HiDeHo

#2015 Post by HiDeHo »

have some issues with cario doc i am not sure weather they where just on saluki or also in other puppies so i created a post click here

Marv

016 update

#2016 Post by Marv »

Posting from 016. Smooth bonehead update 015-016. Just mount the iso, copy the 016 Adrive, Zdrive, initrd, vmlinuz, puppy_luki files to Home (USB drive in this case), hide Adrive in my case, delete 015 files (except save) and reboot. All settings preserved ) 016 live.

firstrun deleted from /root/startup per post.

Fix on backlight control works perfectly on Dell D610, Fujitsu S6120, and IBM T60 laptops. max_brightness reported correctly in all 3. THANKS.

So far so good. Video and resolution on all 3 laptops set correctly on first boot (two intel i915 and an ATI mobility radeon X1300).

More testing later.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

jemimah

#2017 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:
jemimah wrote:Saluki 016 has been released:

New in 016:
ok now how do i update to new Saluki. would i need to use all files or just replace the adrive and zdrive.files. is there an easy way to update from saluki-1.5 - saluki-1.6. I am just gauging how things are done in Saluki.

Some ideas I have
**Could you link to the new pup here.
**also most other apps and os on forum have a separate forum post for each new release. (good ones use the puppy wikka site as the main info and links to things including new forum posts). It makes it easy to find help on the version one might have. as this post is already 135 pages long. then again you do what you feel just providing feedback.
Updating is the same as any other pup. All files should be updated. If you had a custom adrive, just delete the saluki adrive and rename the custom one in it's place.

Links to the latest version are always in the first post. I don't expect anyone to read this whole thread - just the first post and the last few pages. I might start a new thread for the final release.

jemimah

#2018 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:
jemimah wrote:You state here that you used the wbar from the wiki and below that you used the one from the ppm. Which is it?

you are corect i did. i actually edited that out removing that statement as i actually tested the one from ppm which i thought was the same. i clearly remember editing it. but also glitches happen. sorry for any confusion.

to clarify i got the wbar from ppm
i am also looking into the cario-doc suggested and comparing them.
I coudn't reproduce the wbar issue on my (very fast) machine. You might be able to fix it by adding a longer delay before starting wbar.

I don't recommend cairo dock to be installed by default unless you want your puplet to only work on fast computers.

HiDeHo

#2019 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:I coudn't reproduce the wbar issue on my (very fast) machine. You might be able to fix it by adding a longer delay before starting wbar.

I don't recommend cairo dock to be installed by default unless you want your puplet to only work on fast computers.
ok i will .look into that and yes i noticed cario-doc was fance rendering. will stick with wbar instead

Geoffrey

#2020 Post by Geoffrey »

All seems nice, yes the first start popped up again, it also has a fault, country settings appears to be broken, see image.
Attachments
countrysettings.png
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 725 times