Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Geoffrey

#1941 Post by Geoffrey »

Booting from USB, I can report that the Acer E525, b43 wireless now works with the upgrade to 0.15.

I also have it booting to desktop with "Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller".

I had to add this to the syslinux.cfg, "acpi_osi=Linux" and a script to startup directory to get the screen to light up,
else function and a one of the brightness keys needs to be press.

Code: Select all

echo 9 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

Geoffrey

#1942 Post by Geoffrey »

In regard to pfind, I installed rox and there seems to be no difference between it and Thunar when trying to run a app from the find list, is that the case for anyone else?

What I mean is that they run if I select them and from the Selection dropdown menu, select "Run program", just clicking the list entry don't work, is that what the problem is?

Edit: I notice that if I click on a png in the list it will show, but if the png has a hyphen in it's name it won't, Example: gnome-terminal.png won't show but terminal.png will :?
Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#1943 Post by James C »

Saluki 015 live pfix=ram. Pleasantly surprised it booted to a desktop this time..... 1280x1024 instead of 1366x768 but still a desktop.Sound and internet also good on initial boot.

# report-video
Saluki, version 015 on Wed 21 Mar 2012

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

Summary
Computer
Processor 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory 2853MB (191MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Wed 21 Mar 2012 11:33:11 PM CDT
Display
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.8-ski (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 12 16:42:30 EET 2012
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Unknown distribution

Every release keeps improving, great job.

HiDeHo

#1944 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:The zdrive has all the drivers and the adrive has all the (noncritical) applications.

If you boot with the adrive then run the Saluki custom builder, you will get a list of adrive apps and you can deselect anything you don't need.
ok i understand how to remove unwanted apps. how do i add apps to the adrive.sfs
  • * install thunderbird mail client with lightening calendar to replace claws mail and orage calendar.
    * firefox or chromium to replace madori
these are some of the changes i plan on making.

aarf

#1945 Post by aarf »

closing the lid halts shutdown was fixed in puppeee, not fixed in saluki

einar

Custom puppy builder

#1946 Post by einar »

I think some ppl like me who like to play with the custom puppy builder and makes many versions before we get satisfied. Is it possible to choose an offline place for the standard adrive packages ? i have downloaded the Saluki repo and i think it would be lame to download adrive packages from smokey01.com every time i made a test build ;)

Second : Is it possible to place the Nvidia or Ati pet in the Adrive_packages folder ? I mean will it work ? :)

Third : is it possible to change the startup picture ?

and last a very silly question. is it possible to also make a usb flash drive installer. I mean in the end where you get to choose if you want to make an ISO file, could it be possible to make a usb flash drive. That would be awesome

and thanks for the Saluki 15 :)

Regards

Einar

jemimah

#1947 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:
jemimah wrote:The zdrive has all the drivers and the adrive has all the (noncritical) applications.

If you boot with the adrive then run the Saluki custom builder, you will get a list of adrive apps and you can deselect anything you don't need.
ok i understand how to remove unwanted apps. how do i add apps to the adrive.sfs
  • * install thunderbird mail client with lightening calendar to replace claws mail and orage calendar.
    * firefox or chromium to replace madori
these are some of the changes i plan on making.
The custom builder lets you add apps too.

jemimah

#1948 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:closing the lid halts shutdown was fixed in puppeee, not fixed in saluki
Ok, I will fix that for the next release.

jemimah

Re: Custom puppy builder

#1949 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote:I think some ppl like me who like to play with the custom puppy builder and makes many versions before we get satisfied. Is it possible to choose an offline place for the standard adrive packages ? i have downloaded the Saluki repo and i think it would be lame to download adrive packages from smokey01.com every time i made a test build ;)

Second : Is it possible to place the Nvidia or Ati pet in the Adrive_packages folder ? I mean will it work ? :)

Third : is it possible to change the startup picture ?

and last a very silly question. is it possible to also make a usb flash drive installer. I mean in the end where you get to choose if you want to make an ISO file, could it be possible to make a usb flash drive. That would be awesome

and thanks for the Saluki 15 :)

Regards

Einar
The custom builder doesn't delete your packages after it runs. So just pick the same build location each time you run it. After the first run, skip the the package download, and you should be right back where you left off after the previous run.

I think driver pets in the adrive should work ok.

I will think about a flash installer, but it's so easy to overwrite the adrive on an existing flash drive with the new version - I'm not sure it's necessary.

gcmartin

#1950 Post by gcmartin »

jemimah wrote: ... Shinobar's version had minor but annoying issues with Xorg. It will need some TLC before it's ready.
Hi @jemimah

You share that Shinobar has somehow introduced Xorg issues. As I am aware, Shinobar has addressed every known issue raised by every distro developer. I am sure he would treat you no differently? If you know of an issue, would you report it to him so that all in the community can benefit.

His FirstRUN contribution has 2 quality years of contributions fixing a rash of issues for our community.

Hope this helps

Dromeno

TaskCoach

#1951 Post by Dromeno »

There is a new version of taskcoach. Sorry for repeating myself but... it is one of the best taks managers you can get BUT andother python pain in the pup. Deb doesn't work out of the box. So Jemimah... do you mind to help again?

(I really wish it were possible to make one kind of adjustment so that puppy could accept all python apps immediately)

http://www.taskcoach.org/download_for_linux.html

jtouso

Jemimah "older" isos

#1952 Post by jtouso »

Jemimah,
No more Puppeee or Fluppy?
All is for Saluki?
Regards

shelezyaka

#1953 Post by shelezyaka »

Hello
In the assemblies Saluki 014 and 015 (013 skipped) are not mounted DVD drives and CD drives are installed correctly. In Pmount seen twice, and in the /mnt directory does not appear /mnt/sr0 as /mnt / CDROM it in big letters.
How do I fix it?

HiDeHo

#1954 Post by HiDeHo »

All I can say is Awesome, Great Job Speechless. I hope Saluki becomes one of the standard puppy distros alongside Slacko, Wary & Racy one day.
just wanting to know where i can get latest version of chromium or do i need devx to build it.

Custom Builder
  • atm i am building my saluki os the way i have created other puplets. install apps I want> remove ones I dont>add desktop backgrounds etc etc.>run the puppy iso maker....(we all know the process). How does the Custom Builder Differ
  • if i add apps before using the custum builder i would like to know if they are in the adrive.sfs or puppy save. does the builder allow adding pets/sfs directly ???.
  • is there a tutorial on how to use the saluki custom builder.
Thanks again for such a great puppy os. it is what I have wanted to do, but not the skills.Now i can easily get on with building my puppy idea slowly and properly.

Geoffrey

#1955 Post by Geoffrey »

shelezyaka wrote:Hello
In the assemblies Saluki 014 and 015 (013 skipped) are not mounted DVD drives and CD drives are installed correctly. In Pmount seen twice, and in the /mnt directory does not appear /mnt/sr0 as /mnt / CDROM it in big letters.
How do I fix it?
Yes I can confirm that inserting a DVD into drive gives two notification dialogs and appears twice in Pmount,
selecting /dev/sr0 in the panel icon doesn't mount the drive but starts xnoise, pmount does mount the drive ok,
no it doesn't appear as /mnt/sr0 but as /mnt/"the disk Label" , so "CDROM" should be correct.

jemimah

Re: TaskCoach

#1956 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:There is a new version of taskcoach. Sorry for repeating myself but... it is one of the best taks managers you can get BUT andother python pain in the pup. Deb doesn't work out of the box. So Jemimah... do you mind to help again?

(I really wish it were possible to make one kind of adjustment so that puppy could accept all python apps immediately)

http://www.taskcoach.org/download_for_linux.html
I have uploaded it to the repo.

jemimah

Re: Jemimah "older" isos

#1957 Post by jemimah »

jtouso wrote:Jemimah,
No more Puppeee or Fluppy?
All is for Saluki?
Regards
Correct. There comes a point when starting over is the only way to make forward progress.

jemimah

#1958 Post by jemimah »

shelezyaka wrote:Hello
How do I fix it?
Did you run the cd/dvd wizard in the control panel?

jemimah

#1959 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:All I can say is Awesome, Great Job Speechless. I hope Saluki becomes one of the standard puppy distros alongside Slacko, Wary & Racy one day.
just wanting to know where i can get latest version of chromium or do i need devx to build it.

Custom Builder
  • atm i am building my saluki os the way i have created other puplets. install apps I want> remove ones I dont>add desktop backgrounds etc etc.>run the puppy iso maker....(we all know the process). How does the Custom Builder Differ
  • if i add apps before using the custum builder i would like to know if they are in the adrive.sfs or puppy save. does the builder allow adding pets/sfs directly ???.
  • is there a tutorial on how to use the saluki custom builder.
Thanks again for such a great puppy os. it is what I have wanted to do, but not the skills.Now i can easily get on with building my puppy idea slowly and properly.
Installed pets go into the pupsave.

The custom builder is not a remaster tool. You can build a totally different puppy than the one you are running.

Just collect the pets and sfses you want and feed them the the custom builder when it asks for them.

Boot saluki with the adrive and run the custom builder and you'll see how it works. It's a wizard - not too hard to figure out.

Chrome 12 is the latest that will work on saluki until Barry does another t2 build. I don't think you'll have any luck getting it to compile.

sneekylinux

Saluki 014

#1960 Post by sneekylinux »

Have just released a video on saluki 014 a few days ago, and yes i think this could be a good alternative to standered pup for peeps that dont want to tinker, just to run with a nice version of xfce...super