Legacy OS 4 Mini Released

News, happenings
john biles

#21 Post by john biles »

umair, don't scare me like that! LOL! this problem never arose in testing. I was looking at why this may have happened, So glad to hear it was a bad download!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

umair

#22 Post by umair »

john biles wrote:umair, don't scare me like that! LOL! this problem never arose in testing. I was looking at why this may have happened, So glad to hear it was a bad download!
John, I was also shocked as tested on more thn 3 different PCs.. The fault was in ISO not in Legacy OS-4 :).
Learnt a new thing, Must check md5sum after downloading ISO ;)
Thnx
UMAIR

bignono1

#23 Post by bignono1 »

Just installed to a 2gb usb flash .

bignono1

#24 Post by bignono1 »

sorry, double post.

Sage

#25 Post by Sage »

Polished, as usual. Well done again, John!
For the record, now that Skype belongs to Beelzebub, perhaps it's time to decamp to PSIP, especially as smokey has given us such a detailed exposition of its use (http://www.smokey01.com/help/psip/psip-help.html?

Indy452

#26 Post by Indy452 »

So, is this the thread if you want/need support for Legacy OS4?

I'm having a buggar of a time getting 4 mini to boot on any of my machines. Did I get a bad iso? I get the splash screen and then it goes to copy to ram etc then when done it gives kernel panic message and then I have to dirty shutdown the machine....any ideas? I'm dying to try it....

Sage

#27 Post by Sage »

Pentium III 800Mhz Processor with 256Mb’s of Ram
Ah! Getting KP on an 1800AMD with 384Mb mem. - "out of memory: no process....etc"

James C

#28 Post by James C »

Sage wrote:
Pentium III 800Mhz Processor with 256Mb’s of Ram
Ah! Getting KP on an 1800AMD with 384Mb mem. - "out of memory: no process....etc"
Live pfix=ram on one of my old P3's. Notice the ram and swap usage at idle in the screenshot.
Probably run fine on a box with 256 Mb of ram once installed but it's pretty large when loading into ram.

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 514MB (294MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.42
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 23 Mar 2012 02:23:02 PM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.25.16 (i686)
Compiled : #1 Tue Aug 26 10:45:53 GMT-8 2008
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.6.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Attachments
legacy os4 pfix=ram.png
(41.68 KiB) Downloaded 2393 times

russoodle

#29 Post by russoodle »

I thought John usually advocated full installs for his TeenPup and Legacy OS series.....or am i mistaken?

Seems logical to me, especially as older machines often don't have a great deal of RAM and the iso isn't as small as the standard Puppys....i wouldn't bother trying to make a frugal, horses for courses..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

cthisbear

#30 Post by cthisbear »

You made it to Distrowatch.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07170

Chris.

Sage

#31 Post by Sage »

John usually advocated full install
Yes, of course, but how to get there?! I have my own subterfuges to achieve that, but John might need to edit his claim and advice. Invariably, I have an HD connected, which has swap space. Purely by chance, this was not the case on one test machine. Best advice for newcomers is to do a FULL on another s-o-t-a machine and transfer the disk. Saves a lot of time, as the install is preserved even if the old banger doesn't run with it.

James C

#32 Post by James C »

Hit the top 10 on Distrowatch..... :)
Attachments
Legacy OS.JPG
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 1932 times

Sage

#33 Post by Sage »

Oh dear! Gave it some swap space, but the initial booting didn't seem to look/find/use it. KP after switch-root, not sync-ing, etc. This can be a major issue on old kit that it is designed to use, and almost (but not quite!) the death knell for old laptops, for which additional memory may not be available and/or insertable. In all these instances, it will be necessary to install remotely on modern HW, hardly meeting the prime directive? Some folks have difficulty mounting 2.5" IDE drives into new machines on account of needing an adapter, either 40w to 44w IDE or IDE-to-SATA. No idea what options are for jiggling with the boot up coding? if any...

James C

#34 Post by James C »

I've already successfully booted Legacy OS4 Mini on several machines, so I grabbed an old Windows 98 box off the shelf. 384 Mb of ram.... no swap.

Default boot, just hitting "enter" .... kernel panic.
Booting pfix=no ram ....... kernel panic.
Booting pfix=nocopy ..... kernel panic.

Running the latest Slacko live so no hardware issues.

-Computer-
Processor : Celeron (Mendocino)
Memory : 384MB (137MB used)

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.1.10-slacko_4gA (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Tue Mar 13 14:58:11 EST 2012

-Processor-
Name : Celeron (Mendocino)
Family, model, stepping : 6, 6, 5 (Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron)
Vendor : Intel
-Configuration-
Cache Size : 128kb
Frequency : 434.24MHz
BogoMIPS : 868.66
Byte Order : Little Endian

Might need to reconsider those minimum specs.

Sage

#35 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that confirmation, James. Just wondering: Celeron & Duron are low on cache. Needs further investigating!

russoodle

#36 Post by russoodle »

Sage wrote:Polished, as usual. Well done again, John!
For the record, now that Skype belongs to Beelzebub, perhaps it's time to decamp to PSIP, especially as smokey has given us such a detailed exposition of its use (http://www.smokey01.com/help/psip/psip-help.html?
Some of us have been using Psip now for several months with great success on various 5 series Puppys, but unless John has updated certain libs, the version we're using (v1.*-2.*) won't work with this release - the default known to work with Puppy 4.* series is Psip version 0.26.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

john biles

#37 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Sorry about the kernel panic problem for some of you with Ram less then 512Mb's. On some test PC's Legacy OS 4 Mini refuses to load from the CD and tries to load itself in to Ram which it can't causing the Kernel Panic error. One fix is to temporary increase the Ram to 512Mb's do the install to Hard Drive before removing the added Ram.

I'm as unhappy about this as you are. I need help / advice on finding a fix to this. I know it comes down to a bug in one of the scripts during boot up. If someone finds the bug please let me know so I can fix this problem.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

russoodle

#38 Post by russoodle »

john biles wrote:Hello Everyone,
Sorry about the kernel panic problem for some of you with Ram less then 512Mb's. On some test PC's Legacy OS 4 Mini refuses to load from the CD and tries to load itself in to Ram which it can't causing the Kernel Panic error. One fix is to temporary increase the Ram to 512Mb's do the install to Hard Drive before removing the added Ram.

I'm as unhappy about this as you are. I need help / advice on finding a fix to this. I know it comes down to a bug in one of the scripts during boot up. If someone finds the bug please let me know so I can fix this problem.
John, wouldn't passing a boot parameter such as "puppy pfix=noram" be of any use?

nooby

#39 Post by nooby »

I guess my machine is too new? You care about the
older equipments so a Netbook from 2009 or 2010 or so
has LAN cards integrated into the motherboard that the
kernel has no driver for?

The LAN drivers for Acer D255 fail to get loaded in a way
that allow it to get internet

Is that situation something that comes with the goal and
nothing to do about? I like all the other things about it.

It looks incredibly nice and pleasant to use apart from no internet.

Thanks Russ,

It is not that important to me. I do have many other linux to play with.
Last edited by nooby on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sage

#40 Post by Sage »

One fix is to temporary increase the Ram to 512Mb's
Yes, that's included in the canonical subterfuges I referred to. But, it may not be available to everyone, for all sorts of quite reasonable, errr reasons, and notably those cited for poor old lappies...
Let's hope some-one can assist with a solution, otherwise it kinda defeats the principle objective for deployment on ye olde machinery.