Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1361 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

DC

NFS

#1362 Post by DC »

re: NFS

Hi everybody,

Firstly I can happily mount NFS to my Readynas box.
but I would like to know how its configured / complied in Puppy528

none of the files from NFS utilities are in the build.
but I did find NFS header files.

So are the NFS headers complied as part of the kernel compile or can you do a compile afterwards?
Are there any write ups for doing it this way? as previously I've used NFS utilities.

I would like to understand this for other puppys as its much simpler than using NFS utilities etc.

many thanks

DC

playdayz

#1363 Post by playdayz »

LYX maybe?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 23&t=61231
There is a lyx package, but it is 170MB. For the memory abiword is a decent choice. I think we should change its default save format to rtf though. And we should figure out how to make the Help work.

Add: I am thinking that maybe the default save format should be opendocument odt (the same as LibreOffice.)

The Abiword developer who does the relevant module for the Help sent this patch. The problem seems to be that gnome-vfs is either not present or not right. There are 2 slight problems left: 1) I have never gotten Abiword to compile correctly in Lucid (Lucid uses the one built for Ubuntu Lucid); 2) I am not sure how to use the patch. Details details ;-)

Add: Step 1: By compiling the latest stable goffice first I have now gotten Abiword to compile correctly in Lucid.

Add2: PROGRESS! By shamelessly hacking the Abiword code I have an Abiword 2.6.8 running in Lucid *and the Help works*

Code: Select all

abiword.help.browser.patch

Index: src/af/util/xp/ut_go_file.cpp
===================================================================
--- src/af/util/xp/ut_go_file.cpp	(revision 30719)
+++ src/af/util/xp/ut_go_file.cpp	(working copy)
@@ -1664,7 +1664,7 @@

/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------- */

-#if !defined(TOOLKIT_GTK_ALL) && !defined(TOOLKIT_COCOA)
+#if !defined(G_OS_WIN32) && !defined(TOOLKIT_COCOA) && !defined(WITH_GNOMEVFS)
 static char *
 check_program (char const *prog)
 {
@@ -1703,12 +1703,12 @@
 	return NULL;
 #else
 	GError *err = NULL;
+#if defined(WITH_GNOMEVFS)
 #if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2,14,0)
 	gtk_show_uri (NULL, url, GDK_CURRENT_TIME, &err);
-	return err;
-#elif defined(WITH_GNOMEVFS)
+#else
 	gnome_vfs_url_show (url);
-	return err;
+#endif
 #else
 	gchar *browser = NULL;
 	gchar *clean_url = NULL;
@@ -1772,9 +1772,9 @@
 	}
 	g_free (browser);
 	g_free (clean_url);
+#endif
 	return err;
 #endif
-#endif
 }

/**

radky

#1364 Post by radky »

playdayz wrote:I have an Abiword 2.6.8 running in Lucid *and the Help works*
Thank you playdayz. :D

BTW: mtPaint image editor appears twice in the Graphic category of the Puppy menu (Lucid Plus).

Aitch

#1365 Post by Aitch »

playdayz
I have abiword 2.9.1 in slacko 530 and it saves in abw , doc, or html...
[help/updates/bug reporting doesn't work]

Aitch :)

Eyes-Only

#1366 Post by Eyes-Only »

Any chance of a .pet of this now-working 2.6.8 AbiWord PlayDayz? One that would install over the existing AbiWord in both Lucid-528-004 and 3HD perchance? ( The latter would be an excellent bonus seeing that the wife uses the former whilst I the latter. ;) )

TIA!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

playdayz

#1367 Post by playdayz »

Any chance of a .pet of this now-working 2.6.8 AbiWord PlayDayz? One that would install over the existing AbiWord in both Lucid-528-004 and 3HD perchance?
You bet Eyes-Only. Later today I hope, at least for testing.
Here it is Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 with working Help > http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Abiwo ... ucid-2.pet
Please test the Help of course, plus handling docx files if possible, plus Gnumeric (because there is a new goffice which Gnumeric also uses). Also please test the default save format which is now "opendocument (odt)" which is the same as LibreOffice. This Abiword has been tested in Lucid and 3HD--it may work in other Puppies. Thanks.
mtPaint image editor appears twice in the Graphic category of the Puppy menu (Lucid Plus).
Yes radky. I think I might do a quick update of Lucid Plus, with that fixed and the new Abiword with Help, and anything else that turns up, in a few days.
I have abiword 2.9.1 in slacko 530 and it saves in abw , doc, or html... [help/updates/bug reporting doesn't work]
Aitch, I have let 01micko know that there is a way to get the help working and will send him the details--Abiword needs to be recompiled for it to take effect. Concerning the save format--what I am planning to do is to change the *default* save format from abw to probably odt or rtf--all of the others will continue to be available and it will be possible for the user to change the default format back to abw or to any of the others. odt is the opendocument format that LibreOffice uses. I think that using odt might "modernize" Abiword a bit.

Yoliano

Puppy-Linux-Lupu-528-Testing01a - Internet Connection

#1368 Post by Yoliano »

I have recently received a new modem from my mobile internet provider, who have just upgraded their network to HSPA+. The details are:
Huawei HSPA+ Mobile USB Modem, Model No. E353s-6.
Vendor ID: 12d1
Product ID: 14fe, (all from lsusb)
Target Product ID: 1506
I tried to use it in Puppy-Linux Lupu 528.004, but it failed to connect and gave me the message:
# /usr/sbin/ppd : In the file /etc/ppp/peers/gprsmm: unrecognised option ' dev/ttyS0 ', (In the configuration window I had entered the detected device file:
"/dev/ttyUSB0/ dev/usb/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS0" )
The modem seemed to have switched, because lsusb showed the Product ID: 1506.
I unplugged/replugged the modem and tried to connect again, but got the same result.
From my superficial knowledge of this matter, I suspect that this modem is not registered in the modeswitch list, which might be the cause of this problem.
Consequently, I have been following the forum postings on this subject with great interest and have now tested this modem in Puppy-Linux Lupu-528-Testing01a,
but got exactly the same result.
I went to the modeswitch list file and found that 12d1 : 14fe is registered there, but NOT the Product Target ID 1506. (12d1 : 1505 is the nearest I could find).
So, I need some help at this point. Can someone please confirm that, to function, this modem needs to be registered in the modeswitch device list, or is
there some other problem that needs to be solved? If your response is "Yes" to registration, can I do it myself? If so, I am willing to try to accomplish it, but I
will need some instructions from an obliging expert, as I am not fluent in the editing of files.
To write this posting I am using this modem plugged into a Win7 box and it is functioning normally, which proves that my other configuration data is correct.
I will greatly appreciate any help that can be offered.

playdayz

#1369 Post by playdayz »

Yoliano, New hardware can be a problem for Lucid, since it is somewhat old. You might try Lucid Plus from page 91 top or Three-Headed Dog which has a newer kernel. Otherwise you could be better off with Slacko, which is newer.

radky

#1370 Post by radky »

playdayz wrote:Here it is Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 with working Help > http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Abiwo ... ucid-2.pet
Please test the Help of course, plus handling docx files if possible, plus Gnumeric (because there is a new goffice which Gnumeric also uses). Also please test the default save format which is now "opendocument (odt)" which is the same as LibreOffice.
Initial testing is OK with basic .odt and standard .doc files (I don’t use the Microsoft .docx format). Yes, all Help options are now accessible in the Abiword menu. Thank you playdayz, and thanks to the Abiword developers who provided the patch for Help resources.

bigpup

#1371 Post by bigpup »

Yoliano wrote:Huawei E353 Mobile USB-Modem Wireless Connection
Try this info and update package for your modem problems.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 341#598341
YaPI(any iso installer)

kevin bowers

#1372 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote: Concerning the save format--what I am planning to do is to change the *default* save format from abw to probably odt or rtf--all of the others will continue to be available and it will be possible for the user to change the default format back to abw or to any of the others. odt is the opendocument format that LibreOffice uses. I think that using odt might "modernize" Abiword a bit.
For those who must use Microsoft Office, .odt won't work with it. Almost everybody can work in .rtf. Just a consideration....

playdayz

#1373 Post by playdayz »

For those who must use Microsoft Office, .odt won't work with it.
I just tested and Abiword opened a docx that had been created in Word and then saved it as odt. Then Word 2010 opened the odt and saved it as another odt and then reopened it. The document had a picture and a table so I think it was a decent test. I hope people will test this.

Here is the Native Language Support for the new Abiword 2.8.6 http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Abiwo ... ucid-2.pet

By the way, Abiword 2.8.6 is still the official stable release of Abiword, plus the developmental release 2.9.2 won't compile in Lucid, which is why we have 2.8.6. There is a 2.9.0 that ttuuxxx built for Lucid in the PPM--it was not included in Lucid because at that time the Abiword developers said that 2.8.6 was better with docx documents.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 20:49, edited 2 times in total.

boxR

#1374 Post by boxR »

PLEASE DELETE
Last edited by boxR on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1375 Post by playdayz »

cthisbear, For the broadcom, you might try mvoing the usb plugs around, that is plugging the usb devices into different ports, because that can alter the timing and I suspect that sometimes the timing is the problem. You can also try the new broadcom driver that peebee made http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 686#611686

majorfoo

#1376 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote: Here it is Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 with working Help > http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Abiwo ... ucid-2.pet
Please test the Help of course, plus handling docx files if possible, plus Gnumeric (because there is a new goffice which Gnumeric also uses). Also please test the default save format which is now "opendocument (odt)" which is the same as LibreOffice. This Abiword has been tested in Lucid and 3HD--it may work in other Puppies. Thanks.
New Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 looks good with help installed.
Also, help now works in Gnumeric.

If user does not want to use the .odt extension, it is easily changed to different format in /usr/share/abiword/system.profile.

Thanks for enhancing these two programs

bigpup

#1377 Post by bigpup »

Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 with working Help

Well it does not want to play nice with me.
Installed to Lucid 528-004 full install.
Help still shows nothing.
This install of Lucid is heavily tweaked and added to, so could be reason why not working.
I am going to try it on a clean, fresh install, of Lucid, and see what that does.
Tried it with a live CD, using option pfix=ram, with nothing but the install of Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2.
Selected help and Quickpet opened. I assume trying to tell me I needed a browser installed. Only browser I had at this time was Dillo.
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1378 Post by playdayz »

Selected help and Quickpet opened. I assume trying to tell me I needed a browser installed
Yes. Exactly. I am very puzzled why it didn't work on the first install. You could open a terminal and enter env and see what DEFAULTBROWSER shows. Hmmm, it might not work if you have changed the default browser since booting. You could also start abiword in a terminal and see if you got any messages when you clicked Help.
New Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 looks good with help installed.
Also, help now works in Gnumeric.
Help always worked in Gnumeric, I thought.

majorfoo

#1379 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Help always worked in Gnumeric, I thought.
My bad - You are correct. Help works in Gnumeric in all of your lucid - luci series.

In the future I will check, before I make a comment.
Last edited by majorfoo on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#1380 Post by gcmartin »

@Playdayz
I probably misdirected a question on PPM to your PM. Would you check?