slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Volhout

Re: Congratulations

#141 Post by Volhout »

01micko wrote:
Volhout wrote: edit: one small problem after playing few hours and rebooting few times: sometimes grub4dos does not see the frugal install on the SDcard. Must be a timing issue. It gives "file not found" at the "find --set root ........sfs" line. Must be that the card filesystem is not read by the bios or by grub4dos at the moment the "find" is executed. Played with timing a bit, but that does not resolve the issue. This may be a known issue, but I fear I am unique in that I have grub4dos installed in a harddisk system and try to boot from an SD card through grub4dos's menu.lst.
You can set the actual pdev1 parameter on your kernel line, this may solve your issue.
For example, if you have a save on sdd1 you'd add this to your kernel line:

Code: Select all

pdev1=sdd1
HTH
Thank you, that fixed it (I had 10+ succesfull boots). Of coarse I used pdev1=sdb1.

Regards,

Volhout

01micko

#142 Post by 01micko »

Ok, I have tackled the insertion of panel applets, it's quite different to how Jason (plinej) did the original but still uses some of his code.

Seems to work ok in adding and deleting panel icon launchers.

Have fun (and please report success or failure)
Attachments
jwm_panel_buttons-0.1.pet
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
capture4847.png
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 1651 times
panel_apps.png
(10.33 KiB) Downloaded 1672 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#143 Post by playdayz »

I see that 01micko has already made Iron and Chrome 17 packages. By default they Won't Run as Root. Iguleder made a patch. Alternatively it is possible to run them in root by specifying the --user-data-dir as in this command:
exec /usr/lib/chrome-linux/chrome --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chromium --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 "$@"
Latest Chromium-based browsers

Chromium 19 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet

Google Chrome 17 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet

Srware Iron 17 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet

Chromium is the open source development platform so it runs ahead of the other 2. Google Chrome has its own flashplayer built in. Iron removes some of the privacy-compromising features of Google Chrome.

ETP

JWM PANEL APPLETS

#144 Post by ETP »

01micko wrote:Ok, I have tackled the insertion of panel applets, it's quite different to how Jason (plinej) did the original but still uses some of his code.

Works fine but I prefer ICEWM for its speed & ease of manipulation. :wink:
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

mavrothal

#145 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:Ok, I have tackled the insertion of panel applets, it's quite different to how Jason (plinej) did the original but still uses some of his code.

Works fine but shouldn't it have a menu entry or better yet right-clicking in the area?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

ETP

#146 Post by ETP »

mavrothal wrote:

Works fine but shouldn't it have a menu entry or better yet right-clicking in the area?
You could just add one as below:
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gcmartin

#147 Post by gcmartin »

Using a 1.5Ghz Centrino Laptop with 1GB RAM.

This distro and the packages installed runs very well on this platform. My steps were as follows to get a full-featured LAN PC
ISO to multi-session CDRW
Installed all the following packages outside of the PPM
SAMBA
JRE
AngryIP
Did a save session with the above 3
Rebooted and installed LibreOffice
Verified all subsystems functioning as expected including shares and share access.
Exercised a Remaster operation to capture all packages into a single ISO
Wiped the CDRW and burned the Remaster single ISO to the CDRW

Rebooted and everything is working harmonyously

scsijon

trying things out....

#148 Post by scsijon »

I like your new PPM!

However is their any chance of putting the search bar at the top with it's search icon (where all the buttons are now) and having the other buttons at the bottom.
Much more what would be expected...

01micko

#149 Post by 01micko »

Added an "Are you sure" Xdialog to the deletion of current launchers in the panel for JWM
Attachments
jwm_panel_buttons-0.2.pet
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
safe_delete.png
(63.63 KiB) Downloaded 1387 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#150 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:Added an "Are you sure" Xdialog to the deletion of current launchers in the panel for JWM
Ok... I got jealous... :D
So I hacked it a bit to make it control a JWM applications panel. Good for small screens :wink:
The attached pet will also generate the (auto-hidden) applications panel on the top of the screen.
It also has a menu entry under "Desktop"

Update v0.2 prompts for Desksetup if present

Update 2 v0.3 allows positioning of the applications panel in any side.
The pet is a bit bigger because it includes the mini icons so it can be used in any puppy

Update 3 v0.4 fixes the addfunction, gives the option to edit entries and looks better :D

Update 5 v0.5 allows to resize the panel "thickness" (hight or width). Also minimizes scenarios that may be messed up by user actions.

Update 6 v0.6 allows reordering of the panel buttons and moved to its own thread
Attachments
jwm_app_tray-0.5.pet
Control panel for an applications tray
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
app_panel_config5.jpg
(54.8 KiB) Downloaded 1118 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:01, edited 8 times in total.

Billtoo

Re: JWM PANEL APPLETS

#151 Post by Billtoo »

ETP wrote: Works fine but I prefer ICEWM for its speed & ease of manipulation. :wink:
Me too.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(130.18 KiB) Downloaded 1212 times

cowboy

slacko beta 2

#152 Post by cowboy »

I used unetbootin to burn the iso onto a fat partition of a USB. Booted without issue onto this machine, a Dell Latitude laptop. Initial impressions - mouse travel and behavior much improved on touchpad, compared to 5.3.1, wireless bcm4311 broadcom detected and wpa connection made.

EDIT: created heavily encrypted savefile on fat partition on exit. On reboot, savefile found and loaded, and all settings (including wireless) came back on reboot. Found the new savefile dialog interesting. Seems....geekier....not bad, just geekier. For an existing user, it's probably excellent. Fine work, 01micko. And Happy St. Patrick's to you!

Processor
Processors
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz 800.00MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz 2200.00MHz

PCI Devices
Host bridge Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub
VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
Display controller Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
USB Controller Intel Corporation 82801H
Audio device Intel Corporation 82801H
PCI bridge Intel Corporation 82801H
PCI bridge Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
ISA bridge Intel Corporation 82801HEM
IDE interface Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM
SATA controller Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM
SMBus Intel Corporation 82801H
CardBus bridge O2 Micro, Inc. Cardbus bridge
FireWire (IEEE 1394) O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire
Ethernet controller Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

Brown Mouse

#153 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hi 01micko

All running well on my desktop with 3gb ram/3mhz Pentium4 dual core machine.
Working sound at first boot.
Created a savefile with ease and rebooted.
I installed Flash Player(required to stream my radio programs)via 'Getflash Install Flashplayer' from the menu.
Updated 'PPM'from 'Slickpet,More Pets'tab.
Not quite sure why when I choose a graphics driver from 'Slickpet',it suggests to use 'Mesa'when I have an Nvidia card but maybe I missed something?

Couple of other small things:-
Pmusic 2.4.4 doesn't give any track description or album art.
Pwidgets 2.3.6 CPU_bar not working.

Otherwise looking great.Thanks :)

Iguleder

#154 Post by Iguleder »

01micko - would you like me to build a x86_64 kernel for Slacko? I'm currently running my distro, which uses Slackware 13.37 binary packages, so it's compatible.

This could be a very nice addition to 5.3 - it allows both the use of >= 4 GB of memory and 64-bit chroot environments, which means it's a good environment to develop a 64-bit 5.4 on :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

zigbert

#155 Post by zigbert »

Brown Mouse wrote:Pmusic 2.4.4 doesn't give any track description or album art.
Please test the latest Pmusic-2.5.0 and report in the Pmusic thread if it doesn't work. It would be useful to get more flesh on the report than just: do not work...

thank you
Sigmund

Brown Mouse

#156 Post by Brown Mouse »

zigbert wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Pmusic 2.4.4 doesn't give any track description or album art.
Please test the latest Pmusic-2.5.0 and report in the Pmusic thread if it doesn't work. It would be useful to get more flesh on the report than just: do not work...

thank you
Sigmund
Tested the latest version of Pmusic 2.5.0 and get the same results as described above.No track information,no album art and also no lyrics to the songs using a selection of cd's.

gcmartin

JRE

#157 Post by gcmartin »

I had just discovered that when I installed JRE via the PPM last week I did, indeed, encounter an error that I did not report. I apologize and am including it now for review.

This may have already been addressed in the distro, but, when I attempted to install JRE from the PPM, last week, I got this problem missing libs.

Hope this helps
Attachments
1.png
Lib not found at JRE installation
(17.29 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times

Jasper

#158 Post by Jasper »

Hi gcmartin,

In case it may be of interest I use Slickpet>Sfs get>jre (for v. 1.7.0.2011811)

My regards

gcmartin

Browser needs

#159 Post by gcmartin »

Seemed to remember this:
Iron was a quick upload.. Chrome is going up now. Both require GConf and ORBit .. search PPM
Had a problem trying to get GConf from PPM

Hope this helps
Attachments
GConf not found.png
Cannot find this package via PPM
(60.65 KiB) Downloaded 1022 times
Orbit installed.png
(27.98 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
Orbit installed2.png
(25.75 KiB) Downloaded 986 times

gcmartin

#160 Post by gcmartin »

Jasper wrote:Hi gcmartin,

In case it may be of interest I use Slickpet>Sfs get>jre (for v. 1.7.0.2011811)

My regards
Thanks @Jasper

Are you running a Live media system and using save-session to the live media when you reboot to retain your installation?

That is the problem where, I believe, SFS_Load -on-the-fly (and other SFS procedures) break down; namely, not designed to provide survival of the installed subsystem over reboots of Live media. No current sanctioned method for management of SFS files. TaZoC was trying to make some strides to address this before he became stricken with illness.

Right now, correct me if I'm wrong, but, the PPM method is the only way I know of to add system functionality and have it retained over reboots via the methodology which ships with Puppy Linux.

Any help, is appreciated.