Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 00:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
PupServer-435
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 21:10    Post subject:  

Your screenshot is showing a "Windows Network" icon on your desktop. What do you see if you open it up?
jason.b.c

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 00:32    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Your screenshot is showing a "Windows Network" icon on your desktop. What do you see if you open it up?

pretty much nothing..
Screenshot.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Screenshot.png 
Filesize  478.13 KB 
Downloaded  382 Time(s) 

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger 
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 01:14    Post subject:  

In my instructions above for Step 5, just enter the server name. Leave the share name and other fields blank.
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 07:38    Post subject:  

jason.b.c wrote:
jrb wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:
what would the Puppy server name be and how do i create the "share"

The Share name is PUPSERVER and the share is automatically created by Pupserver and is named usr=root passwd=woofwoof. I named it that to make it obvious what the username and password are.

it's still not working for me...

i'll try to post a screenshot... .

Hi Jason,
I presume you clicked on "Windows Network" in the Network Browser and didn't see Pupserver?

Perhaps I have made a mistake in naming the share usr=root passwd=woofwoof. Can't imagine why I left that space in the middle. Rolling Eyes Here's what to try:
Go to /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf which contains:
Code:
# Share
   [usr=root passwd=woofwoof]
Change the share name to usr=root_passwd=woofwoof or anything else that doesn't have a space in it and save. Then open a terminal window and type
Code:
samba restart
Then go back to Ubuntu or Debian, refresh or restart the Network browser and see if you can connect to Pupserver.

Best of Luck, J
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 07:49    Post subject:  

I also suspected that the space in the share name would cause problems, but it doesn't here.

Ubuntu is very slow to detect a Puppy server in Windows Network. (This is true with both Samba-TNG and Pupserver-435.)

But when I ran Connect to Server and just entered the server name, Ubuntu found the "usr=root passwd=woofwoof" share and opened it.

Eventually, it also also found the server under Windows Network.
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 09:48    Post subject:  

Thanks for the backup rcrsn51. Cool

I haven't run Ubuntu or Debian in years and was afraid I might have to setup a machine just to address Jason's problem.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 09:54    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
I haven't run Ubuntu or Debian in years and was afraid I might have to setup a machine just to address Jason's problem.

I do test installs like this using a GRUB2 flash drive.
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:20    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I do test installs like this using a GRUB2 flash drive.

Wow! Looks very cool. I'll give it a go this evening. Very Happy
jason.b.c

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012, 00:46    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:
jrb wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:
what would the Puppy server name be and how do i create the "share"

The Share name is PUPSERVER and the share is automatically created by Pupserver and is named usr=root passwd=woofwoof. I named it that to make it obvious what the username and password are.

it's still not working for me...

i'll try to post a screenshot... .

Hi Jason,
I presume you clicked on "Windows Network" in the Network Browser and didn't see Pupserver?

Perhaps I have made a mistake in naming the share usr=root passwd=woofwoof. Can't imagine why I left that space in the middle. Rolling Eyes Here's what to try:
Go to /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf which contains:
Code:
# Share
   [usr=root passwd=woofwoof]
Change the share name to usr=root_passwd=woofwoof or anything else that doesn't have a space in it and save. Then open a terminal window and type
Code:
samba restart
Then go back to Ubuntu or Debian, refresh or restart the Network browser and see if you can connect to Pupserver.

Best of Luck, J

Embarassed
Sorry that i haven't posted back on this in a while, been really busy lately Rolling Eyes

I think i may have to throw in the towel on this one.. i dunno.. but i still can't seem to be able to get anything to work...
Sad

i've tried again today to connect to pupserver without much luck..

i tried the advice (above) as jrb suggested , changed :

Code:
usr=root passwd=woofwoof

to:

Code:
root

so pretty much made that part as simple as can be..

then opened a terminal and :

Code:
samba restart

although i get a weird error and don't know if it means anything or not..

Code:
killall <something> unable to kill pid <somenumbers>

i'm sure samba has to be running , if i use "top" from the terminal it shows a few entries for samba..

so then from my crunchbang laptop (connected as ethernet and not wireless to the same router as the pupserver machine) i have nautilus , i choose "connect to server" as suggested/explained by rcrsn51, but still it's a no-go..

so then i thought about puppy having pnethood, so from this same laptop i fire up a live puppy (dpup actually) , open up pnethood, it runs and does it's thing , and:

Code:
no server found

from a browser , if i open the config page for my router (10.0.then.the rest) the router shows "PUPSERVER" in it's list of connected devices..

but as for actually connecting to pupserver from another connected machine?? it's like PUPSERVER isn't even there at all... Rolling Eyes

i'm at a loss... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger 
jason.b.c

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012, 04:21    Post subject:  

hello??? Laughing

jason.b.c

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2012, 01:34    Post subject:  

bump

still confused Laughing

greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2012, 04:57    Post subject:  

Hi jrb, Pupserver 435 is just what I was looking for. Within 3 minutes I was able to boot from PS435 live cd and make all my files and music available to the rest of the family. Nice job. Thanks.

I am also hoping to use this as a PXE server to encourage the rest of my family to trial Puppy. It seems to work ok (I have tried it with various puppies and several machines with some failures, but mostly successes) but the main problem I am having is that the PXE client cannot access the internet after booting unless I take the Pupserver PC offline. (I tried running the internet connection wizard and it goes through the auto dhcp routine correctly but still won't allow access to the internet till I shut down pupserver). Have you experienced this?

I am using the TNG version you mentioned here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60406&start=44

I tried installing the dnsmasq and server3 pet mentioned by gcmartin but I had problems with it and wondered if it was conflicting with the tftp server that was already in the PS435 network menu. Also, that other method uses the /tmp folder to hold the netboot folder and initrd etc, whereas the inbuilt tftp server in PS435 seems to use /root/tftpboot for that purpose. I figured I should try to stick with the inbuilt server method.

Is there maybe some simple way to stop the PXE server rather than shutting down? (although that requires a manual intervention for each PXE client attempt..)

I have found some topics that seem related to my problem but its a bit confusing and I wondered if you had a clear recommendation how I should proceed.