Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shelezyaka

#1981 Post by shelezyaka »

A small request.
Along with the new ISO you can please upload the file and the delta to the previous ISO.
For example the delta file "luki-014.iso___luki-015.iso.delta" size of 19 MB.
I find it easier to download this volume, the Internet service provider offers little traffic - 400 MB per month.

jemimah

Re: Midori Browser

#1982 Post by jemimah »

sszindian wrote:Midori: Now seems to be a very nice workable browser however, it has one lacking feature that is really needed....

Over at arch linux:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=49314

There is a package available in a: Tarball::PKGBUILD that will allow Midori to 'Save Passwords' for various sites visited when necessary, and really, isn't this a 'must' for everyone?

Could this be converted to a .pet package for Saluki and be added to the PPM ? Or... is there a similiar .pet available for Midori ??

Saluki-015 so far is working very well, I find no fault with it what-so-ever from my testing so far!

'Nice work' Jemimah !!!

>>>:---Indian------>
Hmm I tested the userscript but couldn't get it to do anything. I also don't really want to pull in gnome keyring as a dependency.

jemimah

Re: luki 15

#1983 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote: vkeybd pet installed but does not work, nor does it make a menu item.

Pete
Vkeybd is a dependency of amSynth. It doesn't do anything by itself.

Pete22

Darkness, no more!

#1984 Post by Pete22 »

Marv;

Thanks so much. Leafpad did the trick.
My machine's high number was 15125.
Leafpad is wonderful.

Pete

aarf

#1985 Post by aarf »

got this keyboard: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 240 multiple times in dmesg. dont know what it is. it is in racy5290 too.

tony

xine problem

#1986 Post by tony »

Hi Jemima,

By Google I found that a list of drivers could be found by "xine --help | more"

Drivers were present in saluki 10 but not in 14.

So copied /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.26 from saluki 10 to 14 alongside of existing file 2.1

xine now starts OK.

Regards Tony

Dromeno

#1987 Post by Dromeno »

I wonder... is one forum
thread for all aspects of Saluki really such a good idea? Now I have to put deep insights such as the following also here:

IMHO... Saluki shows where geeky techno feminism (GTF) is or can be about. For instance, this is how the (male) NASA designs a solar fridge:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/solar-pow ... y-cummins/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... icans.html

Why do I put in the male/female argument? I think it is because both MS and Apple (and even most Linux distros) have something in them which want to make their systems Really Impressive. But then there are PuppEEE and Saluki. Which just work. Are simple. And pretty on the eyes (hey.. come on...I am a man).
[/url]

Dromeno

Saluki and GTF (Geeky Techno Feminism)

#1988 Post by Dromeno »

I wonder... is one forum
thread for all aspects of Saluki really such a good idea? Now I have to put deep insights such as the following also here:

IMHO... Saluki shows where geeky techno feminism (GTF) is or can be about. For instance, this is how the (male) NASA designs a solar fridge:

Why do I put in the male/female argument? I think it is because both MS and Apple (and even most Linux distros) have something in them which want to make their systems Really Impressive. But then there are PuppEEE and Saluki. Which just work. Are simple. And pretty on the eyes (hey.. come on...I am a man).
[/url]

Dromeno

test??

#1989 Post by Dromeno »

I wonder... is one forum

[/url]

Dromeno

Fourth attempt

#1990 Post by Dromeno »

I wonder... is one forum

[/url]

Dromeno

Saluki and GTF (Geeky Techno Feminism)

#1991 Post by Dromeno »

I wonder... is one forum

aarf

Re: Saluki and GTF (Geeky Techno Feminism)

#1992 Post by aarf »

Dromeno wrote:I wonder... is one forum

http://home.howstuffworks.com/solar-pow ... /printable

...and here is how a GTF grl thinks of it:

http://inhabitat.com/solar-powered-frid ... y-cummins/

an extra "i" in the first url closing tag

tlcstat

#1993 Post by tlcstat »

delete
Last edited by tlcstat on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

Re: Saluki and GTF (Geeky Techno Feminism)

#1994 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:I wonder... is one forum

http://home.howstuffworks.com/solar-pow ... /printable

...and here is how a GTF grl thinks of it:

http://inhabitat.com/solar-powered-frid ... y-cummins/

With puppy the main thing that allows simplicity to happen is getting a working repo and a good build tool. If the repo sucks, you have to include all the good packages in the ISO, thus the featuritis.

I'm not sure I'd go with the "generally, women make more elegant things" argument. I don't think that's a gender thing.

Feminism, as a political ideology, tends to scare me.

mikeslr

Having problems with custom_builder15

#1995 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all,

I may just be having a bad day, but custom_builder15 doesn't work for me.
Since I explore various Puplets and use Grub4Dos, my usual procedure is to create a folder, download an iso, mount it, and move only the necessary files into that folder, and add the new Pup to Grub4dos' Menu.lst. The new Pup's folder, therefore, would not include either isolinux.bin or isolinux.cfg. That was the condition of the Saluki1 folder when I first tried to run custom_builder15. After pointing it to the Saluki1 folder and clicking "open" I received a report that the above two mentioned files were missing. So I mounted Saluki15's ISO and copied them to the Saluki1 folder. Now, clicking "open" dropped me out of the builder. I tried again, with the same result. I also tried after adding all the other files --i.e., boot.cat, etc.-- to Saluki1. Again, custom_builder shut down. Trying again, this time pointing to the mounted Saluki15.iso had the same result.
See attached screenshots for further understanding.
Even if it's just me, may I suggest that the requirement that isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg be present should be reconsidered. If only a new adrive is being built, they aren't necessary. If, like me, Saluki is being run from a folder via Grub4dos, they won't be located in that folder [but could be included in the custom_builder application]. And in any event, builder should be able to use a mounted ISO which is just as likely to be available as a burned CD.

While taking the screenshots I discovered the delay feature did not work. But perhaps this was because I had checked "selection" rather than "full screen." The foregoing words in quotes may not be those used by the dialog. I'm not currently in Saluki. Hopefully, you'll get the gist.

Last note: When Saluki boots, it looks for an adrive specific to its version. That is Saluki15 will look for adrv_luki_015.sfs. It will ignore --not load-- adrv_luki_014.sfs, etc. If, like me, the user is going to use the same applications in the new version that were used in the old, there should (a) be some way to simply upgrade an old adrive, perhaps with appropriate warnings regarding compatibility; or (b) boot without an adrive with an application in core to simply rename an old adrive, perhaps with appropriate warnings; or (c) the loading mechanism should be less specific.

mikesLr
Attachments
FolderAdded.jpg
Saluki folder after adding isolinux stuff
(22.12 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
ISOMounted.jpg
Attempting to use mounted ISO
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

jemimah

#1996 Post by jemimah »

Here is a fixed custom builder.

If you are building only the adrive, just say no when it asks if you want to build an ISO. Then it won't ask for the files.
Attachments
custom-builder-7.pet
(67.8 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

mikeslr

Custom_Builder: Files asked for at wrong part of procedure

#1997 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah:

Installed custom_builder7, even rebooted, and initiated new attempt to build adrive. The second or third dialog box, see attached, asks whether you want to modify the applications installed. If you respond "No" builder will ask for the location of the directory containing isolinux files. The non-intuitive work around is to answer "yes" and then click "ok" --or whatever-- without having done anything.
Although it's a good idea, if a new iso is sought, to make certain at the beginning that the files needed to build an iso are available before spending time building adrive, I think another subroutine is required.
I think during the build process a folder named "adrive_ext" is created. At some point in the building I received a notification that something related to winamp was needed. Checking what what was in my adrive_packages folder I realized that while I had downloaded the latest wine pet, I had not deleted its predecessor. So I quit builder and deleted the "old" wine pet. Adrive_ext was not deleted and the next attempt at building reported the same missing lib. After manually deleting adrive_ext that file was no longer reported as missing.
However, although I think I'm up to date on all included pets, and all are from the Saluki repository, the attached shows those files reported as missing. Note, one seems to pertain to python. I did not inclue python or -- as far as I know--anything related to python in the build. All applications seem to work, so I think this is a case of identifying helpful, but not required, libs as missing.
mikesLr
Attachments
MissingLibs.png
missing libs
(26.93 KiB) Downloaded 947 times
dialog.jpg
Problem dialog
(12.19 KiB) Downloaded 956 times

WillM

#1998 Post by WillM »

I did a manual frugal install of Saluki-015.
On boot up Saluki did not detect my monitor settings of 1900x1080.
I ran Xorgwizard: probe then Xwindows would not start. Also tried
Xorgwizard: select and chose nv still Xwindows would not start..
I rebooted with no save file and installed the Nvida proprietory driver.
Ran Xorgwizard: select and chose Nvida, again Xwindows would not start.

jemimah

Re: Custom_Builder: Files asked for at wrong part of procedure

#1999 Post by jemimah »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah:

Installed custom_builder7, even rebooted, and initiated new attempt to build adrive. The second or third dialog box, see attached, asks whether you want to modify the applications installed. If you respond "No" builder will ask for the location of the directory containing isolinux files. The non-intuitive work around is to answer "yes" and then click "ok" --or whatever-- without having done anything.
Although it's a good idea, if a new iso is sought, to make certain at the beginning that the files needed to build an iso are available before spending time building adrive, I think another subroutine is required.
I think during the build process a folder named "adrive_ext" is created. At some point in the building I received a notification that something related to winamp was needed. Checking what what was in my adrive_packages folder I realized that while I had downloaded the latest wine pet, I had not deleted its predecessor. So I quit builder and deleted the "old" wine pet. Adrive_ext was not deleted and the next attempt at building reported the same missing lib. After manually deleting adrive_ext that file was no longer reported as missing.
However, although I think I'm up to date on all included pets, and all are from the Saluki repository, the attached shows those files reported as missing. Note, one seems to pertain to python. I did not inclue python or -- as far as I know--anything related to python in the build. All applications seem to work, so I think this is a case of identifying helpful, but not required, libs as missing.
mikesLr
I'm confused, if you don't want to rebuild the adrive or rebuild the iso, then what is it that you do want to do?

I will add a check to make sure the ext directory is cleaned up.

I found where the python error came from. I will clean it up for the next release.

I have also updated the dependencies of wine in the repo - it had pulled in one from the devx that I didn't notice.

Those missing lib errors always mean that something is wrong. It might be something too minor to notice, but you can't assume it's working right if you have those missing lib errors.

HiDeHo

#2000 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:Installed pets go into the pupsave.

The custom builder is not a remaster tool. You can build a totally different puppy than the one you are running.

Just collect the pets and sfses you want and feed them the the custom builder when it asks for them.

Boot saluki with the adrive and run the custom builder and you'll see how it works. It's a wizard - not too hard to figure out.

Chrome 12 is the latest that will work on saluki until Barry does another t2 build. I don't think you'll have any luck getting it to compile.
ok so if the adrive is not custom builder. ans i have already installed apps and destop backgrounds, and wbar etc how do i add that to custom builder. the iso remaster keeps all changes in the save file ans builds them into a new iso. if build a new adrive.sfs how can i run that instead of the origional one.? better yet how can i keep some files in the adrive and remove unwanted ones. and add ones I want.

there is no chromium pet or sfs available in the ppm.

also i found firefox 10_saluki runs better than firefox 11 that ws in ppm. now i want to know if ppm contains just saluki apps or other wary / and racy pats.